Uncharted 4

inFAMOUS: Second Son: Smoke and Mirrors

Jaime Griesemer's Avatar + Posted by Jaime Griesemer on Aug 01, 2013 // Lead Designer at Sucker Punch Productions

“Well, if the good ending is canon, then it’s not Cole in the new game. And if it’s not Cole, it’s probably not electrical powers, right? And if it’s some other power source, what is it? And is that still Infamous?”

These were the questions that came up as soon as we started planning for our next game. Quite daunting, considering back then it was only my second week at Sucker Punch Productions. (That reminds me… Hi! I’m Jaime Griesemer, the Lead Designer on Second Son.) However, the team was full of ideas. Some were what you might expect: Earth powers! Water powers! Some were less traditional: Control over birds! Car powers! The power of friendship! We accumulated a list of dozens and dozens of possibilities. In the end, we decided that the reason electricity worked so well was because it was somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. Not a familiar trope, but not too abstract. An elemental power, but a modern, urban one. As we narrowed down the list, one power source that kept coming up was “Smoke”.

inFAMOUS Second Son on PS4

Smoke is great. It’s not common enough in games that there are a lot of expectations about what it can do, but it’s ripe with potential uses. It fuels your imagination. “What happens when you throw smoke at someone? Of course it explodes, but maybe it could linger and send enemies into fits of coughing? How do we make smoke into a melee weapon? Like a whip or something? Where do you get smoke from in Seattle? Could you wreck a car and then absorb the smoke from the engine fire? How does it feel to get smoke pumped directly into your face? Probably not good. Hey, what happens if you can turn into smoke? I bet that would be handy in a fight…”

Smoke also comes with some challenges. I’m no rendering programmer, but apparently smoke “causes rampant overdraw” and “consumes fill rate” and would be an “incredibly difficult effect to pull off as the basis for the entire game” and that we “should pick something else.” Whatever, this is new hardware! Let’s see what PS4 can do! Turns out, Sucker Punch’s programmers and artists were up for the challenge, and being a first party studio working directly with the hardware team has some advantages…

I think it turned out fantastic, but you can judge for yourself from the behind-the-scenes demonstration at the top of this post.

57 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ TomatoDragon on August 1st, 2013 at 9:02 am said:

The Infamous series was one of my favorite new Ip’s. Second Son is looking incredible!

+ akisuo on August 1st, 2013 at 9:11 am said:

Man, Second Son is looking so slick. I hate to see Cole no longer be in the games, but I’m very excited to play as Delsin!

+ tusunami on August 1st, 2013 at 9:14 am said:

I enjoyed all of the Infamous games & beat them all, this will be interesting as well as exciting to see where the series is going. 1 of the best super-hero action adventure games out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Senju_Karim on August 1st, 2013 at 9:16 am said:

Only inFamous game I missed was festival of blood. I can’t wait to see what other powers Delsin absorbs. I’d like to see them do water though.

+ reiner9 on August 1st, 2013 at 9:17 am said:

He is the son of Cole and Nix?

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on August 1st, 2013 at 9:28 am said:

Any chance of this being a PS4 launch title? It is by far the best looking PS4 game announced so far.

+ kingmike9 on August 1st, 2013 at 9:32 am said:

@ reiner9 He is a totally new character. No connection between him and the previous characters of Infamous.

+ reiner9 on August 1st, 2013 at 9:35 am said:

ok, thanks

+ Zacky-V-A7X on August 1st, 2013 at 9:52 am said:

Looks beyond awesome!!!!

+ Mobius2525 on August 1st, 2013 at 10:00 am said:

Day one buy for me!! I have at least a couple question for now.

Will Zeke make an appearance in this game?

Also heard a rumor that there might be a infamous Vita version in development, (hope it’s true would love to play the series on the go).

+ almex2 on August 1st, 2013 at 10:10 am said:

SOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED FOR THIS FRIGGING GAME. LOVE YOU, SUCKER PUNCH!!!

+ Shin-Ra on August 1st, 2013 at 10:10 am said:

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune (sadly not the later games) had really amazing 3D-looking explosions where the light and gasses looked like they were billowing up within the smoke. Maybe Sucker Punch could research that and fix the low-res transparency on car explosions if you haven’t already.

+ TO_PROFESIONAL on August 1st, 2013 at 10:20 am said:

This game looks amazing cant wait to get it

+ tomrex_120 on August 1st, 2013 at 10:25 am said:

I’m so looking forward to having this game. It looks sick!

+ DLDirtyLarry on August 1st, 2013 at 10:45 am said:

Easily my most anticipated title of next generation on either system. as it is so far, the game that most screams Next Gen. The gameplay is already incredibly solid in this series, and it just looks like that formula is being improved upon. Add the amazing visuals that have been shown thus far, and you truly have a winning combination. As much as I am looking forward to playing it, I am actually glad it is delayed. Take whatever time is needed to make it perfect. Definitely.

+ BlueBl1zzard on August 1st, 2013 at 10:45 am said:

platinumed infamous 1and 2 now, so can’t wait for this one!

+ DonRodie on August 1st, 2013 at 10:58 am said:

game looks amazing, that is all.

+ smokinace6 on August 1st, 2013 at 11:01 am said:

This is easily looking to be one of the best looking next-gen games right now…now we just need inFamous on Vita!!!

+ lisatsunami on August 1st, 2013 at 11:13 am said:

No doubt I will love this latest installment in this series. Wouldn’t a CE version be a great idea? I’ll pre-order that so hope you think about it.

A cross-play version on the Vita would be the ultimate so I can be a superhero on the go! Or, maybe even a supervillian sometimes.

+ rwlove on August 1st, 2013 at 11:14 am said:

#5 he cant be seeing as this takes place only 7 or so years after the events of infamous 2

+ an-inFamous1337 on August 1st, 2013 at 11:27 am said:

The first two games were two of my top favorite titles on the PS3. One of the very few reasons i am getting a PS4 is to get my hands on Second Son besides that my most favorite voice actor is involved with the character, Troy Baker!

+ xZEEZO on August 1st, 2013 at 11:51 am said:

Sucker Punch is one of the best developers , thanks for all the great games you guys have given us over the years and i have no doubt that this game will kick @$$

+ snakeeyes211 on August 1st, 2013 at 12:03 pm said:

Day 1 buy

+ iKilla11-2 on August 1st, 2013 at 12:07 pm said:

Can anyone tell me how Delsin’s power is different from Nix on Infamous 2?

+ Zezzler on August 1st, 2013 at 12:19 pm said:

inFamous Second Son is one of the few games that actually looks *Next Gen* in my eyes… and I could not be more excited to get my hands on it!

Loved the first two inFamous games, but this one looks exponentially better! Can’t wait for it!

+ Ender_Bean on August 1st, 2013 at 12:54 pm said:

Just need an official release date. This is by far the game I’m most looking forward to on the PS4.

+ D-Squad3 on August 1st, 2013 at 12:56 pm said:

RELEASE DATE PLEASE!!!

And I love his dashing/dematerializing power.

+ DarkOne_PR on August 1st, 2013 at 1:24 pm said:

day one for me obviously

+ ZAANOS on August 1st, 2013 at 1:28 pm said:

High expectations for this, those animations and character models are top notch. It’s great to see this showcase on the character’s powers, I’M MORE INTERESTED in seeing what you are doing with the open world and how alive it is. I hope this game feels more organic than the last two, after a while some encounters became repetitive. The world characters have to be more chatty in Second Son, in addition would be great to see more random events in the game, stopping heists/car chases, putting out fires.

+ race2winnet on August 1st, 2013 at 1:52 pm said:

I just want to state, for the record, that I have never been this excited for a video game in my 42 years on this earth! Every new video causes this child-like excitement to build inside of me that makes me feel like I am going to burst! Everyone else can keep the 20-25 FPS that all look and play the same, I will take this beautiful work of art right here! Thank you Sucker Punch for the amazing work!! You guys have created a masterpiece!!

+ MarinoBrea on August 1st, 2013 at 2:23 pm said:

SMOKING!

+ GhostMachine1 on August 1st, 2013 at 2:50 pm said:

Going through vents looks amazing! XD

+ oo7PorscheMGS on August 1st, 2013 at 2:53 pm said:

This game is looking BETTER than Watch Dogs in my opinion… and I DONT just mean the beautiful graphics and GREAT special effects + smoooooooooooth gameplay+moves. I think it will be a better game… story wise and gameplay wise I’m hoping it will be great just like Sucker Punch’s other games… so far it looks more fun and “free” than watch dogs. It’s all up to the story… hopefully it’s a powerful and not too short of a story, and the missions have enough variety……….. That is what will make the difference between these 2 games on which one to buy (unless both are GREAT)… not to mention whichever game is more fun / gives us more powers + awesome fights. So far this game has got my vote in the “fun gameplay” area, but story / character wise we obviously need to see more. Send me my review copy………… ;)

+ oo7PorscheMGS on August 1st, 2013 at 2:55 pm said:

I’ve gotta say again though, this game has A M A Z I N G looking effects… shows you how beautiful a game can be when it’s specifically made + focused / tuned for ONE system. Can’t wait for more! Seattle will be a fun, gritty playground too.

+ Tchanku on August 1st, 2013 at 5:01 pm said:

Give it to me now!

+ MushThePainter on August 1st, 2013 at 5:11 pm said:

This game screams next gen. Definitely my most anticipated PS4 game

+ GeoDarky on August 1st, 2013 at 6:00 pm said:

WOW! well done SuckerPunch you guys outdone yourselves, the game looks amazing the graphics are outstanding and the gameplay is better than ever, i have a feelings InFamous 2nd Son is going to be BIG on PS4

+ Amplifier82 on August 1st, 2013 at 6:48 pm said:

Sony! More of this type of games will win you our hearts and hard earned money! Keep up the great work Sucker Punch we are loving it!

+ israelpacheco89 on August 1st, 2013 at 8:38 pm said:

This game is looking excellent! Wish it were a launch title but I’m fine with it being released sometime within Q1 of next year. That way I can get through the first two Infamous games within that time period.

+ TheGuardianFID on August 1st, 2013 at 8:39 pm said:

That was all kinds of awesome, adding this one to my inFAMOUS Collection, collector’s edition of course! 8)

+ deafwing on August 2nd, 2013 at 6:21 am said:

okay the best thing they said and showed was that ..

VENT trip …

impressive :D

+ deafwing on August 2nd, 2013 at 6:24 am said:

man … this reminds of the first time I saw the first inFamous game … impressive!

+ Metalsonic_69 on August 2nd, 2013 at 8:01 am said:

inFamous 2 was the first game I ever platinum’d. I hope this game gets advertised, because it could be an excellent selling point for the PS4.

+ Welmosca on August 2nd, 2013 at 12:31 pm said:

1:18 are those figures of Naruto and Sasuke?..ha how awesome.

Anyway love these devs videos…the animations of Second Son are looking top notch…good job SP…the graphics are amazing…the best graphics after Shadow Fall.Although I dislike you guys removing Cole from the game but this Delsin Rowe guy looks ok….Second Son is a must buy.

+ Elvick_ on August 2nd, 2013 at 3:25 pm said:

Is there a walk cycle and a more relaxed idle? Because, all we ever see is him standing with his legs forty feet apart and then sprinting off.

+ OmegaRazek on August 2nd, 2013 at 4:07 pm said:

The name of this post reminds me the Aztec God Tezcatlipoca. His name means “Smoking Mirror”.

+ rmasuda on August 2nd, 2013 at 7:49 pm said:

I’m excited about it. Really going to get it…

+ Shauneepeak on August 2nd, 2013 at 9:54 pm said:

Oh, looks like they’re trying to make it as hard as possible on us to play the good guy this time around. Destroying everything is just so fun. =P

+ OmegaSpear on August 2nd, 2013 at 10:10 pm said:

I see the smoke but where are the mirrors? lol
Cant wait for this.

+ CommandingTiger on August 3rd, 2013 at 8:46 am said:

This Game Looks far More Badass thanany other Infamous.
First day purchase!