PS4 - Destiny

July 2013 PSN Top Sellers: Shadow of the Colossus Climbs to the Top

Paul Sullivan's Avatar + Posted by Paul Sullivan on Aug 08, 2013 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

Naughty Dog’s hugely successful title The Last of Us continues to succeed on PSN, but it didn’t quite take the top slot this time. Thanks to the Summer Blast sale, the PlayStation classic Shadow of the Colossus climbed the charts to become the best-selling game in July.

Other notable Summer Blast sale entries include Mortal Kombat and Batman: Arkham Asylum from Warner Bros. and Ratchet & Clank: Collection. Stealth Inc., which was part of our PSN Play promotion, also made a big splash for publisher Curve Digital.

We’re looking forward to an exciting end of the summer and start of an amazing fall for gamers in 2013, so keep your eye on these charts to see what each month’s shakers and movers will be!

Click here to see July’s EU charts.

Top 20 PSN Games of The Month

3. Sola Radio
  4. Beats Trellis
  5. Cytus Lambda

Top 10 Classics

Metal Gear Solid
San Andreas
  1. Metal Gear Solid (PS3/PSP)
  2. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  3. FINAL FANTASY VII (PS3/PSP/PS Vita)
  4. Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001
  5. The Warriors
  6. Bully
  7. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
  8. Crash Bandicoot (PS3/PSP)
  9. FINAL FANTASY IX (PS3/PSP/PS Vita)
  10. FINAL FANTASY VIII (PS3/PSP/PS Vita)

Top 10 PSP Games

7. PAC-MAN Championship Edition
  8. HISTORY Ice Road Truckers
  9. N.O.V.A.
  10. Wizorb

47 Comments

+ erapago on August 8th, 2013 at 6:35 am said:

Not a single fighting game in the PSP top ten and yet it seems like we’re getting them through PS+ every other month.

+ khknight on August 8th, 2013 at 6:36 am said:

THE LAST GUARDIAN

WHERE IS IT.

+ Mercenary09 on August 8th, 2013 at 6:38 am said:

Wow congrats to Shadow of the Colossus! That game is a masterpiece and nice to see a lot more people are giving it a chance.

+ whitepony02027 on August 8th, 2013 at 6:43 am said:

Very happy to see Stealth Inc. sneak its way into the top 10 vita games. Picked it up on a whim while it was on sale to help kill time on an airplane when it launched and have not stopped playing it since.

+ fede01_8 on August 8th, 2013 at 6:47 am said:

five years later and GTA IV still on the top ten. And yet, no word on the digital version of GTA V… :(

+ remanutd5 on August 8th, 2013 at 6:48 am said:

So where is The Last Guardian sony?
Ratchet and Clank Into the Nexus psvita has been listed at amazon france with a november release date, hopefully thats true, and for the love of god im in the killzone mercenary beta, please release a tv spot of the game, this is your system seller, the game feels,looks and plays phenomenal on the psvita, tearaway, ratchet and clank coming out soon, time to start advertising quality gaming on the go?

+ fede01_8 on August 8th, 2013 at 6:48 am said:

See, if you had more great sales like the Summer sale and not make us wait for another year

+ Gigidy17 on August 8th, 2013 at 6:51 am said:

I wonder if PS2 classics will ever be playable on the PSVITA playing GTA San Andreas on it would be awesome.

+ BlueBl1zzard on August 8th, 2013 at 6:51 am said:

Cool, nice to see shadow of the colossus take the top spot. Just a tip to any ps3/vita owners, shadow of the colossus is playable on vita through remote play.

+ Binarynova on August 8th, 2013 at 7:11 am said:

Number 3 highest selling mini: Gamocracy One: Legend of Robot.

Hmm. ;)

+ EFUS09 on August 8th, 2013 at 7:17 am said:

i really don´t know why you can download metal gear solid and crash bandicoot psone classics to your ps3/psp but not for ps vita, i really want play that classics on my ps vita

+ StalkerD on August 8th, 2013 at 7:25 am said:

Really would like to have PS2 classics playable on the PS Vita. The console is more than powerful enough to emulate the PS2. It would be a fantastic feature for the PSV.

+ MickeyWard09 on August 8th, 2013 at 7:35 am said:

SW Battlefront still in the top 3 PSP games. EA, please make the new Battlefront for he Vita too!

@ #11 EFUS09, I believe you can play MGS on Vita, but you have to download it to PS3 first then transfer to Vita. Doesn’t work with Crash though.

+ YoungSpade141 on August 8th, 2013 at 7:50 am said:

Im going to try Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2, Mortal Kombat Vita, and I so want to play The Last of Us. I’m going to pick up The Last of Us first.

+ TwinDad on August 8th, 2013 at 8:19 am said:

@erapago,

Yet the #1 game for Vita is…. Mortal Kombat. A fighting game. And it was not a PS+ freebie either.

+ ChaosMafioso on August 8th, 2013 at 8:35 am said:

Glad to see CvS:2 up there ^^

@15,

It was US$5 last month, no wonder it’s #1 ._.
Next month, Rayman will be taking a lot of spots in the rankings.

+ chavez1138 on August 8th, 2013 at 8:39 am said:

@TwinDad and your point is? maybe you like to have psp fighting games join the IGC all the time… I can relate to @erapago when he is adressing the fact that the IGC has not been well balanced.

P.S. MK for vita is up there because it was a great sale price for a AAA Vita game.

+ PrinceofXIII on August 8th, 2013 at 9:09 am said:

Metal Gear Solid PS1 still on top!!

probably because of The Legacy Collection though :P

+ General_Keenaye on August 8th, 2013 at 9:27 am said:

Can we get an overall top 50 sales list thus far this year for PS3/PSP/PSN as we enter the PS4 generation?

+ GhostMachine1 on August 8th, 2013 at 9:41 am said:

How did Shadow of the Colossus get to the top? HD collection has been out for a long time.

+ boomstickbhg on August 8th, 2013 at 10:14 am said:

Lists like these are neat BUT….

Can we please also get a list of the top selling games that were NOT on sale ?

Sales make it seem like games are more popular than they are (5 dollar batman? Already own physical but why not grab the cheap digital I didn’t really need for example). (alice at 4 dollars does not a good game make)

It would be nice to see what the real top sellers are, when sales aren’t factored in.

That way I can really get a grasp on what the best/most popular games are, not just the ones with the most frequent sales.

Thanks.

+ Mando44646 on August 8th, 2013 at 10:17 am said:

maybe sometime Sony will follow through on their promise of trophy support for PS Mobile titles…

+ slayeron117 on August 8th, 2013 at 10:27 am said:

I’m suprised The Last of Us isn’t on top

+ supermoc10 on August 8th, 2013 at 10:32 am said:

Off-Topic: I have a question. Will the DualShock 4 work on PS3? While I will get a PS4 Day 1, I wanted to know that because I’ll be returning to the PS3 a lot because of PS Plus. I’d hate to have to go back to the DS3 after all the good things I’ve heard about the DS4.

+ duke301 on August 8th, 2013 at 10:43 am said:

A lot of the games there were on sale in the last month. Big surprise there. I am surprised, however, that Shadow of the Colossus jumped over The Last of Us.

+ PainOfSarrow on August 8th, 2013 at 11:15 am said:

Terraria was the worst game i ever bought on psn… the impossible game is the best mini. also i hate that the list is mixed together with PSN games and Retail games. just like IGN are now no longer going to have a best games list of the year without seperating them. damnn shame

+ TwinDad on August 8th, 2013 at 11:33 am said:

@chavez1138

I do not like Fighting games no matter the platform. And I would be very delighted if another fighting game never game to PS+ regardless of the platform it is on. My point was that somebody obviously like fighting games as it’s #1 vita. I’m sure it didn’t hurt that it’s $5. I suspect that as Sony has access to the numbers they could know something that we don’t know and that’s the reason they are giving them away. Or it could be low sales as others have suggested and it get them into players hands for their next game.

+ YorlecmNwahs on August 8th, 2013 at 11:56 am said:

Go to Google

Search “Let’s Get FlatOut Head On PS Vita Compatible”

Click on the first result.

Sign the petition please.

+ Wizman87 on August 8th, 2013 at 12:13 pm said:

Maybe next time we’ll also see the entire Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection go on sale? Seeing as the original game alone sold so well during the Summer Sale, then so should the collection too? Boldly enough to say, even so much more as to surpass the millions of copies of The Last of Us that were sold (albeit, in retail, not digital sales)! Or better yet, give the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection to PS+ subscribers!

Another idea: It’d be fantastic to see a first-party (or third-party) games sale go on too! For example, franchises or classics like: Jak and Daxter, Uncharted, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Killzone, Resistance, God of War, inFamous, LittleBigPlanet, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, MediEvil, Final Fantasy, etc? Especially more-so for Jak and Daxter’s HD Collection! <3

Get my idea through to Sony's sales team! Thanks for the update, Paul! ^_^

+ Welmosca on August 8th, 2013 at 12:54 pm said:

Wow Shadow on the top….thats a surprise but good at the same time…people need to own that game..easily one of the best games ever made…my collection disc is still sealed but I played on PS2 years ago.Batman on 4th is quite surprising…thought everybody had Asylum already….anyway B.O 2 owning the DLCs sales again….damn people really waste their money on CoD dont they?…paying $15 for DLC.Oh well.Always good to see the top sellers…keep it up.

+ sicuro95 on August 8th, 2013 at 3:34 pm said:

Call of Duty DLC’s always have the most top ratings, I find the DLC’s boring :(

+ JMBlakk on August 8th, 2013 at 4:00 pm said:

I forgot Shadow was remote play I would have got it. I did get Mortal Kombat on Vita ($5) I couldn’t pass that up, and Alice:Madness Return came in at number 9. That’s no surprise since it was $4 for 2 games, I wonder if Rayman Origins will be in top 5 for this month. I myself never played a rayman game so I got the first one for the PSone, its $1.50 right now if you have plus

+ chrisgomez3030 on August 8th, 2013 at 4:25 pm said:

they should put one of those psp games for plus instead of the garbage they give.

+ FreshLikeWill on August 8th, 2013 at 4:25 pm said:

Original PlayStation grey DualShock 4. You guys should make that. I would buy 4 of them.

+ Rezolution77 on August 8th, 2013 at 4:31 pm said:

Hopefully, you guys are smart enough to keep the sales coming.

Especially, since there is not much left for the month, after Hitman.

Rayman Origins, I am sure will be there next time.
(Thanks Again, not only will I enjoy it, but my four sons will too.)

Lets stay positive, and believe that there will be more on the way.

+ Lefoul-123 on August 8th, 2013 at 4:48 pm said:

Great thing, I got 4 of those first 10. Shadow of the collossus deserve to be # 1 its a game that I got having the physical copy for ps2, but wanted to play it on hd with trophies. And its a great thing for people of ico team and sony to move and release the last guardian already, that game by itself would make people buy ps4 the first months.

+ Costa-RA on August 8th, 2013 at 6:09 pm said:

Hello! I have a question:
I want to play Metal Gear Solid on ps vita.
This Metal Gear Solid also works on ps vita? PSN in Europe shows that yes, but not America. I’m confused …
Crash Team Race also the same thing happens …
Thank you.

+ mrk1976 on August 8th, 2013 at 6:14 pm said:

Slightly off topic, but X-Men in the top 20 reminded me: is there any way Sony could convince Konami to make both X-Men Arcade and The Simpsons Arcade for Vita?

+ saab01 on August 8th, 2013 at 6:16 pm said:

I wish some of these top sellers were free for plus members.

+ RidgeRacerType4 on August 8th, 2013 at 7:54 pm said:

legend of robot is such an amazing game!

+ Yuri-Onee-Chan on August 9th, 2013 at 4:46 am said:

I just got SoC and ICO and I wish I had time to play them ;_; 2 of my favorite ps2 games.

+ Blackxino on August 9th, 2013 at 4:46 am said:

we need Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks on PSN Store PS2 Classics.
(i will not stop until this is achieved on EU PSN Store) >:/

+ tusunami on August 9th, 2013 at 8:58 am said:

This is a outrage TLOU is at number 2, I know SOTC is a superb game & all but man. Oh well if it’s going to be a game to battle for the number 1 spot it’s a good choice.

+ chavez1138 on August 9th, 2013 at 9:44 am said:

@TwinDad

“didn’t hurt” is a huge understatement, the only reason for MK on Vita to be number one is the sale, check out other months’ top 10… even I bought MK (PS3) at that price! and I usually usually hate fighting games, to me MK and Injustice are the only acceptable fighting games out there, they are fun to play with friends…

+ TerraAshura on August 9th, 2013 at 2:54 pm said:

Real glad to see Shadow of the Colossus on top for a change. One of the best games I’ve ever played.

Also kinda surprised with MGS at the top of the Classics section. I’m guessing it’d count code redemptions from the MGS Legacy Collection which pushed it a bit over the top.

+ sidney25lucas on August 11th, 2013 at 4:52 pm said:

I want the crash bandicoot but not against the U.S. in my psn ps vita for honeycomb I need it for my ps vita ps one classic … add in psn US plz

+ blue13moon on August 15th, 2013 at 11:47 am said:

Call of duty black ops revolution is awesome