PS4-The Order

PlayStation Plus: Runner 2 Dashes to the Instant Game Collection

Morgan Haro's Avatar + Posted by Morgan Haro on Aug 12, 2013 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

This week in PlayStation Plus, you’ll find the fantastic Bit.Trip presents Runner 2 (sporting one of the longer names in gaming) free for PS Plus members, along with PS Vita content on sale as part of the PS Vita Japanese Games sale . With the likes of Soul Sacrifice, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus, and Touch My Katamari, there’s plenty of content to download to your PS Vita this week.

Lastly, if you haven’t had a chance to get your hands on the latest Tomb Raider, now is a great time to not only download the game and a handful of DLC content along with it, but also snag the fantastic Quantum Conundrum along with it!

All that content and more awaits in this week’s PlayStation Plus update which goes live on 8/13 with the PS Store update.

PlayStation Plus - 1-year MembershipPlayStation Plus - 3-month Membership

August 12th PlayStation Plus Update

Bit.Trip Presents…Runner2: Future Legend Of Rhythm Alien (PS3)

Regular Price: $14.99, Free for PS Plus members

Runner 2
Runner2 is a rhythm-music, auto-running platformer. Players will run through fantastic environments, using brand new moves, to amazing new soundtracks as they run, jump, slide, kick, and soar toward the goal of tracking down the Nefarious Timbletot who has un-fused CommanderVideo’s reality. Runner2 features 5 exciting worlds, 125 tantalizing levels and 5 death defying BOSS battles! Play as 8 different characters and find secret areas to unlock new and zany costumes!
Tomb Raider Bundle (includes Quantum Conundrum)

Regular Price: $44.99; PS Store Sale Price: $22.49; PS Plus Price: $20.24

Tomb Raider
The Tomb Raider Digital Edition bundle includes:

• The full Tomb Raider game.
  • 3-pack bundle of the weapons Agent 47 uses in Hitman: Absolution.
  • Shanty Town multiplayer map, which is a ramshackle area that features steep climbs, multiple ziplines for quick escapes, and deadly traps to set for your enemies.
  • Tomb Raider Outfit Pack (A 3-pack bundle of outfits for Lara — the Hunter, Aviatrix and Guerilla outfits.)
  • Quantum Conundrum Full Game
Runner2: Good Friends Character Pack

Regular Price: $2.99; PS Plus Price: $2.39

Runner 2 Good Friends
In most instances, “DLC” stands for “downloadable content.” With the Good Friends Character Pack, however, it stands for “downright lovable characters.” Featuring the likes of Josef (Machinarium), Spelunky Guy (Spelunky), Razputin (Psychonauts), Dr. Fetus (Super Meat Boy), Quote (Cave Story), and Invisible CommanderVideo (duh), it’s a virtual tour de force of indelible indie awesomeness. It’ll run you (pun intended) about as much as a cup of coffee, and is scientifically proven to give you an energy boost equivalent to about eight pounds of espresso beans. Your heart might start beating dangerously fast, but your eyes and ears (and maybe even your nose – why not?) will most definitely thank you.
PS Vita Japanese Games Sale (PS Vita)

Various Discounts

PS Vita Japanese Games Sale
Over the next two weeks we’re celebrating Japanese-developed games on PS Vita by giving you sweet discounts on some of their best titles. Starting tomorrow, we’re offering discounts on a great collection of PS Vita games, with discounts up to 50% off! PlayStation Plus members get an added bonus, receiving up to 75% off.

Last Chance (Leaving on 8/20)

Instant Game Collection

$24.99

$17.49

Gravity Rush

$35.99

$24.99

Free

*Correction: Street Fighter X Tekken will be on sale during the second week of the sale, and Sumomi: Demon Arts will be on sale during the first week of the sale.

You’ll find all the content detailed above with their Plus benefits active when the PlayStation Store updates on 8/13. We’ll be back next week with more details on the game arriving to the Instant Game Collection as well as any other benefits we can share.

If you’ve got feedback or thoughts on today’s Plus update, leave them below, or, if you’re looking to engage with more of the PS community, make sure you head over to the PlayStation Community to discuss this week’s news, find other topics to contribute your thoughts to, or start one for yourself. See you in the comments!

PlayStation Plus Update 8-13-2013

PAGE 1 2 3 6

+ Ryumoau on August 12th, 2013 at 8:01 am said:

sigh…the Vita sale is the only thing good this week.

+ StingrayX on August 12th, 2013 at 8:05 am said:

Awesome! Keep it going!

+ Gorvi on August 12th, 2013 at 8:05 am said:

I want Runner, but I really want it on the Vita. The last update was that it was coming late July/early August. Any update?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on August 12th, 2013 at 9:07 am said:

I don’t have any news on any new ports of Runner2, but check with the Gaijin Games guys on their website to see if there might be any information there. For now, it’s PS3 only. And a great game too!

+ nolo451 on August 12th, 2013 at 8:05 am said:

Runner 2 is a fun game. Bought it earlier this year and and had a great time with it.

Even though I already own it, glad other people will have a shot at it for free.

+ Monterossa on August 12th, 2013 at 8:06 am said:

I don’t even have a Vita yet but I’m gonna buy Atelier Totori Plus.

+ bldudas on August 12th, 2013 at 8:07 am said:

I might get Atelier Totori Plus for that price.

+ akisuo on August 12th, 2013 at 8:07 am said:

I do believe it’s time for me to finally buy Tomb Raider. Saw the last time it was on sale, but never jumped on it. I think it’s time to jump on it. =) Love the consistent time for Monday’s!

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on August 12th, 2013 at 9:08 am said:

I think you’ll definitely enjoy it, definitely a one of my favorites I’ve played this year. And you’ll get Quantum Conundrum with it since it comes with it bundled.

+ wilfareus on August 12th, 2013 at 8:08 am said:

I would love Runner on the Vita too

+ derb on August 12th, 2013 at 8:09 am said:

Runner 2, nice.

Like them deals. Street Fighter X Tekken for me thanks.

+ Marcellus on August 12th, 2013 at 8:09 am said:

In the “What’s your favorite content from this week’s update?” question there is no answer for “I don’t own these, but nothing for me this week.” Both of the last two are “I (own/already have) the content, so nothing for me this week.”

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on August 12th, 2013 at 9:09 am said:

ah, thank you, it’s now been fixed

+ FabioSooner on August 12th, 2013 at 8:10 am said:

Runner 2 is one of the best games of the year, and it was released less than 6 months ago. Great choice.
For those complaining, leave your ADHD disorder behind and do a little research on it.

Played it on PC, will gladly download and play it again, and maybe even buy it again on Vita just to see those gorgeous visuals on the best screen any handheld device could ever get currently.

+ Johnny_Leyenda on August 12th, 2013 at 8:10 am said:

Nothing for me this week, even though Runner looks fun I hate the art design for it, I liked Bit.Trip Runner’s much better. And I don’t have a Vita so I won’t be able to make good use of the sweet deals this week.

In any case, thanks for the update!

+ Shinra_Soldier7 on August 12th, 2013 at 8:11 am said:

Any chance will we will more than one full game next month? Also can we actually get NFS Most Wanted Wanted next month or are there any news yet we might be? It would be nice to get something other than the shooters and same genres we keep getting each month. Plus games needs to offer a better variety on the full games so all types of gamers can get something in their preferred genre.

+ SherSher_Holmes on August 12th, 2013 at 8:11 am said:

Some decent releases for Plus members. Definitely picking up Tomb Raider. Really wish we could see something like the original .hack// series from the PS2 re-released as either a PS2 classic or remastered in HD for the PS Vita. It was one of the most underrated JRPG series that made it over to the states.

+ Blood-Pudding on August 12th, 2013 at 8:11 am said:

Woo! Runner 2!

May look into some of these Vita Discounts as well.

We’ll likely be talking about some of these on the all new the Go For Rainbow Podcast Versus Series!

We go head to head each week against another video game podcast, then select one element from it to permanently incorporate into our own show! Have a listen. Send us some comments and let’s talk about these great PSN offerings each Wednesday!

Go For Rainbow Versus #1 “Polygon.com’s The Besties vs. Go For Rainbow”
iTunes — tinyurl.com/GoForRainbow
Direct Download — tinyurl.com/GFRDirect

+ BuriedSorrow on August 12th, 2013 at 8:13 am said:

Really? You couldn’t of just made Tomb Raider $19.99?

+ rustohariken on August 12th, 2013 at 8:14 am said:

The vita sales are awesome, maybe i will spend about $70 for them and ummm… Maybe a new memory card, 16G is not enough at all

+ snakeeyes211 on August 12th, 2013 at 8:14 am said:

@.morgan
the Sony press conference at gamescom will there be a live feed???

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on August 12th, 2013 at 9:11 am said:

stay tuned to the PS Blog for updates on ways to watch PlayStation at Gamescom

+ TimeSkipLuffyUS on August 12th, 2013 at 8:15 am said:

Runner… whatever… might not be that bad… but compared to EU PS+ it puts US PS+ to shame…
Tomb Raider & Vita sales on the other hand is great if you want to own the games. There is hope you still get them someday with PS+… more hopes on EU PS+ though ;)
Sony… maybe it’s time to use your brain to read all these comments about EUUS PS+ and treat us subscribers more fair?

+ alarionultima on August 12th, 2013 at 8:15 am said:

i want runner2 on vita too -_-

+ viceforce on August 12th, 2013 at 8:17 am said:

@ 17 32 Gigs isn’t enough either.

+ Ryumoau on August 12th, 2013 at 8:18 am said:

@16
yeah its weird they wouldn’t round it down to under $20, considering alot of people use psn cards. :/

+ victormartinUSA on August 12th, 2013 at 8:21 am said:

So excited about Runner 2!!!!

+ BuriedSorrow on August 12th, 2013 at 8:22 am said:

@22
I know, I’ll have like $20.18 when I get a $20 card, lol. That sucks.

+ SiriusCJS on August 12th, 2013 at 8:23 am said:

Morgan, were you ever going to respond to anything from last week? There was a LOT of hate for this month, & rightfully so.

In the past you’ve said things like, “we listen to you & feedback is given to the team”. How can that be if there’s a yet another PSP FIGHTING game as a PS Vita title? I mean, is it a joke for you guys at this point?

This month & last were abysmal. I loved the summer sale & I definitely dig Hitman, but jesus… EU got 3 PS3 games. We got one along with 2 Android apps. I don’t care how well reviewed they are. You’re pawning off Zen Pinball DLC as a PS3 game. A person can get Star Wars Pinball for $1.99 on their smartphone & endless runners are a dime a dozen. We go to our PS3 to play console games, not enlarged phone apps. I understand that some weeks/months aren’t for everybody, but at least give us the caliber of game we expect to play. I don’t even care for what EU got, but they got 3 full PS3 games.

I’m beginning to think the US team is just lazy compared to Europe. If I had the option to cancel I would have done so within 2 minutes of that last blog being posted. We need a real way to send you guys the message that you’re not cutting it.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on August 12th, 2013 at 9:19 am said:

Thanks for the feedback! I think you’ll find I responded to plenty last week =) , But, the only thing I can say in regards to your feedback is that the regions are completely different with their own set of constraints. So while one region gets ‘X’ game, the other will be working to get ‘Y’ game, and the publishers or owners of each game have completely diffrent decision paths and factors from region to region. For example, EA in EU is different from EA in NA. We’re working to strive to always deliver the best content available and in the long run, I think you’ll find that your Plus membership is worth it. Keep in mind too that content is planned a long time in advance. So particular feedback may take time to be realized, but rest assured, it’s being delivered. Thanks!

+ CraddaPoosta on August 12th, 2013 at 8:25 am said:

This is a joke, right? EU gets Need for Speed : Most Wanted, and AGAIN, you give us artsy indie crap.

You should change the name of PS+ to ‘Shovelware that you aren’t even interested in for your Android’.

If it weren’t for the discounts, my subscription to PS+ would be the single purchase that I regret the most, in my entire lifetime of being a gamer.

It would be one thing if you didn’t bill it as something it wasn’t. You promise great games, and you deliver ancient PSP fighting games and the bottom of the barrel of $.99 apps that are usually available on Android.

It’s as if you’re not even listening to us. Every single post you make, you have hundreds of comments from your customers, BEGGING you to stop insulting us with your indie titles. Not every game has to be a GTA or a Final Fantasy, but, come ON.

Either drop a title worth having a PS+ subscription for, or stop describing PS+ as anything but a subscription-based discount service. That’s all it’s been good for, so far, with a half dozen exceptions.

+ jou321 on August 12th, 2013 at 8:26 am said:

The wait for Spelunky is killing me!! Please post at least a preorder discount for it.

+ Ktzzle on August 12th, 2013 at 8:28 am said:

I really wish we could have gotten maybe a clue what was coming for August maybe a week before the month started as my auto renew kicked in and now I’m paid through until October. PLUS NA is awful. I’m so sick of the indie games and trash. Basically offering an indie game on ps3 then the next month that same indie on Vita? taking up the spot of possibly a good game?? That’s a cheap tactic.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on August 12th, 2013 at 9:20 am said:

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

+ Fardeenah on August 12th, 2013 at 8:31 am said:

at this point i have pretty much given up IGC for the vita which plainly sucks for NA ps plus. all these psp games , atleast u could have given us god of war ghost of sparta and chains of olympus instead of these old unwanted games and give us native vita titles even if its a small downloadable title, gonna wait for gravity rush and uncharted to be replaced in november by LBP vita and AC 3 liberation. after that i dont have much hope. i rather stick with EU psn for ps plus.

and also atleast vita owners could atleast get a game at the start the month instead of waiting for the last two week. we could get something to play meanwhile.

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on August 12th, 2013 at 8:34 am said:

Cool, thanks. I will definitely check out Runner 2.

As usual, here’s my IGC wishlist:

God of War (all games in the series; digital versions of GOW3 & Ascension)
Grand Theft Auto (all games in the series)
Guacamelee
Hotline Miami
The Last of Us
Max Payne 3
Metal Gear Rising
Metal Gear Solid HD (PS3), digital version of MGS4
Red Dead Redemption
Red Faction Guerrilla & Armageddon
Stealth Inc
Uncharted 1 & 2
Velocity Ultra

Also, could you please add Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops to the Vita store?

+ GStylez1980 on August 12th, 2013 at 8:34 am said:

@25 I’m so sick of the personal attacks made by commentors on this blog. I’m fine with you saying you weren’t happy with this month’s Plus offering…personally, I agree with you about Darkstalkers PSP and the amount of fighting games given. But geez man, calling Sony employees “lazy” and saying that they don’t care and treating us like we’re jokes is out of line and inappropriate. You have no clue what goes into getting us these games and what roadblocks they may encounter. If you’ve listened to them on the Blogcast, there’s no way that you could believe that they don’t care about the Plus members. Please act like a decent human being and (as the rule states) don’t be a jerk.

+ iREVOLTER on August 12th, 2013 at 8:36 am said:

Tomb Raider Bundle (includes Quantum Conundrum)
Plus Price: $20.24

Oooohhh c’mon! Why can’t you make it like 19.99$ ? Too bad , it seems I will pass on this, but thx for discounts.

+ RE_Player on August 12th, 2013 at 8:36 am said:

Finally going to buy Atelier Totori Plus: The Adventurer of Arland as the price is now somewhat reasonable :P

+ IVANBARROK on August 12th, 2013 at 8:37 am said:

IGC = Indies Games Collection, now I understand everything!

+ SidNightwalker on August 12th, 2013 at 8:38 am said:

I have been wanting to try out a Runner game, but didn’t really want to pay anything for one, so that works out nicely for me.There’s plenty of asinine comments from Vita owners who should have clearly done some research before they ever got the idea of actually buying one, but a valid complaint is definitely way too many PSP fighting games.Nobody really wanted watered down PSP fighters when they came out, and they certainly don’t want them now.There are a hell of a lot more PSP games you could be offering that are a hell of a lot better, like all of the JRPG’s for example, such as the remake of Lunar, that would be much more appreciated by everyone, I’m sure.Whenever you guys have offered a non-fighter PSP game it’s been a pretty good to great one, so just keep that in mind, will ya?Also JRPG’s in general would be much appreciated. ;)

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on August 12th, 2013 at 8:39 am said:

@26 — We just got Hitman Absolution for free last week. That’s an awesome AAA game. Even if you already played it, many people haven’t, which makes it a great value. I even platinum’d and sold it already, but I still downloaded it again, because it’s a fun game, and I will play it again.

You don’t need a free game you love every week. You need a balance of free games and discounts throughout the course of the year that save you at least $50 to make the subscription worthwhile. PS+ absolutely delivers that, even if there isn’t something for every single person, every single week.

+ CharlesXavier13 on August 12th, 2013 at 8:40 am said:

Oh my goodness!
Thank you SO much for this. I’ve been asking for a discount to Atelier Totori Plus so bad!

+ Stranger_Eddie on August 12th, 2013 at 8:41 am said:

For all…

DO NOT BUY NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA PLUS 2

READ THIS:

V
V
V

“Is there a kind of developer plan to CORRECT the ABSURD graphical problems, slow down and UGLY technical inconsistent frame rate, present in Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus 2 for PS Vita version????

All reviews around the world is talking about this and NOBODY is doing ANY ATTENTION?

The first Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus for Vita is PERFECT! … But the SECOND have TECHNICAL PROBLEMS and NOBODY DID NOTHING!”

+ bajor27 on August 12th, 2013 at 8:43 am said:

Guess I won’t be buying Runner2 on my WiiU. Thanks Sony. Can’t wait to play this!

+ GStylez1980 on August 12th, 2013 at 8:44 am said:

As for my thoughts on this week’s offering: not bad. Not sure when I’ll have the time to get to Runner 2 with the backlog of AAA titles I have to play on the PS3 (still gotta play Dishonored, XCOM, RE6, Absolution, etc.), so although I’m grateful because its supposed to be an excellent game, I may not get to it until it comes to Vita. I’m also not picking up Tomb Raider because based on Square-Enix’s track record, I think it’ll be on Plus sooner or later. Excellent game though. The Vita game sale is also awesome. Has me seriously considering Soul Sacrifice and Atelier Totori, but I also have a backlog of Vita games (Dragon’s Crown, VLR, Escape Plan, Lego Batman, Thieves in Time), so I may wait for a sale around Christmas.

+ DanteMerfi on August 12th, 2013 at 8:44 am said:

So the difference between being a plus member and not at the time to pick up Tomb Raider is $2.25?! I wouldn’t even publicize this.

+ SiriusCJS on August 12th, 2013 at 8:44 am said:

Also, the poll is screwed up. You asked the same exact question TWICE but you worded it differently:

- I already have the content, so nothing for me this week.
- I own the content, so nothing for me this week

I stated that I’m thinking that our Plus team just isn’t very good, & this furthers that idea. There’s an error almost every week either in the article or the poll. How can you possibly expect accurate feedback if you’re gonna ask the same thing twice?

+ xClayMeow on August 12th, 2013 at 8:45 am said:

In the August poll I hope PS3-only owners don’t troll the Vita and say they’re satisfied with this crap.

Hitman – neither satisfied or dissatisfied
Runner 2 – neither satisfied or dissatisfied
Pinball – somewhat dissatisfied
Darkstalkers – very dissatisfied (anyone who doesn’t choose this is obviously trolling)
Machinarium – somewhat dissatisfied (really should have chosen very since it should have been given when the PS3 version was given)

+ Xaveri28 on August 12th, 2013 at 8:45 am said:

Still waiting for some news for Runner 2 on the Vita. For me it’s the perfect place to play a game like that.

I imagine they will announce something soon, since the release window was Summer.

+ CraddaPoosta on August 12th, 2013 at 8:45 am said:

Just to make it clear, I don’t think PS+ is a total wash. I DO have quite a few fun games from the IGC, but I quite literally had to buy a PS3 to even justify maintaining a subscription this year.

I can totally see how this is great news for Sony. You managed to lure me into buying an entire console, and not just a game.

My issue is more with how you describe, market and advertise PS+ and the IGC. You pretend that it’s something more than what it is. If you billed it as a subscription service for discounts (which is the only thing keeping me holding onto my subscription anymore), that would be one thing. You’re not, though.

Be honest with your customers, and just tell us that you have no clue what your portable console owners want, and that your marketing and research department apparently consists of hipsters in coffee shops who think that everything indie >>> everything else in the entire universe.

Stop trying to force the scene. There’s a reason no one likes indie games, when there are GOOD games available.

I feel like I got a membership to an exclusive movie service that only allows you to watch indie flicks that will never make it to a movie theater.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on August 12th, 2013 at 9:32 am said:

I get where you’re coming from, but I think Plus is accurately represented. Free games with the IGC, Discounts in the PS Store, and exclusive features like cloud saves and auto update. Check out our main page and if there is anything you feel being falsely represented, let me know! (http://us.playstation.com/psn/ps_plus/)

I think if you check out the comments here you’ll see lots of people excited for Runner2, so certainly lots of people love Indie games. But I hear you, you’re looking for more of the big AAA games, and I think you’ll find that we deliver those throughout the year to deliver what you’re looking for.

Hope that helps! I definitely stand by Runner2 as a fine addition to the IGC, and I hope you’ll continue to hang aorund and see what’s coming in the months to come!

+ Shinra_Soldier7 on August 12th, 2013 at 8:46 am said:

There really hasn’t been free full games for everyone though. Most have been shooter or shooter based. This month is definitely the worst month of Plus this year for me. Never values the Hitman games but did give Absolution a try but it is just another average game at best. I think I would prefer BitTrip Runner2 over it personally.

+ jcthomas00 on August 12th, 2013 at 8:49 am said:

Awesomeness!!
Can’t wait to play Bit.Trip on my PS3 while waiting for the Vita version and will finally get Totori Plus for my Vita!!

+ Shinra_Soldier7 on August 12th, 2013 at 8:49 am said:

@Cradda I love Plus as well. Best 50$ I have personally ever spend on gaming but the variety of full games is almost nonexistent. Also getting mutiple pinball games and numerous vita fighting games does not help either. Plus needs a much better variety and hopefully we see some next month.

+ detictiveconan on August 12th, 2013 at 8:51 am said:

Runner 2 is an adequate release. I do rather like the sale also, I might pick up one or two games.

+ Mando44646 on August 12th, 2013 at 8:51 am said:

I wish Bit.Trip were on Vita, thats not something I care to play on a TV as compared to a portable.

That sale looks decent, but there’s not much selection :/

PAGE 1 2 3 6