GTAV PS4

DuckTales: Remastered Hits PSN Today

Rey Jimenez's Avatar + Posted by Rey Jimenez on Aug 13, 2013 // Producer, Capcom

I’ve been working with the team at WayForward Technologies to bring you guys DuckTales: Remastered, launching today for PS3 as part of PlayStation Store PLAY. At the start of development, the main goal of the project revolved around updating the game while keeping the gameplay true to the original NES game. As the game progressed in development, we found that all of the new content really started to bring the original cartoon to life as well.

Magica

For those that may not know, the original DuckTales is firmly seated in the pantheon of the greatest NES games of all time. Widely praised for its tight controls, addicting platforming, and some of the best 8-bit music known to humanity, DuckTales stood apart as a fantastic licensed game. When creating DuckTales: Remastered, the very first step was to make sure the game felt right, meaning it played just like the NES version. To do this, early versions were tuned so that you could play the original NES version of the game and our new version at the same time with one controller. So for your pure platform gamers, you’re going to find that this game just feels right.

When you boot DuckTales: Remastered up, the first thing you’ll notice are the new visuals. All of the characters in the game are painstakingly animated in a traditional 2D method that would have been similar to what Disney used to do in their cartoons. Each frame is individually drawn in high resolution and digitally animated. The results of this technique are smooth, cartoon-like animations that are highly expressive.

The environments have gone through an equal amount of care. They were based on layouts by an artist that worked on the cartoon, then painted by an artist that worked at Disney TV for years. These high-resolution paintings were then scanned and used as the textures for the 3D models that make the levels.

DuckTales Remastered on PS3

The moment development felt like we were bringing the show to “life” was when the voice-overs started dropping in. Thanks to Disney, we were able to have every surviving cast member from the show reprise their role, as well as new actors to fill in the rest of the roles. Using the VO work to really flesh out the story and explain what’s going on, DuckTales really started to feel like watching episodes of the show.

The last piece of the “remastered” puzzle was to update the music. WayForward games are known for their fantastic music. The music in DuckTales: Remastered has the unique trait of being modern arrangements that have a classic 8-bit “sound” to them without actually being 8-bit music. When you hear the updated and new tracks in DuckTales, you’ll really hear the NES roots come through.

For the team, this project has really been — in the words of the project director — a love letter to our childhoods. Everyone involved has a soft spot for Scrooge and crew, and it’s been an honor to update a true classic to what we all feel is the total package. The gameplay stays true to the original, while the art, animation, voice-overs, and music not only bring the game to the present, but brings the cartoon to life in a way that wasn’t possible before. I hope you all enjoy playing the game as much as we loved working on it.

Exclusive to PS3 will be a boxed version available at retail stores that contains a voucher to download the game from PSN as well as a special collector’s pin. This pin is actually slightly different from the pins we gave away at E3 and SDCC. It’s a little bit thicker and of better quality and has the rubber Mickey Mouse backing that makes this an official Disney pin for all you collectors out there.

DuckTales: Remastered is available today for $9.99 $14.99. Remember, you’ll get bonus PSN cash vouchers if buy multiple PlayStation Store PLAY games!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Mercenary09 on August 13th, 2013 at 9:32 am said:

Got my copy pre ordered on PSN and will be downloading this when it goes live!

+ SpeedyBG on August 13th, 2013 at 9:35 am said:

$9.99? I paid more than that for my pre-order…

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on August 13th, 2013 at 9:42 am said:

Sorry, mistake on our end. The perpetrators will be punished!

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

+ Rey Jimenez on August 13th, 2013 at 10:21 am said:

Wasn’t me

+ TmF1979 on August 13th, 2013 at 9:36 am said:

$9.99? I paid $11.99 to pre-order the game and that was WITH the Plus discount.

+ takeshikitano3 on August 13th, 2013 at 9:37 am said:

Same here, paid $11.99, I’m guessing it’s a typo in the post.

+ HeavyToka on August 13th, 2013 at 9:37 am said:

Yeah I paid $11.99 too, I think the $9.99 in the blog post is wrong.

+ trum3n1 on August 13th, 2013 at 9:38 am said:

” DuckTales: Remastered is available today for $9.99.”

Lol, I paid 12.99 with 20% discount. Cool.

+ SlyCooperFan100 on August 13th, 2013 at 9:38 am said:

The full game was supposed to be $14.99. The boxed edition does not release until the 20th and it costs $19.99. Please, update the blog with the correct information.

+ trum3n1 on August 13th, 2013 at 9:39 am said:

I think it was suppoused to be $9.99 at all but SONY is just greedy.

+ Elway358 on August 13th, 2013 at 9:39 am said:

Can’t wait for the store update so I can start downloading this classic gem! :D

+ chavez1138 on August 13th, 2013 at 9:40 am said:

stop acting like you don’t know it’s just a typo

+ I-Dusk-I on August 13th, 2013 at 9:41 am said:

@Everyone
Ducktales is $14.99, not $9.99.

+ JimmyHACK on August 13th, 2013 at 9:42 am said:

Settle down people. 9.99 is an error. Woooo-oooo!

+ dodgedoors on August 13th, 2013 at 9:42 am said:

I’m sure it’s a misprint or something, sony always fixes its mistakes eventually. The only thing sad I find about this game is the fact there is no platinum. I mean 15 bucks and no platinum is sad. 20 trophies 19 bronze 1 silver. this is very very sad.

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

+ Rey Jimenez on August 13th, 2013 at 10:22 am said:

If we put a platinum trophy, there wouldn’t be enough points left for any other trophies. We did consider it for a short time though.

+ Splathew on August 13th, 2013 at 9:44 am said:

Trophies. :)

+ nirvana8726 on August 13th, 2013 at 9:46 am said:

ive never really pre ordered through psn before. when can i download my game? is it anytime today or do i have to wait until the update goes live?

+ AliciaDarky on August 13th, 2013 at 9:46 am said:

When are we gonna recieve the vouchers (for buying multiple titles)?

+ chavez1138 on August 13th, 2013 at 9:47 am said:

@dodgedoors there should had been a gold trophy… not big deal

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

+ Rey Jimenez on August 13th, 2013 at 10:23 am said:

We looked into it, but there just wasn’t enough points to allocate.

+ NATHANNAEL on August 13th, 2013 at 9:48 am said:

I pre-order my order my off the psn. I can’t wait. I remember the fun I had back on the good old nes days.

+ sancop on August 13th, 2013 at 9:48 am said:

What time is the store going to be updated, I want to download my Duck tales already

+ Raquor on August 13th, 2013 at 9:50 am said:

Where’s the Vita version? I’d like to pick this up but I don’t want to buy it twice when they hopefully eventually announce a vita version…

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

+ Rey Jimenez on August 13th, 2013 at 10:24 am said:

Unfortunately we don’t have any plans for the Vita SKU at the moment. If that changes we’ll be sure to let you know.

+ davidxraw on August 13th, 2013 at 9:50 am said:

Will there be a demo?

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

+ Rey Jimenez on August 13th, 2013 at 10:24 am said:

No demo for this one.

+ SlyCooperFan100 on August 13th, 2013 at 9:51 am said:

@19 (Raquor) Neither Vita nor 3DS are getting this anytime soon. Lots of people have been begging for it, but WayForward has constantly said that we’re not seeing it.

+ cmdluke on August 13th, 2013 at 9:56 am said:

can’t wait for this. I loved the NES version as a kid. never realized out beloved a game it was by the masses until this year when the remake was announced.

+ Lil_j13 on August 13th, 2013 at 10:08 am said:

This is the first time I have ever preordered from PSN before and they game is not available to download? I’ll take it from this article that im not losing my mind and the release is actually today but its noon already and nothing. What’s the deal?

+ tahoe376 on August 13th, 2013 at 10:16 am said:

Cannot wait to get home and download my pre-order!!

+ BonafideJones on August 13th, 2013 at 10:23 am said:

So.. ummm… when can I download it?

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

+ Rey Jimenez on August 13th, 2013 at 10:26 am said:

Not sure when Playstation updates their store.

+ electro-dan999 on August 13th, 2013 at 10:26 am said:

My question is the same as most…….what time will the download be available? Im ready to relive my childhood big time!

+ GeoDarky on August 13th, 2013 at 10:27 am said:

I just can’t resist the nostalgia that comes with this :)

+ bakerarmy on August 13th, 2013 at 10:28 am said:

I am tired of false advertising!!!

You made the mistake at $9.99….. So I will pass until priced appropriately.

+ duke301 on August 13th, 2013 at 10:30 am said:

I’ve been waiting for this one, preordered the first week. I had a lot of fun playing this for NES back in the day and I can’t wait to see it with the updated graphics.

@24, Keep your pantyhose on! The last few weeks, the Play games have been available a little earlier. Of course, with the store updating whenever Sony gets around to it, earlier is a relative thing. Anyway, I was playing Stealth Bastard by 4:00 on the first day, so it’s on the way.

+ krae_man on August 13th, 2013 at 10:31 am said:

What do you mean not enough points?

19 Bronze x 15 points + 1 Silver 30 Points = 315 points.

Spare Parts has 10 gold X 90 points + 2 Silver X 30 points and one Platinum 180 points.

Unless there is some sort of “If you have more then X number of trophy points, Sony Charges you more” rule or something which would all kinds of dumb.

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

+ Rey Jimenez on August 13th, 2013 at 10:37 am said:

+ krae_man on August 13th, 2013 at 10:33 am said:

Oh wait, are Bronze 30? I forget. Either way, my point still stands.

Sony should just mandate platinum for everything. It’s what the customers want.

+ krae_man on August 13th, 2013 at 10:42 am said:

Spare Parts was a $10 downloadable game. Unless you mean file size but then that makes even less sense.

+ kaminari2 on August 13th, 2013 at 10:45 am said:

Sure do hope that the Store updates early today so I can play the game!

+ GTAV_LEGEND on August 13th, 2013 at 10:46 am said:

the game still hasn’t been put up….. o_O … its 1:45 pm .. dahfumz man. I couldnt wait to get back from vacation for this lol and now I gotta wait.

+ jeffsmither on August 13th, 2013 at 10:51 am said:

How big of a file is this game? I’m running short on my 500gig HDD.

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

+ Rey Jimenez on August 13th, 2013 at 11:03 am said:

I forget exactly. About 600mb or 800mb.

+ Elvick_ on August 13th, 2013 at 10:53 am said:

Want it on my Vita.

+ demoneyes23 on August 13th, 2013 at 10:56 am said:

when is duck tales coming-out ? it seems that sony will always drop the ball when it counts!

+ sabrinamt on August 13th, 2013 at 10:56 am said:

OK, for the love of all that’s wonderful and good – can we please get a estimate on when this might be available? Pretty please? Some of us took the day off of work just to play this. (Well, and to wait for the plumber.) :-(

+ akisuo on August 13th, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

Already had this game preordered. Just waiting on the store to update so I can download it. =) Would love to see this game end up on the Vita. It would just be perfect for it.

+ dan_segoromi on August 13th, 2013 at 11:05 am said:

It’s 2P and still can’t download. Is something happening?

+ StingrayX on August 13th, 2013 at 11:09 am said:

Wait…$9.99? um I think there’s a mistake here.

+ Pr0t011187 on August 13th, 2013 at 11:10 am said:

Any one have any idea on when the store will update so I can get my pre order?

+ xClayMeow on August 13th, 2013 at 11:13 am said:

I would have pre-ordered the Vita version without a doubt. Now I’ll be waiting for a 50% Off Steam Sale instead.

+ Kamiotaku on August 13th, 2013 at 11:16 am said:

It’s a shame the Playstation Store seemingly takes so long to update. I preordered the game and it STILL isn’t available to download yet; and it’s 2:15 Eastern Standard. I know it’s not you guys’ fault but it is quite disappointing; if it says August 13 and it’s not available at midnight or at least before 12:00PM that day, they should say what time it will be available.

+ STR33TfourXfour on August 13th, 2013 at 11:24 am said:

When does Duck tales Remastered go online any one know the time? its released today i preordered it 4 days ago….

+ FearMonkey on August 13th, 2013 at 11:28 am said:

re: “Different size games are allotted a different amount of points. We only have 315 points.” –

Do you mean byte-wise or game length-wise?

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

+ Rey Jimenez on August 13th, 2013 at 11:42 am said:

Size as in scope wise, which is related to length and features.

+ MugenX88 on August 13th, 2013 at 11:47 am said:

Cmon I want to jump in, I have the whole day cleared out for this. I want to rewrite history, or maybe solve a mystery. :P

+ kaminari2 on August 13th, 2013 at 11:52 am said:

Why do you guys still ask when the store is going to be updated? Sony has never given a time frame and they never will. We go through this every SINGE week. It’ll go live when Sony wants to and like every week it’s usually around 4pm GMT. Sure the past few weeks it’s been closer to 2pm GMT but I don’t get myself all worked up when it’s not.

Just chill out and play some games until the update.

+ DarthSchrader666 on August 13th, 2013 at 11:54 am said:

YOU’RE PATHETIC SONY! It’s going on 3:00 in the afternoon & STILL NO STORE CHANGE! MY GRANDMOTHER IS FASTER THAN PSN’s “GARBAGE SERVICE” & she’s BE DEAD SINCE ’05!!! YOU ARE JUST LAME PSN & BY THE TIME YOUR “GARBAGE” STORE HAS BEEN CHANGED, THE X-BOX OWNERS ALREADY GOTTEN WHAT YOU’RE SO SLOW & REMEDIAL TO GET ON TIME! HEARD OF A “SCHEDULE”? HOW ‘BOUT “FOLLOWING IT” YOU JUST SUCK, PSN!

PAGE 1 2 3