Bloodborne

Learn the Secrets of The Last of Us Multiplayer

Colin Moriarty's Avatar + Posted by Colin Moriarty on Aug 15, 2013 // Senior Editor, IGN

Greetings, PlayStation-ers! My name is Colin Moriarty, IGN‘s Senior Editor. If you’re a PlayStation fanatic — and since you’re on the PlayStation.Blog, you probably are — you may recognize me as the man in charge of IGN’s PS4, PS3, and PS Vita coverage. You may also know me as one-third of Podcast Beyond.

Today, I write my inaugural PlayStation.Blog post to tell you about something I’m very excited for. See, I’m pretty darn keen on The Last of Us… so much so, in fact, that I got sucked in for about 40 hours worth of multiplayer madness after the game launched. And that got me thinking: who’s responsible for The Last of Us’ most understated feature, its online suite?

Naturally, I found an answer. Naughty Dog’s David Ballard was kind enough to come to IGN’s San Francisco headquarters to record a series of videos with me, one for each map in the multiplayer suite. As an integral part of the creation of The Last of Us’ multiplayer, Ballard has all sorts of insight into the creation of each stage. He points out easter eggs, hidden areas, and parts of the maps that were radically changed or outright abandoned before the final game shipped. This is stuff diehard fans of the game are going to want to see for themselves, especially since he provided a bunch of footage you can’t see in the game.

Watch out, a lot of videos coming your way…

Surviving the Checkpoint

The Old, Dilapidated High School

Higher Learning at the University

Traversing the Dam

Taking a Look at Downtown

The Snow-Ridden Map Called Lakeside

I wanted to share these videos with you, the PlayStation.Blog audience, because I think you’re really going to love them. And if you want to learn even more about Naughty Dog — like the entire history of the company, for instance — I implore you to keep it tuned to IGN in the coming weeks, because boy, do I have something for you.

Thanks for taking the time to read my humble post. Until next time, Beyond!

PAGE 1 2

+ ColonelOCorn on August 15th, 2013 at 6:19 pm said:

Colin, so your comments on Podcast Beyond about IGN being the Sony minor leagues… Be careful! ;)

Congrats, and BEYOND!

Where’s Garfep?

Colin Moriarty's Avatar

+ Colin Moriarty on August 15th, 2013 at 6:29 pm said:

Goldfarb is probably writing news right now. =) Beyond!

+ dlee_75 on August 15th, 2013 at 6:20 pm said:

Colin, what would you like to see in upcoming TLOU DLC?
David, is there anything you can say about the DLC? (Probably not but I might as well ask haha)

Colin Moriarty's Avatar

+ Colin Moriarty on August 15th, 2013 at 6:29 pm said:

I’d love to see some sort of Horde Mode. I think that’d be a blast.

+ wally10975 on August 15th, 2013 at 6:27 pm said:

Colin, do you think TLOU DLC will be a continuation of Joel and Ellie’s stories, perhaps a side story between the seasonal changes at some point, or do you think this will run us through a different set of characters that we may have come across at some point in the game? Thanks!

BEYOND!

Colin Moriarty's Avatar

+ Colin Moriarty on August 15th, 2013 at 6:30 pm said:

I’m not sure, but I’d love to see a continuation of their story… perhaps a bridge to a possible sequel. Beyond!

+ soundandvision77 on August 15th, 2013 at 6:33 pm said:

It’s hilarious to see all the Beyonds here. I wonder what Sid Shuman will think if he reads these comments. You really have a great following!

+ lostlemon on August 15th, 2013 at 6:34 pm said:

@18 I think 10 bucks is an extremely fair price when the alternative bans used games altogether, especially since you didn’t pay for it in the first place. Shame on you for not being willing to support the devs more like. They’re only trying to ensure they get paid for their hard work.

+ allforfree on August 15th, 2013 at 6:43 pm said:

Is there a possibility that the ND related thing you´re teasing on Twitter may be a new unannounced project??
Beyond!

+ twinklebutter on August 15th, 2013 at 6:47 pm said:

Is this the thing you were teasing das colin?

+ solace357 on August 15th, 2013 at 7:32 pm said:

Vita price drop at GamesCom I DOUUUUBT IT

+ BlueMarvel100 on August 15th, 2013 at 8:20 pm said:

This is amazing! I’m a huge fan! BEYOND!

+ Ayumi666_88 on August 15th, 2013 at 9:51 pm said:

hey check it out, it’s THE PRIDE OF LONG ISLAND!

BEYOND!!!

+ Phoenix7469 on August 15th, 2013 at 9:55 pm said:

The Last of Us. Game of the Year. No questions asked. DLC please! Helghast helmet maybe ;) Just saying =P

+ garfep on August 16th, 2013 at 12:00 am said:

This was a really good post, Colin. I’d like to reward you with seven days of special best friend dinners in Germany.

+ asain_boy123 on August 16th, 2013 at 12:12 am said:

Can’t wait to get the dlc for the last of us I bet it’s great

+ Captain_CHEETO on August 16th, 2013 at 12:30 am said:

I instantly recognized Colin’s avatar, I am like is this IGN’s Colin? Is he joining Playst… BEYOOOOND! Keep us posted Colin, can’t wait for Naughty Dog’s new game.

+ Busca-Cabezas on August 16th, 2013 at 3:02 am said:

TLOU MP is my #1 MP on PS3 for 2013!!!!! You wanna brawl? Let’s get on with it! Stragglers! Look ALIVE!

+ gogocons on August 16th, 2013 at 3:32 am said:

May I suggest that if you are going to post seven videos in one post that not all seven videos need an age verification to watch? You do want us to watch the videos right? Who are we kidding with this age verification in 2013 anyway? I am of age and still just click whichever buttons are quickest and most convenient!

+ Welmosca on August 16th, 2013 at 10:04 am said:

I’m beating the SP for the 2nd time and will beat more 3 times but I’m on the 3rd week straight playing TLoU online every single day….cant stop playing I’m addicted.One of the best MP ever,hmm…probably the 2nd best.Nice videos and welcome to da Blog man.

+ djpandafunk on August 16th, 2013 at 11:16 am said:

I LOVE THIS, BEYOND!!!

+ Nano1124 on August 16th, 2013 at 1:48 pm said:

Wow. Colin’s here too. Greg and Ryan are in the comments. The world is a small place. BEYOND!

+ RoxasDingo on August 16th, 2013 at 6:23 pm said:

Instead of all the Beyonds, lets talk about things that matter.
REMOVE THE DOWNTOWN MAP!!! And kindly replace it with another great map as a customer service.
We know its dear to you, and that it is a whole lot of work creating new stuff. But it’s just sitting there!! Players want to play and have fun. Not get a headache for choosing between worst or worse.

+ DACONfreak on August 16th, 2013 at 9:46 pm said:

If they improved the multiplayer by adding a deeper customization, or maybe even a stand alone Last of Us: Online completely focusing on multuplayer, they would have an unstoppable game, even surpassing big titles like Call of Duty or Halo.

+ Cranky_geek on August 16th, 2013 at 10:59 pm said:

If Colin considers himself a games journalist then how isn’t this a conflict of interest with his duties at IGN?

+ Elvick_ on August 17th, 2013 at 12:47 am said:

Needs a horde mode.

+ LittleMotti on August 17th, 2013 at 10:33 am said:

I recently started playing the mp part of the game. Pretty good, this coming from someone that doesn’t play much mp games. It takes sometime getting the hang of it. At least I’m helping the team. :P

+ Apeman24 on August 17th, 2013 at 10:47 am said:

Hey Colin, Greg, and Ryan, Beyond! I got the platinum in this game, over a month ago, it was fun, six runs on campaign, two on multiplayer. I know it is not advised, but I went stealth solo with a bow. Worked VERY well for me, recommend to advanced players.

+ Apeman24 on August 17th, 2013 at 10:51 am said:

I also see #62, Goldfarb is Garfep, Beyond as well.

+ Tonnous24 on August 17th, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

A game journalist posting here is kind of disgusting.

+ Scaramanga1983 on August 17th, 2013 at 2:18 pm said:

That title was quite misleading. “Know the maps…” would be more fitting.

+ cjmc18 on August 18th, 2013 at 1:30 am said:

I know there are 70+ saying it but I would be ashamed of my self if I dont say this:
BEYOND!

+ LordAchiever on August 18th, 2013 at 7:25 pm said:

BEYOND!!!!!!!

+ EXQUISITEEMPRESS on September 13th, 2013 at 9:00 pm said:

This should help out a lot when I actually buy the game.

PAGE 1 2