PS4 - Transistor

Surviving the Killzone: Mercenary Multiplayer Beta, Out August 20th

Mark Green's Avatar + Posted by Mark Green on Aug 16, 2013 // Senior Producer, Guerrilla Cambridge

We’re just a few weeks away from the launch of Killzone: Mercenary, but gamers won’t have to wait that long to cut their teeth on Mercenary’s impressive multiplayer suite. The team here at Guerrilla Cambridge is expanding the multiplayer beta to give the servers a good test before Mercenary launches on September 10th in North America for PS Vita.

For North American users, the Open Beta for Killzone: Mercenary will be made available to PlayStation Plus subscribers on August 20th (after the Store update). Those of you who went out of your way to acquire special beta access vouchers — Perhaps through a certain promotion on PS Home? — will also be granted early access!

Killzone Mercenary, 03

Then, on August 27th (after the Store update), the beta will open up further to become available to all North American PS Vita owners, coming to a close on September 3rd.

Surviving the Beta

Mercenary boasts a number of unique modes, innovative gameplay mechanics, and introduces a daily ranking system to make Mercenary the most advanced, addictive multiplayer experience on PS Vita.

What You Should Know:

• All money earned playing the game, in any mode, can be used to purchase new weapons and equipment from Blackjack (arms dealer). These purchases can then be used in both the single-player campaign and the multiplayer suite.
  • Once campaign missions have been completed, they can be replayed with additional contract objectives. These challenge contracts provide a set of objectives based around Covert, Demolition, and precision play-styles. They’re also a great way to earn V$.
  • Each campaign mission contains six pieces of Intel to retrieve. There are two ways of retrieving Intel: interrogate captains (marked on radar) or hacking Intel terminals. Collect all six pieces of Intel to unlock bonus Valor Cards for your Valor Collection.

The Valor System

The Valor system operates by assigning each member of the Killzone: Mercenary community a Valor Card. Your Valor Card represents your earning ability in the game, with Ace being the highest rank and Two being the lowest. You will be issued a new Valor Card once every 24 hours. Your new card will be based on your recent earnings compared to all other players. This means that the value of your card can go up as well as down!

Killzone Mercenary on PS VitaKillzone Mercenary, 02

In multiplayer, players will drop an instance of their Valor Card when they die. This card can then be collected for bonus V$, and the higher the Valor of the card, the greater the reward. The suit of a players Valor card represents the weapon type they have been using. To change suits a player must make consecutive kills with a specific type:

• Clubs – make seven consecutive kills with an assault rifle or LMG
  • Hearts – make five consecutive kills with a secondary weapon
  • Spades – make three consecutive kills with a sniper rifle
  • Diamonds – make four consecutive kills with an SMG

Valor Cards collected in multiplayer and campaign (through retrieving Intel) are placed into your Valor Collection. Your Valor Collection is represented as a pack of cards and by making “hands” (four of a kind, flush, full deck) you will gain large V$ rewards.

Controls

When using sniper rifles, you can change the zoom magnification of the scope by dragging up and down on the rear touch pad when aiming down the sight.

Killzone Mercenary on PS Vita

VAN-Guard capsules are regularly fired into multiplayer maps and some single-player missions. These capsules contain a single-use VAN-guard that the player can deploy.

Most touch controls are also mapped to physical buttons:

• Switch weapon = d-pad right
  • Deploy VAN-Guard = d-pad left
  • Grenade = d-pad down
  • Interact = press Triangle
  • Sprint = tap Circle when moving

The only enforced touch screen interactions are for Brutal Melee, hacking, levers, and some VAN-Guards.

Good Luck

The team at Guerrilla Cambridge put in a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to make Mercenary’s multiplayer package the most advanced experience to-date on PS Vita. We’re very excited for launch, but we think the Open Beta will definitely hold you over until September!

170 Comments

+ rubenjr0 on August 18th, 2013 at 1:10 pm said:

its about time the vita gets a good game i had the vita on day 1 and it sucks but kz looks like a really good game bringing my vita back to life

+ xPOSTALx on August 18th, 2013 at 2:40 pm said:

Thanks! k.z.m for the code for aug 20 but I’m a plus member need it now, but thanks would of love for it to be in the closed beta though! Nice to see a fast response

+ xPOSTALx on August 18th, 2013 at 2:43 pm said:

I just ask for a code and the sent me one kudos to a good company that understand its community

+ RUBEN_JUNIOR on August 18th, 2013 at 2:44 pm said:

WHAT? the open beta is just for N/A? What about EU?

+ shrimpdude on August 18th, 2013 at 4:03 pm said:

Wait, plus subscribers all get in on the 20th? So I wasted my time on home doing those stupid fetch quests. :/

+ GodLike_C on August 18th, 2013 at 5:29 pm said:

Got my code already received it in my email every plus users should have one by now add me if you wanna play

+ boombooomoooo on August 18th, 2013 at 7:27 pm said:

not all ps+ members get but all people that had signed for the closed beta last month gets one and besides ps+ dont need a code i got my code through email yesterday morning.

+ just-in8or on August 18th, 2013 at 8:47 pm said:

Got the code for the beta. can’t wait.

+ CommandingTiger on August 18th, 2013 at 9:15 pm said:

Ok, so you’ve won the Console wars at E3.

Now, you have to win the portable war.
Here’s what to do:

Price drop of current Vitas to at least 199$; 50% off the Memory cards. (I know R&D, anti-hacking, but we don’t want to pay for it)

And then make a better Vita version:
-Built-in Memory 16Gb/32Gb models
-Add HDMI (Or PS4 remote play the Vita on TV screen)
-A better Megapixel AR Camera
-A little more battery power (A few more hours)
Mainly those 4 improvements.

If possible, sell that one for 249$

+ CommandingTiger on August 18th, 2013 at 9:17 pm said:

Other options that I’ve seen are 6.3″ screen and 1Gb Ram, I really don’t see much advantage to that, the console is already big enough and I can Multi-task really easy. Only add the 1Gb of Ram IF I can lisen to my music/M Unlimited while playing PSP/PS1 games, Otherwise, I’ll pass.

Either keep the current Vita or make a slimmer version of it.
-4.4″ LED Screen
-A little more battery power (A few more hours)
And a overall slimmer Vita that fits more into your pocket.
Make the above Vita also a bit slimmer.

+ Cyb3rgan_Uchiha on August 18th, 2013 at 11:31 pm said:

Sick! Absolutely F****** Sick! I bough cod declassified and resistance for the vita but sweet jesus that game looks well worth the money x-D

+ WrigglyDrop06 on August 19th, 2013 at 3:21 am said:

Saunu that it is possible to play the game multiplayer is dashing and

+ MyNameIsBread on August 19th, 2013 at 7:15 am said:

can anyone pls give a spare code that one of u guys wont use plssssssssssssssss. I wanna play this game so bad! just pm me on the vita. i would really appreciate it!

+ MyNameIsBread on August 19th, 2013 at 7:16 am said:

*me

+ MyNameIsBread on August 19th, 2013 at 7:20 am said:

plssssssssssss anyone plsssssss. I know im desperate but i just really wanna play this game!!!

+ OMGIAMAWESOME on August 19th, 2013 at 8:41 am said:

I’m honestly very excited for this Beta and subsequent release. I haven’t picked up any of the FPSs on the Vita because I heard all of them were downright awful. The public opinion on this, however, seems largely positive. Looking forward to having a good shooter for my Vita, finally.

+ tenupinya on August 19th, 2013 at 8:43 am said:

Wait so you just have to be member to have beta?

+ OMGIAMAWESOME on August 19th, 2013 at 8:46 am said:

If you’re a PlayStation Plus member then you can play the open beta on the 20th, or if you signed up for the closed beta a couple of months back and weren’t picked you also got an access code for the open beta. Everyone has the option to access the beta starting the 27th.

+ TomatoDragon on August 19th, 2013 at 9:04 am said:

I’m in.

+ tenupinya on August 19th, 2013 at 9:20 am said:

Thanks!

+ Crono_Breaker on August 19th, 2013 at 11:30 am said:

I already get the beta acces early bout since 2 days i cannot acces to the killzone servers on mi vita, and then on my email i recive another vouche, so until august 20 i can play again? I dont geit it.

+ greenlantern027 on August 19th, 2013 at 11:35 am said:

im a ps + member and never got in the closed beta(just got vita) but would love to try out the beta tomorrow. i never got an email code or anything. do i need one or will it be available on the vitas store?

+ D-Dowg on August 19th, 2013 at 11:50 am said:

I got the email the day before yesterday with the code, got so excited I went to enter it without reading the instructions saying it’s available on the 20th… my itchy trigger finger needs some scratchin’

+ SV3010 on August 19th, 2013 at 1:51 pm said:

if the psvita can run such a good games and graphics why they dident make all the games with good graphics i mean look at nfs mw is like psp game and its 30 dollar for what??? please sony make open world games for the psvita and console graphics cuz the psvita can do much more then psp games and android minis we want hard core games like in the ps3

+ mystery75 on August 19th, 2013 at 3:05 pm said:

Please do not port this to the ps3 in the future. Keep it on Vita. It happened a lot on PSP, and it happened to the Hot Shots Golf game for Vita.

+ WILLDWILL-BR on August 19th, 2013 at 4:45 pm said:

Whre’s my voucher code for “Public” Beta, Sony? I’m a Plus member but I didn’t receive yet.

+ ken_online on August 19th, 2013 at 4:57 pm said:

Got an email with the code and it keeps telling me its wrong, will it work like on the 20th? or have they sent me a dud code…

+ benedictkgvc on August 19th, 2013 at 9:10 pm said:

guys, i/m subscribed to PS plus but did not receive any codes on my email. why is that? appreciate any feedback/comments. thanks!

+ gearhead95 on August 19th, 2013 at 10:07 pm said:

Same here benedictkgvc. I never got one either I’m a PS Plus member, too

+ xPOSTALx on August 19th, 2013 at 10:14 pm said:

You can start at 12:00am I’m already playing

+ AeonixGZ on August 19th, 2013 at 10:38 pm said:

Looking Forward To It!
Btw, as a PS Plus user, how do we access the beta? do we have to wait for email or will it be available in PS Store to download and access?

+ Leobot372 on August 20th, 2013 at 2:01 am said:

When I checked my email on the 16th I checked my spam folder and I found my KZ: M open beta code and I flipped out since I almost deleted it and for the people that just got PS+ but didn’t get a code I think it is because you didn’t sign up for the closed beta access or you became a PS+ member after they sent out codes and to all who got codes looking forward to see you on the beta today!!!

+ nilnip on August 20th, 2013 at 2:54 am said:

Leobot372, do you know exactly when? I haven’t slept yet…I refuse to sleep until I get it.

+ MyNameIsBread on August 20th, 2013 at 3:01 am said:

Thank u JellyJugs for giving me a code. I really appreciate it! xD

+ danielsky117 on August 20th, 2013 at 3:51 am said:

someone coud share me aa code by e-mail or sent it to me to danielsky117 im vita owner an psplus subscriber since a year ago, but i didn’t receive anything if you have one code to share i will really appreciate it

+ GUNDAM_HHDZ on August 20th, 2013 at 5:05 am said:

Anyone have a extra code to share? I am a ps+ subscriber but didn’t receive any code in my gmail. Thanks in advance.

+ rscayab2064 on August 20th, 2013 at 6:28 am said:

I’ve played the beta and its great, best fps in the vita and the multiplayer is extraordinary.

+ xPOSTALx on August 20th, 2013 at 7:23 am said:

Ps+ you have to wait after the store updates this after noon

+ IRISHDEATH on August 20th, 2013 at 7:33 am said:

When does this store update happen? I got up this AM and no update Whats Happening

+ IRISHDEATH on August 20th, 2013 at 7:35 am said:

What Time this afternoon and what time zone I am PST

+ BanditManSteve on August 20th, 2013 at 9:49 am said:

I’m almost positive that PS+ members don’t need a code, as that wouldn’t make any sense. I’m pretty sure you just download the game if you have PS+ and start playing.

+ BearShark1993 on August 20th, 2013 at 11:04 am said:

Im in NA and I have ps plus I have not gotten an email yet for the killzone beta anyone know how you get access as a PS plus member in NA

+ ken_online on August 20th, 2013 at 11:15 am said:

Thank you for your participation in the early access public beta for Killzone™: Mercenary that begins on August 20th. To download the beta redeem the voucher code after the store update on August 20th.

Code did not work, and im in UK on PS+ whens the store update or something?!

+ Hh_Legand on August 20th, 2013 at 11:59 am said:

Hi, I have been subbed to ps+ for 3 months now. I didn’t get the Killzone mercenary beta code till now. I searched in all of my email and didn’t find it, if anyone can help me. Thanks in advance.

+ DesireZ- on August 20th, 2013 at 12:32 pm said:

u got a na code, give it here

+ roxasthekeygamer on August 20th, 2013 at 1:17 pm said:

OHH YEAH

+ boombooomoooo on August 20th, 2013 at 2:26 pm said:

i like it but it would be nice if we cantry all modes and maps and there is one issue fix the lag or other wise its a good game to play :) please reply

+ BanditManSteve on August 20th, 2013 at 2:35 pm said:

still havnt a code… from signing up for closed beta OR being a ps+ member… i hope they send me one soon :(

+ Onsokumaru-san on August 20th, 2013 at 2:51 pm said:

Yo i didnt get a code, what do?

+ PZDugna on August 20th, 2013 at 4:07 pm said:

Just check the Vita Store in PS+ section if you want to try the open beta, on another note the game looks and runs very smooth but….next time you do a open beta have a small tutorial for the controls in the game not just typed out in a blog like this.