PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Borderlands 2 Coming to PS Vita

Adam Fletcher's Avatar + Posted by Adam Fletcher on Aug 20, 2013 // Product Manager, Gearbox Software

Hello travelers! The dream finally becomes a reality, as PlayStation, Gearbox Software and 2K announces today at Gamescom that the addictive first person shooter-looter mayhem of Borderlands 2 will be coming to PS Vita.

Borderlands 2 for PS Vita

I watched as Randy Pitchford, president of Gearbox Software, stood on stage at the Rezzed show in the UK a year ago and told fans that, with PlayStation’s support, he’d love to see Borderlands 2 on PS Vita. For the last year, Gearbox Software, 2K, and PlayStation have been inundated with emails, tweets, forum posts and more from passionate gamers across the world pleading for a PS Vita version of Borderlands 2. You spoke, we listened, and with the wonderful collaboration between 2K, PlayStation and the team at Iron Galaxy Studios – makers of indie fighting game Divekick – we can finally make Borderlands 2 on PS Vita a reality!

For those of you new to the critically acclaimed shooting-and-looting mayhem of Borderlands 2, which won more than 55 editorial awards in 2012, you’ll be picking from four uniquely-skilled Vault Hunters – Axton the Commando, Maya the Siren, Salvador the Gunzerker and Zer0 the Assassin – and then gunzerking your way through the world of Pandora in an attempt to defeat the corrupt Hyperion Corporation, led by the notorious Handsome Jack. Throughout these adventures, you will encounter a variety of distinctive, colorful characters including the explosive Tiny Tina, the (ex-)wife-of-many Mad Moxxi, and the friendly and energetic robotic companion CL4P-TP – you can call him Claptrap for short. That’s what his friends call him – or would, if he had any friends in the first place.

PS Vita gives Borderlands 2 fans the ability to play the game anywhere they want, complete with of all the unique benefits of the Vita system, and will truly bring the four-player cooperative experience to the palms of your hands. A new era of portable shoot-and-loot awaits! On behalf of Gearbox, 2K, and Sony, we want to thank the passionate fans for helping make Borderlands 2 on the PS Vita a reality, and we look forward to looting bazillions of guns with you guys on the go.

Borderlands 2 will be shipping on PS Vita in 2014 and will be published by Sony Computer Entertainment. Stay tuned for more information.

All the news from PlayStation’s Gamescom 2013 Press Conference

Ninja Platformer N++ Dashes to PS4

Football Manager Classic Lines up PS Vita Debut

Introducing RESOGUN, the New PS4 Exclusive from the Super Stardust Team

Your First Look at PS4 Adventure Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture

Helldivers Coming to PS4, PS3, PS Vita in 2014

+ yodabubba on August 20th, 2013 at 1:12 pm said:

This is awesome news! The more vita fps the better! I loved the first borderlands, I’ll be happy to buy this on Vita!

+ RABID_WARE_FURBY on August 20th, 2013 at 1:16 pm said:

this is absolutely amazing!! now all the have to do is also make it move sharpshooter compatible!

+ YOFACE21 on August 20th, 2013 at 1:16 pm said:

FINALLY A REASON TO PLAY MY VITA. i play borderlands 2 enough as it is. now on the go!!! JOY

+ Beetey on August 20th, 2013 at 1:19 pm said:

Is it safe to assume it will have both local and online multiplayer?

+ ihatemath113 on August 20th, 2013 at 1:23 pm said:

It better have Ad-hoc

+ luvtoseek on August 20th, 2013 at 1:24 pm said:

Adam, give us a screenshot- please brother!

+ roxasthekeygamer on August 20th, 2013 at 1:25 pm said:

vita fans now it’s the time to be happy to own a great handheld system

+ Ozie24 on August 20th, 2013 at 1:41 pm said:

This is AMAZING news! borderlands 2 has quickly become one of my most favored games for its story, its gameplay, its HILARIOUS acting, its loot and so much more. CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS.

+ SOUP_32 on August 20th, 2013 at 1:56 pm said:

If it has cross-save, I’ll definitely pick it up.

+ Dinoegg_96 on August 20th, 2013 at 2:11 pm said:

Hey, the multiplayer will be online, or ad-hoc (or both)???
Im definitely buying this game!!!

+ NoPity_21 on August 20th, 2013 at 2:15 pm said:

I think I’m going to cry now just for bio shock and I think I’ll die and go to heaven

+ YungShep on August 20th, 2013 at 2:17 pm said:

i heard the rumors, but im so glad its true!!! gearbox get maxium kudos with the cheat code for this! i love my vita, own it on ps3, dont mind double dipping, never beat the console version!

social life over.

+ Lord_CBH on August 20th, 2013 at 2:17 pm said:

I never got around to purchasing Borderlands 2 on my PS3 (did rent it though.). This version will be a must own for me though (once I see how it runs, but I have faith dang it!)

+ Sonicfan11589 on August 20th, 2013 at 2:19 pm said:

I have never shown any real interest in this series till now or at least a small amount of interest. Exactly why should i think about purchasing this?

+ ltn2150 on August 20th, 2013 at 2:24 pm said:

Cross Play PLOX Crossplatform play = WIN

+ Sheikit on August 20th, 2013 at 2:25 pm said:

SUCH AWESOME NEWS!!! BUYING DAY 1 even though I have it on PC already. Now if only Vita ports would be released simultaneously with other console releases.. hint hint :)

+ nathanielflint1 on August 20th, 2013 at 2:43 pm said:

If ever there was a reason to get a Vita, this news exceeds it!
As much as I`d enjoy Borderlands 2, I`d also like to see Borderlands on the Vita! (GOTY version, of course!) Any chance of that?

+ Sponge-worthy on August 20th, 2013 at 2:45 pm said:

Now we know where the Colonial Marines money went ;)

Still, awesome news for Vita owners.

+ jayrabbit on August 20th, 2013 at 2:48 pm said:

Sony going to work with you to allow us to get a trial run before it comes out?

+ Slizarus on August 20th, 2013 at 2:53 pm said:

I don’t understand cruel world, WHY??

….
I already have 140+ hours on the PC… Are you really going to kill me by putting it on the Vita so I can never stop?

+ DarrienEmerald on August 20th, 2013 at 3:13 pm said:

@20, PIN360: Really? You’re complaining about an October 2012 game being considered a highlight of Vita games to come, and then say they should have done Diablo II, a May 2012 game? That’s… that doesn’t even begin to make any sense in any form…

Also, looking forward to it, Gearbox/Iron Galaxy, I’ve poured countless hours into the PS3 version so far and haven’t even touched Axton, Gaige or Kreig yet, so there’s plenty more for me to go.

+ bluekamikaze0807 on August 20th, 2013 at 3:14 pm said:

Loved Boarderlands on PS3 can’t wait to have the better sequel on my Vita. Thanks XD

+ NotToxic on August 20th, 2013 at 3:18 pm said:

Awesome.. The Vita is in need of some great titles like this. The only thing holding me back from the now $199 Vita is the absence of core games. Borderlands 2 is a great start! Would love to see more top notch games ported to Vita.

Make my day Sony! Convince me to buy a Vita!

+ SephTiger on August 20th, 2013 at 3:37 pm said:

PC crossplay, PLEASE!

+ martinirage1 on August 20th, 2013 at 3:41 pm said:

Will totally buy this for my vita. I never played it on ps3 so this is my chance to enjoy it on the go.

+ Squall1011 on August 20th, 2013 at 3:48 pm said:

May be a silly question, but is the Vita Version a port of the ps3 version and Still an FPS?, I ask because I remember some games having a psp version, but while the console version was an FPS, the portable version had a top down view (I think it was Army of two)

+ fatdog21 on August 20th, 2013 at 4:02 pm said:

ok heres the things.One;how much? it cant b too much. a new copy of borderlands cost $20.n two; whos doin this port. i hope its one have a good track race on porting games. we all dnt want another “jak n daxter” or “rachet n clank” type ports…..

+ CarlosVato on August 20th, 2013 at 4:03 pm said:

I gasped when I heard this. I heard talks about borderlands vita but didn’t think it would happen. I’m glad this was able to be worked out. Hopefully a lot of people will pick this up and they’ll get that bioshock vita agreed upon

+ Kchow23 on August 20th, 2013 at 4:21 pm said:

I am so happy to see this game finally come to PS Vita :)

+ HanGlacy on August 20th, 2013 at 4:22 pm said:

Day one! Cant wait… Open world rpg shooter hell yeah!

+ Whoacoder on August 20th, 2013 at 4:25 pm said:

This is the best thing I have ever read.

+ Kchow23 on August 20th, 2013 at 4:42 pm said:

Wow published by SCE, I hope that the new details come out soon! Hopefully you guys also publish Bioshock Vita :)

+ plaztiksyke on August 20th, 2013 at 4:42 pm said:

Sorry, I just don’t trust Gearbox to execute on anything. At this point, with their track record, I think that Borderlands is a fluke and the disasters known as Aliens and Duke Nukem Forever more accurately represent their ability to execute on technical and business levels.

I’m willing to be surprised, and it would be great to have a *co-op* shooter on Vita that can cross-play with PS3, but I will absolutely wait for multiple reviews to say the game looks and plays well from beginning to end before I would ever spend any money on it.

Of course, if a “Director’s Cut” of Aliens: Colonial Marines were to come out on PS4 and actually contain the gameplay that Randy played through in live demos/interviews, that would go a long way to repairing my perception.

+ Macello on August 20th, 2013 at 5:45 pm said:

@83 You need to look at the games actually developed by Gearbox and not farmed out or half-finished. The Half-Life Expansions, Brothers in Arms, and Borderlands were all excellent games/series.

+ m0nkeysensei on August 20th, 2013 at 6:06 pm said:

I love the idea but I am a bit worried about the cuts necessary to get a game built to run on PCs and consoles onto a handheld device. But looking at the tech specs for a vita it is actually slightly more powerful than a 360, interesting.

+ zeothedeathgod on August 20th, 2013 at 6:45 pm said:

i love borderlands 1/2 so much.
any chance of seeing 1 on vita?

+ akuma510 on August 20th, 2013 at 6:55 pm said:

i’m just wondering if it will come with all the DLC’s like a game of the year edition or something similar

+ RxTxR91 on August 20th, 2013 at 7:51 pm said:

hope its the full game. not some cut down game to fit the vita. Here’s hoping! will buy a vita for this game!

+ pw3ninja on August 20th, 2013 at 8:37 pm said:

my message to playstation, gearbox, and 2k…

+ mojon_1 on August 20th, 2013 at 8:37 pm said:

this game is awsome but i would love to see wwe 2k14 from 2k on the vita

+ Formulita_2k on August 20th, 2013 at 9:17 pm said:

I already got this game & the season pass day one on my ps3, not a chance i will purchase everything again to play the same game on my vita. BTW you never fixed the terrible slowdowns when playing split screen and someone go to the inventory…

+ soulzonik on August 20th, 2013 at 9:26 pm said:

Thank you. Really, thank you. I’m a PlayStation Vita fan and this is perfect. I have Borderlands 2 on PS3 and I’m going to buy it again. But please, allow cross-save.

+ Nates4Christ on August 20th, 2013 at 9:37 pm said:

This is absolutely amazing news! I got so excited over the thought about this back when they teased the idea. I never dreamed it would actually happen. It sounds super fun to level up a character on the go when and where I want!

+ iREVOLTER on August 20th, 2013 at 9:58 pm said:

Heeeeey 2K, how about that BIOSHOCK titles for VITA ?!

+ SeshiLord on August 20th, 2013 at 10:56 pm said:

Vita is awesome.
Borderlands is awesome.
Getting this ASAP.

I’ll have to buy it on retail, I imagine this game will flood my 16 GB memory card if I got it digital :/

+ UndreyVITA on August 20th, 2013 at 11:00 pm said:

I really hope this is a good port.

+ AizawaYuuichi on August 21st, 2013 at 12:01 am said:

I’ll most likely have to buy the physical version of this, and I will be buying it. My 32GB card is regularly full, with 2GB or less of free space…
And assuming they give us all the currently available DLC, I’m pretty sure this would be a huge digital release.

That said, so psyched for this! Just recently finished getting 100% on the PS3 version, now I get to do it all over again on the Vita (provided the trophy lists are separate, which I’m sure they will be, considering the gap between release dates). My Vita is going to be getting so, SO MUCH use once the PS4 comes out, and following into 2014. This is a great time to be a Playstation Nation gamer. :D

+ IrishDude2 on August 21st, 2013 at 3:30 am said:

Cross buy and save? If no then I will get the console version. After all it’s cheaper, bigger screen and better sound and no worries about battery life. But if yes then, YAYYYYYY!!!! Would love to have for both but wont buy it twice

+ HanGlacy on August 21st, 2013 at 5:16 am said:

If you announce it make sure to finish the port in ps vita unlike ruin>warriors lair> canceled!

+ GmonkeyUK on August 21st, 2013 at 5:38 am said:

Will Dave Lang be a DLC Character?