GTAV PS4

Building a New London for The Order: 1886 on PS4

Ru Weerasuriya's Avatar + Posted by Ru Weerasuriya on Aug 21, 2013 // CEO and Creative Director, Ready At Dawn Studios

The Order, Gamescom, 04

When creating our alternate history in The Order: 1886, our goal was to make the environment as believable as possible while at the same time adding our own twist to real places. With the release of our trailer back at E3, we hinted at our vision of an alternate London.

This Neo-Victorian London will seem familiar to everyone, however, advances in technology will take center stage in many ways as you navigate the city. One of the main examples is the advent of electricity throughout the city, well before its time. Gas lamps are replaced by electric street lights. Everywhere you go, you can hear the hum of electricity running through the city.

The Order, Gamescom, 03The Order, Gamescom, 01

The London subway system is present in our version of the world, but it’s much more advanced than it was in real life. Certain sections of the subway system run above ground in between buildings throughout the city. Electric signs line the streets making some areas of London almost look like Times Square.

The other big change you will witness is in the skyline of London. Although the familiar sights of Big Ben, St. Paul’s, and the Tower Bridge are present, the skyline is broken up by watch towers. Their searchlights are constantly scanning the city and the skies. The other change in the skyline is the presence of airship mooring towers. In The Order: 1886, London is patrolled day and night by a squadron of dirigibles called the Sentinels. All of these are a constant reminder that the world is not as it seems.

The Order, Gamescom, 02

These changes are the result of our Industrial Revolution, mankind’s chance to take the upper hand in a centuries-old war. Mankind now has access to advanced weapons, one of which you saw in the trailer — a rifle that can fire electricity.

Communicators give you the ability to converse with the rest of your squad. A thermite gun allows you to shoot a cloud of inflammable thermite that can be ignited by a flame or by shooting a flare into it. In contrast to these advanced weapons, you’ll still be able to use more traditional black powder guns. These give a sense of realism and believability to the world and make the atmosphere feel dirty and palpable, reminiscent of the way we’re used to viewing the real, post-Industrial Revolution Europe.

The Order, Gamescom, 05

The team will be sharing more information about the game in the months to come. For now, we wanted to share with everyone a PSN static theme inspired by The Order: 1886 which will be available on August 21st.

52 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ G-Force08 on August 21st, 2013 at 10:04 am said:

I was really hoping to see some gameplay coming out of Gamescom, but that looks like a negative. Still, I’m looking forward to this game. I can’t wait to hear more about it. :)

+ fromage2323 on August 21st, 2013 at 10:06 am said:

gameplay pls! not even sure what genre this is

+ Jaded_Dragon on August 21st, 2013 at 10:08 am said:

I hope this is one of “those games”, the ones that have a special edition with an art book. The artistic design in this game is one of the things that I find most interesting in it…. but I love that stuff.
Hope to see more of the game of the coming months.

+ cmdluke on August 21st, 2013 at 10:09 am said:

wow awesome theme. this game looks so intriguing. can’t wait to learn even more about it!

+ Mobius2525 on August 21st, 2013 at 10:09 am said:

Day one purchase for me!!

+ Jaded_Dragon on August 21st, 2013 at 10:09 am said:

@fromage2323

I believe they’ve said it’s a 3D person Action/Adventure I believe. Sort of Uncharted-y… if that’s even a thing.

+ PatriotEyez27 on August 21st, 2013 at 10:09 am said:

Hopefully a VGA trailer in December.

+ Seeing_Red_Again on August 21st, 2013 at 10:14 am said:

Two questions

1. Is it really a “launch window exclusive” like one of the speakers at the conference said yesterday? I had noidea it was so far in development to be ready early next year

2. These guys are knights, so will be see some sword combat gameplay in your new game? Or is it all projectile weapons?

+ sharpshot909 on August 21st, 2013 at 10:20 am said:

When can we expect to see some gameplay?

+ jcthomas00 on August 21st, 2013 at 10:23 am said:

This game looks gorgeous – hope it’s a 3rd person action game.

This is the most intriguing AAA game in the PS4 launch lineup and I can’t wait to experience it for myself.

+ KazeEternal on August 21st, 2013 at 10:23 am said:

Don’t suppose that Theme will carry over to PS4?

I know there is a lot of Backward Compatibility hate coming from Sony right now, but I’d like to think that these dynamic themes and the like are built on a VM and will be available on PS4.

+ Enforcer_X on August 21st, 2013 at 10:26 am said:

I’m looking forward to this game from what I have seen so far.

+ letherclad on August 21st, 2013 at 10:33 am said:

This game is looking incredible, I knew Ready at Dawn was a studio to keep an eye on!

+ Mando44646 on August 21st, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

this is one of the PS4 games I am most excited for. I hope we dont have to wait too long into 2014 for it!

+ RawGutts on August 21st, 2013 at 10:40 am said:

We will see gameplay when Ready Dawn decides to make a website for it’s game and then maybe they can tell everyone about the game. Instead of people speculating on it.

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on August 21st, 2013 at 10:45 am said:

Could you please show some gameplay footage?

+ TomatoDragon on August 21st, 2013 at 10:59 am said:

God I can’t wait for this game.

+ TomatoDragon on August 21st, 2013 at 11:01 am said:

oOh… and I will be downloading that theme. I hope there’s a conceptual artbook available for purchase.

+ Trevelyan on August 21st, 2013 at 11:09 am said:

<3 RaD. I know you guys aren't saying much, and it is a linear game. But will there be areas where the game opens up at all?

Definitely my most hyped game, just based on the setting itself. Can't wait to see gameplay!

+ Slimmer_ on August 21st, 2013 at 11:45 am said:

I hope they can use 3D tech on the PS4 because with Werewolves jumping out of my screen would be crazy.

That static is probably the best one I have seen in a long time and it is FREE

+ CrusaderForever on August 21st, 2013 at 12:07 pm said:

I hope this is great and becomes another awesome Sony franchise. So far this game is right in my wheel house. Really looking forward to it and PS4 gaming in general.

Of topic!!!
I just played the Killzone Mercenary Beta Warzone and I just want everyone who hasn’t tried it yet to know that it is amazing! I cannot believe this is a handheld game. GG has done such a great job. Everything about it makes me think about the console games. However, it’s different in a good way with the touch screen, vangaurd and cards. If you haven’t played it yet, please give it a try.

+ stlthriot on August 21st, 2013 at 12:10 pm said:

This game is sounding awesome! Can’t wait to see gameplay!

Will it be an open world game? Reminds me a bit of The Saboteur. :)

+ ghostaljjic on August 21st, 2013 at 12:19 pm said:

Wow, this sounds phenomenal. And with next-gen graphics, I can only imagine how incredible the final product will look. Hopefully it’s an open world game or contains some exploration. This game has a huge amount of potential.

+ Metalsonic_69 on August 21st, 2013 at 12:38 pm said:

Some people I know are complaining that the art style is a bit lacking in color, but I think the game looks beautiful! Ready at Dawn did a fantastic job with Daxter and the GoW handheld games, so I’m willing to give this a chance once I see some real gameplay.

Don’t think I’ll be getting a PS4 anywhere near launch, though. Lack of true backwards compatibility turned me off.

+ boboMELOSHE on August 21st, 2013 at 12:42 pm said:

@#2 in their previous post they said its a third person action title.

I’m so stoked for this, just want to see the game in action now. Hope it doesn’t disappoint.

+ LilWayneSuckz on August 21st, 2013 at 12:54 pm said:

This is my most anticipated game for the PS4 in 2014. I’ve always loved Ready At Dawn and hoped they’d continue working with Sony.

Ready At Dawn will become the next Naughty Dog if “The Order:1886″ ends up being as good as it looks and sounds.

+ Dionysus-Jones on August 21st, 2013 at 12:59 pm said:

If those first images are representative of the in-game real-time engine…

You have my money, sir.

+ lisatsunami on August 21st, 2013 at 1:07 pm said:

This one is a maybe so far. I’ll be interested in learning more.

+ GeoDarky on August 21st, 2013 at 1:33 pm said:

This is one heavy hitter on PS4 no one should miss, the atmosphere, the setting, the steampunk style is just absolutely fantastic.

+ JROD0823 on August 21st, 2013 at 2:10 pm said:

I will be placing my pre-order for this game around the time of the launch of the PS4.

Hopefully there will be a solid 2014 release date revealed by then.

+ diablo103 on August 21st, 2013 at 2:31 pm said:

I really want to learn more about this game. Can’t wait!

+ tusunami on August 21st, 2013 at 4:44 pm said:

I can’t wait to see this title another original title Sony Doods!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Mingo-May on August 21st, 2013 at 5:18 pm said:

One of the top of my list for the PS4 ! Can’t wait to learn more about the gameplay !
And can’t wait to DL this f*****g theme ! :D

+ Apeman24 on August 21st, 2013 at 5:30 pm said:

Thanks for showing us more. I am very interested in the game.

+ steampunksniper on August 21st, 2013 at 7:08 pm said:

I want to know if this game is Coop, and hope to see some gameplay soon.
i hope it has a great special edition, with a art-book or something that would be great. Day one buy for me

+ LOM_General on August 21st, 2013 at 7:39 pm said:

im so ready for this game already preordered it

+ SWITCH_00599 on August 21st, 2013 at 7:49 pm said:

First day buy for me I fell in love with this title ever since E3 :D

+ saab01 on August 21st, 2013 at 8:13 pm said:

Thanks for the theme cant wait to see more gameplay of this game. Its on my radar for now.

+ Rodimus_Prime78 on August 22nd, 2013 at 7:15 am said:

Great Theme! I’ve had this pre-ordered since E3! Can’t wait to play it!

+ Elvick_ on August 22nd, 2013 at 8:01 am said:

Can’t wait to see more.

+ YungShep on August 22nd, 2013 at 9:34 am said:

uhhh….gameplay please..

+ ArchAngelMai on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:49 am said:

A little sad it’s not a launch title, only one I was really interested in, but as long as the game is amazing, that’s all that matters. Art is beautiful, hoping gameplay will match it! Looking forward to gameplay footage sometime soon if possible.

+ Welmosca on August 22nd, 2013 at 11:40 am said:

This game…I got the feeling this game will be the best game of next-gen….3rd person and St.Monica…this cant go wrong…graphics are already looking St.Monica typical=The Best and….top notch quality.I’m literally drooling to see some gameplay…The Order can make me buy a PS4 afterall.

+ plaztiksyke on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:21 pm said:

I really like the look of the art direction, but I’m just not interested in another straight white dudes with big guns game.

The original trailer appeared to have a woman in it, maybe if a future blog post talks more about her role (or if she’s playable), I’ll add it to my must-buy list.

+ Gringo234 on August 22nd, 2013 at 2:10 pm said:

Sony really needs to start showing more of this game to capture to counter magic that Microsoft receiving with EA’s TitanFall.

+ SWITCH_00599 on August 22nd, 2013 at 5:43 pm said:

Cant wait to play it ever since i saw it in e3

+ iREVOLTER on August 23rd, 2013 at 1:09 am said:

if Galahad and Lafayette are there; count me in! C’mon rad give us some gameplay footages, please?!

+ AdaWongKhoSeann on August 23rd, 2013 at 3:28 am said:

awesome game, can’t wait to play, the amazing graphics very nice

+ Crazy-Maisy on August 23rd, 2013 at 5:24 am said:

Thanks for the FREE theme! Also for this post. I’m really looking forward to playing this game.

I’m not begging for game play footage. I don’t know why, but I trust you guys at Read At Dawn with this, and I don’t want to spoil my first play-through.

The Order: 1886 Theme has made my PS3 very, very happy ;)

+ RMX84 on August 25th, 2013 at 8:10 pm said: