PS4 - Destiny

Mike Bithell’s Volume to Debut on PS4 and PS Vita

Mike Bithell's Avatar + Posted by Mike Bithell on Aug 21, 2013 // Designer

Hello, I’m Mike Bithell, and I am a man who makes video games. The last game I made was Thomas Was Alone, and the next is called Volume. It’s a stealth game about being heard, and it’s coming to PS4 and PS Vita first!

I want you to imagine a 15-year-old Mike. He’s nerdy, he’s chubby, and he’s a bit bored of revising for his maths exams. He’s the kind of pedantic person who would be irritated if a website corrected the last sentence to be ‘math’. But right now, he’s not revising, and he’s not correcting hypothetical American editors. He is, instead, cautiously placing the ‘making of’ DVD that came with his copy of Metal Gear Solid 2 into his dusty and somewhat dented PS2.

Volume, Gamescom, 12Volume, Gamescom, 11

One special feature stands out, it shows Hideo Kojima talking about the process of making levels out of Lego. It kind of blows young Mike’s mind: Games are accessible things. He has Lego. Kojima has Lego. In some weird way that Danish toy creates a link that means a lot to him. He decides making games might be for him.

Fast forward to today. I’m now 27. I’m still a massive nerd. I am not yet thin. Last week I announced my new game, Volume – a sort of non-violent player-editable homage to my memories of the games which started me making games. It seems weirdly fitting that the game I bought a PS2 for has inspired something which will be debuting on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita. I’d very much like to tell 15-year-old Mike that this would happen, but, you know, spoilers.

Volume, Gamescom, 10Volume, Gamescom, 09

I’m not saying much about Volume’s plot just yet – that’ll all be announced at a top secret event in October. For now, I can tell you that it’s a game about a very clever man in a small room. A thief who uses cunning and misdirection to overcome enemies. He doesn’t kill anyone, because that’s far too easy and messy.

As the name suggests, a large part of the game is about sound, visual ripples in levels show you the range of the noise you’re making, and you can deliberately use these sounds to mess with your foes. And it’s remixable. You can change the game’s levels, you can fiddle and craft the game to be exactly how you want it. You can make expansions for your friends, or translations to any language you want. Control lies with you.

Volume, Gamescom, 02Volume, Gamescom, 04

I’m exceptionally excited to be making this game, and I can’t wait to put it in the hands of PlayStation fans worldwide. Check out the trailer, and follow me on Twitter to keep tabs on the creative process. I’ve making the coolest stealth game I can, and I want to hand you the Lego set too.

17 Comments

+ Mercenary09 on August 21st, 2013 at 8:05 am said:

Can’t wait to see more of this! I loved Thomas was Alone on the PS3 & Vita.

+ djsaiyan on August 21st, 2013 at 8:19 am said:

Lego and stealth.

I know it’s super cliche to say this, but SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

Seriously, I’m throwing my wallet at my screen here and nothing’s happening.

+ Elvick_ on August 21st, 2013 at 8:20 am said:

<3 you MIke

+ martinirage1 on August 21st, 2013 at 8:23 am said:

This looks like it’s gonna be a great game. Will pick this up on my Vita

+ xClayMeow on August 21st, 2013 at 8:35 am said:

Looks totally awesome and unique.

One of my toughest gaming decisions of 2014 will be whether I get this on Vita or Steam. This looks perfect for Vita, but if Steam Workshop is supported, it’s hard to compete with that.

+ GStylez1980 on August 21st, 2013 at 8:43 am said:

I have to say that this indie game trailer and announcement have made Volume my most anticipated upcoming indie game for my Vita. It seems like this is going to be a really cool take on the stealth genre. Well done!

+ Mobius2525 on August 21st, 2013 at 8:48 am said:

For the vita, can’t wait.

+ mcbuttz78 on August 21st, 2013 at 8:56 am said:

Your a pretty good writer, I have to admit thomas was alone is very, very well written, that game is a gem. I see the mgs vr mission had your days and night.. congrats.

mcbuttz78
vp psn legionarre group

+ snakeeyes211 on August 21st, 2013 at 10:09 am said:

Thanks for the love mike :-)
Day 1 buy

+ anti-altair16 on August 21st, 2013 at 10:30 am said:

After seeing your interviews about how TWA sold over 700,000 excluding the PS+ freebie and how people now know your name, I just knew Volume would be coming to PlayStation and that makes me happy. I bought TWA on day 1 on PSN and loved it. I can’t wait for this title.

+ DrApollo on August 21st, 2013 at 12:29 pm said:

Great looking game! Can’t wait to try it out!

+ lisatsunami on August 21st, 2013 at 1:27 pm said:

I am always interested in stealth games. I’m not sure what you mean by “revising” for math exams. Does that mean “studying?” I don’t remember reading that word in Harry Potter.

Anyway, I will look forward to learning more Or is that “revising” more?

+ paulogy on August 21st, 2013 at 1:29 pm said:

Welcome aboard, Mike!

+ tusunami on August 21st, 2013 at 4:50 pm said:

This looks amazing, haven’t even played Thomas was Alone yet.

+ Rezolution77 on August 21st, 2013 at 7:23 pm said:

Too bad there was not a better discount on Tomas was Alone, I may have bought it.

The trailers I have seen, had decent story telling, but then again, so does Little Big Planet.

Either way Good Luck, they stll look like games worth playing.

+ iREVOLTER on August 22nd, 2013 at 4:08 am said:

So no PS3 release on this one either. Sony suddenly forgot about PS3 user base x(.

+ plaztiksyke on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:16 pm said:

any support for 3D/Move on the PS4 version?

using the Vita as cross-controller for editing levels would be really cool.

looking forward to hearing the soundtrack in bluray-quality surround sound on PS4!