Driveclub

rain Release Date, Pre-order Bonuses Revealed

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar + Posted by Dais Kawaguchi on Aug 21, 2013 // Associate Producer, SCEA

Today, we’re very excited to announce that rain will launch on October 1st on PlayStation Store for $14.99 in North America! To celebrate the news, we’re sharing the second developer diary from the team at Japan Studio and PlayStation C.A.M.P., so watch and enjoy.

From the early stages of the production cycle, we’ve always felt that music is one of the most important elements in creating the world of rain. In this developer diary, Yugo Kanno — who handled all aspects of the composition and arrangements — explains what initially inspired him when introduced to the project, and his experiences while composing the music.

We were also extremely fortunate to work with Connie Talbot, an up-and-coming vocalist from the UK who made her debut on Britain’s Got Talent back in 2007. In the interview seen in the video, Connie shares her excitement and the unique challenges faced during the recording.

We’re also pleased to announce a pre-order that you can pick up now until September 30th on the PlayStation Store that will offer a few pieces of exclusive content. In addition to the full game, the pre-order will come with a dynamic theme, five hand drawn avatars, a musical montage, and a Static Theme — all for $14.99! The static theme can be downloaded as soon as you purchase the pre-order, and the rest will be available on October 1st.

Rain Static Theme

To say thank you in our own special way, we are also including a musical montage as part of the pre-order that includes beautiful musical pieces and sound effects from the game. This audio compilation will transport you into the world of rain and will be offered as part of the pre-order. Just to be clear, the exclusive pre-order contents will not be available for sale after September 30th, so please make sure you don’t miss this incredible deal. The countdown starts today!

We hope everyone is excited about our upcoming launch, and please continue to check back here on the PlayStation.Blog for more news about rain.

+ Mercenary09 on August 21st, 2013 at 7:06 am said:

I’m getting this for sure. You got my pre-order!

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on August 21st, 2013 at 2:32 pm said:

Thank you!
    We hope you enjoy playing the game as much as we did making it!!

+ Vyprstryke on August 21st, 2013 at 7:11 am said:

I love when you guys include the soundtracks. Definitely a good incentive for me to pre-order things.

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on August 21st, 2013 at 2:43 pm said:

We wanted to include something special, so we’re happy to hear that we got you excited!

+ FabioSooner on August 21st, 2013 at 7:19 am said:

The stop frame for that video reminds me a lot of the graphic novel Moonshadow:

Not sure if it’s intended, but that reference brings me a lot of fuzzy memories. Definitely pre-ordering this.

+ rafael_martines on August 21st, 2013 at 7:20 am said:

Full Trophy Support (aka Platinum Trophy)?

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on August 21st, 2013 at 2:52 pm said:

Trophies are definitely supported.

+ stlthriot on August 21st, 2013 at 7:25 am said:

OMG, I’m so excited for this game!! :D Definitely purchasing! :)
Thanks for so many creative and unique games!

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on August 21st, 2013 at 2:56 pm said:

And thank you for supporting rain!

+ truongtantai on August 21st, 2013 at 7:41 am said:

when can i pre-order ?

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on August 21st, 2013 at 3:02 pm said:

Hi truongtantai,
    rain is now available on the PSN Store for pre-order! Thank you!

+ Zionine on August 21st, 2013 at 7:47 am said:

Mm Music..

+ FireCage on August 21st, 2013 at 7:53 am said:

wow nice! =)

+ CeroX99 on August 21st, 2013 at 8:03 am said:

I can’t wait to get this. :D

+ MarkakaJin on August 21st, 2013 at 8:10 am said:

Rain is one of my top of the list of must-haves. Games like Rain are the kind of games that I’m attracted to.

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on August 21st, 2013 at 7:00 pm said:

We’re happy to hear this!! Thank you!
    We hope you enjoy playing it!

+ TomatoDragon on August 21st, 2013 at 8:15 am said:

Been waiting for this info. Nice.

+ martinirage1 on August 21st, 2013 at 8:25 am said:

Is a vita version going to be released in october?

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on August 21st, 2013 at 7:23 pm said:

Hi martinirage1,
    We are currently developing for PS3 only but if there is a demand, we always listen and try to do our best so please keep voicing.

+ Earthling_8 on August 21st, 2013 at 8:33 am said:

The Rain is coming. Bravo! :)

+ ArchAngelMai on August 21st, 2013 at 8:52 am said:

Impressive and meaty preorder bonuses! I was already planning to get it, but this is a great perk for preordering. I have high hopes for this game!
When are we getting The Pupputeer? I loved the Japanese demo even though it was short!

+ Elvick_ on August 21st, 2013 at 9:22 am said:

All these preorder perks are great, keep it up Sony!

Can’t wait to play rain.

+ fistofdeath on August 21st, 2013 at 9:37 am said:

so Bestbuy has this as a Preorder for 59.99? is there another rain game coming out or does bestbuy not pay attention?

+ GhostMachine1 on August 21st, 2013 at 10:03 am said:

When do pre-orders start? I can’t find it in the playstation store.

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on August 21st, 2013 at 7:28 pm said:

The pre-order starts today!! It is now up on the PSN Store so please visit again! We apologize for the trouble if you had a hard time finding it this morning.

+ Welmosca on August 21st, 2013 at 11:12 am said:

Cant wait…its nice to have a release date so I can have the money ready…..and with these sweet bonuses I must pre-order….anyway its a must buy so why not pre-order.Japanstudio you guys are too amazing.I’m yet to see a bad game from you guys…you’re for sure one of the best devs out there…keep it up the phenomenal work.

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on August 21st, 2013 at 7:38 pm said:

Hi Welmosca,
    Thank you for your kind words. Please don’t miss out on the bonuses we are including for the pre-order!

+ lisatsunami on August 21st, 2013 at 11:45 am said:

Hi, Dais, saw you during E3 coverage. You seem like a nice person. Thank you for the digital bonuses and you said “now” in the post so as soon as I can get away from pesky work tasks, I’ll go to the webstore and pre-order.

Game looks and sounds beautiful, original and refreshingly different.

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on August 21st, 2013 at 7:42 pm said:

Hi lisatsunami,
    That’s very nice of you. Thank you :D
    Please check out the PSN Store when you get the chance!

+ RoII_chan on August 21st, 2013 at 12:52 pm said:

It does looks/sounds beautiful, I gotta pre-order this!

+ KungFooJoe on August 21st, 2013 at 1:43 pm said:

So Yeah! When does the pre-ordering start? I can’t locate it in the PSN store.
Take my money please!!!

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on August 21st, 2013 at 7:44 pm said:

Hi KungFooJoe,
    The pre-ordering starts today and it is now up on the PSN Store. We apologize if you had difficulty finding it earlier.

+ IrishDude2 on August 21st, 2013 at 4:10 pm said:

Who needs to watch the weather now after you just told us when we are getting a little rain

+ wilfareus on August 21st, 2013 at 5:12 pm said:

really hoping for a Vita release too :D

+ avluis on August 21st, 2013 at 6:01 pm said:

WOOTHOOT
Getting this!!

+ oo7PorscheMGS on August 21st, 2013 at 8:43 pm said:

BUYING IT TONIGHT :) LOVE THE SONG, I’ve always loved that song (probably the most beautiful classical song I know of….) and can’t wait to hear the full new version with lyrics / vocals. The song fits the beautifully dark art of this game…………..again, I love it :) Thanks SONY JAPAN, glad it’s coming out soon. :)

+ FLYPino on August 21st, 2013 at 9:07 pm said:

4:23
How can she not put a smile on your face?
=]

Not only do her vocals go along with the piece beautifully, but they’re arranged to seamlessly follow the bars of the piano, as raindrops seamlessly follow one another.

Yugo Kanno is a musical genius.

+ Formulita_2k on August 21st, 2013 at 9:09 pm said:

Yes! Can’t wait till October 1st to play this beauty !!

+ Benzitor on August 21st, 2013 at 10:11 pm said:

Any chance to ever see this game on Vita ??? I wish i could play it on the go

+ lisatsunami on August 22nd, 2013 at 2:55 am said:

Just watched the embedded video. Uh, wow. That child both looks and sings like an angel. Made me cry a little it was so beautiful.

I was surprised to hear Kanno-san refer to this as “Rain”. I figured it would be “Ame”. Since you said it’s ok, Kawaguchi-san, I want to also plead for this to be on Vita. Oh, and will there be dual audio?

+ Kchow23 on August 22nd, 2013 at 11:44 am said:

Rain for PS Vita please :)

+ clash562 on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:04 pm said:

is the musical montage the background things that play with your own music?

+ plaztiksyke on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:11 pm said:

Providing a soundtrack is awesome, just please make sure its 320kbps AAC. A few of the soundtracks released lately have been sub-par encodes, for some reason.

With music being so important to the game, are the in-game assets going to be 256kbps Ogg/AAC?

Any support for 3D or Move?

+ pikmin44 on August 24th, 2013 at 9:59 pm said:

i will pre-order as soon as i can! can’t wait for this to come out!!

+ Egz-Onine on August 24th, 2013 at 10:37 pm said:

By “musical montage”, do you mean a downloadable soundtrack? Or will the soundtrack be a separate release?

+ TheDudearino on August 30th, 2013 at 5:13 am said:

I second the motion for “Rain” to be on the Vita as well. Mr. Kawaguchi, please!!!

+ Demonhunter84 on September 12th, 2013 at 5:56 am said:

Preordered Rain.

+ okkazo on September 17th, 2013 at 4:28 am said:

Great, but what do you mean by music montage? are they mp3 music files ‘aka OST’?
if it is soundtrack I am going to order it as soon as you answer me!

Thanks,