PS4 - Transistor

Rogue Legacy Coming to PS Vita, PS3, PS4

Teddy Lee's Avatar + Posted by Teddy Lee on Aug 22, 2013 // Game Designer, Cellar Door Games

Rogue Legacy, Gamescom, 03

So if you guys have been surfing the web, you might have heard that Rogue Legacy is coming to PS Vita, PS3, and PS4. Well… it is! Pretty crazy stuff. If you guys didn’t watch the Sony Gamescom conference, you can check it out here. Feel free to watch for, like, 30 seconds, even though the rest of it is really cool.

Rogue Legacy, Gamescom, 01

Rogue Legacy had only been out for about 2 weeks before we were contacted by Sony, so we’re blown away by how fast they reached out to us. But Shahid and Shane have been great guys to work with, and we were able to get the a-okay to develop Rogue Legacy for all Sony platforms in a ridiculously short period of time. So yeah, go Sony! It’s hard to believe that Rogue Legacy was all but unknown a short 4 months ago, and now we’re still unknown and it’s four months later.

If you’ve never played Rogue Legacy before, think of it as a genealogical Rogue-LITE. It takes a bunch of roguelike elements such as procedural generation, tough difficulty, and perma-death, and puts its own spin on it. For example, when you die you don’t start from scratch, and instead your children take up your sword. Each child has their own unique genetic traits which make them special. So one child might be a Knight with Hypergonadism, which lets him knock enemies back really far, and another could be a kindly Wizard who’s near-sighted and also gigantic. So it’s a different game every time.

Also, each time you die, you’ll pass on all the money you’ve gained to your children, which you can then spend on permanent upgrades. And you WILL have to spend it because all the money you have left over is taken by Charon, the toll keeper, at the start of each castle (which randomizes each time).

So you have a randomly-generated child fighting in a procedurally-generated castle, with permanent upgrades in a Castlevania-style setting, all while you play the game on the bus on your Vita… that pretty much sums it up.

Rogue Legacy, Gamescom, 02

We’re super excited to have it on Sony’s platforms, and we’d love to hear which Sony system you’re looking forward to seeing it on most!

+ xClayMeow on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:03 am said:

Rogue Legacy + Vita = Awesome!

+ avluis on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:04 am said:

Thank you for bringing this to the PSVita.
Lately I buy the indie games but don’t play them since I have to love-hate relationship with windows…
Keep on bringing them. And take your time with the polish, don’t rush the release.
Please look at the previous games out for the system, like Hotline Miami, and take note of what made the a hit on the portable.
Glad to have you on board!

Teddy Lee's Avatar

+ Teddy Lee on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:45 pm said:

Definitely taking note!

+ NinjaMicWZ on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:06 am said:

This is such a score for me. Going to buy it day 1 on Vita. Thanks for making it and thanks for making it happen.

+ Phedran on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:07 am said:

Can’t wait to play it on Vita! And can’t wait to see you guys at PAX. :)

+ liammill18 on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:09 am said:

Super hyped for this, definitely looking forward to the Vita version the most.

Will this have a unified trophy list? I hope so, I hate that feeling when I sit down and realize all my accomplishments are attributed to another system.

+ enjridener on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:09 am said:

I hope this is cross buy, because I’d love the idea of playing it everywhere. I’ve played it on a friend’s pc and it’s awesome. Guess I don’t need to wait for a steam sale. :)

+ Monterossa on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:10 am said:

Rogue Galaxy coming to PS3.

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!

Oh wait…. damn it.

+ DrROBschiz on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:10 am said:

Incredible Game

Incredible News

Cant wait to put this on Vita

+ LeFabuleuxDeux on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:11 am said:

Vita is where it belongs! I recently bought the PC version thinking that the Vita version wouldn’t happen. Now that it’s reality, I probably won’t even touch the PC version. But who cares! At least it’s on the system that can really play to its strength

+ Hitokiri_03 on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:13 am said:

Can’t wait to play!

Day 1

Thanks for porting to PS4.

+ Knight613 on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:13 am said:

Been playing this a bunch on PC. Is there a timetable for when this is supposed to come out?

Teddy Lee's Avatar

+ Teddy Lee on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:47 pm said:

Not sure yet. We’re going to try our best to do this right, so timelines are a little muddy.

+ curlybrace on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:18 am said:

I’ll admit, I’m pretty excited to play Rogue Legacy on my Vita. Seems like a perfect fit – thanks for bringing it to PlayStation.

+ NightHawk17 on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:18 am said:

Can’t wait to play it, sounds fun:D

+ FuntimeBen on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:27 am said:

Would love a cross buy for this! As a (drumroll please) new owner of a VITA I would love to get this game running on my PS4 and VITA.

+ Gorvi on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:28 am said:

The moment I started hearing podcasts talk about Rogue Legacy I started thinking about how perfect the game would be for the Vita. When can we expect to see these versions? All at the same time?

+ barker09 on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:29 am said:

This will be great on the Vita.

+ Anddo on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:33 am said:

I bought this during the Steam summer sale. I’ll gladly double dip.

+ Chanerooo on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:35 am said:

I’ve been playing it on PC and it’s GREAT. I’ll probably buy it for the PS3.

+ FearMonkey on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:36 am said:

Seriously. Best news ever. Seriously. Was going to get this on Steam but now not so sure. Though I suppose I could double-dip. :p

Teddy Lee's Avatar

+ Teddy Lee on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:48 pm said:

I always double-dip.

+ GeoDarky on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

i am speechless, Day 1

+ lisatsunami on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:42 am said:

Wow, this does sound like a perfect fit for Vita.

I am very happy over the explosion of games for Vita on the blog today so thanks!

Teddy Lee's Avatar

+ Teddy Lee on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:54 pm said:

We made this game to be playable in as short windows as possible.
    Each life usually lasts between 1 – 15 minutes depending on your skill.
    And if you’ve really gotta quit, the game autosaves at very frequent intervals so at most you might lose like 30 seconds of playtime.

+ tusunami on August 22nd, 2013 at 11:01 am said:

i’m very happy to see more games coming to PS Vita, but it would be nice to see PS Vita only games more as well.

+ GStylez1980 on August 22nd, 2013 at 11:12 am said:

The Vita’s game lineup is looking super-strong after Gamescom. So happy to have one. Looking forward to playing Rogue Legacy on it!

+ DrApollo on August 22nd, 2013 at 11:15 am said:

This is the game I’ve been hoping would come to Vita. So excited.

+ XeahuleXolic on August 22nd, 2013 at 11:27 am said:

Wooo!!! Hell ya I want!!

+ Elvick_ on August 22nd, 2013 at 11:29 am said:

Watched a Let’s Play of this and it looked awesome. Think I remember Shahid tweeting about it too (which I think is how I ended up watching a Let’s Play in the first place).

Really looking forward to being able to play it on PS Vita!

Will the PS Vita and PS4 versions have any unique features? Touch screen (vita), touch pad (ps4)… that kind of thing?

+ Mobius2525 on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:01 pm said:

will get this for my vita.

+ Kung_Fu_Bricks on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:04 pm said:

I’m one of those that didn’t know about it, but it sounds and looks great! I’m going to have to pick this one up.

+ Ryumoau on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:05 pm said:

looks interesting. Just need to see the price and demo it if possible when it becomes available.

+ plaztiksyke on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:47 pm said:

My mom is the only person I’ve known to beat NetHack. Multiple times. She would play it almost every morning while we got ready for school. If only there were a PS3 version (which she owns), she’d be doing backflips right now.

I’m curious, can the player choose GLBT traits? Like in later Fable series, can I have a same-gender partner and “adopt” a child?

who’s doing the music?

Teddy Lee's Avatar

+ Teddy Lee on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:50 pm said:

You can’t pick your traits. You can pick your favorite child though.
    Also Gordon “A Shell in the Pit” McGladdery and Judson “Tettix” Cowan have done the music. If you like the soundtrack you can buy it here:

*All proceeds go straight to the musicians, so it’s awesome.

+ Vinland_Krauser on August 22nd, 2013 at 1:20 pm said:

Cross buy?
Imagine the joy of entering the PS Store for the first time on PS4 and already have a red bag icon over this title.

+ cat9966 on August 22nd, 2013 at 2:06 pm said:

I can’t wait for this. I recall spending way too much time playing Nethack on a Unix mainframe back in the late 80′s when I should have been doing other things. This type of game is perfect for the Vita.

@ plaztiksyke – I beat it multiple times too and I know a lot of other compulsive players who did as well. The key was to loot a staff shop with something that let you teleport or dig your way out of the store and then hightail it to the next floor before the angry shopkeeper found you. If you found the Staff of Wishing you were god.

+ SLEEPLESS_KNIGHT on August 22nd, 2013 at 3:08 pm said:

Cross Buy? Cross Save?

+ minneyar on August 22nd, 2013 at 4:04 pm said:

Awww yeah, this is a great game.

Although I already played the Windows version enough to max out everything and get up to New Game +6, so I’m not sure if I want to buy it again if it’s a straight port. I’d definitely get it again if there will be new features like another area, more traits, or different upgrades…

+ Bobbio210 on August 22nd, 2013 at 4:08 pm said:

Looks like ghost and goblins with the difficulty level set to 11. Going to get this day 1 for my Vita, thanks Cellar Door games.

+ DarkParodius on August 22nd, 2013 at 5:19 pm said:

Will this have a full platinum trophy set, or the usual 13 trophies for PSN titles?

Teddy Lee's Avatar

+ Teddy Lee on August 22nd, 2013 at 6:15 pm said:

Not sure on the trophy details yet. We’d have to talk to Sony as we get closer to launch.

+ ishralene09 on August 22nd, 2013 at 7:06 pm said:

Man, thanks for bringing this to the PS platforms, especially Vita! Lately I’ve been gaming solely on my handhelds, and I’ve heard of this game and I was like “Oh please bring this to the Vita”. Well, answered prayer! I don’t care how long it’ll take, I’m buying this day 1!

+ runner424 on August 22nd, 2013 at 7:24 pm said:

This will be a day one Vita purchase for sure. Can’t wait, good job Sony.

+ martinirage1 on August 22nd, 2013 at 7:31 pm said:

I really came close to buying this on steam but I don’t always have my computer around so that would have sucked. But thank you for bringing this to the vita. This will be an Awesome addition to my library. You guys truly did a great job with this game and I hope you find success.

+ geof36 on August 22nd, 2013 at 9:21 pm said:

Great move, you guys! Even if there is no cross-buy, I will totally buy this on PS4 and Vita day one. Bought it on Steam, but my computer isn’t so good for games. So glad I have a chance to play it right and on my favorite consoles.

+ YorlecmNwahs on August 22nd, 2013 at 11:20 pm said:

Go to Google

Search “Let’s Get FlatOut Head On PS Vita Compatible”

Click on the first result.

Sign the petition please.

+ lostlemon on August 23rd, 2013 at 5:16 am said:

I’m psyched to play it on Vita, that’s what I’ve been hoping for ever since I heard of the game. Anyone that made this happen has my thanks.

+ rashada07 on August 23rd, 2013 at 9:32 am said:

So if I buy this on PS3 will it be available to me when I get my PS4?

+ RegantCZ on August 25th, 2013 at 3:45 am said:

I pirated the game (sorry) but only to try it out. Got to the first boss (eyeball), got horribly murdered and uninstalled it. This short playthrough conviced me to buy it for Vita. Awesome game for awesome handheld. Hope it gets released soon :3
BTW. Isnt it ironic when Sir Useless is your most usefull hero? :D

+ Jesp on September 12th, 2013 at 12:46 pm said:

Looking forward to this for ps3. day 1 buy for me.