PS4 - Destiny

Spelunky Lands on PS3 and PS Vita Today

Derek Yu's Avatar + Posted by Derek Yu on Aug 27, 2013 // Mossmouth

Spelunky is arriving on PlayStation Store today for PS Vita and PS3. As part of PS Vita Summer Select, PS Plus members will receive 20% off through September 2nd! Yay!

This is Spelunky’s PlayStation debut as well as its handheld debut. It also happens to be the first game I’ve ever released on a handheld, which is personally very exciting, as portable gaming has been such a big part of my life. And I can’t think of a better game or system to do this with!

Spelunky has two qualities that make it a great portable experience, in my opinion. On the one hand, it’s very much a classic arcade game – challenging, but short. It may take you a thousand tries to finally beat it, but each run will last under an hour (some only a few seconds!). On the other hand, Spelunky also borrows a lot from roguelikes, like the randomization, freedom of choice, and numerous, surprising possibilities. The result, I hope, is a game that you will play for years and years on your Vita: on your bed, on the train, and abroad (maybe even in a real cave somewhere?).

Spelunky on PS Vita

Spelunky on PS VitaSpelunky on PS Vita

BlitWorks has done a wonderful job on the port, making it feel right at home on PSN. It looks and sounds great. And since Spelunky features Cross-Buy and Cross-Play, you’ll be able to buy the game once and immediately play some ad-hoc multiplayer between your PS3 and Vita. Also, on Vita you’re no longer tethered to the “leader” player during cooperative play – because you have your own screen, you’ll be able to move around each level freely. Use that newfound ability to scout around and clear the way for your friends… or, if you’re feeling mischievous, to create havoc and grab items before they can get to them!

A big thanks to PlayStation, BlitWorks, and all the fans for making this happen. And to the PS3 and Vita owners who are about to enter the caves for the first time: enjoy! You’re getting a great edition of Spelunky. I’ll be pissing off shopkeepers right alongside you.

PAGE 1 2

+ Zionine on August 27th, 2013 at 11:04 am said:

Lots of excitement for this. :) I’ll pick it up as soon as the web store updates.

+ xPhoenix777 on August 27th, 2013 at 11:08 am said:

I cannot wait until the store updates!

+ AguilarX on August 27th, 2013 at 11:09 am said:

JUST RELEASE IT ALREADY!!! …..sorry

+ Firebrand94 on August 27th, 2013 at 11:09 am said:

So if my brother plays on the PS3 and I play on the vita, do i still have the ability to move anywhere I want on the level? Does he need to be the flag carrier or does the game just register the fact that a vita is also connected and will let us both freely move? Appreciate anyone who can answer this and I’m definitely buying this as soon as it gets released on store!

Derek Yu's Avatar

+ Derek Yu on August 27th, 2013 at 2:06 pm said:

Hey there! You and your brother will both be able to move around freely. If two players are on PS3, though, only one of them will be able to scroll the screen.

So yeah, the game knows who’s on a Vita!

+ greycell on August 27th, 2013 at 11:10 am said:

Stupidly excited to have this on PSN for portable + comfy couch play. Finally beat it once on Steam after 800 deaths in the classic version, and 100 on HD. Still so much more to do.

+ time346 on August 27th, 2013 at 11:15 am said:

A big thank you to Mr. Yu and all those responsible for bringing this fantastic game to Psn/Psvita! It’s a great day to be a Playstation gamer!

+ FJ1100_rider on August 27th, 2013 at 11:23 am said:

@4
did you not read the artcle or don’t you understand basic english ?
it says b” on vits you’ll no longer be tethered to the leader player during co-op play , and ecause you each have your own screen you’ll each be able to move around freely ” – so you got your answer before you even asked the question if you had read it

Also , isn’t this game just a knockoff of Spelunker HD which has been on psn for several years already ? everyone seems to think it;s some new game instead of a remake of an 80s game they already made in hd for psn .

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on August 27th, 2013 at 11:25 am said:

I’m interested in this game, I’ll definitely be checking out the demo.

+ asilentnoise on August 27th, 2013 at 11:27 am said:

Thank you for bringing this game to Vita ! Cant wait to buy and play it today !

+ GeoDarky on August 27th, 2013 at 11:27 am said:

sweeeeeeeeeet!

+ Ouren on August 27th, 2013 at 11:29 am said:

Awww yissssss

+ Firebrand94 on August 27th, 2013 at 11:35 am said:

@7
Well the thing is from other articles I’ve read it says only vita to vita, my question is will it work with ps3 and vita considering ps3 doesn’t have this feature but the vita does.

+ greycell on August 27th, 2013 at 11:38 am said:

It’s live on the North American store!

+ Kung_Fu_Bricks on August 27th, 2013 at 11:38 am said:

Looks like a blast, wish I had a vita to play it on.

It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

+ samrdrgz on August 27th, 2013 at 11:39 am said:

Just a quick heads up, search spelunky on your vita and you will be able to download it, file size is 109 mb. Have fun!

+ Onvertic on August 27th, 2013 at 11:40 am said:

Yasss, I’m so getting this game! :)

One question: Does it have an option to play the original spelunky graphics and music?

+ Peerinward on August 27th, 2013 at 11:43 am said:

Can I buy Spelunky on one account and do cross-play on that same account for both platforms?

+ tusunami on August 27th, 2013 at 11:44 am said:

This seems very cool just might get this when i get my money back from buying the summer games.

+ Mighty_Paulo on August 27th, 2013 at 11:55 am said:

Lots to buy for me this week, but Spelunky hits the top of the list! Can’t wait for the update.

+ Kama2789 on August 27th, 2013 at 11:58 am said:

Yes! I love Spelunky and have been playing since first discovering the classic version in 2009. Already own the XBLA and Steam versions of this and I will be adding the Vita version to my collection as soon as I get home tonight. :)

+ greycell on August 27th, 2013 at 11:59 am said:

@Onvertic, no it doesn’t contain the classic graphics and music. But honestly the new ones are really nice. Lots more variety to the tunes too.

@Peerinward, yes. That’s what cross-buy is on PSN.

+ MapleStory on August 27th, 2013 at 12:00 pm said:

Woo, been asking about Spelunky’s release on the past few blogs about the store updates and now it’s finally here! Scooping it up as soon as the store’s updated, thank you guys for releasing it on the PS3/Vita!

+ Peerinward on August 27th, 2013 at 12:02 pm said:

@greycell

Thanks a lot. I wouldn’t be buying it if cross-play required two different licenses of the game.

+ BeanDK on August 27th, 2013 at 12:09 pm said:

What about cross-save support?

+ STRANGEFLAVOR on August 27th, 2013 at 12:24 pm said:

glorious

yama = drama

+ wilfareus on August 27th, 2013 at 12:28 pm said:

DOWNLOADED AND INSTALLED on my Vita :D

It is finally home at the Vita :D

+ The_Bunn on August 27th, 2013 at 12:35 pm said:

I was already convinced to buy, but the “move around freely if you have a vita” blew me away. YES! AT LAST! This will make playing with my brother so much better!

+ CatatonicAlex on August 27th, 2013 at 12:42 pm said:

I’m 90% certain that I’ll buy it once the store is updated, and 100% certain that I won’t play it for a good while.
Discounts…pfft.

+ NintendudeX92 on August 27th, 2013 at 12:52 pm said:

Bought it on xbla, sold my xbox

Rebought on steam

Now rebought on vita for portability

Spelunky <3

+ CatatonicAlex on August 27th, 2013 at 1:07 pm said:

It’s been boughted.
Along with 2 other games…..

+ SLEEPLESS_KNIGHT on August 27th, 2013 at 1:11 pm said:

Bought it on my Vita quick on my lunch break, but didn’t have time to try it out yet!

+ coolasj19 on August 27th, 2013 at 1:47 pm said:

Any chance we’ll get Daily Challenges one day, Yu? Ehhhhh? EHHHHHHHHHH?

Derek Yu's Avatar

+ Derek Yu on August 27th, 2013 at 2:11 pm said:

It’s possible! I’ll discuss it with BlitWorks!

+ xClayMeow on August 27th, 2013 at 1:48 pm said:

Can’t wait to grab this for Vita. I held off on getting the Steam version which was very tough to do but I don’t like double-dipping. Though I’m a PC gamer first and foremost, I think this game is so perfectly suited for the Vita!

Won’t affect my purchase decision, but is it only ad hoc mp, not online? I don’t own a PS3, so that’s why I was wondering. Still sounds like plenty of fun and replayability single player though!

Derek Yu's Avatar

+ Derek Yu on August 27th, 2013 at 2:16 pm said:

“Though I’m a PC gamer first and foremost, I think this game is so perfectly suited for the Vita!”

Oh, man, I’m glad you think so! It totally is…

And yep, it’s Ad Hoc multiplayer only.

+ fgeo on August 27th, 2013 at 2:28 pm said:

_So_ happy this is finally released on the Vita!

It would be great if we had the Daily Challenges, but otherwise
thank you Mr Yu, BlitWorks and Sony for a wonderful game! :)

+ geneMag on August 27th, 2013 at 2:56 pm said:

Awesome game, I’ve been waiting for this version for so long. Thanks for finally having it on a portable Derek.

@7:
It was inspired by the original Spelunker I think, but the mechanics in Spelunky are very different, and I’d say they one-upped everything about it.

(little bug though… The ninja’s ears are showing in this build of the game. =P)

+ Milkmaniac on August 27th, 2013 at 3:19 pm said:

I’m sure you’ve gotten a lot of this, but any chance for PSN online play in teh future, Derek?

I am 100% purchasing this in about 5 minutes, btw. Thank you!

Derek Yu's Avatar

+ Derek Yu on August 27th, 2013 at 4:28 pm said:

We don’t have any plans for online multiplayer right now, but there’s always a possibility. As you can imagine, it adds a lot of work on the development side!

Thank you so much for buying the game!

+ greycell on August 27th, 2013 at 4:22 pm said:

Got a cross-buy glitch unfortunately.

I purchased it on Vita soon after it hit the store. Works great there.

It only added the PS3 demo to my account and not the unlock however. I can’t even try to repurchase it from the PlayStation Store — it says I’ve already purchased it and shows me my download options — Vita demo + unlock, PS3 demo and no unlock.

I guess I’ll give it a couple days and see if it fixes itself.

+ RateX_BR on August 27th, 2013 at 4:39 pm said:

Please, bring the Daily Challenges!!!!!

+ cowmamba on August 27th, 2013 at 5:23 pm said:

Playing the demo right now, my goodness it looks fantastic on the Vita! It’s definitely on my to-buy list. *oh psn wallet why are you so empty? :P*

+ Bobbio210 on August 27th, 2013 at 6:06 pm said:

I renewed my plus subscription and picked this up. It looks and plays great on the Vita nice work guys.

+ Phedran on August 27th, 2013 at 6:16 pm said:

Already reached the ice caves today, and for me that’s a miracle! Everything really is better on Vita, including (apparently) my Spelunky “skill”. Can’t wait to sink endless hours into this game, as well as the recent PC port. Much love!

+ ElderGodXander on August 27th, 2013 at 6:40 pm said:

Great job on the port. Plays wonderfully so far! I hadn’t played spelunky since the original PC version, and WOW… the translation is nearly flawless.

Honestly, the only gripe I can even come up with is that I miss seeing my collected treasure pile up like it used to during the end-of-level scoring.

+ Ironshroom on August 27th, 2013 at 6:59 pm said:

Hi Derek, just wondering when this game will be released in Australia. I got up early today to try to download it (its the 28th in Aus ATM) and I couldn’t find it. Cheers! (This is the 2nd time I will be buying Spelunky!)

+ DENSHADEI on August 27th, 2013 at 7:17 pm said:

I just bought. Thank you so much Derek for making this cross-buy/cross-play since I own a PS3-Vita combo. Besides Hotline Miami this has been my most awaited game for the Vita as the gameplay suits perfectly for short, endless gaming sessions (perfect for dead hours at the office). You should consider making a new aquaria or Eternal Daughter, just saying. =D

+ Thiagots85 on August 27th, 2013 at 7:46 pm said:

Could have got this on pc… but I love playing these kinf of games on my vita… is just freakin awesome

After I get the platinum on my uncharted golden abyss ( I have to delete it for more games on my 32gb ) I’ll play this so much *.*

+ shrimpdude on August 27th, 2013 at 9:16 pm said:

Why can’t I play my own music with this game running? Outside of music-centric games, I never understood why developers intentionally disable this feature. Shouldn’t I have the choice?

+ Genexi2 on August 28th, 2013 at 12:52 am said:

Going to have to buy some nerf armor for my Vita before I attempt some of those dastardly looking trophies.

+ Tomshep2 on August 28th, 2013 at 1:39 am said:

Still not out in England! :(

Hopefully the store will update soon, though. REALLY looking forward to this, definitly buying! :D

+ Dragonite900 on August 28th, 2013 at 2:26 am said:

Um, Spelunky is out now but (i’m in australia) it’s saying it’s 21.95 without +. I thought it was going to be $15. What happened there?

+ Amir_G_M_US on August 28th, 2013 at 3:15 am said:

Am I the only one not excited?
why do you guys say “it’s finally home for Vita”???

If PSP handled way better games like Kingdom Hearts, the I ask myself why does the Vita own this kind of games?

Seriously, I bought this console hoping to have games like Final Fantasy, Dissidia, Disgaea, more Assassin’s Creed, God Of War and Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet…

Instead we Vita consumers get …. this SNES game?
Even Metal Slug XX is way better than this one