Aug 27

Spelunky Lands on PS3 and PS Vita Today

Derek Yu's Avatar Posted by Derek Yu on Aug 27, 2013 // Mossmouth

Spelunky is arriving on PlayStation Store today for PS Vita and PS3. As part of PS Vita Summer Select, PS Plus members will receive 20% off through September 2nd! Yay!

This is Spelunky’s PlayStation debut as well as its handheld debut. It also happens to be the first game I’ve ever released on a handheld, which is personally very exciting, as portable gaming has been such a big part of my life. And I can’t think of a better game or system to do this with!

Spelunky has two qualities that make it a great portable experience, in my opinion. On the one hand, it’s very much a classic arcade game – challenging, but short. It may take you a thousand tries to finally beat it, but each run will last under an hour (some only a few seconds!). On the other hand, Spelunky also borrows a lot from roguelikes, like the randomization, freedom of choice, and numerous, surprising possibilities. The result, I hope, is a game that you will play for years and years on your Vita: on your bed, on the train, and abroad (maybe even in a real cave somewhere?).

Spelunky on PS Vita

Spelunky on PS VitaSpelunky on PS Vita

BlitWorks has done a wonderful job on the port, making it feel right at home on PSN. It looks and sounds great. And since Spelunky features Cross-Buy and Cross-Play, you’ll be able to buy the game once and immediately play some ad-hoc multiplayer between your PS3 and Vita. Also, on Vita you’re no longer tethered to the “leader” player during cooperative play – because you have your own screen, you’ll be able to move around each level freely. Use that newfound ability to scout around and clear the way for your friends… or, if you’re feeling mischievous, to create havoc and grab items before they can get to them!

A big thanks to PlayStation, BlitWorks, and all the fans for making this happen. And to the PS3 and Vita owners who are about to enter the caves for the first time: enjoy! You’re getting a great edition of Spelunky. I’ll be pissing off shopkeepers right alongside you.

PAGE 1 2

+ Kama2789 on August 27th, 2013 at 11:58 am said:

Yes! I love Spelunky and have been playing since first discovering the classic version in 2009. Already own the XBLA and Steam versions of this and I will be adding the Vita version to my collection as soon as I get home tonight. :)

+ greycell on August 27th, 2013 at 11:59 am said:

@Onvertic, no it doesn’t contain the classic graphics and music. But honestly the new ones are really nice. Lots more variety to the tunes too.

@Peerinward, yes. That’s what cross-buy is on PSN.

+ MapleStory on August 27th, 2013 at 12:00 pm said:

Woo, been asking about Spelunky’s release on the past few blogs about the store updates and now it’s finally here! Scooping it up as soon as the store’s updated, thank you guys for releasing it on the PS3/Vita!

+ Peerinward on August 27th, 2013 at 12:02 pm said:

Thanks a lot. I wouldn’t be buying it if cross-play required two different licenses of the game.

+ BeanDK on August 27th, 2013 at 12:09 pm said:

What about cross-save support?

+ STRANGEFLAVOR on August 27th, 2013 at 12:24 pm said:

yama = drama

+ wilfareus on August 27th, 2013 at 12:28 pm said:

It is finally home at the Vita :D

+ The_Bunn on August 27th, 2013 at 12:35 pm said:

I was already convinced to buy, but the “move around freely if you have a vita” blew me away. YES! AT LAST! This will make playing with my brother so much better!

+ CatatonicAlex on August 27th, 2013 at 12:42 pm said:

I’m 90% certain that I’ll buy it once the store is updated, and 100% certain that I won’t play it for a good while.

+ NintendudeX92 on August 27th, 2013 at 12:52 pm said:

Bought it on xbla, sold my xbox

Rebought on steam

Now rebought on vita for portability

Spelunky <3

+ CatatonicAlex on August 27th, 2013 at 1:07 pm said:

It’s been boughted.
Along with 2 other games…..

+ SLEEPLESS_KNIGHT on August 27th, 2013 at 1:11 pm said:

Bought it on my Vita quick on my lunch break, but didn’t have time to try it out yet!

+ coolasj19 on August 27th, 2013 at 1:47 pm said:

Any chance we’ll get Daily Challenges one day, Yu? Ehhhhh? EHHHHHHHHHH?

Derek Yu's Avatar

+ Derek Yu on August 27th, 2013 at 2:11 pm said:

It’s possible! I’ll discuss it with BlitWorks!

+ xClayMeow on August 27th, 2013 at 1:48 pm said:

Can’t wait to grab this for Vita. I held off on getting the Steam version which was very tough to do but I don’t like double-dipping. Though I’m a PC gamer first and foremost, I think this game is so perfectly suited for the Vita!

Won’t affect my purchase decision, but is it only ad hoc mp, not online? I don’t own a PS3, so that’s why I was wondering. Still sounds like plenty of fun and replayability single player though!

Derek Yu's Avatar

+ Derek Yu on August 27th, 2013 at 2:16 pm said:

“Though I’m a PC gamer first and foremost, I think this game is so perfectly suited for the Vita!”

Oh, man, I’m glad you think so! It totally is…

And yep, it’s Ad Hoc multiplayer only.

PAGE 1 2