Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Aug 28

Killzone: Shadow Fall PS4 Multiplayer Hands-on

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Sid Shuman on Aug 28, 2013 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Going hands-on with Killzone: Shadow Fall’s multiplayer mode for the first time at Gamescom, I couldn’t help but feel that Shadow Fall represents a sea change for the veteran shooter series. The gameplay retains the series’ signature weight and heft, so you never feel like you’re ice-skating through the the meticulously detailed environments. But thanks to a host of refinements from Guerrilla Games, Shadow Fall is undeniably a faster, more fluid, and more satisfying Killzone. Call it Killzone reborn.

DualShock 4 plays a significant role here, with its massively upgraded ergonomics and shooter-friendly L2 and R2 triggers (though Shadow Fall will allow you to use the classic L1 and R1 as well, if you prefer). After my play session, Game Director Steven ter Heide commented that the Shadow Fall no longer uses aim assist, making it a truer test of skill. And you’ll never even notice that change, given the high responsiveness of DualShock 4’s comfortable new analog sticks.

Killzone Shadow Fall Multi Screenshots, 04Killzone Shadow Fall Multi Screenshots, 03

Of course, the spectacular graphics don’t hurt the experience. Shadow Fall’s art direction takes a cue from Killzone’s traditional grey and red palette, then spikes it with orange, blue, and purple to create a look both grim and gorgeous. PS4’s powerful GPU struts its stuff in the desolate environments, rendering large, colorful maps drenched in atmospheric lights and shadow. Eye-catching visual details abound: the way moonlight briefly illuminates a raindrop as it streaks past, or how spotlights ominously scan the dark, tortured landscape.

Shadow Fall’s multiplayer mode starts by loosening stuffy conventions that have defined many modern military shooters. All of the game’s 22 weapons come unlocked, so you’re free to start building specialized classes from the get-go — a move that Guerrilla Games believes will help newcomers find an effective loadout quickly. And rather than grinding matches to earn XP, you’ll augment your equipment and upgrade your skills by completing more than 1,500 skill-based feats and challenges — everything from nailing headshots to destroying enemy shields and much, much more.

Speaking of weapons, Shadow Fall’s arsenal is far larger and more sophisticated than I was expecting. Killzone’s iconic M82 and stA-52 assault rifles both return to active duty, but they’re joined by a host of exotic new weapons, many of which feel both futuristic and lived-in. One versatile new weapon is a burst-fire energy carbine that chews through enemies at medium range, but tap L1 and you’ll extend the barrel to activate a lethal railgun charge-and-fire mode for impromptu sniping. Even a standard-issue VSA M55 Assault Rifle can prove to be a versatile weapon once upgraded with incendiary ammo, a buckshot secondary fire, sights, scopes, and more.

Shadow Fall brings a key innovation to the multiplayer battlefield in the form of player-defined Warzones, i.e. custom game variants that you can name and share online for all to play. You’ll choose from a host of settings dictating map selection, allowed weapons and attachments, faction-specific perks, and more before heading online to test your creation.

One of Guerrilla’s stated goals for Shadow Fall is to keep the game evolving with its player base, and the user-defined Warzones seem like an ideal place to start. Future expansion packs that add new Warzone modifiers are designed to keep Killzone fans experimenting for months, and years, to come.

Killzone: Shadow Fall 01

Shadow Fall will ship with 10 multiplayer maps, and Guerrilla has already confirmed that post-launch DLC maps will be offered free of charge. And the final game promises to dish up an array of other niceties, from clan support to online and offline multiplayer bots, party chat, and a redesigned Killzone.com interface.

Killzone: Shadow Fall ships alongside PS4’s debut on November 15th. Have questions about the multiplayer mode? Leave your questions in the comments!

PAGE 1 2

+ Mterre on August 28th, 2013 at 3:40 pm said:

was not possible to establish a connection with the host of the game,
What is this, I can not play!

+ ACETHEOUTLAW on August 28th, 2013 at 3:48 pm said:

To Phillyblunz:

It’s 2013 didn’t know having local co-op was a standard. Hardly any pc games have it.

Who’s to say down the road they won’t add it?

From what I’ve seen from the Multiplayer, Single player and how gorgeous it looks, no wonder split screen wasn’t included.

Have you ever played Halo 4 in split screen? It almost half’s the resolution to make frame rate playable. The same even goes for call of duty.

It degrades the visuals of the game, and this game is all about immersion and eye candy.

Well, regardless your loss.

I’m picking it up with my Launch day PS4.

+ tusunami on August 28th, 2013 at 4:24 pm said:

Well 1st up KZ Mercenary is how a FPS is supposed to be done for PS Vita, looking at Cod declassified because the developers are supposed to be good at there craft. And yet it looks like people that just got into into the gaming industry, it was for a rushed project.

+ tusunami on August 28th, 2013 at 4:28 pm said:

But KZ Shadowfall for PS4 looks dynamic this will be fun, to get back into the KZ universe!!!!!!!!!!

+ axl4002 on August 28th, 2013 at 5:01 pm said:

Question, in Killzone 2, for the snipers, you could use the stick for big movements and sixaxis for the small movements. I believe 3 had this removed, but will I see it return in Shadow Fall ? It was a fantastic feature.

+ Kaddyshacks on August 28th, 2013 at 5:43 pm said:

It looks really gorgeous. Definite day one purchase for me.

Out of curiosity, did the build you played have the voices implemented yet? I love the Helghast voice work in the other games, and I haven’t really heard any of it in the videos shown so far. I know a lot’s changed for this game, but I’d be sad if they ditched the distinctive Helghast voice style.

+ Kaneda_Neo-Tokyo on August 28th, 2013 at 6:18 pm said:

Already pre ordered in France on amazon.fr : PS4 500 Go + Killzone Shadow Fall Pack

+ TooLVolta on August 28th, 2013 at 6:47 pm said:

Always love Killzone games, great single and multiplayer modes. Looks like this one will be no different, can’t wait.

+ Metalsonic_69 on August 28th, 2013 at 7:10 pm said:

It’s very disappointing if Move controls are gone. That was one of the things Killzone 3 did really well. If you turn off aim assist with the Move, set Turn Speed to 100%, set Sensitivity to 10%, and set the Deadzone to 0%, it was really close to a keyboard+mouse feel. The Sharpshooter was fun for a while, but got tiring and made it hard to react quickly in multiplayer.

+ TheUndertaker85 on August 28th, 2013 at 2:36 pm said:

How about 3D or PS Move/Sharp Shooter? Are they supported?

I can see the difficulty of PS Move/Sharp Shooter but not 3D, particularly on a system as hefty as the PS4.

+ Phillyblunz on August 28th, 2013 at 3:04 pm said:

They confirmed no splitscreen!!!! WTF!!!!!!

No splitscreen no buy.

Sucks cause i had my hopes up for this one. The best non-splitscreen killzone will always be KZ2, pre-patch.

If there is no local coop at all I guess I have no reason to get a PS4 at least until Infamous comes out, watch it will end up having local play and this shooter will be for no lifers wit only virtual friends.

No 3D, no Move, No sharpshooter…….. Or have these been confirmed…..

Wonder wat launch games crap box has with local play……

+ LURKING_WOLF on August 28th, 2013 at 7:20 pm said:

no split screen!? i hate whats become of gaming i used to love playing
split screen with my bros now we have to buy multiple copies
of a game to play togethere i even KZ3 with my bro split screen coop
it was awesome KZSF looks awesome id expect split screen coop from it
or even split screen multiplayer online like CODBO2

+ nobi_us on August 28th, 2013 at 7:33 pm said:

How’s the resolution? Is it 1080p?

I hope all of PS4 games are 1080p native

+ Dudimus24 on August 28th, 2013 at 7:38 pm said:

Hey Sid, any idea if this game is going to be 3D compatible?

+ altair773 on August 28th, 2013 at 7:40 pm said:

I really hope there will be mechs like in Killzone 3.
And Operations Mode as well.

+ JROD0823 on August 28th, 2013 at 8:00 pm said:

Man, this game is shaping up to be really cool.

The 15th of November seems really far away right now… :(

+ JROD0823 on August 28th, 2013 at 8:05 pm said:

There really is no excuse for developers not to run all games at 1080p and 60fps on the PS4.

I’m sure that all of the first and second party developers will pull through for us on that front, but I’m far from convinced that all of the third party developers will stop being lazy and I am worried that they will just keep on making games at 720p and 30fps.

+ socom69 on August 28th, 2013 at 9:14 pm said:

I have a couple questions regarding this. First, and most important to me, will listed servers make a return? I prefer the online setup in KZ2 to the one they had in KZ3. I want my option to find the perfect server and stick with the group I’m playing with. Second, will that perk system from 3 be in this new game (armor, silent footsteps, extra ammo, extra primary weapon. “Extra primary weapon” being the one that disturbs me the most.)? I absolutely hated it and felt it was way too COD-esq. Lastly, will this game have an option to use the original controller configuration? (R1 shoot, L1 melee, R3 zoom). I’m getting it for the campaign and these questions of mine will gauge how long I play its multiplayer. There’s a drastic difference between the amount of time I’ve spent on 2 and 3 due to what GG did to the last game (around 200 hours in 2 and a measly 12 hours in 3).O yea, long live gamepro.

+ Archaga on August 28th, 2013 at 10:47 pm said:

Not the biggest FPS player so I was considering of only getting Battlefield 4 and Destiny (maybe The Division) next generation. Definitely reconsidering my FPS priorities.

+ Jisatsu_Kiddo on August 29th, 2013 at 2:45 am said:

21 said “Aim-assist is removed? This is a very big deal. Now this game can be taken seriously by MLG”

i’m sure halo and cod would like a word with you.

+ CommandingTiger on August 29th, 2013 at 8:31 am said:

Does it have move support, is the single player campaign in 3D?
Like on Killzone 3.

+ CommandingTiger on August 29th, 2013 at 8:37 am said:

I kinda sucked at first when I first played the KZ Mercenary beta.
Now I can easily do a 5:1 7:1 kills per death ratio.
Takes a bit of time to get to know everything, but much more fun than anything else I’ve played.
Even more fun than Battlefield 3.
I sure hope there’s a much better Starthawk-like in FPS for the PS4.

+ TheTwelve on August 29th, 2013 at 10:34 am said:

Hmmm. No split-screen support? Would be lovely if they thought of adding that in later.

+ PreTzeL_The_Gr8 on August 29th, 2013 at 12:56 pm said:

Looks good. Still got alot to prove considering KZ3 was a letdown to me
Honestly, its on my radar but im more hype for other shooters than this…but we’ll see

+ Sandmanzero on August 29th, 2013 at 1:05 pm said:

I don’t believe taking away split-screen support was a wise decision. I’m a strong supporter of being able to play games together with friends and family on the same screen. Having no option for split-screen eliminates that. This is a new game on a next generation console and it’s taking a step back instead of taking a step forward. The fundamental reason most people games play on consoles in the first place is for they can share the experience with others on the same television.

What was the thought process of making this decision?

+ ASIR786 on August 29th, 2013 at 3:58 pm said:

Every article that comes out makes me love this game even more… Already pre-ordered it. Can’t wait till December!

+ Tei_LeonIV on August 30th, 2013 at 3:22 am said:

Can we at least get splitscreen post launch? Are there any plans for it at all?

+ fuNat1k on August 30th, 2013 at 10:46 am said:

Hi im really excited about the new killzone Shadow fall, it looks very fun speccialy the multiplayer modes. But Sid Shuman i Have a question and i hope you can awnser. So you in the multiplayer mode have every single weapon unlocked, so there is stuff that you can unlock? like upgrades to your weapons like sights and stuff? And about the classes? Do we still have them in this game? or you build your own? Thank you :D

+ syk1288 on August 30th, 2013 at 8:39 pm said:

Hey Sid,

Sorry for asking these questions but I’d love to now. We all live in the time where this is possible so I’d like to know:

1. Will Sony do Midnight Digital Releases for games? (Example: Midnight Madness at GameStop but instead release games also on the PSN store at midnight)

2. Will be able to sign in with multiple accounts on one PS4 simultaneously? If so, how much accounts can get be signed it at the same time?

+ BrazilianBeast86 on September 1st, 2013 at 6:43 pm said:

FINALLY a player to watch the games in HD I have not seen any PS4 Games in real HD. \o/ KZ:SF Looks just CRAZY!!!! Keep it up sony!!!!!

+ OniJozh on September 3rd, 2013 at 9:54 am said:

Alright, so split screen has been confirmed, but does it have ONLINE split screen? That will determine whether or not I buy a second controller at launch. Thanks!

+ Mikeyfree1986 on September 12th, 2013 at 6:16 am said:

Yuh, if I buy a copy and mine sister also, can we play campaign together, I dont like the splitscreen I want a full screen campaign together. Something like diablo 3.

Just like killzone 3 splitscreen 2 player mode but I play at mine home at she at hers.. If this is possible it will be a ps4 kill zone box for both of us ^^

+ WillBrenes23 on September 24th, 2013 at 7:59 pm said:

Will you be able to play Killzone SF on PS Vita Cross Play?

+ Thwip on August 28th, 2013 at 8:07 am said:

If it’s anything like the Killzone: Mercenary Beta, sign me up!

+ Sid Shuman on August 28th, 2013 at 1:54 pm said:

It is and it isn’t. I’d describe Mercenary (which is great) as closer to the traditional KZ style, where Shadow Fall is actually a bit of a departure in a few ways — all good ways, though.

+ Jesszman on August 28th, 2013 at 8:07 am said:

Does it have splitscreen support?

+ Sid Shuman on August 28th, 2013 at 3:06 pm said:

Just confirmed that it does not

+ Sid Shuman on August 28th, 2013 at 1:59 pm said:

Not sure actually – checking

+ poodude on August 28th, 2013 at 8:11 am said:

Everything about Shadow Fall sounds (and looks!) amazing. I’m hoping Guerrilla is putting plenty of work into the singleplayer as well; I loved the pacing and set pieces from Killzone 3. So far it looks like a huge improvement in terms of gameplay, but I’m really looking forward to seeing if the narrative has evolved in any way.

+ Sid Shuman on August 28th, 2013 at 2:00 pm said:

Yeah, haven’t played SP yet but even the core concept — the two arch enemies being forced to live right next to each other is a very powerful concept. Can’t wait to learn more, but Justin really liked the small bit he played. It’s definitely far more sandbox-y

+ G-Force08 on August 28th, 2013 at 8:13 am said:

So far, so good.

Nice job on the preview, Sid. I’m looking forward to getting my hands on the game!

+ Sid Shuman on August 28th, 2013 at 2:01 pm said:

Thanks! I was delighted by my hands-on time and I’m dying for more. Definitely a day one buy for me

+ Rman5K on August 28th, 2013 at 8:14 am said:

Very excited for sure!
Operations? I play with a group that still plays Operations every Sunday night. Love that mode in KZ3.

+ GeoDarky on August 28th, 2013 at 8:21 am said:

Easily the best looking shooter on next-gen, i have a feeling that Shadow Fall is going to be big on PS4 and rightfully so it just blows my mind how beautiful and fun this game is, well done GG you guys set the par high for shooters on next-gen and at right at launch thats no small feat.

+ Sid Shuman on August 28th, 2013 at 2:04 pm said:

It looks real nice in person. Curse these highly compressed internet videos!

+ ninjatuned on August 28th, 2013 at 8:23 am said:

What about class specific powers – i.e. the sniper’s cloak, the engineer’s turret etc. Are those in Shadow Fall? I’ve read that there are 3 classes but have yet to see them detailed.

+ Sid Shuman on August 28th, 2013 at 2:04 pm said:

Yes, I believe they’re handled a little differently in some cases. But the Sniper can cloak, the Support class can use a revive droid and turret (among others), drop spawn beacons and more.

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on August 28th, 2013 at 8:25 am said:

But can I hang back and hide while sending my drone in to kill everyone? You know, like in the single player demos we’ve been seeing?

+ Sid Shuman on August 28th, 2013 at 2:03 pm said:

Yep, the drones are in MP too – didn’t get to use them though.

+ redkandi on August 28th, 2013 at 8:28 am said:

Up to 24 players again?

+ Sid Shuman on August 28th, 2013 at 2:03 pm said:

+ NoPity_21 on August 28th, 2013 at 8:49 am said:

killzone mercenaries looks better than this lol see what i did there

+ DesertAss2in on August 28th, 2013 at 8:50 am said:

Hopefully some of the upgrades in mechanics have made there way into Mercenary! I’m excited for both!

+ IrishDude2 on August 28th, 2013 at 8:51 am said:

Does the touch-pad do anything special?

+ Sid Shuman on August 28th, 2013 at 2:05 pm said:

For MP, not sure. In SP, you can use it to issue commands to your droid

+ BlueBl1zzard on August 28th, 2013 at 8:52 am said:

Do you know if the game offers (online or offline) splitscreen support?

+ David2Crazy on August 28th, 2013 at 9:05 am said:

LOVE the idea of offering post-launch maps for free. Segregating an online community behind pay-for map packs, particularly at a console launch, is about the biggest mistake that publishers/developers make. All it does it hurt the community and interest in that game.

+ HOJU99 on August 28th, 2013 at 9:09 am said:

Any chance we could see a level editor added in the future??Combine that the ability of making our own own warzones and you will have one hell of game.

+ Sid Shuman on August 28th, 2013 at 3:07 pm said:

That would be bananas, but haven’t heard anything along these lines

+ Dark_Yoda_313 on August 28th, 2013 at 9:14 am said:

Cannot wait to play this, everything I read about it just seems like more of what I want as well as an evolutionary leap for the developers. I almost feel like Guerilla were ‘waiting’ for PS4 so that their vision for the Killzone universe could be properly realised and explored.

+ Sid Shuman on August 28th, 2013 at 3:07 pm said:

Yeah, I was very impressed. I went from liking Killzone to loving Killzone

+ RecklessOnion_ on August 28th, 2013 at 9:18 am said:

you forgat the most important part: 60 FRAMES PER SECOND BABY!!

PAGE 1 2