Driveclub

Retro Sci-fi RPG Cosmic Star Heroine Revealed at PAX

Robert Boyd's Avatar + Posted by Robert Boyd on Aug 30, 2013 // Lead Designer, Zeboyd Games

We here at the two-man development studio known as Zeboyd Games are pleased to announce that our next RPG, Cosmic Star Heroine, will be coming out on PS4 and PS Vita next year! And to go along with that announcement, here’s our Sega-CD inspired opening video for our game! Enjoy!

Cosmic Star Heroine Reveal, 02

A very special thanks to Dean Dodrill (Dust: An Elysian Tail) who helped out with effects and animation, as well as Chris Geehan and Dan Byrne-McCullough over at Hyperduck (who did the music for our last RPG) for helping make that video go to 11! And of course, our own Bill Stiernberg, who handled the brunt of the work!

Cosmic Star Heroine is our latest attempt to recapture the feel of some of the classic RPGs of the 90s, while putting our own unique spin on the whole experience. Inspired by games like Chrono Trigger (visual style, on-map battles, combo techniques), the Phantasy Star series (overall feel of the worlds and characters), and the Suikoden series (political intrigue, expandable player headquarters), we can’t wait to share Cosmic Star Heroine with you!

So who is the titular Cosmic Star Heroine?

Alyssa L’Salle! She’s one of the galactic government’s top agents, and has saved the galaxy more than once! But when she accidentally uncovers a dark conspiracy, her own government outs her as a legendary spy and the people’s champion! Sure, now she has hordes of adoring fans, but every villainous organization she’s ever crossed in her career knows who she is and is out for her blood! Can she save the day once more while she faces her greatest challenge… everyone!?

Cosmic Star Heroine Reveal, 03

But she won’t have to go it alone! No, she’ll be leading a bizarre group of “heroes” into battle.

Cosmic Star Heroine Reveal, 04

We’ve made several RPGs in the past (Cthulhu Saves the World, Breath of Death VII, Penny Arcade’s On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 & 4), but we’re really stepping up our ambition with Cosmic Star Heroine. A deeper story, meticulously balanced play, a brain-melting soundtrack from Hyperduck, glorious 16-bit-esque pixel art, and much more await you!

And that means we need your help! We’ll be running a Kickstarter to raise needed development funds to make Cosmic Star Heroine the best “Shoulda been released in the 90s” RPG ever! And thanks to the good people at Sony, we’ll be able to offer cross-buy (buy once, get both versions!) PS4/Vita PSN codes for Cosmic Star Heroine at the low reward tier of $10! And of course, there’ll be plenty of other cool rewards if you choose to donate more!

Look for more news, screenshots, and the Cosmic Star Heroine kickstarter in the coming weeks! In the meantime, feel free to ask us questions in the comments!

+ Firepowerr on August 30th, 2013 at 9:05 pm said:

I can’t wait to play on PS4 & Vita.

Congrats on getting everything together, looking forward to backing the Kickstarter.

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 6:57 am said:

Thanks! The kickstarter should be going up in a couple weeks; we’ll be sure to post a new article when it does. :)

+ B-Real206 on August 30th, 2013 at 9:07 pm said:

Turn based!?! Please :(

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 6:57 am said:

Totally turn-based combat!

+ TXCScorpion on August 30th, 2013 at 9:08 pm said:

Yeah….I’ma buy this, real hard. Time to go fish out change from the couch for the kickstarter.

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 6:58 am said:

Lint-covered couch money is the best!

+ coolasj19 on August 30th, 2013 at 9:22 pm said:

You got Mr.Dodrill on board? And it’s only $10 for cross buy? Sign me up!

Which one of you 2 came up with the idea? Or was it a collaborative thing?

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:00 am said:

Cosmic Star Heroine was originally my idea. Dean hasn’t decided if he wants to work on the entire game yet (he has his own projects he’s working on) but he’s such a big fan of the Sega CD/Turbographx CD-era of cutscenes that when he found out we were doing some in that style, he just had to be on board.

+ coolasj19 on August 30th, 2013 at 9:23 pm said:

Twitter link please! I can google but, it’s easier for everyone else.

+ DrunkInBeauvais on August 30th, 2013 at 9:37 pm said:

Why isn’t Sony providing funding rather than requiring a Kickstarter?

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:03 am said:

We had been planning a kickstarter for a long time before Sony contacted us so when we started talking, we decided it would be easier all around if we stuck with our original plan. Sony is supporting us in many ways though (like getting us PSN codes to use as kickstarter rewards).

+ AliciaDarky on August 30th, 2013 at 9:38 pm said:

This one didn’t capture my attention as the others on the main page (I thought it was a side-scrolling action game), but now I want to see more and see how it goes on.
Good luck guys! =).

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:26 am said:

Thanks! The more luck, the better!

+ tylerh1701 on August 30th, 2013 at 9:43 pm said:

Game really looks awesome. I’ll definitely chip in on the Kickstarter.

I hope it sells well and you guys also get a chance to port some of your older games like BoD and Cthulhu on to the Vita and maybe PS4.

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:04 am said:

Thanks! Ports of our earlier games are unlikely, but maybe remakes or sequels. You never know. :)

+ martinirage1 on August 30th, 2013 at 9:48 pm said:

That trailer was so epic. I’m definitely interested and I’m really happy that you guys are bringing this to the vita. I’m not sure if I’ll have a ps4 by next year but I’ll totally play this on my vita.

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:05 am said:

Yeah, we’re really excited to finally be able to show off the trailer. I’d think “This is awesome!” while it was being created and then they’d add a new scene or music or sound effect and it would become that much better.

+ Teflon02 on August 30th, 2013 at 9:49 pm said:

Question:
This looks awesome, I would have liked to see some stuff on the combat so I know what the battles are like. Reason being, this looks great and the music sounds great too. But I’m picky with RPG battle systems, example I hate battle systems that are in a first person view and hate those first person RPG’s too. I’ll keep my eye out for this tho

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:08 am said:

We’ve been writing a lot about various aspects of the gameplay on our official site – http://zeboyd.com/
    As far as battle systems go, there’s no separate battle screen – you’ll be exploring a dungeon and if an enemy group catches you, you’ll fight right there. 3rd person view.

+ Teflon02 on August 30th, 2013 at 9:53 pm said:

Also link to the kickstarter?

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:09 am said:

The kickstarter will go up mid-September. We’ll be sure to announce it on the Playstation Blog when it goes live.

+ coolasj19 on August 30th, 2013 at 10:06 pm said:

@6
Maybe they want to go more open than just Playstation, there’s a ton of stuff that goes into this that we will never know.

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:26 am said:

We may add additional platforms after launch, but for now, Cosmic Star Heroine is just coming to PS4, Vita, PC, and Mac.

+ Man-is-Obsolete on August 30th, 2013 at 10:10 pm said:

Great Job Robert! Keep up the stellar work, and let me know when that Kickstarter goes live.

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:09 am said:

Thanks! Will do. :)

+ TJF588 on August 30th, 2013 at 10:27 pm said:

Zeboyd Games on PlayStation! Beginning of the end, I tells ya…

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:11 am said:

Contrary to any rumors you may have heard, we are not planning on using the sales from this game to fund the construction of a large death ray.

+ Arkafazin on August 30th, 2013 at 10:44 pm said:

I’ve never supported a kickstarter before mostly cause I don’t game on my PC. This might be the first one I give some money to :). I like the concept, I like the influences from Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star, and am given confidence by your team’s track record. Anxiously awaiting the kickstarter now.

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:25 am said:

Should just be a couple weeks before the kickstarter goes live.

+ jonboi24 on August 30th, 2013 at 11:09 pm said:

Weird I am throwing money at my computer and it is not accepting it? Glad to get another RPG game on my Vita.

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:13 am said:

Throwing money at your screen requires a specific digital-compliant currency. I’m sure one of our techies can help walk you through the proper conversion process.

+ AizawaYuuichi on August 30th, 2013 at 11:23 pm said:

First Soul Saga, now Cosmic Star Heroine. The beginning of Kickstarter RPGs coming to PS4/Vita is already amazing, and I look forward to seeing just how far this goes.

This looks like it’ll be fun, based off that trailer, and your listed influences give me a really good feeling about this. I look forward to hearing more about this, and to supporting you guys once the Kickstarter is live. Cheers and good luck!

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:14 am said:

Thanks! We’ll be sharing more info on the game in later PS Blog entries and on our official website, zeboyd.com

+ MarinoBrea on August 30th, 2013 at 11:41 pm said:

You had me at “Sega”. Then “Phantasy Star” delivered the deathblow.

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:18 am said:

I’ve been a fan of Phantasy Star I-IV for years and though the Action/RPG Phantasy Star games are fun in their own right, I wish Sega would bring the classic style back. And hey, if we can make a spiritual homage to the series (while adding our own touches), why not?

+ ImperatorA3 on August 31st, 2013 at 12:08 am said:

Looking forward to it. I like the character design.

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:19 am said:

Thanks! Our artist (Bill Stiernberg) had a lot of fun developing each character’s look.

+ akisuo on August 31st, 2013 at 4:13 am said:

Was excited when this game was first announced, but now I’m more excited that it’s coming to the PS4 and Vita! Hell yeah. Loved the music in the video too.

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:20 am said:

We’re huge fans of Hyperduck’s musical talent. If you liked the music in the trailer, be sure to check out some of their other soundtracks like Penny Arcade’s On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4 & Dust: An Elysian Tail.

+ MarSprite on August 31st, 2013 at 5:21 am said:

Dean Dodrill is in on it? Make this a must buy. After Dust, I find it hard to believe something he makes won’t be good. This would be an opportunity to defy my expectations though.

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:25 am said:

Dust: An Elysian Tail is awesome. To clarify though – Dean just helped with the trailer (and may help in other ways depending on his time); he’s not working full-time on this game since he has his own games he’s making.

+ tusunami on August 31st, 2013 at 5:43 am said:

Well that teaser trailer didn’t help at all. But when more info is available then we will have a much clearer picture.

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:22 am said:

We’ll be sharing more info when the kickstarter launches but in the meantime, I’ve written several blog entries on our site (zeboyd.com) that explain various aspects of the game. Way too much info for one Playstation Blog entry! :)

+ nozomi429 on August 31st, 2013 at 7:07 am said:

Yessssss! Big fan of Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves The World. Have both on both Steam and 360. Will this game be released through Steam?

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 7:23 am said:

No definite on Steam yet but all of our previous RPGs are available on Steam so I’m optimistic. :)

+ tyrolek on August 31st, 2013 at 7:27 am said:

Looks very cool. This will be a second Vita Kickstarter project I will back up after Starlight Inception I backed last year.

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 8:29 am said:

Music to my ears!

+ SavoyPrime on August 31st, 2013 at 7:36 am said:

Now this is a kickstarter project I will support!

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 1:49 pm said:

We’re grateful for your future support! :)

+ Elvick_ on August 31st, 2013 at 8:17 am said:

I still really want those remakes of your other games, you were considering doing on twitter awhile back.

But, hey, I’m glad we’re getting your new game. Which I’m be more excited about anyway. But still, hopefully someday we can have your other games in some way on PlayStation too.

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 1:50 pm said:

Yeah, we seriously considered doing the remakes but in the end, we all decided that it would be better to just go ahead with an all-new game. We may decide to revisit the remake idea in the future though.

+ Thiagots85 on August 31st, 2013 at 8:41 am said:

With all those inspirations?

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

COME TO PAPA

+ xClayMeow on August 31st, 2013 at 9:03 am said:

Will Kickstarter allow us to choose PC or PSN? Or will there be a tier where we can get both?

I’ve backed several games for PC…this may be my first PSN backing (for Vita)!

Will have to read more details and maybe see a gameplay video (even of just alpha) though, since I haven’t played the games you listed as influences.

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 1:45 pm said:

The $10 tier will let you pick between PC or PSN & there will be a higher tier with both (and some other things too).

+ RenderMonk on August 31st, 2013 at 10:03 am said:

I just had to login and let you know how thrilled I am to finally see an RPG being revealed for the PS4/Vita. I loved the 90’s RPGs and this looks and sounds like a day one purchase for me. I look forward to supporting you guys. The opening cinematic was fantastic! Can’t wait to see more.

+ Robbie_G_lrish on August 31st, 2013 at 10:06 am said:

Can you tell me what kind of tone this game is? Is it more “jokey” or serious? Thanks.

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 1:46 pm said:

It’s more serious than our other games (which were all comedies) but there will still be some humor. Think Lunar: Eternal Blue or the Prydain Chronicles for the kind of tone we’re shooting for.

+ ExcelKnight on August 31st, 2013 at 10:13 am said:

I have to say thank you for bringing this game to PS4/Vita! As a huge fan of Suikoden, I’ve been anticipating this game ever since you announced it on the Zeboyd blog.

One thing I’ve been wondering since launch is this: Will the player headquarters expand in a similar, set-in-stone fashion like in Suikoden or will it be more customizable as it grows?

Thanks!

+ Robert Boyd on August 31st, 2013 at 1:47 pm said:

We actually haven’t finalized how the base will expand yet.

+ Amnalehu on August 31st, 2013 at 12:06 pm said:

Ohhh that 90’s music takes me back! Can’t wait to play this one the Vita!

+ BlaqMagiq24 on August 31st, 2013 at 2:42 pm said:

I don’t play many indies but I have to say this one looks great! This one is definitely on my radar. Hope you guys release gameplay soon.

+ Robert Boyd on September 2nd, 2013 at 8:59 am said:

We’ll be releaseing some gameplay visuals later this month so you won’t have to wait long!

+ TJF588 on August 31st, 2013 at 4:15 pm said:

“Sony is supporting us in many ways though (like getting us PSN codes to use as kickstarter rewards).”

*pants tighten* As for that death ray, we all know by now that portability is key in the twenty-first century. On that note, how’s the mobile market been treatin’ CSTW:SHECEADDPAFH – PEGYCE (WA!)?

+ Robert Boyd on September 2nd, 2013 at 9:00 am said:

Mobile sales haven’t been great for us which is one of the reasons why we’re focusing on PC & PSN now. We may decide to take another try at mobile in the future, but no plans right now.

+ mettreidici on August 31st, 2013 at 7:27 pm said:

Man… Now I want to play Snatcher once more, don’t know why, but the intro reminded me of that particular game

+ Robert Boyd on September 2nd, 2013 at 9:01 am said:

I’ve heard a few people mention Snatcher in conjunction with our teaser trailer and though that wasn’t our initial intention (though we were going for a general Sega CD vibe), I’ll certainly take it!

+ VinsanityV21 on August 31st, 2013 at 8:00 pm said:

I’m definitely excited for this. You guys at Zeboyd are definitely capable of some quality games, and this is especially close to my heart because it’s evoking classic Phantasy Star titles. I just wish the attract mode-style trailer there was more authentic though – modern editing & smooth sprite manipulation over backgrounds just doesn’t look right. It’s not like how a TG-16 Ys game would do it, or, say, the Sega CD Lunar. You’re clearly striving for that kind of tone; might as well commit to the style 100%. And Sony, keep the indie games coming! Last week’s announcement for Assault Android Cactus made me very happy. So does this. You guys seem to announce some awesome indie titles every week for the PS4 now. Kamal Ahmad is very good at his job – he’s clearly becoming your Dan Adelman :)

+ NinjaMax on August 31st, 2013 at 8:37 pm said:

Right now the classic Phantasy Star fan in me is feeling a little giddy. Look forward to the final product.

+ sharpshot909 on August 31st, 2013 at 9:46 pm said:

Huge old school RPG fan here. I’ll be picking this one up day one, as I loved Cthulhu Saves the World. I also read that Chrono Trigger was an inspiration for this. Now I have to play a game that took inspiration from my favorite game of all time. I really hope the Kickstarter works well for you!

P.S. Please try to put in a Platinum trophy for this game.

+ Robert Boyd on September 2nd, 2013 at 9:02 am said:

Not sure what the rules for platinums are, but if we can, we’ll be sure to stick one in.

+ ExcelKnight on September 1st, 2013 at 2:47 am said:

Thanks for the reply Mr. Boyd!

+ willster98 on September 1st, 2013 at 7:49 am said:

I dunno guys, maybe I am in the minority here but I an actually quite sick of seeing “yet another” retro game. This genre has been far overused

+ Robert Boyd on September 2nd, 2013 at 9:05 am said:

Retro isn’t really a gaming genre; it’s just a visual style. And within the overarching “retro” style, there are tons of possibilities. Our first RPG, Breath of Death VII looks very different than our most recent RPG, Penny Arcade’s On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4, which in turn will look very different than Cosmic Star Heroine.

+ nakano1987 on September 1st, 2013 at 8:10 am said:

I don’t think the trailer doesn’t have the visual style of Chrono Trigger at all, but those characters in the image below the trailer surely do.

@willster98 Yep, you must be when looking a response like this :) http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9

+ yasuki07 on September 1st, 2013 at 11:59 am said:

no more PS3 love?

+ Robert Boyd on September 2nd, 2013 at 9:07 am said:

Game sales for systems tend to drop rapidly after their successor has been announced and even more rapidly after their successor has been released. If we already had experience working with the PS3, it would be one thing, but it doesn’t make financial sense for us to port to the PS3 when our first PSN game won’t be coming out until the latter half of 2014.

+ nakano1987 on September 1st, 2013 at 12:40 pm said:

I had hoped the same – could then maybe even back – but PS3 support is slowly forgotten. Well, probably developing a game for PS3 and PS4 is very different(?). But then again is Vita more closer to PS3 or PS4 architecture?

+ TomHoang on September 1st, 2013 at 8:38 pm said:

Now that I actually understand how Kickstarters work, I’m ready to throw my money at this game :)

+ TwinDad on September 2nd, 2013 at 9:25 am said:

I thought this game was at PAX, but with what seems like hundreds of games from the indies (which is incredible), I’m on overload. This game looks great. My personal favorite game is Phantasy Star 2.

Any chance some of your previous RPG games could make it to the PS4/PS3/Vita?

+ Robert Boyd on September 2nd, 2013 at 9:27 am said:

Right now, we’re 100% focused on Cosmic Star Heroine. After we’re done with that, you never know, but we’d be more likely to do remakes of our previous RPGs than straight ports.

+ saintaqua on September 2nd, 2013 at 12:19 pm said:

You had me at RPG. Then again at $10. Oh, it’s crossbuy too? You must really love me.

+ RewVitalize on September 2nd, 2013 at 8:30 pm said:

Oh heck yes! A new retro RPG to look forward to on the PS4! I’ll keep my eye on this one…

+ dulun18 on September 2nd, 2013 at 11:16 pm said:

a female character holding a staff? reminded me a particular JRPG series

this looks like Disgaea series.. not really a fan of Strategy RPG..

this is not a game for me..

+ Robert Boyd on September 3rd, 2013 at 4:24 pm said:

It’s a traditional turn-based RPG, not a Strategy/RPG.

+ plaztiksyke on September 3rd, 2013 at 1:46 pm said:

Thank you so much for making a game with a female lead, and one that doesn’t have cliche anime body proportions. This is really getting off on the right foot, and hopefully the beginning of the story/character aspect of “next-gen”.

Are there any non-white characters? GLBT?

PS: I’d love to see your Penny Arcade games come to Vita, even if via PS Mobile :)

+ Robert Boyd on September 3rd, 2013 at 4:37 pm said:

I have four daughters so I thought it was about time that we did a game with a female lead and a non-embarassing one at that.

In the cast lineup image, the second character from the right is non-white. And it’s toned down in the final version, but the gunmancer in the teaser trailer is at least partially Asian (she originally had more of a shrine maiden look to her before we went with more of a Metal Slug look).

No plans on bring over any of our older games to Vita right now, but you never know.

+ sdmf4ever on September 4th, 2013 at 11:08 am said:

There is ONLY 2 words to describe this…………AWESOME SAUCE!

+ Robert Boyd on September 5th, 2013 at 11:38 am said:

Good old-fashioned RPG goodness – that’s what makes the sauce so awesome!