Horizon Zero Dawn

Sep 03

Sep 03

KickBeat Launches Today for PS3 and PS Vita

Bobby Loertscher's Avatar Posted by Community Manager, Zen Studios

KickBeat has been in development for more than three years, and today we’re full of energy as we release the game into the wild and onto your PS Vita and PS3. Here’s one last look at KickBeat, and what you can expect before you decide to spend your hard-earned cash on it (don’t forget, it’s Cross-Buy)!

Why KickBeat? Here are a few reasons we made this game, and why we know you’ll enjoy it:

• KickBeat lets you interact with music! We’ve given you the power of an endless game by allowing you to create your own KickBeat tracks using the “Beat Your Music” mode, which allows you to generate levels with your own music.
  • KickBeat is the first rhythm game with fully 3D interactive characters. Once you have the basic mechanics down, we remove the button cues and the characters themselves become the cues! Beat matching with 3D characters is no simple process — our guys ended up animating all of these movements by hand in order to make them precise enough for beat matching! Further, these are all running at a solid 60 FPS!
  • The KickBeat soundtrack is comprised of 18 hard-hitting tracks from a diverse lineup of artists, from well-known bands such as Pendulum and Marilyn Manson, to indie pioneers Celldweller and Blue Stahli — even to hidden talents like electronic music producer Voicians and Taiwanese rapper Shen Yi. (The story of how we got Shen Yi in the game is pretty funny, we are happy to tell it upon request!)
  • Zen Studios created a story-driven, single-player campaign to tie it all together. All of the cutscenes are hand animated and done in the flavor of old school kung fu movies. The balance of story and combat is tricky, but we feel the finished game presents quite a novel blend of story and rhythm combat, none of which has been done to date.

So, there you have it! We truly hope you enjoy KickBeat, and we look forward to hearing what you all think.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

blkhatpersian said:

September 3rd, 8:09 am

Can’t wait, will be picking it up today :)

September 3rd, 8:12 am

Thanks! Let us know what you think once you’ve had some time to check it out :)

LeeorV said:

September 3rd, 8:13 am

I’m still on the fence about this game, and that trailer did more harm than good.

I’d like to see clean, direct feed gameplay of a single level to be able to gauge the game, an AMV does not show the game’s synchronization with the music at all, and is in no way reflective of the actual game experience.

September 3rd, 8:21 am

There will be a demo so you can check it out for free before you decide :)

ngreatshark said:

September 3rd, 8:13 am

I’ll be getting it for both ps3 & vita, the game looks like alot of fun. I like the idea of being able to use my own music, but I’m interested in knowing if there will be more downloadable tracks in the future, lol I’m not too confident in my own beat matching skills

September 3rd, 8:23 am

Right now, we don’t have plans to add more, but setting up your own music in the game is super easy and we’ll be around to help you out if you need it.

jerk_man said:

September 3rd, 8:17 am

a part of me wants this, the other is weary. Will there be a demo?

jerk_man said:

September 3rd, 8:18 am

but i do like that you can upload your own music. that feature has me wanting it.

Zionine said:

September 3rd, 8:20 am

@3: You buy one , you get the other.. :) so I’ll also be getting it for both.. though mostly on the Vita.. I love me some rhythm games.. and this one has some style to it.

Zionine said:

September 3rd, 8:21 am

60 FPS is nice.. what’s the file size?

johnnyp70 said:

September 3rd, 8:22 am

Can’t wait to play this with my own music. Beastie Boys!!!!!!

Boxster17 said:

September 3rd, 8:23 am

Looking forward to picking this up later today, and it comes just in time for my flight tomorrow :)

DarkSoulGamer94 said:

September 3rd, 8:29 am

Tell us the story ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ I’m picking the game up once i get home

UndreyVITA said:

September 3rd, 8:34 am

Is 850MB the size for PS3 or Vita? What’s the size on Vita?

September 3rd, 8:35 am

Vita! Yes, sorry for the confusion!

Zionine said:

September 3rd, 8:35 am

Right.. what Undrey said. VIta and PS3 file sizes?

and one more question: Is there a platinum or just a gold trophy to achieve?

September 3rd, 8:40 am

No platinum trophy, sorry. File sizes are: 850 MB for Vita and about 1.1 GB on PS3.

Mando44646 said:

September 3rd, 8:48 am

excited to get this. my only complaint is the limited space on my over priced Vita memory card to add my own music for it D

Zionine said:

September 3rd, 8:50 am

Thanks for being so great at answering questions. :) You rock, Bobby!

September 3rd, 8:57 am

No problem, I hope you enjoy KickBeat! Let us know what you think once you get a chance to check it out :)

BlueBl1zzard said:

September 3rd, 8:50 am

I can’t believe this day has finally come. Minute 1 buy!

Nice to see it’s cross-buy, but I’ll be playing the vita version 99% of the time.

TXCScorpion said:

September 3rd, 8:53 am

Too late. Game took wayyyyyy too long to come out so I’m not buying. Also no Plat?!?!?!?! Really?

All that aside I’m being facetious, can’t wait to finally get this game.

September 3rd, 8:56 am

You scared me for a second! Thanks for being patient, we hope you love KickBeat :D

UndreyVITA said:

September 3rd, 9:02 am

Thanks for answering the questions :D, I’m getting the game but not on launch day, I’m saving up for the PS4.

Thwip said:

September 3rd, 9:03 am

You guys did a great job of keeping me interested in this game. There was a bit of a lull, I am assuming when it was decided to you would make a PS3 version, but I was still interested for some reason. Just the right amount of PS.Blog posts, with the right information, and follow-up replies.

I’ll thank you with my wallet later today…well done!

September 3rd, 9:13 am

Thanks for your support and patience! :)

Lenaud01 said:

September 3rd, 9:05 am

Anyone else think Bobby is drop dead beautiful, oh ya the game looks good too ;) keep up the great work I keep refreshing the store in anticipation !

September 3rd, 9:15 am

Thanks for your support and kind words, I hope you enjoy KickBeat :)

CallnMrMojoRisin said:

September 3rd, 9:10 am

Been playing all weekend! Awesome game and quite addicting! Wrote a review of it here:

PZDugna said:

September 3rd, 9:13 am

So you can use your tracks and it will make an arena to fight in, in sync with what the song is?

September 3rd, 9:14 am

Yes! KickBeat walks you through the process of setting up the song, but it only takes a few seconds before it’s ready to rock :)

Lenaud01 said:

September 3rd, 9:17 am

From looks of the trailer you just have listen to the beat and push triangle. Will there be an option to download other peoples beatmaps? For a song that you own of course

September 3rd, 9:24 am

Unfortunately not – each player has to set up his/her own songs, but it only takes a few seconds to do so.

Neil Sorens said:

September 3rd, 9:52 am

Just wanted to add that you can (manually) share beat info with your friends. So if you both have the same song, and one of you has already calculated the beat info, the other person can enter those numbers manually and generate the track without using the BPM calculation tool. I’m hoping that people will come to the Zen KickBeat forum and start collaborating on a big master list of song settings! We’ll also be there to help people with specific songs if they can’t get good settings from the tool, so come on by if you’re having problems or if you want to share the settings for your favorite tracks!

Alika2009 said:

September 3rd, 9:21 am

Will we see an assassins creed sale for plus owners, or ac3 free before ac4 comes out?

Lenaud01 said:

September 3rd, 9:22 am

Wrong area Alika2009 this is for KickBeat ;)

zeothedeathgod said:

September 3rd, 9:26 am

come on come on come on. store needs to update, have had money aiting for this for weeks now.

Lenaud01 said:

September 3rd, 9:29 am

No worries on the beatmaps Bobby seems fast and simple :-) maybe an idea for a kickbeat2 or dlc ;) yes you can hire me lol

CallnMrMojoRisin said:

September 3rd, 9:36 am

True, there is no custom beat map generation in “Beat Your Music” mode. And it does make the imported songs play a little flat compared to the ones that Zen put into the game. But that is only because they did such an awesome job of sinking the gameplay with the songs that come with it. This really is a wonderful game.

CallnMrMojoRisin said:

September 3rd, 9:39 am

Oh, and I have a comment further up that is awaiting moderation, I guess because I put a link to a review I have written about this game. I got a promo code and have been playing all weekend. It is quite an awesome game and very addictive! Hopefully they will approve my link so you can read my full review. But this is easily a 9/10!!

September 3rd, 10:11 am

Thanks a bunch! Glad to hear you enjoyed it :D

JKar275 said:

September 3rd, 9:40 am

I’m glad that there’s a demo for this game. I’ll try the demo & then if I like it – I’ll buy the full game.

CallnMrMojoRisin said:

September 3rd, 9:42 am

That’s what demos are for, JK! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have been!

martinirage1 said:

September 3rd, 9:55 am

Will the demo allow you to upload a song of your own? I would love to see how the game works with some of more heavy metal music rather than what is in the actual game like marilyn manson

PainOfSarrow said:

September 3rd, 9:55 am

is this 14.99 ? i hade my eye on this for a while. will def try the demo.

September 3rd, 10:12 am

It’s $7.99 for Plus users and $9.99 for everyone else :)

CallnMrMojoRisin said:

September 3rd, 10:00 am

Price is $9.99, I believe, and it’s a cross-buy, so buy it once and play it on PS3 and Vita.

k0wb0y-b33b0p said:

September 3rd, 10:08 am

I’m buying this.

johnnyp70 said:

September 3rd, 10:08 am

20% off for Plus Members too!!!

PainOfSarrow said:

September 3rd, 10:09 am

9.99 ? nice i just may get this today then. i will try the demo first. does this do a good job on rap and hip hop songs ? if you even tried of course.

Neil Sorens said:

September 3rd, 10:17 am

Yes. Wu Tang Clan is especially appropriate. I’ve also tried Ludacris, Xzibit, Eminem, and a few others. And there’s some in the game soundtrack, although no A-listers.

Lenaud01 said:

September 3rd, 10:09 am

Discounted the first week same as every game on the PS Vita Summer Select

xClayMeow said:

September 3rd, 10:15 am

Been excited for this game ever since I played it at GDC!

It’s the one and only rhythm game I’ve ever been excited for!

PainOfSarrow said:

September 3rd, 10:18 am

i also jus remember that sony gave me my 3$ from buying 2 games from that promo they hade going a while ago. looks like il have a discount to technicaly since im not a plus user. ha

PainOfSarrow said:

September 3rd, 10:20 am

Neil Sorens , you named some of my fav rap artist. im glade you was able to confirm rap will work well. def getting this once the update goes live.

BlueBl1zzard said:

September 3rd, 10:20 am

@Neil Sorens (response to #21) That’s a very good idea! Could you by any chance post a link to that forum you’re talking about?

CallnMrMojoRisin said:

September 3rd, 10:21 am

PainOfSarrow, anything with a solid beat should work, although it won’t be as solid as playing the Zen created levels. But there is some rap on there including a song that sounds ALOT like Eminem but isn’t. :)

CallnMrMojoRisin said:

September 3rd, 10:22 am

You gotta play this to “Kung Fu Fighting”. I’d share the BPM (for the Kung Fu Panda version), but I’m at work right now.

CallnMrMojoRisin said:

September 3rd, 10:24 am

Neil, one question. What EXACTLY does changing the variance in Beat Your Music do?

FearMonkey said:

September 3rd, 10:27 am

Doesn’t really seem like my kind of game but I’ll check out the demo, thanks. :)

Also, can we expect any news on more Star Wars tables for Zen Pinball any time soon? Thanks again. :)

September 3rd, 10:32 am

Yes! More Star Wars Pinball tables are coming this fall. I got to check them out for the first time recently – they do not disappoint! Very proud of what the team has done with this next pack :D

PainOfSarrow said:

September 3rd, 10:29 am

as long as it works atleast well enough il be happy. dont need to be as perfect as the normal tracks but as long as its good enough and is responsive. good looks on the info mrmojo.

CallnMrMojoRisin said:

September 3rd, 10:52 am

My review link was finally approved! See comment 20 for my review.

BlueBl1zzard said:

September 3rd, 11:45 am

@41 Thanks Neil!

David2Crazy said:

September 3rd, 11:52 am

Big fan of Frequency/Amplitude… so this looks up my alley. Will probably check out the demo first and then purchase if all goes well.

Sorry if already answered, but what are the restrictions on file type? Just MP3s? FLACs? More curious than anything. Would be even better if this could connect to my Rdio or Music Unlimited accounts.

PainOfSarrow said:

September 3rd, 11:52 am

CallnMrMojoRisin , very good review. well done and informitive.

PAGE 1 2