Driveclub

Hands-on: Child of Light for PS4

Ryan Clements's Avatar + Posted by Ryan Clements on Sep 10, 2013 // Social Media Specialist

Child of Light Revealed, 06

With a small build, dainty crown, and a sword too big too wield, Aurora is an unlikely heroine for an adventure. And yet how perfect a character, and champion, for Ubisoft’s upcoming JRPG tribute, Child of Light. This dazzling array of fantasy aims to open the gates to the world of JRPGs for all gamers, welcoming both long-time enthusiasts and complete newcomers. It’s disarmingly beautiful, lacquered in charm, complexly elegant, and even a little haunting. It’s scheduled for launch sometime in 2014, on PS3 and PS4.

Child of Light Revealed, 08

Aurora, our star of the show, is a petite fairy of a girl, and daughter to a duke from Austria. She finds herself in a mysterious land called Lemuria, enjoying the company of an agile little flame named Igniculus. Her adventures to defeat the Black Queen will take her through a host of mystic environs in search of answers and, more importantly, home.

Child of Light is built with the same engine that powers Ubisoft’s recent Rayman games: the dazzling UbiArt Framework. This means Child of light is built with layer upon layer of breathtaking, HD artwork. The characters and scenery move and leap like a painting made real. The designers looked to many things for inspiration for this visual spectacle, including the elaborate lighting and set pieces of classical opera.

As Aurora navigates the world with Igniculus alongside her, she’ll face a variety of puzzles and meet a whole cast of interesting characters. In true JRPG fashion, the story plays out with dialogue between our little hero and her companions. In Child of Light’s case, however, all the dialogue is written in rhyme, leading to some genuinely adorable exchanges.

When Aurora enters battle, we’re treated to an exhilarating fly through of the arena before the camera settles on our hero and her adversaries. Battles operate in a turn-based system, with a cast meter dicting the turn order of each character on screen. The meter is divided into two sections: a longer, blue “wait” section, then a short, red “cast” section at the end. Each character is represented by a small icon that slides along the meter as they ready themselves.

The key to battling in Child of Light is to time your attacks properly. Attacking an enemy that’s in the red cast section will interrupt its attack, sending it all the way back to the beginning of the meter. When Aurora and her friends have their turn, time stands still, and an elegant menu opens with a host of different options, like attacking, casting spells, using items, and other familiar JRPG goodies.

Child of Light Revealed, 05Child of Light Revealed, 02

Complementing this turn system is a relationship of elements that encourage players to select the right elemental spells for the right enemies, scrambling ever towards that extra damage bonus earned when you cast one elemental spell against a foul creature aligned with the opposite element.

Aurora needn’t face the dangers of combat alone, however. Igniculus can offer assistance in the form of slowing enemies down as they charge up on attack, adding a touch of strategy to the timing game.

Igniculus, in fact, can serve as the vessel for a second player, providing both battle and explorative support during Aurora’s adventure. This cooperative mode works incredibly well in its early stages, even with the second player taking a passive role. This will enable significant others, siblings, or just a casual observer, to enjoy the fun without the need for him or her to have extensive knowledge of the action. Though knowledge always helps! A well-played Igniculus can often make the difference between victory and defeat.

Child of Light Revealed, 04

There’s much more of Child of Light still waiting in secret. But what Ubisoft chose to reveal has showcased Child of Light’s remarkable personality and tremendous potential. Aurora and Igniculus make a lovely pair, and Aurora herself seems more than capable of winning our admiration with her few-sizes-too-big sword and courageous spirit.

+ luvtoseek on September 10th, 2013 at 12:34 am said:

Looks interesting!

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on September 10th, 2013 at 1:53 pm said:

Indeed!

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on September 10th, 2013 at 12:50 am said:

By the way guys, this game is from the creative director of Far Cry 3. Yes, that Far Cry 3.

+ Nazotchi on September 10th, 2013 at 1:02 am said:

Timed attacks, gorgeous art, and a female protagonist? This is looking to be a day-1 buy from me.

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on September 10th, 2013 at 1:53 pm said:

I’m thinking the same thing.

+ Rursa on September 10th, 2013 at 1:02 am said:

wtf… where psvita? all platform with Ubi-art Framework (Xbox 360, Wii U, PS3, PC, Xbox One and PS4), but not psvita? disappointed

+ Elvick_ on September 10th, 2013 at 1:05 am said:

If this was also on PS Vita, then I’d be even happier.

+ Virtuous_Villain on September 10th, 2013 at 1:06 am said:

Beyond!!!

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on September 10th, 2013 at 2:59 pm said:

Haha, Beyond!

+ IIL0YDII on September 10th, 2013 at 1:08 am said:

Ok its Rayman engine, why can it be on PS Vita?

+ CQCider on September 10th, 2013 at 1:12 am said:

Grandia’s battle system returns!!!

+ AguilarX on September 10th, 2013 at 1:17 am said:

love you Ubisoft!

+ AizawaYuuichi on September 10th, 2013 at 1:40 am said:

This looks really impressive, and the combat meter looks like they borrowed it from Grandia, which I’m perfectly fine with. Looking forward to more info on this.

And being on the PS4, I’ll be able to remote play it on Vita, so no native Vita version is fine with me. I won’t have to choose to buy one version or the other, or pay more for a bundle. Very nice, in my opinion.

+ fredster90 on September 10th, 2013 at 1:49 am said:

11th
Add me on psn
I’ve got a couple of games

Call of duty 4-9 and declassefied

Mk

Sf4

Gow series

uncharted series

Killzone series

Infamous series

All star battle royal

Every ps plus game and like an other 40

+ fredster90 on September 10th, 2013 at 1:55 am said:

Ok I just read about this game child of light and it looks real good…I know its not its purpose for this but it persuaded me not to purchase the wii u for classic mario games…this game looks like a good subsitute…

+ iREVOLTER on September 10th, 2013 at 2:04 am said:

Why no Vita love ? Sony Q’mon!

+ thunderbear on September 10th, 2013 at 2:21 am said:

Love that Ubisoft are bringing back the 2D style with such vigor and showing what you can do on today’s systems compared to the 8 and 16-bit era. Really enjoying Rayman Legends at the moment and this looks beautiful. Hope it lives up to its promise gameplay wise!

+ IMP_ervious on September 10th, 2013 at 2:31 am said:

Going to have to echo the sentiments of other posters about really wanting a Vita version of this game. It looks amazing and I’ll probably still get it on PS4 but, man, that art on the Vita’s screen…..*drools* Plus, it looks like the type of game I’d like to have on the go.

+ lisatsunami on September 10th, 2013 at 4:08 am said:

I didn’t grow up with JRPGs so I’m not a fan of turn-based fighting and can’t fathom why people would like gameplay from the nineties. But, to each, his own.

The art style is very beautiful and almost convinces me to buy this.

+ ioshi_US on September 10th, 2013 at 4:36 am said:

ps vita version plssss…..

+ erapago on September 10th, 2013 at 4:48 am said:

So, do we have to tweet @giocorsi about this for the #jrpgvita campaign?

+ NoPity_21 on September 10th, 2013 at 5:13 am said:

Put this on the vita equals instant buy

+ liammill18 on September 10th, 2013 at 5:18 am said:

Kind of bummed this isn’t on Vita considering how nicely the Rayman titles ported over. Still gonna’ get it for PS4, but Vita would have been my platform of choice. Same goes for Valiant Hearts.

+ DonkeyKongKilla on September 10th, 2013 at 5:33 am said:

What’s the point of next gen if this 2D stuff keeps coming out? I want games that are going to test the limits of my system and tv. Not this. Even if this is the basics. PS4 should be past this. Makes me want to wait for deciding whether to go PS4 or not.

+ Mister-Nep on September 10th, 2013 at 6:17 am said:

I hope nobody confuses the title and starts labeling as a JRPG. It’s a tribute, sure, but this is literately not a JRPG.

+ Macello on September 10th, 2013 at 6:53 am said:

I’ll add to the voices crying out about the lack of Vita support in Ubi’s new announcements.

+ Loggernaut on September 10th, 2013 at 7:23 am said:

Looks pretty good, bring it to Vita please!

+ stlthriot on September 10th, 2013 at 7:23 am said:

Wow, this game truly defines games as art! Can’t wait! :)

+ TwinDad on September 10th, 2013 at 8:07 am said:

@ DonkeyKongKilla

2D is more complex than 3D in many cases. You have to account for multiple layers in the paralax scrolling. Many different sprites and objects and the lighting for them. This is what the power of next generation is for, It allow for developers to realize their dream games and not have to rely on a unity or epic engine.

Also don’t worry, you’ll get games you want they will come soon enough, there is more than enough games to go around that everybody can get a genre they want.

+ stormyuk on September 10th, 2013 at 8:40 am said:

PS Vita… Needs to be on Vita.

+ xClayMeow on September 10th, 2013 at 9:34 am said:

When I first saw the cover image, I thought it was Merida from Brave.

Ubisoft, why no Vita love this morning?!

+ TUNA-EGG on September 10th, 2013 at 9:53 am said:

OMG, I am hyped for this game! I really hope they consider releasing it for Vita!

+ boxmyth on September 10th, 2013 at 10:37 am said:

The battle meter seems straight out of Grandia (which is great, since I love Grandia’s kinda-turn based battle system).
UBI Soft is making some really awesome games lately.

+ NajinX on September 10th, 2013 at 10:49 am said:

Beyond!

Clements, my boys (17 and 14) and I miss you on the podcast. But we are very happy that you’ve found a home on the PlayStation mothership.

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on September 10th, 2013 at 11:12 am said:

Thank you so much for such a nice note!

Cheers,
    Clements

+ NajinX on September 10th, 2013 at 10:50 am said:

On topic this time:

That game looks gorgeous. It looks like the kind of game my daughter will insist on “helping” me with. She’s 5 and an awesome little gamer in her own right.

+ nakano1987 on September 10th, 2013 at 12:58 pm said:

Beautiful! Will want the PS3 version.

+ gold_og_roger on September 10th, 2013 at 2:11 pm said:

Wow, looks great. Can’t wait to play it on my PS4. It is a title to look forward to after the initial launch titles.

+ Redikol on September 10th, 2013 at 2:51 pm said:

Looks amazing! Can’t wait to play this on the PS4!

+ saab01 on September 10th, 2013 at 4:13 pm said:

Looks interesting hopefully a demo is planned.

+ JesseDylan on September 10th, 2013 at 4:14 pm said:

This looks incredible (Grandia had the best combat system of any game ever).

But why no Vita version????

+ MourningCoffee on September 10th, 2013 at 6:29 pm said:

Wow, this game looks awesome. I showed the pictures and video for the game to my daughter and she is very excited about the main character. This might be the first RPG I play through with her as long as it isn’t too frightening for young kids. In any case, I’ll be picking it up to play myself. Can’t wait!

+ Unretributed on September 10th, 2013 at 7:07 pm said:

I’ll buy a Vita version of this.

It doesn’t look like something I’ll want to play sitting down in front of a TV.

+ avluis on September 10th, 2013 at 7:57 pm said:

Joining the fray, this needs to be on PS Vita as well. Will pick it up on my PS4 at launch as well!

+ JROD0823 on September 10th, 2013 at 8:31 pm said:

This game looks sweet.

I will have to pick this up a little while after it releases, once I have some spare cash. :)

+ Bloodlash on September 10th, 2013 at 9:33 pm said:

This pertains to my interests… Assuming I’m not absolutely destitute after this holiday season, I’ll have to pick this up.

+ djsaiyan on September 11th, 2013 at 8:47 am said:

After spending so much of this console generation short on quality RPGs (compared to the PS1 and PS2 days), I’m thinking this is a definite buy for me.

Beyond!

+ Creative_ae on September 17th, 2013 at 8:36 am said:

Can’t wait to get this little amazing game :D

+ EXQUISITEEMPRESS on October 8th, 2013 at 7:23 pm said:

Intriguing. I don’t know the reason. Maybe as you continue with the updates I’ll figure it out.