Far Cry 4

Lone Survivor: The Director’s Cut on PS3 and PS Vita Release Date Announced

Rob Clarke's Avatar + Posted by Rob Clarke on Sep 20, 2013 // PR and Marketing Manager, Curve Studios

Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut on PS3 and PS Vita

Hey everyone, Rob here, representing the fine men and women of Curve studios in London. I’m very happy to announce that Lone Survivor will be out this coming Tuesday, the 24th of September.

Lone Survivor was originally released for the PC last year by indie developer Jasper Byrne. After eight months of work with Jasper on the PS3 and PS Vita versions, we’re very happy to say that we’ve created the definitive version of this game.

Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut on PS3 and PS VitaLone Survivor: The Director's Cut on PS3 and PS Vita

Jasper describes the game as a “Psychological Survival Adventure.” It has all the hallmarks of classic survival horror games — high on atmosphere and low on available sources of ammunition. Players can choose to use stealth or firepower to deal with the monsters in Lone Survivor. Depending on player choices, the game can play out very differently, with many optional scenes and different endings.

For the PlayStation version, we started with simple upgrades, like adding touch support on Vita and improving the lighting system… and things spiralled from there! We’ve added over twenty new items, new endings, and new game locations. All of them have been designed by Jasper, and all of them are made to expand on the original game seamlessly.

Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut on PS3 and PS Vita

Click here to see the full gallery

If you’ve never played Lone Survivor, you can be sure you’re getting the absolute best version of the game. And if you did play the original, you’ll find the Director’s Cut edition to be a very different experience.

Lone Survivor will be a Cross Buy and Cross Save title, and PlayStation Plus subscribers can look forward to a launch discount when the game makes its PlayStation debut this Tuesday.

+ LumarQQ on September 20th, 2013 at 2:00 pm said:

Definitely going to do another play through on vita :D

+ fromage2323 on September 20th, 2013 at 2:04 pm said:

sounds like a VITA purchase to me

+ B_Unique- on September 20th, 2013 at 2:11 pm said:

What is the price on this gem?
Got to have my wallet ready :)

Rob Clarke's Avatar

+ Rob Clarke on September 21st, 2013 at 1:30 am said:

We’ve not announced the price yet, but it will be a similar price to other PS Vita indie titles :)

+ peruhandcrafts on September 20th, 2013 at 2:12 pm said:

Thanks for this great announcement. VITA it is.

What will be the release price?

+ Gorvi on September 20th, 2013 at 2:22 pm said:

I’ve been looking forward to this one for a while, I can’t wait. You guys at Curve are doing great work getting these games over to the Vita. What do you guys have coming next?

Rob Clarke's Avatar

+ Rob Clarke on September 21st, 2013 at 1:38 am said:

We’ve got an exploration adventure game called Proteus coming out next month. We’ve not announced anything after that, but we’re hoping to do 6 new releases next year!

+ lisatsunami on September 20th, 2013 at 2:33 pm said:

Thank you for the Vita support!
But….is this too scary for somebody who gets scared easily? Classic survival horror sounds like too much for me.

Rob Clarke's Avatar

+ Rob Clarke on September 21st, 2013 at 1:41 am said:

The horror element is a lot of more psychological than many horror games on the PlayStation. I’d suggest taking a look at some of the excellent YouTube Let’s Plays of the game to get an idea :)

+ rabidninjamonky on September 20th, 2013 at 2:43 pm said:

I checked out some gameplay on youtube, and it looks great. I can’t wait to play this on my vita before bed. I guess I’m the opposite of lisatsunami. I love being scared. How many hours of gameplay can we expect? I hope at least 8. If so, I’ll definitely buy it day 1.

+ xenosaga200 on September 20th, 2013 at 2:52 pm said:

this game seems great and even better on ps vita i will buy for sure on vita

+ rabidninjamonky on September 20th, 2013 at 3:33 pm said:

Ok forget my last question. I checked out some reviews for the original version, and saw it was only about 4 hours long. I’m fine with that though, because of the multiple endings and I read that the director’s cut had a new game plus. Is this true? I’ll be buying it regardless. This game looks incredible. Thanks for bringing it to vita! I would have never heard of it otherwise.

Rob Clarke's Avatar

+ Rob Clarke on September 21st, 2013 at 1:44 am said:

It takes between 4-5 hours to beat, but you would be only seeing half of the game on one play-through. There are multiple endings, but importantly there’s two entirely different paths through the game, so it’s not just about playing an identical story up until the last few minutes like some multiple endings!

New Game+ is a really big deal for the Director’s Cut edition and where a large portion of our new items and dialogue, so if you do grab the game I’d definitely reccomend checking it out.

+ KwietStorm on September 20th, 2013 at 3:52 pm said:

Damn I was hoping this would be announced weeks, months in advance. Now it’s in a few days. I’m already pinching pennies for PS4. Would have been nice to have been able to put this in my budget a lot sooner.

Rob Clarke's Avatar

+ Rob Clarke on September 21st, 2013 at 1:46 am said:

Sorry man! We’ve had a release date of October for a while, but no specific date. We try to announce that as soon as we can be absolutely sure the release date won’t change to avoid disappointment. Regardless, hope you end up enjoying that PS4 :)

+ deadendblues on September 20th, 2013 at 4:06 pm said:

Very excited for this and a plus discount too cool

+ tusunami on September 20th, 2013 at 4:21 pm said:

Its just great to see the PS Vita getting so many top-notch games coming to there platform. This will be a game that is a must buy for sure Doods!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ coolasj19 on September 20th, 2013 at 5:34 pm said:

What. Is this? Atmospheric horror? I’m down.

If it’s $10 and the standard PS+ discount takes it down to $8, I can scrounge up enough quarters to go get a $10 PS Card.

+ luvtoseek on September 20th, 2013 at 7:15 pm said:

“Hey everyone, Rob here, representing the fine men and women of Curve studios in London.”

@ Rob- but… but, who will represent the pets!? Come on, Rob! ^o^

Thank you Curve & Jasper! First time player, heard many [scary] positive things about Lone Survivor!

Looking forward to… Tuesday. Tuesday. TUESDAY! (=

Rob Clarke's Avatar

+ Rob Clarke on September 21st, 2013 at 1:52 am said:

No pets.. Not even a cat, it’s quite upsetting. We have some pot plants, though, those are cool I guess :)

+ idDobie on September 20th, 2013 at 7:49 pm said:

You have my wallet!

+ e46drvr on September 20th, 2013 at 7:59 pm said:

Definitely picking this one up!

+ zepified on September 20th, 2013 at 8:05 pm said:

Another Day 1 Indie for me! This game looks great and because I’ve never played the PC version, something tells me I’m in for a treat. Can’t wait!! Thanx for supporting the Vita. : )

+ brooklynzak on September 21st, 2013 at 12:46 am said:

Perfect to play on the Vita. Alone. In the dark. With headphones. Very excited for this one, Rob.

Rob Clarke's Avatar

+ Rob Clarke on September 21st, 2013 at 1:49 am said:

Yes, that’s the exact best way to play it. There’s some tips on setting up a good environment at the start of the game, but playing it with headphones is very atmospheric, glad you’re looking forward to it!

+ aaroniuslim80 on September 21st, 2013 at 1:44 am said:

I have been waiting for this for the longest time. Was afraid it might be delayed till October. This is excellent news and is definitely a day one purchase for me. Can foresee myself playing it more on the Vita than the PS3. This and Spelunky is the reason I loves my Vita much more than other portable devices!

+ JeffsonP on September 21st, 2013 at 4:14 am said:

Will Lone Survivor: The Director’s Cut be released in Brazilian PS Store?
I wanna buy it.

+ aimeraya on September 21st, 2013 at 6:23 am said:

Great News, i really hope that it’ll be released also for EU next week because i’m waiting for it so long.

+ Dragonslayer_023 on September 21st, 2013 at 11:14 am said:

Looking forward to this, played a little bit on PC but decided to stop and wait when I heard it was coming to Vita.

+ djsaiyan on September 21st, 2013 at 5:57 pm said:

Totally double dipping on this. Love the PC version!

+ macy113 on September 21st, 2013 at 7:04 pm said:

Comes out on my birthday. Might pick it up despite already owning it on PC.

+ HomessaHomem on September 22nd, 2013 at 1:38 am said:

Great news for my PS Vita!

+ dylanmannen on September 22nd, 2013 at 7:15 am said:

Does it have a plat? :>

+ Kutu-HipHop on September 22nd, 2013 at 7:16 am said:

if its in the range of $5-$8 wont make me think twice to buy it!

+ blakku_kitto on September 22nd, 2013 at 7:39 am said:

AT LAST! hurray for you, sirs!

+ Ardeallo on September 22nd, 2013 at 8:44 am said:

Mmmm i hope that the Vita discount will be at $9.00 because i only have that on my account. Surely a buy.

+ Rezolution77 on September 22nd, 2013 at 9:48 am said:

You have me interested.

Keep the price reasonable, and it might get added, regardless of forseeing the huge price cut, next year.

+ hazelcabug on September 22nd, 2013 at 10:05 am said:

Please replace psp titles with indie games on Vita IGC…..

+ Rezolution77 on September 22nd, 2013 at 10:08 am said:

Got to love Cross-buy titles.

Stealth Inc. was nicely made, so thinking I just may have to buy this one.

+ Squiggle55 on September 22nd, 2013 at 10:27 am said:

So this is atmospheric horror? Just so I have something to wrap my head around, could someone describe to me how this compares and contrasts with something like, say, Corpse Party or Resident Evil?

+ RoII_chan on September 22nd, 2013 at 10:51 am said:

WOW!! I cant wait to play this, I´m so excited! + director’s cut and discount thats AWESOME!! =)

+ JackmoveJohnny on September 22nd, 2013 at 11:22 am said:

Does this game have a platinum trophy? Buying day 1 either way…but would like to know

+ SirDigbysNemesis on September 22nd, 2013 at 11:29 am said:

I’m concerned that the pixilated graphics being shrunk down on the Vita screen will make it even tougher to see what is going on in the game. The game looks great and I’m excited to play it, but I’m not sure how it will translate on the Vita.

+ Doc_Tury on September 22nd, 2013 at 2:38 pm said:

My Love Affair with Indie Games continues! Day 1 download!

+ duke301 on September 22nd, 2013 at 4:13 pm said:

I never heard of this game, but I’ve never heard of any Indie titles, many of which turned out to be great games. This one looks no different. If the price is right ($10 or less, possibly after a Plus discount), then I will have to give it a try. If the price isn’t right, then I’ll wait for the inevitable sale.

+ EPICNAME420 on September 22nd, 2013 at 6:19 pm said:

I have the original on pc….. can’t wait to play the Directors cut on the vita’s OLED screen!!

+ rabidninjamonky on September 22nd, 2013 at 6:41 pm said:

To everyone asking about the price, the original pc version is still $10, so it’s a pretty sure thing that it will be $14.99 for the directors cut and $11.99 with plus discount.

+ coolasj19 on September 23rd, 2013 at 12:50 am said:

I wouldn’t think of the Directors Cut as a different game. More as a natural expansion to an existing one. That would make sense if there were two versions. I just hope it’s $10. The extra $2 may put it out of the $10 PS Card price range for me. Holy crud there’s a lot of PS+ members on the PSBlog.

+ rabidninjamonky on September 23rd, 2013 at 1:51 am said:

They did put a lot of extra work into the vita version, like touch support, better lighting, etc, plus there is a platinum trophy. I’m not sure there has been a game under $15 with a platinum. But the fact that they haven’t announced a price yet might be a good thing. I think $10 would be smart though. I’m buying it regardless, because I think it looks great, but I think $10 would attract a lot of people that are on the fence and the impulse buyers. We should find out on the PS plus update this morning.

+ Vextalon on September 23rd, 2013 at 11:10 am said:

i don’t really care much about the price but it looks to be a really good Vita title and I support alot indie games. I’m not sure whats so special between the regular version and the directors cut but I hopefully will have fun playing this game.

+ Tuppery_Numnak on September 23rd, 2013 at 11:44 am said:

Buying this the moment it hits the store. If you are too cheap to cough up the ~$12 to support a great dev/game/system, perhaps you should find a new hobby.

+ coolasj19 on September 23rd, 2013 at 2:41 pm said:

I’m not too cheap to cough up money. I’m too poor to. Don’t start with that. I love my Vita as much if not more than the next guy. That holier than thou crap pisses me off. Goddamn, now I’m in a bad mood. Oh, and someone is a smart aleck who can’t read timestamps. Because the price was still announced until 8am September 23rd.

THANKFULLY, the developers have set a price I can afford $11.69. I’ll be downloading this after I get my $10 PS card and it hits the store.

+ PrinceofXIII on September 23rd, 2013 at 6:01 pm said: