No Man's Sky

PlayStation Plus: October Preview

Kristine Steimer's Avatar + Posted by Kristine Steimer on Sep 27, 2013 // Sr. Community Specialist

I’m a sucker for fantasy. If a game allows it, I’ll create an elf mage because magic is awesome. This month I can do just that as Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is entering the Instant Game Collection. With a tale crafted by NY Times best-selling author R.A. Salvatore, stunning visuals from Todd McFarlane, and a customizable combat system, Reckoning has a lot to offer RPG fans. The mix-and-match combat means I can get my magic fix while also smashing things in the face with a hammer, or stabbing them with a sword and other various pointy weapons, which is pretty cool if you ask me.

Sine Mora on PS VitaKingdoms of Amalur Reckoning on PS3Poker Night 2 on PS3Shadow of the Colossus on PS3Hotline Miami on PS Vita

You may remember that last month we added Team Ico’s original cult classic ICO to the IGC, so their equally beloved sequel Shadow of the Colossus seemed like a natural follow-up. Slaying the majestic Colossi should make you feel something (read: incredibly guilty), but hey, you gotta save your #1 girl, right? In a completely different vein, Plus members will also receive Poker Night 2, which is an amusing twist on the classic card game. With GLaDOS as the dealer and opponents like Claptrap from Borderlands and Ash from Army of Darkness you can sit back, have a laugh and bet all your fake money away.

PS Vita owners are in for a couple treats – both the gorgeous shmup Sine Mora and the critically acclaimed top-down shooter Hotline Miami are joining the Instant Game Collection later this month. Sine Mora boasts stunning backdrops and cinematics as well as a slightly different shoot-em-up mechanic – you are in a constant race against the clock and the only way to get more time is to kill enemies. Hotline Miami embraces hardcore twitch-based play, which means you may need to repeat levels multiple times, but once you get through it it’s incredibly satisfying. Since Hotline Miami is a Cross-Buy title, you’ll be able to download it for both PS Vita and PS3.

These games will hit the Instant Game Collection at various times throughout the month, so check back with us every Monday morning for that week’s update.

October PlayStation Plus Preview

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PS3)

PlayStation Plus: October Preview

Free for PS Plus members, Regular Price: $19.99
Immerse yourself in an all-new massive universe from the minds of bestselling author R.A. Salvatore, world-renowned artist Todd McFarlane, and legendary game designer Ken Rolston. Choose your path and battle through a sprawling master-crafted world featuring some of the most intense, responsive, and customizable RPG combat ever.

Shadow of the Colossus (PS3)

PlayStation Plus: October Preview

Free for PS Plus members, Regular Price: $19.99
Experience a majestic journey through ancient lands, on a quest to bring a girl back to life. The only way to save her is to slay sixteen Colossi. Explore expansive landscapes and seek out each gigantic beast in its own natural habitat. Armed with only a sword, a bow, each Colossus presents a unique challenge to test your wits, determination, and skill.

Poker Night 2 (PS3)

PlayStation Plus: October Preview

Free for PS Plus members, Regular Price: $9.99
The chips are down and the ante is up in this sentence already bursting with poker clichés! Take the fifth seat in Poker Night 2, at a table featuring Claptrap (Borderlands 2), Brock Samson (The Venture Bros.), Ash (Army of Darkness) and Sam (Sam and Max series). Your dealer is GLaDOS (Portal), but at no point will you be considered as a candidate for a visit to Aperture Science’s Enrichment Center. Unless you lose.

Hotline Miami (PS Vita/PS3, Cross-Buy)

PlayStation Plus: October Preview

Free for PS Plus members, Regular Price: $9.99
Hotline Miami is a high-octane action game overflowing with raw brutality, hard-boiled gunplay and skull crushing close combat. Set in an alternative 1989 Miami, you will assume the role of a mysterious antihero on a murderous rampage against the shady underworld at the behest of voices on your answering machine.

Sine Mora (PS Vita)

PlayStation Plus: October Preview

Free for PS Plus members, Regular Price: $9.99
SINE MORA is a horizontal shoot’em up that provides a unique take on challenge, where time is the ultimate factor. Mixing classic shooter sensibilities with contemporary presentation, SINE MORA is a gorgeous shmup that offers a Story Mode that weaves an over-the-top tale and an Arcade Mode that provides deep, satisfying gameplay to challenge fans of the genre. With many ways to manipulate time, SINE MORA features over 60 weapon combinations to complete each beautiful stage that form fits to the player’s skills with scaling difficulty.

If you’ve got feedback on PlayStation Plus make sure you take the poll above as well as leave a comment below. To chat about all things PlayStation, including this update, you can head over to the PlayStation Community Forums. You’ll also find other topics you can contribute your thoughts to, or you can start your own discussion.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 10

+ MrBeatdown on September 27th, 2013 at 2:30 pm said:

Wow, Kingdoms, Hotline Miami, and SotC… three games I don’t have, and want to try. I don’t think that’s every happened.

Awesome! Sure beats last month’s junk.

+ UNHOLYxNbK on September 27th, 2013 at 2:31 pm said:

Cant believe so many people are happy with this update. An entire 3month subscription to only get psp and indie games (vita only owner)… think about vita only subscribers, I see ps3 getting 3-4 games a month and always at least 1AAA tittle. I pay the same price and only get 1 indie and a toss up of fighter/psp. Greatly dissapointed. And the sales (besides the from japan event) havent been good either.

Ps. No im not a self entitled feeling gamer, I just want at least 1 good game per 3months. Unlike most I work and after I pay bills use whats left to buy the ps+ subscription with my hard earned money. If u cant understand that, then clearly a silver spoon you come from.

+ ShaigunJoe on September 27th, 2013 at 2:33 pm said:

Better than average month I’d say, probably the best one since I signed up back in april still far worse than what Europe is getting though. I would really like to know why Europe is getting some awesome titles that have barely been out a year, definitely feel like the NA releases are sub par to the EU ones.

+ StingrayX on September 27th, 2013 at 2:34 pm said:

Argh! Please release a 1 TB ps3 Sony…I don’t have room for all this! lol

+ brkn_ogr on September 27th, 2013 at 2:34 pm said:

Between all of this and WWE 14 I should be pretty well entertained until november 15th, too bad i cant preorder my PS4 games while getting the extra 10 dollars for every 50 spent

+ Tapps_ on September 27th, 2013 at 2:35 pm said:

Good lineup but I was hoping for a good halloween horror game

+ carlpain on September 27th, 2013 at 2:35 pm said:

Reckoning, maybe. I bought SOTC two months ago. I hope we get good discounts next month. Meanwhile, Steam will keep taking my money with awesome deals.

+ Lefoul-123 on September 27th, 2013 at 2:38 pm said:

Kindom of amalur, galaga, Ico, stoc, resident evil crap. Etc, dont even compare with lets say need for speed. Let alone the whole europe catalog. At least send us vaseline if you are going to treat us like that.

+ Sharing4Fun on September 27th, 2013 at 2:39 pm said:

Danm you should have put a few halloween theme games like maybe resident evil 6 or as least give us siren.you guys dont really like to celebrate halloween in october.anyway i will try any of these game and by the way i own ico and shadow of the collossu collection on dics, but thank to psn plus now i could get both digital.

+ CyDetrakD on September 27th, 2013 at 2:40 pm said:

Sina Mora is a wonderful game for the Vita too bad i purchased it. Seems like every game i bought to support the handheld is on plus but I will take the others i dont own.

+ auskyem on September 27th, 2013 at 2:40 pm said:

FINALLY! Kingdoms of Alamur!

Now please, please add White Night Chronicles 2 (yes it’d need an English digitization).

But, where’s Jak?

+ Lefoul-123 on September 27th, 2013 at 2:42 pm said:

Ps plus cards must be selling with a big jar of vaseline in USA.

+ chavez1138 on September 27th, 2013 at 2:44 pm said:

no PSP games this month!!! great month

+ ItaChu on September 27th, 2013 at 2:49 pm said:

I wont ever buy a game again lol ….unless its a really good sale price XD i already have HLM and SotC ….the other games look nice though :) glad i didnt buy those

+ carlpain on September 27th, 2013 at 2:50 pm said:

I got SOtC for 4 bucks two months ago. Got Hotline: Miami on Steam for 4 bucks last month. Sine More thanks to the Humble Bundle. Poker Night 2 for 1,99 on Steam. Reckoning is the only one I don’t own. I hope we get good discounts next month.

+ Lefoul-123 on September 27th, 2013 at 2:50 pm said:

At least take us on a date if you are going to fu** us like that.

+ greensmurfy on September 27th, 2013 at 2:50 pm said:

First off, I think PS Plus is without a doubt an amazing deal. I’m a bit wary on the sales though. We already get plenty of free games each month, so the incentive to buy games on sale isn’t very high for me. Then the games I do buy on sale have a very good chance of becoming free anyways. This is the third time I’ve bought a game on sale where it has become free a couple months later. This time it was Shadow of Colossus. Not that big of deal because I only payed 5 bucks for it. I just wish it wasn’t so obvious how soon the games on sale become free. The argument that it is better to own the games than to be renting them through ps plus doesn’t mean too much to me. There are only a few games that I would want to keep playing after I beat it or try the game out.

That’s basically my only criticism about PS Plus becomes I love the service. The games free this month seem very fun. Thank you! Also, it would be nice to see how big the size of the games are because my ps3 is completely full. I have to delete games off my hard drive to download new games.

+ Nates4Christ on September 27th, 2013 at 2:52 pm said:

Ah man really really bad month of plus. Two demonic games. KAR all about “gods” and other pagan stuff, and SOTC about some guy making a deal with the devil. Stinks. My only hope is a really good sale.

+ Lefoul-123 on September 27th, 2013 at 2:55 pm said:

They probably worship satan on ps plus crew.

+ XeahuleXolic on September 27th, 2013 at 2:57 pm said:

another fun month thank you sony!!

+ nickdudelgz on September 27th, 2013 at 2:57 pm said:

FINALLY something good.

+ stlthriot on September 27th, 2013 at 3:01 pm said:

I always love getting the digital version of the blu-ray games i own. :D Kingdoms of Amalur!

And Sine Mora on Vita is wicked!

+ I_Be_Trollin_69 on September 27th, 2013 at 3:05 pm said:

Never really liked Sine Mora or Hotline Miami so nothing for my vita next month and here I was hoping for Sly Cooper thieves in time for Halloween. Europe got Both ICO and Shadow together so why did we get the games separate and use up space that could have been used for another good game. People that are paying for this should be mad and demand sony work better deals with studios/publishers and stop giving us leftovers and games that aren’t selling well anymore.

+ carlpain on September 27th, 2013 at 3:06 pm said:

@169 Maybe…maybe that is why they are finally making money this year: They have a deal with the Devil. I’m pretty sure they listen to “Sympathy for the Devil” 24/7.

+ OldManLight on September 27th, 2013 at 3:10 pm said:

NICE! i’m so glad i purchased PS Plus.

+ BrianC6234 on September 27th, 2013 at 3:10 pm said:

I only have SotC from that list so great month. Interesting list of games.

+ Lefoul-123 on September 27th, 2013 at 3:10 pm said:

@Nates4christ is up to something, he discover it. Just look at the games they give. Pure satanic stuff since day one.

+ brianace on September 27th, 2013 at 3:11 pm said:

Wow, a large and varied lineup, and for the first time ever, I don’t own a single one already! What a great month for PS Plus! I’m really excited to give Kingdoms of Amalur a try. Thanks to Sony for including it in this month’s IGC, and also big props to the taxpayers of RI for funding its development! Much love to all!

+ Knighthell45 on September 27th, 2013 at 3:15 pm said:

Amazing update!!! Kristine… if you guys added Kingdom Hearts to the next or whatever PS plus update, i’m telling you, that the download for it would be sky rocketing!!! :) but i can’t wait to finally play Shadow of the Colossus again! I missed that game so much, so happy with PS PLUS :)

+ Otolap on September 27th, 2013 at 3:22 pm said:

Are you serious…

This is what Europe gets…

PS3:

FarCry 3
Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams

PSVita:

Street Fighter X Tekken
Touch My Katamari!

Meanwhile in the US we received…

PS3:

Kingdom of Amalur
Poker Night 2
SofT

PSVita:

Hotline Miami
Sine Mora

What’s wrong with you SCEA!? The vita games you offered where on promo this month so again Sony double dipping on loyal customers and Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen is newer and better then Kingdom of Amalur and who wouldn’t prefer Far cry 3 instead of SotC or Poker night? Another double dipping, you offered EU SotC and ICO as ONE PS3 GAME but for the US you delivered it in a one by one basis… SCEA must really believed that Americans are stupid.

Again SCEA better get your act together before X1 kicks your rear in the US…

+ xiNFINITEoo on September 27th, 2013 at 3:23 pm said:

Yes, Can’t wait to play SoTC, Hotline Miami,and Poker Night 2.

+ Wrru on September 27th, 2013 at 3:31 pm said:

This is the best game release for Playstation Plus members,… Ever… Can not wait to see how this will be topped in the future.

+ mikerocks1234 on September 27th, 2013 at 3:32 pm said:

its ok, but i don’t like that the uk is getting AAA title after AAA titles far cry 3 need for speed ac3 why can’t they deliver the same in the US.

+ SebastianF on September 27th, 2013 at 3:33 pm said:

So Europe gets Far Cry 3 and we get this line up. Great. That game is exactly the type of AAA game that would have sold me on continuing my first (3 month) subscription to PS+. I think I’m better off going back to buying used.

+ qviqve666 on September 27th, 2013 at 3:36 pm said:

Sine Mora is great gane hard but great

+ Lefoul-123 on September 27th, 2013 at 3:36 pm said:

Imagine a guy that buyed a 3 month sub since august, poor guy got only crap.

+ Wrru on September 27th, 2013 at 3:38 pm said:

@180 On that list for Europe I would only be interested in FarCry3. for the US list I am not interested in Poker Night 2. To me the US list is better.

PS4 here I come… XBO next year perhaps.

Also Game for Gold pale in comparison to anything PSN is offering. Hands down PSN offers better games for the cost of the service.

thanks

+ BANDICOOTKING on September 27th, 2013 at 3:39 pm said:

Are you kidding me? Are you freaking kidding me? EU gets DD dark arisen AND Far Cry 3, and we get NOTHING. FREAKING NOTHING. 4 ten dollar games and one of the worst RPG’s on PSN.

:colbert:

+ BANDICOOTKING on September 27th, 2013 at 3:41 pm said:

I’m so very disappointed in you guys. You have no idea.

+ AizawaYuuichi on September 27th, 2013 at 3:43 pm said:

Just a word of warning to those who haven’t played it yet, Hotline Miami is known to cause motion sickness. I played it once with headphones on for 45 minutes and was fine, then the next night for 30 minutes without headphones and when I stopped playing, I suddenly got the overwhelming urge to throw up and was completely disoriented. Never had that happen before from playing a game… it’s an awesome game, but… be careful, haha.

Aside from that, this is an amazing line-up. I own SotC, HLM and KoA:R, and Poker Night 2 on PC, but this is an amazing line up of games. At least I get Sine Mora. I liked the demo, but the trophy list just didn’t look like it’d be worth paying for. For free? Yeah, I’ll go ahead and grab it.

+ felipeUmbra on September 27th, 2013 at 3:44 pm said:

Oh man, oh man, oh man, ty guys ^^

+ RK128 on September 27th, 2013 at 3:48 pm said:

Wow, another great month for NA Plus :). I already own SotC thanks the summer games sale back in July, but Hotline, Sane Mora, and Alamr are all games I don’t own and were interested at some point, so that’s awesome. I do wonder why there’s no Horror games as freebees this month, as it would tie nicely into Halloween (maybe RE 4 HD, Dead Space 3 or even some PS1 horror games). But that just leaves the option open for huge sales (as September had little to no great sales; who wants to buy Aliens CM?), so that’s cool. Really great update this month SCEA :).

+ webspidus on September 27th, 2013 at 3:49 pm said:

This month are so so, but still doesn’t compare with PS+ Euro.

I only will renew my PS+ when SCEA give us better games.

+ AizawaYuuichi on September 27th, 2013 at 3:50 pm said:

@ auskyem: Um, you do know that White Knight Chronicles and WKC2 both had their online servers shut down, right? It’d be really, really stupid of SCEA to give us games that honestly, the main selling point is playing online with your friends, when the online is gone.

+ boomstickbhg on September 27th, 2013 at 3:53 pm said:

Thanks.

Good to see a RPG hit the IGC.

I’ve got poker night2 and that’s a lot of fun so solid month in my mind.

Can’t choose nothing for me this week… I don’t know who I am anymore…

+ PrimeroIncognito on September 27th, 2013 at 3:53 pm said:

Another amazing month.

Two games I already have, two I’m not interested in… that leaves only Poker Night as the game I’m going to download, and yet…

I STILL THINK IT’S AN AWESOME UPDATE.

I get my money’s worth from cloud storage alone, so all the IGC games are just bonuses.

Why can’t these crybabies see the same thing I do?

+ GoldenShaka on September 27th, 2013 at 3:54 pm said:

Well, thanks for add KOA to the IGC, but please give us the whole experience putting the 2DLC on sale too, in the same way you did with sleeping dogs. Those two dlc have NEVER been on sale and their price is like to buy the whole game.

+ PrimeroIncognito on September 27th, 2013 at 3:58 pm said:

@ Frulond (#66)

So, do you believe they’re supposed to structure the program based upon your own personal desires? Or, are they supposed to read your mind? Is that what you’re expecting? Have you ever thought about giving reality a chance?

+ villdoc on September 27th, 2013 at 3:59 pm said:

Another month of garbage while EU gets yet another AAA game. Why do you not at least comment about this????

+ jak_d_ripr on September 27th, 2013 at 4:04 pm said:

I guess ill give sine mora and hotline miami a shot, neither game really captures my interest but I’ve heard good things about them and they’re both free so why not I guess. Shame though, was really hoping for guacamelee and littlebigplanet vita.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 10