Ratchet & Clank PS4

Sep 27

The Last of Us DLC

The Last of Us: Future DLC Plans

Eric Monacelli's Avatar Posted by Eric Monacelli on Sep 27, 2013 // Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

We’ve been hard at work making the DLC content for The Last of Us – and I know that all our Season Pass holders are eagerly waiting for any updates or news. Today, we’re revealing the first of three Season Pass DLC drops: the Abandoned Territories Map Pack.

The Last of Us Multiplayer: Abandoned Territories Map Pack

Weather the opposing Faction and the random, dynamic dust storm on the Suburbs map. Explore a layered map of an overgrown urban environment with wild giraffes in the background in the Bus Depot map. Stalk around in a dark, eerie, moonlit, environment – the perfect setting for some serious stealth – in the Hometown map. Bookstore features a stacked, bi-level layout adding a highly unique dose of vertical gameplay. Excited yet? These maps will be available October 15.

The Last of Us Multiplayer: Abandoned Territories Map PackThe Last of Us Multiplayer: Abandoned Territories Map Pack

When we initially talked about the Season Pass we mentioned making our first ever story-driven single player DLC. This is an ambitious story with strong ties into the narrative of The Last of Us. We just wrapped up a long casting process for a new character, and we’re starting our performance capture shoot next week. The single-player DLC is currently planned for release around the December-January timeframe.

The Last of Us on PS3

Our third Season Pass DLC is multiplayer focused and will arrive in the first half of 2014. We’ll start to reveal more information and a release timeframe as soon as we’ve worked out those details.

To make the wait a little bit easier, we’re adding bonus items to the Season Pass. We have over 60 different head items for your multiplayer character ranging from a Nightmare Mask to a Pigskin Hat that will be free for all Season Pass buyers. These head items will be available a la carte as well, but it’s a tremendous added value for all Season Pass holders.

The Last of Us on PS3

If you want to lock in all three DLC drops and over 60 head items for your multiplayer character at a deeply discounted price, buy the Season Pass today. You’ll be saving over 75% by purchasing a Season Pass instead of buying all the DLC individually. The Last of Us Season Pass DLC is available now on PlayStation Store or at your local GameStop retailer for only $19.99.

+ MJezewski on September 27th, 2013 at 7:37 pm said:

First off….Fantastic game. I bought the season right along with the Day1digital game. I’ve been checking for the DLC from the playstation store at least once week since I got the pass when the game first came out.

I’ve read a lots of posts about not being very happy there is only one SP DLC…and for the most part… I think Im glad to be getting at least that. If it were just MP DLC…then I probably wouldn’t recommend the season pass. I think the MP is alright, its kinda hard when players are so far into it, and the whole searching for things really didn’t seem to have too much meaning other than keeping your facebook friends alive. Its a neat touch, but seemed pretty repetitive after a while.

I know it might be a tall order, but any chance for randomized map layouts? Might make the MP more entertaining.

I would much rather have a 2 player mode with infected than the team MP mode…is there any anticipation of PS4 sequel, where this might be a reality? If there is a PS4 sequel, can you please make a open world MP with Infected, fighting with and against others for resources to keep your camp alive….that would be totally RAD.

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on September 27th, 2013 at 8:24 pm said:

Random map layouts? Not something our tech allows really. It would make the maps very confusing as we design them to suit certain MP styles.

+ Connor2122 on September 27th, 2013 at 9:40 am said:

Another big question is will ever see the light on PlayStation 4 in near future? because if does OMG would be more absolutely amazing compare or this version right now :)

+ fighterragon on September 27th, 2013 at 8:27 pm said:

MJezewski meant a random map picker, as they do in Call of Duty. Instead of choosing between two maps, choose between those two or pick the random option for a random map.

And in my question, what I meant was when will the customization hats and masks actually roll out? Is tehre a set date, is it with the DLC, or just sometime in the future?

+ fighterragon on September 27th, 2013 at 8:29 pm said:

Well that, or what you said.
He also might have meant that cars spawn in random areas, fences are broken down sometimes, or not even there, but changed the next. That way they aren’t always the same exact maps and it’s spiced up a bit

+ RCF_TOD on September 27th, 2013 at 9:51 pm said:

Hey ND! Looking forward to the new map pack! :)

Just thought you should know though, I encountered a little bug when I was playing earlier. I’ve been playing the supply raid mode for a while and I decided to try out survivor and it was tons of fun (plus I’m trying to platinum. 5 more trophies!). The problem tho, was after that match, I went back to supply raid & all the supply boxes were invisible. They didn’t show up on radar and I physically could not see them, making it really difficult to fight back the opposing team. All other players seemed fine though. They had shivs, smoke bombs, etc. All I could pick up was ammo from the players I killed. Anyways, just thought you guys should know :)

+ MJezewski on September 27th, 2013 at 10:02 pm said:

To be more specific….just any kind randomization that could change the map dynamic strategy. People that play the same map over and over know exactly where everything is and where to rush to hold key points down.

That being said, you really could have the same map, but different buildings, and/or different arrangements….different obstacles and covers. Can be different times of day. You could still design them to meet certain play styles that your looking to obtain. I understand that random gen probably wouldn’t be able to create something that has a consistent fair mix, but you could make 7 different maps that are very similar (using the same textures) and have different layouts. Could call them the same thing, and the map selector would randomly select one of those 7.

Just an idea….but honestly….I’d rather have the PS4 sequel with 2 player mode and/or open world with infected. Any thoughts to the possibility of that in the future?

+ xxDFAxx on September 27th, 2013 at 10:44 pm said:

I know this is off topic, but are you guys going to be releasing any info on what you have planned for the PS4? TLoU was amazing and I can’t wait to see what’s being brought to the table for next-gen, especially since you guys had such a major part in the development for the console itself. But on the topic of TLoU, it was an epic game. I was getting tired of the Uncharted stuff and had almost thought ND lost it’s flare… but you definitely proved me wrong with TLoU, by far the greatest Action/Adventure game I have ever played. Everyone who worked on this game deserves so much respect on how amazing they did.

+ Gamerzlimited on September 27th, 2013 at 11:07 pm said:

Would you guys rather have an awful single player DLC? Then shut up and be patient. It’s not like they aren’t going do it like Sony Santa Monica with God of War: Ascension. Which is why I’m not buying their game and planning to buy The Last of Us instead (And I still don’t have it yet). I look forward to this.

And for 19.99, that’s pretty cheap for a Season Pass. I will buy that right away once I get my copy.

+ Wakeboarder56 on September 27th, 2013 at 10:05 pm said:

Any plans for a Savage Starlight map?

+ RainzFTW on September 27th, 2013 at 10:29 pm said:

Will there be any trailer for the DLC? To reveal the contents fully?

+ medenko1975 on September 27th, 2013 at 11:27 pm said:

+ Eric Monacelli on September 27th, 2013 at 7:36 am said:

As mentioned it’s a region by region discretionary decision. Our game was delivered as it was designed and we are very happy with the finished product in all regions.

Don’t twist words….If we, CUSTOMERS pay something, we DEMAND the real thing….

Sell CENSORED version to those pathetic lamers who decided WITHOUT our consent.

+ medenko1975 on September 27th, 2013 at 11:30 pm said:

Eric Monacelli on September 27th, 2013 at 8:14 pm said:

Again twist of words. The gameplay IS affected…

What’s next? TV, CARS etc for more reggions? US is PREMIUM COUNTRY, yes?

+ belmont_gr on September 27th, 2013 at 11:57 pm said:

You will not try to sell us some sort of real, true or extended ending as dlc ? Since you announced the season pass I was afraid for it since it was done by other developers and I already paid a reasonable amount of money for the game.

+ xBuTcHeRx on September 28th, 2013 at 12:08 am said:

I’m glad their is DLC finally coming out. Really disappointed it’s not the SP DLC. I really found the MP to be something like SOCOM just more “raw” and I don’t really game with other people so you really need a team to really enjoy this game. Uncharted 2 is still one of the BEST MP ever created. Now kudos to you guys a lot for this game! AMAZING! I really hope to see the SP DLC come next. I really hope you guys consider re-releasing this masterpiece onto the PS4. EVERYONE needs to play this game!!

+ SneakySneaky442 on September 28th, 2013 at 7:33 am said:

Hey guys, love the game, but just a question….when do the nightmare mask and pigskin hat come out? with the DLC or sometime soon? Thanks keep up the good work :D

+ sternone2 on September 28th, 2013 at 8:15 am said:

Thanks for the update. Can I please have just 1 more loadout point ? :-)

Also, when I’m in a mission it’s no fun to be started in a current game with 5 minutes left, impossible to complete it and therefor losing my clan.

I don’t mind been added to games when people have left, but please, code it when you’re in a mission that you start at the full 20 minutes.

+ Shinkius on September 28th, 2013 at 8:48 am said:

Please make a patch for the european multiplayer gore the game is not the same without it and me and other thinks like me, and buy a game 18+ no censored are welcome it’s fantasy we are not going to hurt anyone with a special wood :P Italian got censored the name of fireflyes :( and the gore too this is not fun

+ slyy___guy on September 28th, 2013 at 10:00 am said:

No I mean a playlist that features all the game modes but doesn’t allow classes with large firearms or purchasables.

+ Ryusennin on September 28th, 2013 at 10:29 am said:

You didn’t answer my question.

I am NOT interested in competitive MP, and I bought the season pass on the premise that some sort of co-op arena would be included in the deal (you know, being a survival game and all). Pretending that a horde mode is not “technically” possible to be implemented is incredibly lazy from Naughty Dog.

In that regard, your season pass is NOT a tremendous value to me, but I had to buy it blindly in order to know what it would eventually include. This is the worst form of DLC possible.

So, again: how do I get a refund?

+ fstopfive on September 28th, 2013 at 11:04 am said:

Hey Eric,

Are there plans to try and patch some of the gameplay bugs that are still out there? While this has only happened to me a couple of times, it is indescribably frustrating, and probably causes my neighbors to think there’s a domestic going on in my house when it does:

When playing Supply Raid (maybe Survivors or Interrogation, haven’t played either) when your game is about to start and the black screen that comes up right before hand just hangs and eventually you’re sent back to the lobby, with the system thinking you’ve quit the game and decimating your clan numbers. I was at 114 population last night and this happened, and it killed a bunch of my clan and left the rest with SARS and Bird Flu. I realize nothing in life is perfect, but if a host connection is lost is there a way for it not to affect our clan numbers?

Has this happened to any of you guys also?

+ DJAythens31 on September 28th, 2013 at 11:21 am said:

I am excited about having new maps!! Since I have officially become addicted to Multiplayer the first set of maps have grown stale! When do these 60 customization items get dropped? I am not understanding whether the wait is from now until Oct. 15th or from now until Dec/Jan. I have never really been anticipating any DLC for any game before so awesome work on giving the fans what they want!

+ mr-smithersjones on September 28th, 2013 at 12:41 pm said:

+ Eric Monacelli on September 27th, 2013 at 8:14 pm said:

If it is no big deal then why put the extra violence in the US game? Why not just leave it all out. The gameplay wouldn’t be affected or altered in any meaningful way… right?

+ DAVign13 on September 28th, 2013 at 1:38 pm said:

Fantastic! I had a feeling these dlcs were gonna be good, and i can tell that they will most definitely be great! amazing mulitplayer, a great improvement from uncharted 2 AND 3, not saying those games were terrible but they had their flaws, but no game is perfect, though they were pretty much as close as can get. This however, TLOU, is great! My only question is, when we purchase the season pass, do we receive the 60 extra head items? or it will it come out after the first dlc is launched? or until the final dlc is launched? that nightmare mask looks AHMAZING haha, puts the skull mask to shame in my opinion. :p

+ zeckcrew on September 28th, 2013 at 2:37 pm said:

Which dlc drop do u like better eric 1 or 2?

+ BlackHawkXI on September 28th, 2013 at 2:43 pm said:

Hey Eric, just wanna say thanks for all you and ND’s hard work on the Last of Us. I own every ND game since the first Crash Bandicoot so its great to support a developer that I’ve really enjoyed since day 1. For everyone on here that has been hating on the dlc and not enough single player and too much mp, guys, this is the best game of this generation, bar none, lets give these guys the respect they deserve and trust that they won’t give us a poor product, they never have.

+ ToFeY on September 28th, 2013 at 2:47 pm said:

i can’t wait for both story & multiplayer DLC’s <3 thank you naughty dog

+ mr-smithersjones on September 28th, 2013 at 4:49 pm said:

+ Eric Monacelli on September 27th, 2013 at 8:14 pm said:

“Regional differences were made for the game to be shipped in those regions. The gameplay isn’t affected or altered in any meaningful way.”

And while we’re on that subject why do we have 60 extra hats or whatever for DLC? That doesn’t affect gameplay either??

Hmmm, maybe it’s because it would enhance some peoples enjoyment of the game?

Funny that…

+ waldowalso on September 28th, 2013 at 6:02 pm said:

Glad I didn’t buy the season pass. I’m nly interested in the single player mode so it looks like nothing to do ’til next year. I’m already assuming it will be delayed a month or two at least, beyond January, so maybe Feb/March of next year I’ll try to remember to set aside 10-15 bucks for single player dlc. See you next year TLoU…

+ PrinceofXIII on September 28th, 2013 at 9:17 pm said:

+ jackwhitefoot on September 29th, 2013 at 7:20 am said:

Can you please not add microtransactions to the game this time? It kinda was one of the reasons I prefer Uncharted 2 multiplayer over Uncharted 3’s.

+ DRBhylian on September 29th, 2013 at 10:50 am said:

I’m excited for all new DLC for this game, the MP map pack, the SP new story, and the mysterious second MP content release. I keep seeing that it will most likely be unlikely to see Infected in the new MP content, but I would love to see some. If you guys could ‘try’ to add something like that, I would be more in love with this game. But seriously, I love this game to death. It’s my favorite game, still play it almost everyday even though I got the Platinum trophy and completely the story six times. But I’m excited, keep it up!

+ loo-isss on September 29th, 2013 at 2:21 pm said:

Aww, so no gender select? To be honest, I like being a female because they seem like they run faster to me. Hahaha.

+ loo-isss on September 29th, 2013 at 2:27 pm said:

If you guys plan on releasing new weapons then please, no automatic weapons. Semi auto is fine.

+ Zariyda on September 29th, 2013 at 5:02 pm said:

I’ve been waiting for the Last of Us since 2011, and now I’m back to this eager, feeling. The maps looks pretty awesome, I love the addition of moonlit environment, and as a future game designer (hopefuly) I really respect the team that makes all this stuff for the MP to read comments like “i don’t care about MP give me 2 SP DLC”. So yeah, keep up the awesome work. And I personally don’t mind to wait til late January if it means the SP DLC will be better.

Just one question though.
When will the bonus items be available?

+ Fulo_06PTY on September 29th, 2013 at 8:11 pm said:

AWESOME i was waiting for this i love MP and the story mode but still i dont have the season pass and i dont know if the season pass will make this DLC’s free like Black Ops 2 or something…… im not pretty sure about buying season pass but if you can help me answering my question PLEASE and maybe i will get season pass

but really thanks Naughty Dog for this coming DLC’s

i knew keeping ps3 was going to be a good call

+ Welmosca on September 30th, 2013 at 12:24 pm said:

@ 109 Connor2122 – OMG you’re crazy…I hope you dont think they’re in any way more talented than ND because rockstar dont even have any talent.Only devs out there just as good as ND is St.Monica.

+ theGr8tSaiyaman on October 1st, 2013 at 3:00 pm said:

3 questions: 1. Will there be any new weapons ? 2. Will you guys ever allow players to customize the attire of their character? 3. Will you guys fix the bugs, glitches, melee and bullet damage in the game?

+ theGr8tSaiyaman on October 1st, 2013 at 3:01 pm said:

2 questions: 1. Will you guys ever allow players to customize the attire of their character? 2. Will you guys fix the bugs, glitches, melee and bullet damage in the game?

+ EDawg24 on October 3rd, 2013 at 1:45 pm said:

Im just wondering if you guys have fixed the many bugs that need to be addressed in the multiplayer? Such as melee weapons doing the animation only to be stopped mid animation to allow the other person to use his. Or the Triangle button having 5 different abilities and often causing people to pick up a guy when trying to shiv or open a box instead of pick up etc. Really hope these minor details are not lost in the dlc.. The multiplayer gameplay is still awesome but these fixes would really allow the game to continue on for a long time. hope you are actively pursuing all these issues.

+ JoHnNyLuVsPaNdA on October 4th, 2013 at 3:15 am said:

This is the FIRST comment on any blog of any sort, that I have ever cared to leave! I would have to agree with, what seems like 80% of the people who’ve responded to this blog. We NEED more of the story driven SP action that we all fell in love with! I surely hope that this ONE SP DLC will be well worth the wait.
Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love the MP aspect of gaming. But when it comes to a game like The Last of Us, I wasn’t satisfied to hear I would only be getting ONE SP piece on the DLC end. I want….. NO NEED more story line my friends! Lastly on the MP side, It would be phenomenal if in the third and final DLC =,[ you geniuses at Naughty Dog would give us a co-op mode! Survival against the very enemy that makes The Last of Us what it is…… The damn ZOMBIES!!!!! LOL! Anyways THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT MADE THIS GAMING EXPERIENCE A POSSIBILITY!

+ Deadeye575 on October 10th, 2013 at 5:55 am said:

I am a little disappointed because of the no infected mode but on the other hand do all games need one? No. I am very pleased and stoked about the map packs and more helmets. Yet I’m still left with a question or a hope you could say could we expect there to be more craft able items in the future? For example bear traps they would take a team mate to help you out before you bleed out in sense downing the person unless they can get help. Trip wire bomb. The possibilities go on the hardest thing seems to be what can y’all put in the game for customization and items but at the same time staying with the since of what would some one really be able to find in a survival like environment but i feel that if you can craft a nail bomb why not find a bear trap especially in more off the wood land maps. Again you guys are doing great not being a critic just trying to find ways to make an amazing game even more great.

+ KUWALOINEDY on October 11th, 2013 at 4:33 am said:

I’m sorry Naughty Dog , but I felt disappointed because there is not infected .But I love you to the last thing you do makes me feel disappointed

+ Kratier on October 11th, 2013 at 9:51 pm said:

5 months later you are finally announcing what it is.

I wanted my refund 2 months ago and they refused to give it, because they claim “all sales are final” when I still haven’t received anything for what I paid 20$ over 5 months ago.

+ bloodbet_v on October 12th, 2013 at 2:56 pm said:

To everyone that is upset about buying the season pass and not getting exactly what you want (ie. 2SP and 1MP), most season passes are available for a few months after the game is released. This means that you can wait to purchase the season pass until you know what will be included with it. It is no ones fault but your own for purchasing something, that only stated would include extra content, not what that content was, and not liking what is given.

Sorry about the rant. Really enjoyed the SP and have just started the MP. Love both. Great game.

+ Kanyjr99 on October 13th, 2013 at 3:47 pm said:

I am very bummed to hear that there is little chance of infected being in multiplayer. But still, TLOU is my favorite game of all time. If there is a TLOU 2, maybe the infected can be in that? I love you guys. I swear I am going to work for you guys one day.

+ khbbsruler on October 14th, 2013 at 5:12 pm said:

What does the season pass do? I mean I got it today but what does it do? Will it give me the DLC for free or a discount?

+ shovel2010 on October 14th, 2013 at 1:22 pm said:

hi im waiting for the new maps to come out, thinking it will be tomorrow??? can i pay and download from the playstation store? also me and my partner have diffrent accounts/playstation networks, will we have to both pay for both accounts to have access. love the game btw !! :)

+ bowlingpro1997 on October 14th, 2013 at 11:07 pm said:

Today is the day! Waited for weeks to play the new maps and I can’t wait for the realese… Just a few hours more I supose :)

+ jesse-727 on October 15th, 2013 at 6:53 am said:

how late is the dlc going to come out in the netherlands or does every country have the same launch time

+ DaMostWanted786 on October 15th, 2013 at 12:50 pm said:

Hi Eric! Firstly thank you so much for being a part of such a phenomenal masterpiece! Downloading the Abandoned Territories Map Pack right now! :D I have the Season Pass and I am confused about the character items, are they available and if they are how do I obtain them?