PS4 - Destiny

PS3 System Software Update (v.4.50)

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Oct 01, 2013 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Later today, the next system software update for PlayStation 3 (version 4.50) will be available. We’ve added some features and improvements to make downloading system updates and Sony Entertainment Network online store purchases more convenient for all PSN users. In addition, we’ve made it easier to move games, movies and other content from your PS3 to PlayStation Vita with Wi-Fi data transfer.

Here are some of the new enhancements you’ll find when you update your PS3 to version 4.50:

• Auto download of system software updates has been expanded to support all PSN users.
  • Auto download support of purchases made on the Sony Entertainment Network online store will be made available to all PSN users.
  • New options for Trophy privacy settings allow users to set which trophies are visible.

With the auto download features for system updates and SEN online store purchases, you can set a two hour time interval for your PS3 to turn on from standby mode and check for updates as well as content to be automatically downloaded. Any purchases made in the SEN online store before your designated time will automatically start downloading during that interval. For example, if your Automatic Update time is set for 10AM-12PM, and you purchase a game while you’re away from your PS3 via the SEN online store (at work or school via PC or maybe on your daily commute via iOS or Android) at 9:30AM, the content you purchased will start downloading while you’re away. This adds convenience and will help you get into your games quicker, so you can start playing when you return home. You can find the new settings on the XMB under  [Settings] > [System Settings] > [Automatic Update].

For additional information on PS3 system update v.4.50, including how to update your system, please click here when the update goes live.

Let us know what you think about these new features in the comments below.

238 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 5

+ Gamerzlimited on October 1st, 2013 at 1:18 pm said:

Finally the option to hide trophies!

+ jchill001 on October 1st, 2013 at 1:18 pm said:

STUFF

+ MrBeens on October 1st, 2013 at 1:19 pm said:

Will the store still just randomly spin forever forcing a hard reset whenever I try to go a new page?

+ KentBlake on October 1st, 2013 at 1:20 pm said:

What I’d really like is the option to delete trophies. At least the games with 0%, because my list takes forever to sync, and it’s a mess with a lot of 0% games. If I hide the trophies from other people, they keep showing up for me…so it doesn’t help much.

+ PanTheMan16 on October 1st, 2013 at 1:20 pm said:

Excellent update! I’m particularly looking forward to being able to transfer data from my PS3 to my Vita over wi-fi.

+ pickupdoctor on October 1st, 2013 at 1:20 pm said:

Nice.

+ doutee on October 1st, 2013 at 1:20 pm said:

I’m happy with this update!

+ kidhero99 on October 1st, 2013 at 1:21 pm said:

wooooooooooooooooo Eric Lempel woooooooooooooooooooooooo

+ RE_Player on October 1st, 2013 at 1:22 pm said:

As a Plus member I’m glad all users get auto-updates now. A great feature.

+ Enigmatech on October 1st, 2013 at 1:22 pm said:

How about adding in the future an option like “show last eight acquired platinums” on your profile, I just don’t like the last 8 overall. #firstworldproblems

Millions don’t care but I bet hundreds or maybe thousands would like that.

+ KazeEternal on October 1st, 2013 at 1:22 pm said:

Hopefully this is to reflect PS4 policies.

+ Tre_Omega on October 1st, 2013 at 1:22 pm said:

And still no flash update for the browser? Come On man!!!

+ avanfreak23 on October 1st, 2013 at 1:23 pm said:

Why not delete and remove trophies once and for all? also would be good if you include a feature to organize purchased content from our accounts, download list is a mess

+ Gorvi on October 1st, 2013 at 1:23 pm said:

Will there be a Vita update along with this to allow the wireless data transfer to and from the PS3? Also, this part has me confused:

“or maybe on your daily commute via iOS or Android”

Is there some way now to access the PSN store via mobile? I haven’t seen an app and I can’t access the web store via the browser.

+ spoonTRex on October 1st, 2013 at 1:25 pm said:

Awesome update. Also, I hope that transferring between the PS3 & Vita goes both ways.

+ Binarynova on October 1st, 2013 at 1:26 pm said:

Assuming that means we can hide games that we have 0% of the trophies in, that’s good.

But we still can’t arrange games by title? :\

+ enricky559 on October 1st, 2013 at 1:26 pm said:

So pretty much the options that we Playstation subscribers already have with a little extra.

+ thebiglouie on October 1st, 2013 at 1:27 pm said:

Big things happen every time Eric posts here.

Wooo, finally wireless transfers for Vita PS3. I don’t have to switch around the Vita cable for charging and transfers anymore.

@Gorvi
The webstore can be browsed through some mobile browsers.

+ RyuPower on October 1st, 2013 at 1:29 pm said:

Will there be a vita FW update coming along with this(i think there might be to and ps3 wifi support to the vita) that will and the same type of thing to thing vita

+ dymlos2 on October 1st, 2013 at 1:30 pm said:

Eric,
Great Update! But we still need to be able to remove those 0% trophies. Come on good sir, the competition already let’s you do this. Also, better search functionality for stuff I’ve already purchased. Takes forever to scroll through the list of videos, demos, games purchased, etc.

+ UNCyrus on October 1st, 2013 at 1:30 pm said:

Hiding my Hannah Montana platinum, ASAP!

+ ridinlow01 on October 1st, 2013 at 1:30 pm said:

ommggzz i can hide my trpohies…?? ummm who cares lol this update is junk

+ I-Dusk-I on October 1st, 2013 at 1:31 pm said:

Good update. Now please let us sort our downloads :(

+ Naberios on October 1st, 2013 at 1:33 pm said:

How about you make it more convenient for users by allowing us to store our game data, like digital downloads, on a thumb stick or external drive so I don’t have to delete games I haven’t even started yet just to download something new? That would be awesome. Yes I know I can just re-download something, but transferring the data is almost always faster, I don’t have to scroll through a huge list just to find what I deleted so I can re-download it, and I don’t have to worry about the store or connection being down or that the content will always be available (despite lip service that anything I own will always be available, you simply can’t make that guarantee).

Thanks for listening.

+ Fusion13 on October 1st, 2013 at 1:34 pm said:

So from my understanding when I go to the SEN site and buy a game it will start downloading on my PS3 even if i’m not home? (Like the Google Play Store?)

If so, this is great news! I’ve been using the browser store much more and to be at work when the store updates and download and have a game ready when I get back would be awesome! I think of this every time i buy something.

The limit is the 2 hours though, i’d have to make sure to put the two hours when i’m not home but at a time when I still have time to make a purchase. Hmmm, dose it work during the 2 hours or dose it need to be before the set time?

+ TheJiggySaw on October 1st, 2013 at 1:34 pm said:

great, now lets hope this fixes Grand Theft Auto ONLINE

+ g051051 on October 1st, 2013 at 1:35 pm said:

Will it now allow us to sync multiple PS3s? I have two, and under the previous PS+ implementation, only one PS3 could be active for automatic downloads and cloud sync.

+ TheUndertaker85 on October 1st, 2013 at 1:36 pm said:

Looks good. Glad auto updates are expanding beyond Plus. Now, how about extending cloud storage to them also? Doesn’t have to match the Plus storage space but any would help for those without Plus.

Glad to see Vita finally get wireless support with PS3!

+ boomstickbhg on October 1st, 2013 at 1:36 pm said:

Hiding trophies (all those 0′s from games you rent/try and don’t like) as well as making the store work better are two things the PS3 has needed… well pretty much forever. (the store has been more broken than not since it was ‘upgraded’).

For once an Update that adds things I want to the ps3, even if it’s really really late coming and still doesn’t include sorting our download list.

Thanks.

+ Guimace on October 1st, 2013 at 1:38 pm said:

Oh so now I can hide my Hannah Montana Platinum? *laughs*

jk, I’m proud of it! :D

+ enes_010 on October 1st, 2013 at 1:38 pm said:

DOE IETS AAN HET VASTLOPEN VAN DE PS3

+ rabidninjamonky on October 1st, 2013 at 1:38 pm said:

Since you are making it easier to transfer data from PS3 to Vita, can you make FFV vita compatible for us please?

+ animuson on October 1st, 2013 at 1:39 pm said:

How exactly will hiding trophies work? Will it only hide the game from the list, or will hiding a game also remove the counts from my overall trophy counts and points, etc? Will it display some kind of indicator of how many games/trophies I’ve hidden from people or will it just disappear?

+ Mando44646 on October 1st, 2013 at 1:40 pm said:

when will you fix the Vita store? and when can we expect PSN to update at a decent time on Tuesdays (preferably midnight like Steam and XBL)?

+ Guimace on October 1st, 2013 at 1:40 pm said:

BTW Sony, I’d like to have the ability to sort my download list, either on PS3, PS Vita or webstore. Thanks.

+ Guimace on October 1st, 2013 at 1:41 pm said:

@33 I *guess* it will work exactly like it works on the PS Vita now, where hiding trophies is already possible: the trophies are still added to your total and are never deleted, except no one can see them on your profile, Sony trophy site or other third-party trophy leaderboards.

+ thebiglouie on October 1st, 2013 at 1:43 pm said:

@animuson
If it works like how hiding trophies work on the Vita, it will only hide the trophies from being viewed by others. Nothing is deleted from your system and the hidden trophies won’t disappear from your system. It will not affect the trophy count on the PSN profile, though I don’t know if this will affect the count of the 3rd party trophy trackers.

+ Kazriko on October 1st, 2013 at 1:45 pm said:

Transferring data between the PS3 and Vita wirelessly is an excellent feature, and one that I utilize on the PC all the time. Thanks for adding that in!

+ VanguardFate on October 1st, 2013 at 1:47 pm said:

Expected an update like that before PS4 released.

+ naruto9876__ on October 1st, 2013 at 1:48 pm said:

can’t wait for this update i love it that now when you go on the internet PSN store your PS3 will start up before the Automatic Update

+ IrishDude2 on October 1st, 2013 at 1:49 pm said:

@Guimace
That’s funny! *laughs* you made a good joke. That’s good your proud of it. You should be!! There is nothing wrong with it one bit. Just like there is nothing wrong with kissing a cow or frog either. Keep that chin up high and always be proud with it!

+ RR99i on October 1st, 2013 at 1:51 pm said:

Very happy with this PS3 system software update, great for Vita owners like me and the other features are great additions! Thanks Sony! :)

+ psycatrize on October 1st, 2013 at 1:54 pm said:

Does the auto download for SEN purchases download recent ones or ones I deleted to make space too?

+ Twitch_City on October 1st, 2013 at 1:55 pm said:

Great update!!!!

+ Psycho_Eddie on October 1st, 2013 at 1:59 pm said:

I have a fat60 original ps3. In days of yore, I could have all four usb ports connected to controllers for play or charging without getting the annoying message that says I’ve reached the limit on usb power output. A while ago, one of the updates limited usb output, probably when the new two port ps3′s came out. Could you unpatch that? There’s still three of us that have the older system. thank you.

+ unostar on October 1st, 2013 at 2:00 pm said:

This is a long-awaited and very useful update, imo. I like it. Thank you, Sony!

+ CJ_vzla on October 1st, 2013 at 2:00 pm said:

if eric lempel has been the person who decides what features come with the updates, i can´t believe he has kept his job over the las 7 years..i mean, every single time an update is introduced, a quick glance in the coments and you can tell everyone has great ideas and needs that make sense!

its not like we are asking for stuff that would be impossible because of memory issues (cross game chat, music playback while playing a game, warhawk is the only one that i know of that can do the latter), just features that make sense and would truly make our lives easier! anyway at least we can count on eric to keep ruining the PS4´s UI for years to come…

sorry for crappy english, im from south america.

+ GGCAN on October 1st, 2013 at 2:01 pm said:

Thanks for the heads up Eric.

Was waiting for wirelessly transmitting from PS3 to the Vita.

Keep up the great work !

+ gamevader28 on October 1st, 2013 at 2:02 pm said:

this update better fix the PS3 game discs not playing problem from the last few months (game wants to eject, console won’t play PS3 discs, but audio CDs and DVD movies play fine)

+ MyTrinecK on October 1st, 2013 at 2:10 pm said:

I hope you guys can add the features of remarking my PSN friends’ name as soon as possible, because sometimes my friend like change their avatars and their user names are not easy to remember. Thanks

PAGE 1 2 3 5