Far Cry 4

PS3 System Software Update (v.4.50)

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Oct 01, 2013 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Later today, the next system software update for PlayStation 3 (version 4.50) will be available. We’ve added some features and improvements to make downloading system updates and Sony Entertainment Network online store purchases more convenient for all PSN users. In addition, we’ve made it easier to move games, movies and other content from your PS3 to PlayStation Vita with Wi-Fi data transfer.

Here are some of the new enhancements you’ll find when you update your PS3 to version 4.50:

• Auto download of system software updates has been expanded to support all PSN users.
  • Auto download support of purchases made on the Sony Entertainment Network online store will be made available to all PSN users.
  • New options for Trophy privacy settings allow users to set which trophies are visible.

With the auto download features for system updates and SEN online store purchases, you can set a two hour time interval for your PS3 to turn on from standby mode and check for updates as well as content to be automatically downloaded. Any purchases made in the SEN online store before your designated time will automatically start downloading during that interval. For example, if your Automatic Update time is set for 10AM-12PM, and you purchase a game while you’re away from your PS3 via the SEN online store (at work or school via PC or maybe on your daily commute via iOS or Android) at 9:30AM, the content you purchased will start downloading while you’re away. This adds convenience and will help you get into your games quicker, so you can start playing when you return home. You can find the new settings on the XMB under  [Settings] > [System Settings] > [Automatic Update].

For additional information on PS3 system update v.4.50, including how to update your system, please click here when the update goes live.

Let us know what you think about these new features in the comments below.

238 Comments

PAGE 1 3 4 5

+ TonyTough on October 3rd, 2013 at 7:45 am said:

To all that are wondering about the PS3 to VITA Wifi Transfer….

It will be available when vita is updated.
PSN : TonyTough

+ dh4645 on October 3rd, 2013 at 9:07 am said:

seem to be a lot of issues. wonder if it’s a coincidence (like The Last of Us killing my phat ps3 on launch day due to the autosave glitch before it was fixed)

or if there is something wrong with the update.

luckily my PS3 has been off since i downloaded the free ps+ game & the beyond and bf4 demos on tuesday night.

+ bigpurp70 on October 3rd, 2013 at 9:38 am said:

Sony, can u please comment and/or address the problems many people are having with this latest update bricking the “fat” PS3?? This is VERY disturbing.

I have a slim and fat PS3, both with upgraded HDDs. I updated the slim this morning, with no problems. However, there is now NO WAY I will update the fatty before someone at Sony addresses these issues. I mean, u would think after the fiasco with 4.46, this would not happen again??

For those whose PS3s got bricked by 4.50, do u have upgraded HDDs? I’m curious if it’s the same problem as last time…

+ aliasmopa on October 3rd, 2013 at 9:43 am said:

it freeze on 99% :s… shizz… i have like 2 days without playing cuz dat… how do i fix it?

+ Welmosca on October 3rd, 2013 at 9:55 am said:

Thank God this time everything worked out just fine….4.45 was the only update that ever bricked my PS3…hope this never happens again.So you guys changed too when we send a message from the Vita…now it wont say “sent from my PSVita using message group”…and why in the heck did you guys changed it to “PSN” what a failure….this update is useless.

+ Shedagilos on October 3rd, 2013 at 12:30 pm said:

For those of you having issues with update 4.50, I just talked with a Sony rep name Nick who says there is nothing wrong with the update!! He says Sony will handle issues on a case by case basis. At this time, there is no patch planned or eminent. fb332 asked Is the issue only with launch or fat PS3’s with updated hhd’s? Or has the update affected all models.

+ Darth_Chaos09 on October 3rd, 2013 at 1:10 pm said:

Thank you TonyTough for the link. At least Europe posted an update to their blogpost instead of sneakily editing the original post to erase ever having mentioned “PS3 to Vita Wi-fi compatibility.”

+ Saadat255 on October 3rd, 2013 at 1:27 pm said:

Cannot receive or send invites on ‘Call Of Duty: World At War’, please fix this.

+ OCT-BROS49 on October 3rd, 2013 at 1:28 pm said:

I just put in gta v and it started uploading ( was bricked) then i quit gta went to sign in and it logged me in now its working fine

+ iSupply on October 3rd, 2013 at 3:31 pm said:

I got a message on my PS shortly after updating. I said: Invite 20 people and get $60…. (something something)
The message quickly dissapered, so i didn’t get a chance to read it through.
Anyone else got that same message, and do anyone know exactly what it said og how to invite?!
Assuming that you’ll have to do more than just add 20 friends and get $60 on your account.

PSN, iSupply

+ I_Keeps_It_100 on October 3rd, 2013 at 5:52 pm said:

If possible we should have an offline record of our trophies that you can manage offline and then what you want saved should be synced online then people would be content but what they got now is retarded why would anyone want to hide their achievements?

We can delete game data so I don’t see why trophy info should be different. Why should we have to wait for every game we put in that is at 0% or whatever like a game you have no intentions in trying to complete sit in there taking up sync time loading wasting time and bandwidth?

+ I_Keeps_It_100 on October 3rd, 2013 at 6:01 pm said:

If possible to avoid accidentally deleting trophy info put like a protect feature that you can back up. Oh i forgot cause people will be able to manipulate the trophies some how right? Oh boy i forgot the trophies was different then they updated to avoid that but something has to be done about that.

+ I_Keeps_It_100 on October 3rd, 2013 at 6:06 pm said:

That’s right I remember now trophies used to be in the same column as the game but people was hacking it so they moved it well there should be a feature to manage it where people can’t hack it so we can get rid of them dumb games we don’t want to watch load.

+ eli11296 on October 3rd, 2013 at 6:24 pm said:

please help Sony, i’m sure you have been told this already but i wanted to put it out.. I updated my 40 gb fat ps3, and it wont start up anymore. all i get is a black screen. I HAVE TRIED ALL FEATURES IN SMART MODE,EXCEPT SYSTEM UPDATE, BUT NOTHING HAS WORKED THE SLIGHTEST. please release a fix for us, i know im not the only that has had this happen because of the update, i need this fixed so i can know whether or not to try and replace it.

+ SpiceBoyWonder on October 3rd, 2013 at 7:30 pm said:

This update crashed my system…again. Thank you Sony for costing me $130 again.

+ b1tters on October 3rd, 2013 at 9:19 pm said:

I’d like the ability to organize or even search my downloads list. It just seems so inefficient. Also, is there anyway for you guys add adjustable levels of trophy awareness? I don’t care about them at all TBH. I know I can turn off notifications but ugh…

+ youngster162831 on October 3rd, 2013 at 10:06 pm said:

Download locked at 99% AGAIN!! Called Sony, only way to fix it is reformat the HD (many many hours later). Lost everything to another poor quality release from Sony. Come on Sony have you not learned the lesson???

+ xXnesian-AROHA on October 4th, 2013 at 4:01 am said:

this update stuff up my ps3 its stuck at 99% help i try the usb version and still stop at 99%

+ BigDrawz91 on October 4th, 2013 at 5:50 am said:

Same here stuck at 99% WTF! This is completely wrong then Sony wants me to pay for repairs that I didn’t cause? WTF!!! On top of that I still haven’t finished GTA V yep I’m VERY UPSET!

+ bigpurp70 on October 4th, 2013 at 6:45 am said:

@ 213 (eli):

Do u have an upgraded HDD in ur fat PS3? Or are u still on the original 40 GB drive? I’m wondering if this latest update is causing problems with ALL fat PS3s, not just those with upgraded HDDs.

Sony, are u listening?? We need ur help!!

+ andrexflipe on October 4th, 2013 at 12:00 pm said:

when willl be laystation network in colombia, dude please I need that

+ SpiceBoyWonder on October 4th, 2013 at 3:36 pm said:

@youngster162831 have you had any luck yet with even formatting?

+ AyameMusashi on October 4th, 2013 at 4:04 pm said:

Yea I have the same freezing problem others are seeing. I have been playing games fine until the update. I have been playing GTA V with no trouble, then I downloaded the update, and then downloaded GTA V’s update. both on Oct 2nd. So GTA V started freezing on me, causing me to hard reboot the PS3. I thought it was GTA V for quite a while. I tried playing 8 times with each time freezing after about 10 minutes. then I got fed up and started playing other games. guess what… same thing. Battlefield 3, GTA V, Call of Duty. All of them freeze and cause me to have to hard reboot. then sit through the system corruption check. How do I get rid of this crappy update? Do I need to format my PS3 and reinstall everything to fix this? somehow I doubt it will help, if I am just reinstalling the same flawed update.

+ Reyna_Voop on October 4th, 2013 at 4:30 pm said:

Just had the required PS3 update and now nothing hosted through VEVO will play on YouTube after the mandatory commercials. The service freezes immediately after the commercial plays. Getting sick of the Britney fragrance and Runner Runner adverts, then freeze.

Anything non-VEVO will still play.

+ Irishmagic66 on October 4th, 2013 at 5:54 pm said:

uhh not really liking this update i just installed it and now when i try to use the youtube app no matter what i search for whenever i play something i get the vevo ad popup first then nothing it stops at the end of the vevo ad and doesnt play what i search, so i try to watch something else and the vevp ad pops up again and same **** … yay now my youtube app is useless :(

+ MamaHoneyBadger on October 4th, 2013 at 6:28 pm said:

Ok, so we updated our FATTY PS3, running the 60GB hard drive it came with, and v4.50 has F***ED playback of ALL previously working MKVs.

+ MamaHoneyBadger on October 4th, 2013 at 7:09 pm said:

Correction, all “Non-Windows” streams are completely unsupported, so even though this worked perfectly, and any MP4 could play on any device, and now only the PS3 hates life, SONY isn’t going to lift a finger. For a company with such a hard line stance against DRM, and trying to crush Microsoft in their field, they sure do sleep in the same bed with them.

+ MamaHoneyBadger on October 4th, 2013 at 7:10 pm said:

Talked themselves out of a PS4 sale in 20 minutes flat. Congrats, SONY.

+ Demonfury210_ on October 4th, 2013 at 9:14 pm said:

It just bricked my ps3… WHY!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Agent-Isis on October 5th, 2013 at 4:31 am said:

@ #178 Assasins_Sake: I have the exact same problem, your assumption on Activision’s nonrecognition of the PSN could be correct. Every other game works fine and the entire update’s features work too. Although I seriously wish these sort of updates were optional because I honestly don’t care about any of these features one bit. Same goes for the majority of the updates we’ve had. I’ve never cared about the trophies at all either; I see someone with a load of them and all it says to me is that they need to get out more :p nothing impressive about them IMO. Well, I wouldn’t hold my breath on this one, with activision all but abandoning previous CoD’s and with Sony’s reputation for update issues and slowly fixing them, my guess is you and I will not be playing good ol’ mw1 online for at least a week or two. I’m being generous I think. Until then I’ll be sticking to WipeoutHD. Add me if you wanna hook up on cod when it’s up and running again; my k/d ratio is 3.64 over 11k kills to 3.3k deaths :-)

+ Adamkool7799 on October 5th, 2013 at 5:53 am said:

When I try downloading the update, It gets to 3 percent and then it sais something with server error. What do I do?
Now I can’ t use any online features! help me!

+ PrinceofXIII on October 5th, 2013 at 9:37 am said:

+ Agent-Isis on October 5th, 2013 at 9:49 am said:

UPDATE for post 178 and others experiencing issues with cod4 after this update; looks like activision were far quicker at fixing this problem than I gave them credit for, just tried again and it’s up and running again! I retract what I said about it going to take a while for them to bother fixing it ^_~ if it helps anyone, I’m using the 160gig slim model. other models may still not work but it looks like they’re actively working on it!

+ voodoovaj on October 8th, 2013 at 8:44 am said:

Anyone else having trouble connecting to their media server now? I updated to 4.50 and now I cannot connect to my media server. It has to be 4.5 because it worked fine just before the update and nothing else changed.

+ ikemen996 on October 13th, 2013 at 8:44 am said:

stuck at 99% anyone got a clue what should i do with it? thank you

+ LUCAS_JEDI_BR on October 15th, 2013 at 12:05 pm said:

BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGENS LISTA DE TROFEUS http://br-playstation.blogspot.com.br/2013/10/batman-arkham-origens-lista-de-trofeus.html

+ EXQUISITEEMPRESS on October 17th, 2013 at 2:56 pm said:

It would have nice if you had also included the option to delete trophies for games you only tried once (e.g. demo trophies.)

+ ColeNXS on October 28th, 2013 at 11:22 am said:

Fat PS3 with upgraded hdd. Bricked this morning by update. Somehow I hadn’t heard that this was happening or I never would have done it. What I gather from this thread is that they have yet to even say anything about it? If I cant get this **** fixed I’m gonna be really pissed. Make this right Sony.

PAGE 1 3 4 5