PS4 - Transistor

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero coming to PS3, PS4, Vita in 2014

Matt Bozon's Avatar + Posted by Matt Bozon on Oct 02, 2013 // Creative Director, WayForward

Shantae

Next year, WayForward is bringing the highly animated action adventure series Shantae to PS3, PS4, and PS Vita in the form of a brand new game: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero!

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero on PS3, PS4 and PS Vita

Since there’s a good chance you’re hearing about Shantae for the first time, here’s a bit of background. Shantae is the name of the half-genie main character who carves through enemies with her destructive ponytail, and belly dances to transform into mythological creatures, animals, swords… and well, pretty much anything. There aren’t many games that include the art of sensual dance as a main game mechanic, but Shantae pulls it off nicely.

The gameplay is best compared to Super Metroid or Castlevania Symphony of the Night, but with the visual styling of WayForward’s own Ducktales: Remastered. WayForward puts its traditional feature film style animation in the front row along side rock solid gameplay, which has its roots firmly planted in the 8 and 16 bit era of classic gaming. WayForward’s engine moves the game along at a 60 frames per second in full HD.

Risky

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero on PS3, PS4 and PS Vita

The game is described as a “fresh start” for the series, making it an ideal entry point for new players. Half-Genie Hero is humorous, flirtatious, and like many WayForward games takes an off-the wall approach to boss and character design. The series is sometimes self-referential, and features a dominantly female cast of friends, foes, and monsters… with a few guys, puppies, and cyclopses thrown in for good measure. Platforming, exploration, customization, puzzles and item usage form the backbone of every Shantae game.

Shantae Half-Genie Hero is being developed by WayForward, with compositions by Jake (Virt) Kaufman and additional artwork by Mega Man developer Inti Creates — plus animation talent best known for Skullgirls! The game was in pre-production for over a year, and was recently crowd funded on Kickstarter, and is now making its way to full production for an expected October 2014 release. With one day left in Shantae’s Kickstarter campaign, there are still Stretch Goals to be met, so consider stopping by to see the game in action.

PAGE 1 2

+ RE_Player on October 2nd, 2013 at 11:06 am said:

Planning to pledge to the Kickstarter in the final hours. So glad you are making a Vita version.

Matt Bozon's Avatar

+ Matt Bozon on October 2nd, 2013 at 12:26 pm said:

Yep, we’re really into Vita TV too. That looks to be a pretty rad device. I’m always in the market for another way to play me some Symphony of the Night! Aaaaaaaand, I suppose there are always new games too. Ha ha.

+ Jesszman on October 2nd, 2013 at 11:06 am said:

Great to see the post on the PS Blog! Hopefully we can reach funding to get the rest of the costumes.

Matt Bozon's Avatar

+ Matt Bozon on October 2nd, 2013 at 12:27 pm said:

Yes, we’re off to a rip-roaring start today. 40 something hours left!

Matt Bozon's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on October 2nd, 2013 at 11:08 am said:

Shantae! :D

+ EddyC__ on October 2nd, 2013 at 11:09 am said:

While I am unable to fund this project due a limited budget. I have however been following since the beginning of the Kickstarter and excited that this has been funded and coming out. Can’t wait to play it once it is finally out.

Matt Bozon's Avatar

+ Matt Bozon on October 2nd, 2013 at 12:27 pm said:

Hey, it’s going to be there for you either way :) Thanks for letting people know about it!

+ Ouren on October 2nd, 2013 at 11:11 am said:

Yaay!

+ Elvick_ on October 2nd, 2013 at 11:15 am said:

Glad that you guys were able to put it on PS Vita too. I’ve been pretty bummed that most of your other recent multiplatform games aren’t on PS Vita. ):

Already backed.

Matt Bozon's Avatar

+ Matt Bozon on October 2nd, 2013 at 12:28 pm said:

Right. Most of our work is owned by publishers who make those calls. I’d love to have Double Dragon Neon on Vita.

+ CanadianFuzzy on October 2nd, 2013 at 11:21 am said:

I’ve already backed the KS. I’m looking forward to Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse on the 3DS also.

+ nikrel on October 2nd, 2013 at 11:21 am said:

I’ll pick this up when it releases! Can’t wait to play it, saw it on kickstarter but waiting till finished product.

PSVita version.

+ tusunami on October 2nd, 2013 at 11:34 am said:

This appears as though this will be a unique take on the adventure platforming games. I’ll keep a eye out for this 1. PS 4 day 1 I’m out

+ ZeroSection on October 2nd, 2013 at 11:37 am said:

Pledged on Kickstarter. The different powers remind of something akin to Kirbys dreamland for the snes. I can tell this is gonna be awesome.

Matt Bozon's Avatar

+ Matt Bozon on October 2nd, 2013 at 12:29 pm said:

Yep. The transformations become your toolbox for getting around the world.

+ SegaSaturn617 on October 2nd, 2013 at 11:59 am said:

Pledged this, Mighty 9 which is great that it reached its PS4 and even Vita goals, and don’t forget Hyper Light Drifter. Another awesome game on Kickstarter. Check it out and pledge if you like. You guys here who run the blogs, you def. got to mention Hyper Light Drifter please!!!!

+ Casey4147 on October 2nd, 2013 at 12:06 pm said:

Backed it. Never heard of it but looks like a fun game. Definitely worth my $15…

+ DeepEyes7 on October 2nd, 2013 at 12:11 pm said:

Backed it days ago.

Matt Bozon's Avatar

+ Matt Bozon on October 2nd, 2013 at 12:23 pm said:

Hyper Light Drifter looks really cool. We’re cross promoting with those guys.. adding our main villain Risky Boots to both of our games :)

Matt Bozon's Avatar

+ Matt Bozon on October 2nd, 2013 at 12:24 pm said:

+ xClayMeow on October 2nd, 2013 at 12:27 pm said:

Wait, a platformer actually coming to Vita?! Finally a smart developer!

Matt Bozon's Avatar

+ Matt Bozon on October 2nd, 2013 at 6:09 pm said:

Ha ha ha… Vita has the best control pad in town these days. Should be a perfect match.

+ Artemisthemp on October 2nd, 2013 at 12:37 pm said:

I have already pledge $60 for the Tinkerbat transformation :)

+ akisuo on October 2nd, 2013 at 12:48 pm said:

Was really glad to see this coming to PS3, PS4, and most important, Vita! =) Always had an interest in these games, but never really got to play them till it came to the iphone. Is there a chance we can at least see Shantae Risky’s Revenge on PS3, PS4, and Vita or is it lockdown?

+ Squiggle55 on October 2nd, 2013 at 12:53 pm said:

I would really love to reach the animated cutscenes stretch goal. That would be so awesome. But I’ll settle for as many bonus chapters as I can get.

+ Styx_the_Monk on October 2nd, 2013 at 12:59 pm said:

I’ll buy Vita version when it releases. We need more Vita love!

+ Pharsti- on October 2nd, 2013 at 1:18 pm said:

Backed you guys as soon as I found out about the Kickstarter! Hopefully this gets you a lot of exposure!

Everyone, if you haven’t backed, go do it! The more money they raise now, the bigger the game will be when it’s released!

+ plaztiksyke on October 2nd, 2013 at 1:33 pm said:

Thanks for fixing her skin tone, but do all the female characters need push up bras? Isn’t the mid-riff being exposed sexualizing enough?

Looking forward to playing in co-op at 1080p with HD audio!

+ plaztiksyke on October 2nd, 2013 at 1:40 pm said:

Also, curious about how you’re taking advantage of the extra freedom that crowd funding gives versus the traditional publisher route. A prominent female lead who isn’t white is a good start, of course. What about LGBT characters from Hindu mythology? There’s a great Wikipedia article with some neat ideas: LGBT_themes_in_Hindu_mythology

+ Stranger_Eddie on October 2nd, 2013 at 2:12 pm said:

Beautiful art presented in this game preview! Remembering classic Sega Genesis Walt Disney games, like Aladdin! Very good Job!

I have a lot of interest!

+ DarkOne_PR on October 2nd, 2013 at 2:23 pm said:

Kool that u are bringing it to the vita! :) thanks

+ saveur on October 2nd, 2013 at 2:30 pm said:

Put in my support for this on day one, huuuuuge Shantae fan. Bought Risky’s Revenge on my DSi, DSiXL, 3DS, 3DSXL, iPhone/iPad (both versions), and will get it again whenever it arrives on Steam, and I cannot wait for Pirate’s Curse to arrive later this year!! You don’t know how bad it’s killing me that I don’t have the funds to support you guys for the $200 tier, the rewards at that level are like a fan dream come true. I’m only in at $60 right now, and if it wasn’t for rent, you all would have whatever funds I had available.

Congrats on the Kickstarter success so far, and best of luck on the remaining couple days. I’m personally hoping we’ll get up to the Hero Modes (although it’s looking unlikely) as I’d love to play as Rottytops, Sky, and Bolo. The additional chapters all sound like so much fun as well, and the costumes are damn adorable. I want them all, you made the stretch goals too good :D

+ saveur on October 2nd, 2013 at 2:32 pm said:

*Also quick addendum to the above, THANK YOU for getting the original GBC Shantae on the 3DS Virtual Console.

Matt Bozon's Avatar

+ Matt Bozon on October 2nd, 2013 at 6:11 pm said:

You bet!

+ gokugt25 on October 2nd, 2013 at 3:03 pm said:

This and Mighty No.9 are going to be day 1 purchases for me!

+ dkarlowicz10 on October 2nd, 2013 at 3:15 pm said:

Thank you for releasing this on Vita. It will be a purchase for me. Vita is a great system. I own Double Dragon Neon for PS3, but I would also buy Double Dragon Neon for the Vita. Game like that is meant to be played on the Vita. Thank you again.

+ jawara on October 2nd, 2013 at 3:33 pm said:

Already bought! Please bring Double Dragon Neon to PS VITA. Plz!

Matt Bozon's Avatar

+ Matt Bozon on October 2nd, 2013 at 6:13 pm said:

DD Neon would be totally up to Majesco Entertainment. I’m sure they’d love to hear that their game is being requested! Hit them up at their site any time :)

+ X_O-Big_Boss on October 2nd, 2013 at 3:37 pm said:

Already put in enough to be in the “groovy Shantae T-Shirt” tier.My hype for the game is at godly levels,and its great to see Shantae appearing on other consoles :D

+ KingFireballxD on October 2nd, 2013 at 3:58 pm said:

I wanna know her voice looks like! She’s just too cute!

+ KidCommando on October 2nd, 2013 at 4:05 pm said:

Shantae, you stay.

+ Zezzler on October 2nd, 2013 at 4:28 pm said:

This game looks great! I’m a big fan of WayForward, and really loved games like Mighty Flip Champs, Double Dragon and Adventure Time, so I’m extremely looking forward to this (especially on Vita)!

I know it’s a lot to ask, but I’d love to see lots of other great WayForward games (old and new) make their way to Vita!

+ djsaiyan on October 2nd, 2013 at 5:32 pm said:

Backed this one a while ago. Bumped my pledge up from the $12 early bird to the $60 tier just after Mighty No. 9 finished.

By the by, any chance of getting the Beck costume from that bit of fan art from update 17 into the game? That was AWESOME.

+ bmrskate on October 2nd, 2013 at 5:38 pm said:

Finally! Been wanting to play Shantae for years.

“Half-Genie Hero is kind of to Castlevania as Parodius is to Gradius. That probably makes no sense.”

Makes perfect sense to me! You’re just pandering to me right now. Love the Konami analogy.

+ SPC-AR on October 2nd, 2013 at 5:40 pm said:

Glad to see this on the Playstation Blog. I guess since Sony got Mighty No. 9 on it, it’s only fair that they get Shantae: Half-Genie Hero on it as well.

Try to see if you can get Capcom to allow WayForward to make a PS Vita port of DuckTales: Remastered. I’m sure a lot of people would appreciate it.

+ ioanina on October 2nd, 2013 at 5:46 pm said:

Matt Bozon, Shantae’s adventure looks like to be her best yet, even with the ongoing pledges rising up every moment. Hope I get to see her future adventures that have more than 3 Chapters, because, honestly, 3 Chapters in Shantae’s adventures is too short.

Also, DuckTales: Remastered was one of the best games I’ve seen yet! I liked how it turned out, although, the final boss could have taken more hits than 7 to take down, because that hit amount number is a bit anticlimactic to me, and some bosses could have taken more than 5 hits to defeat. Other than that, I was happy that few took more than 5 hits to defeat and more health increases.

Hope you listen to this, because I wish for Scrooge McDuck’s sequel gets the same treatment really soon, but with more health increases than up to 8, all bosses taking more hits to defeat, and a new more climactic endgame level with a new final boss that’ll take much more hits to defeat. I would like to see Glomgold come up with a greater challenge for Scrooge than the sequel’s original version, not that I’ve played it or anything ’cause I didn’t get the chance.

+ Airwalkinman17 on October 2nd, 2013 at 6:28 pm said:

You had me interested at the belly dancing, but I was SOLD when mention was made of Castlevania Symphony of the Night. EASILY, one of my all time faves, and I loved how Guacamelee implemented the same style of exploration based side scroller. Consider another copy of Shantae sold to a happy VITA/PS4/PS3 owner :D

+ Ry-Dog on October 2nd, 2013 at 6:58 pm said:

even though the game comes out in October 2014, will you be able to add some of the extra stuff like the costumes and playable charcters which are part of the kickstarter goals after the kickstarter ends. because I really want to play as Shantae in those costumes and play as Rollytops and those two other charcters.

+ PrimeroIncognito on October 2nd, 2013 at 7:12 pm said:

@ plaztiksyck

Please, stop pushing your agenda here.

+ Jerel on October 2nd, 2013 at 9:27 pm said:

I’m so happy that this is coming to the Playstation 4! I was always a little bummed that Shantae was a handheld game.

+ Sevyne on October 2nd, 2013 at 11:23 pm said:

Anybody and everybody even considering this game in the slightest should support this now on Kickstarter rather than later after it’s released. Supporting it now not only helps get you more content for it, but you also get 3 backer exclusives for pledging enough to get a digital copy. Buying it later, you won’t get those exclusives and run the risk of not reaching stretch goals for additional chapters. Support it now for more game!

+ KnifingGrimace on October 3rd, 2013 at 12:16 am said:

I always wanted to try out the GBC Shantae, but never got the chance. Then, I pre-ordered DuckTales: Remastered and absolutely loved it. Right before I checked PSBlog tonight, I had just donated to the Kickstarter campaign. I was definitely surprised to see the game I had just donated to now appear on the Blog.

You guys are great, and I can’t wait for this. Thanks for helping to keep classic gaming alive.

+ AizawaYuuichi on October 3rd, 2013 at 1:06 am said:

I just fired off a question to the Kickstarter page, and as soon as I get an answer back, consider this project backed by me. I’ve heard some amazing things about the Shantae games but have never had the pleasure of playing one. Now I have the chance to play it in glorious 1080p on my PS4? Yes, please!

You guys have made several games I’ve enjoyed over the years. Keep up the amazing work!

+ RewVitalize on October 3rd, 2013 at 6:07 am said:

I played the second Shantae a bit and it was pretty fun, so I am interested in this. Glad to see the series getting more exposure!

+ Welmosca on October 3rd, 2013 at 10:35 am said:

Hey I think I saw this game before…I just dont know if it was here on the blog or in another place but anyway..it looks really good…thank you for bringing this to the Vita…I hardly buy something without a demo but this looks just like my type of game….looks really fun.Any word if it’ll be cross-buy between PS3 and Vita?..I want this on Vita but on PS3 would be great too…..ah and dont even bother to make a PS4 vesion.

+ JLP_M on October 3rd, 2013 at 10:50 am said:

I’m planning to pledge soon, finally have some money left over too but I have a question. If I pledge through paypal, will I get the backer bonuses? Backer exclusive costumes and such.

+ xenosaga200 on October 3rd, 2013 at 2:24 pm said:

i also buy the ps vita version

+ JohnnyCal25 on October 3rd, 2013 at 2:34 pm said:

Mr. Bozon I have the deepest respect with Wayforward… You guys rock for bringing soooo many solid 2d platformers over the years!!! Glad to see your company mascot Shantae getting noticed with the gaming community!!!

Getting the PS ViTa Version!!! :D