PS4-Watch_Dogs

PlayStation Plus: Shadow of the Colossus Free for Members

Kristine Steimer's Avatar + Posted by Kristine Steimer on Oct 07, 2013 // Sr. Community Specialist

Those poor, poor Colossi. All they want is be left alone to wander majestically, but if you want to save your lady friend, you’re gonna have to bring them down. I know. Take a minute to prepare your mental state, and then make sure your hard drive is ready for this awesome game when it becomes free for PlayStation Plus members tomorrow. There are also discounts on some Activision titles including classic titles like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon.

All of these PS Plus benefits will be available after the PlayStation Store updates tomorrow, 10/8.

PlayStation Plus Update 10-8-2013

PlayStation Plus: Instant Game Collection

Shadow of the Colossus (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members, Regular Price: $19.99

Shadow of the Colossus
Experience a majestic journey through ancient lands, on a quest to bring a girl back to life. The only way to save her is to slay sixteen Colossi. Explore expansive landscapes and seek out each gigantic beast in its own natural habitat. Armed with only a sword, a bow, each Colossus presents a unique challenge to test your wits, determination, and skill. Shadow of the Colossus is an epic adventure on a scale unlike anything else. Experience one of the most highly acclaimed video games of all time.

PlayStation Plus: Discounts

Game Title PS+ Price Regular Price
Worms Crazy Golf $2.50 $9.99
Deadpool $39.59 $49.99
Fast & Furious: Showdown $19.99 $39.99
Angry Birds: Trilogy $20.99 $39.99
Angry Birds: Trilogy – Anger Management Pack $2.99 $4.99
Angry Birds: Trilogy – Fowl Tempered Pack $2.99 $4.99
Family Guy: Back To The Multiverse $29.99 $59.99
Family Guy: Back To The Multiverse – Peter Griffin’s Man Boob Mega Sweat Pack $2.99 $4.99
The Amazing Spider-Man $20.99 $39.99
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped $2.99 $5.99
CTR: Crash Team Racing $2.99 $5.99
Spyro: Year Of The Dragon $2.99 $5.99
Spyro: the Dragon $2.99 $5.99
Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage! $2.99 $5.99

PlayStation Plus: Last Chance

We’ll be back next week with more details on the game arriving to the Instant Game Collection as well as any other benefits we can share.

If you’ve got feedback on today’s Plus update make sure you leave a comment below. To discuss all things PlayStation, including this update, you can also head over to the PlayStation Community Forums where you’ll find topics you can contribute your thoughts to, or start one for yourself.

+ DEasy30 on October 7th, 2013 at 12:50 pm said:

Why have a Crash and Spyro sale at this point if it cannot be played on Vita. You knew the questions were coming as soon as those names were in the post. One more time, Will the crash and Spyro games be available for Vita?

+ Moofboy on October 7th, 2013 at 12:52 pm said:

I agree with DesertAss2in. Fantastic game, controls don’t hold up so well. They weren’t great to begin with. Speaking of controls, how are they for Tony Hawk HD? I might bite on that price and the add-on… which means it might end up being free later. I loved the first few of those back in my Dreamcast days.

+ fantasyplayer on October 7th, 2013 at 12:54 pm said:

Wow !! Sony slaps us vita owners in the side of the head again. Crash and Spyro on sell and we have been asking for it for so long with no response. Way to show you care sony. You could a lest tell us a legitimate reason why it is not on the vita yet when everyone else has it and others we do not. Instead of letting everyone just guess at it. Thank you again sony.

+ secularsage on October 7th, 2013 at 12:57 pm said:

Shadow of the Colossus is a great game. I already own the disc-based game (it was a day 1 purchase for me in its original incarnation, and the PS3 version is also excellent!), but I’m happy to have it digitally as well in case I lend my disc copy out and have a desire to take down a 20-story behemoth.

The sales this week are meh for long-time PS+ members; we got all the Crash and Spyro games in the pre-IGC days. And I’d like to echo the question that has been raised — is there any compelling reason the Crash games aren’t yet available on NA Vitas? Is it a licensing thing? Does it have to do with the video format of the originals?

It falls into the Final Fantasy V camp of “Why the heck can’t I play this on my Vita when people elsewhere can?” It’d be nice if we could get an official answer instead of being left to wonder.

+ DION3TO on October 7th, 2013 at 1:00 pm said:

Awesome!

I have already Ico/SotC HD Collection, but I will certainly gonna get Crash 3, CTR and Spyro: The Dragon for my Vita :D

+ FourUp2358 on October 7th, 2013 at 1:10 pm said:

Will Crash & Spyro be playable on my Vita?

+ fixer1989 on October 7th, 2013 at 1:14 pm said:

Getting first 2 Spyros (already have 3rd) and possibly a couple Crash games. Awesome!!!

+ boomstickbhg on October 7th, 2013 at 1:28 pm said:

Why did we get SotC and ICO in separate months/drops, yet the EU got them together as one game, just like they’ve always been sold?

And just recently we had repeated sales on SotC….

Not to say it’s a bad game, but it’s been on sale many times lately, and is only half the retail package (like getting only SP or only MP in a game like Uncharted or Starhawk… oh wait you pull that kinda crud.)

Glad to see some new entries/variety in the sales section, it’s just a shame that most of your sale prices are still higher than retail. If you’re going to put a game we can never trade, lend, exchange etc.. on sale, try to at least match retail…

+ bt1234567892010 on October 7th, 2013 at 1:28 pm said:

ahh Shadow of the Colossus, I am going to play this so much :D

The sales are nice too, I’ll probably pick up spyro 1, since I don’t have enough money in my account for the 3rd one as well, both my my PS1 copies don’t work anymore, only 2 (Year of the Dragon) does :/

+ Chaos_Bladez on October 7th, 2013 at 1:29 pm said:

Awesome!
I’d love to have the Crash and Spyro games on Vita though…

+ KingTygerVII on October 7th, 2013 at 1:31 pm said:

great DISCOUNTS, love the free PLUS game, havent played it…. in about… a few years, but i must ASK!, when is the Vita getting PS2 classics? cause it clearly HAS the power for it, cause when you do that, you will empty my wallet on a weekly bases, cause wow do i want some nostalgia on the road or break from my job, or just sitting outside in hamack and enjoy the sun with classic childhood games, sure i was raised in Supernintendo Era, but PS1 and PS2 were my favorite gaming console, with so much variety of games if i got bored it was illusion only.

+ torch1177 on October 7th, 2013 at 1:37 pm said:

Spyro on Vita please

+ GrimlockFan64 on October 7th, 2013 at 1:43 pm said:

@1 Have you tried downloading the PS1 games to your PS3 (if you have one), and then transferring the Install Data (when the game is in that bubble you click on to install it) to the Vita via a USB cable? I’ve gotten PSP games that aren’t on the Vita Store onto my Vita that way.

+ Gamerzlimited on October 7th, 2013 at 1:43 pm said:

I thought Poker Night 2 will come this week as Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition is coming out tomorrow. It would have made sense this week so I can get the unlocks for that game. Also, surprised to see the Crash and Spyro PS1 classics having a sale. I already have Crash Team Racing which I bought years ago and the 1st Crash which I got for free from a Gamestop offer. Will be buying the rest of them!

The more you guys complain, the more likely they’re not going to make the Crash and Spyro games on Vita. So please shut up and accept the sale.

+ LQE55 on October 7th, 2013 at 1:54 pm said:

This is awesome. I just re-subscribed to PS-Plus the other day after a 4 month absense (I MISSED BATTLEFIELD 3!!!), and this is great. I had rented the Shadow & Ico collection once and never had the time to play Shadow, beat Ico though. This is gonna be fun.

+ SLEEPLESS_KNIGHT on October 7th, 2013 at 2:06 pm said:

Crap! After reading Colin Moriarty’s ‘History of Naughty Dog’ feature on IGN.com I litterally just bought Crash 1 on Saturday for $5.99! Damn! LOL, oh well now that all the Crash & Spyro’s are $2.99, I may just buy the rest now. $5.99 for PSOne games are still a much better deal than $9.99 N64 games on Nintendo’s Virtual Console.

+ sidney25lucas on October 7th, 2013 at 2:12 pm said:

Crash Bandicoot why dont have to psn vita ? omg

+ Jeron93 on October 7th, 2013 at 2:19 pm said:

Another bogus plus update, What i really wanna see is another AAA discount game, and less bull crap ps2 games!!! THANKS FOR NOTHING PS PLUS!!!!!!!!!

+ purse317 on October 7th, 2013 at 2:19 pm said:

As a gamer I have to ask what’s in plus for me. I am a huge gamer I buy most if not all of these games before they become free for plus members. So I hope a a discount on new games but that has vanished where is that 10% discount we used to sometimes see or where are the great sales on AAA titles.

You have to admit the game s on sale now the ps3 ones aren’t that great and honestly either really old (prototype) or overpriced (angry birds, Deadpool, etc) even on sale or worse unwanted MIB. Have you seen what Steam is doing or even M$ your biggest competitor.

Us hardcore gamers who buy everything need something from plus to please help us.

+ BkzUzi on October 7th, 2013 at 2:20 pm said:

Speaking of Ico and SotC…..
What’s up with The Last Guardian? Haven’t seen it in a long time, is it still being developed? =P

+ purse317 on October 7th, 2013 at 2:20 pm said:

Sad to say but the classics are the best thing on the list in my view I brought SotC month sago and the rest of those games are awful or overpriced even on sale.

+ hazelcabug on October 7th, 2013 at 2:21 pm said:

The 2 indie for vita instant game collection is lame as ever and what’s worse is that IGC comes only on 3rd or last week of the month! Why can’t they put it all together on 1st week? LAME SCEA policy! Put all IGC on first week just like EU and ASIA!

+ Emadeowa on October 7th, 2013 at 2:22 pm said:

hello Kristine Steimer , nice update coming, thank you

will we be getting the option to buy Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn subscriptions from the PSN Store??? or in the future??? thanks

+ mmitch079 on October 7th, 2013 at 2:22 pm said:

Next month, are the big 3 Vita games (Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and Wipeout) going to be replaced since it will be the one year anniversary of Vita joining the IGC?

+ fantasyplayer on October 7th, 2013 at 2:23 pm said:

Gamerzlimited you are a little naive. How much have you ever seen change by not complaining. Nothing. It even changes quicker when people get mad enough to not buy with the complaint. But now days that part never happens. But keep on like that and see how much you get to change in life compaired to others that do.

+ NoHeLyy on October 7th, 2013 at 2:24 pm said:

How come Europe has better deals and instant game collections?

+ Gotist on October 7th, 2013 at 2:30 pm said:

Good game, have it from last time it made the list. =\

+ carneman00 on October 7th, 2013 at 2:30 pm said:

thanks for the added games. waiting hotline miami or sine mora for the vita. I hope to one month and put some classic Final Fantasy 8 or 6 for the vita.

+ mmitch079 on October 7th, 2013 at 2:36 pm said:

@120, Polygon reported the game is being re-engineered a few days ago. I’d take that to mean they are going to release it, at some point, for the PS4.

+ NeoTrovador7 on October 7th, 2013 at 2:38 pm said:

will crash bandicoot work on my ps vita??

+ Victoryismine52 on October 7th, 2013 at 2:39 pm said:

Ok I’m with these guys wondering if your PS4 counts as one of your 2 active systems? I assumed it would work like Vita in that the PS4 is considered it’s own pool of active devices… I have 2 PS3′s currently and have preordered 2 PS4′s if I can only have my PS4′s OR PS3′s active then this is going to suck!

+ FloridaGamer on October 7th, 2013 at 2:39 pm said:

Can I play Crash and Spyro on my Vita??

+ spidertour02 on October 7th, 2013 at 2:41 pm said:

FYI, for everyone complaining about Vita stuff, Shadow of the Colossus HD works with Remote Play. :)

+ PhillyTheCat on October 7th, 2013 at 2:47 pm said:

For everyone asking: “does Spyro & Crash work on Vita?”
The answer is….No, not in America. Remote play only.
:_; <—{ tear!

+ Gokuhan_Z on October 7th, 2013 at 3:33 pm said:

I would totally pick up every one of those Crash and Spyro games IF they could be played on my Vita.

But they can’t, so I probably won’t. Sad panda. D:

+ Gamerzlimited on October 7th, 2013 at 3:38 pm said:

@fantasyplayer How about trying to say please? Also, I’m not directing that comment to everyone (Which I should have mentioned on my previous post). If Crash and Spyro comes to the Vita tomorrow, then that’s great. The way you said it really sounds like your trying to pester Sony. If you had said it nicely like some of these people, then I would respect your request and Sony would have listened. Calling it a sick joke is not going to cut it.

+ speedyboy-10 on October 7th, 2013 at 4:02 pm said:

The only things that interest me in this are shadow of Shadow of The Colossus and PS1 discounts. still waiting for crash and spyro classics for vita.

+ fantasyplayer on October 7th, 2013 at 4:05 pm said:

Please has been said for over a year now. But O well. We will try again.

+ Goniloc on October 7th, 2013 at 4:12 pm said:

Aaaaand Crash and Spyro still aren’t on Vita. Great job guys,

+ PayneKiller1509 on October 7th, 2013 at 4:14 pm said:

I finally get to play SotC :)

+ zultan8212 on October 7th, 2013 at 4:33 pm said:

@44

You can have your account on more than 2 systems. You just can’t have more than two authorized to download your purchased content from the PS Store. Yes, it’s kind of annoying, but it’s really not that big of a deal.

+ ccrogers15 on October 7th, 2013 at 4:42 pm said:

Can you guys PLEEEASE consider Ape Escape for PS1 classics? Come on! Its first party and it was a best seller!

+ BrendanCBear on October 7th, 2013 at 4:58 pm said:

It’d be nice if Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon worked on PlayStation Vita before you guys put a 50% price cut on these great PS1 Classics for PS+ members.

*cough* *cough*

9) Limbo
10) L.A. Noire
11) Beyond Good and Evil HD
12) Dark Souls
13) Metal Gear Solid HD collection

+ brr3gs on October 7th, 2013 at 5:26 pm said:

I really like Shadow of colossus for free.
Never played xD

Thanks.
Playing ICO right now…

+ Gamerzlimited on October 7th, 2013 at 6:08 pm said:

@fantasyplayer Then keep doing it as long as you ask nicely. If Crash and Spyro does comes on the Vita tomorrow, it would make everyone happy. Who knows? It may or may not happen. Neither the less, I’m still buying them. I’m turning my PSP into a legal PS1 emulator after all. So the more sales that Sony puts for PS1 classics, the better.

+ fantasyplayer on October 7th, 2013 at 6:51 pm said:

To tell the truth Gamerzlimited I am getting to where I really do not care anymore like a lot of people. It is things like this that is making me shy away from gaming a little more each time it happens. The lack of concern for the gamers or customers themselfs in gaming. I have been gaming since the first system ever sold. It seems to have changed over the years from what would you like to have in gaming to here is what we will give you ( like it or not ). It seems that we as gamers do not really matter any more. Our likes or dislikes? Who cares anymore, just buy it. It was new then and they had to listen to make things work in the long run. I guess now they do not. It is established and people buy anyway. Or are they?? Look at the charts for the last four or five years. Something different is happening.

+ SpooNManX on October 7th, 2013 at 6:55 pm said:

These work on the PS Vita right?

Crash Bandicoot $2.99 $5.99
Crash Bandicoot 2 $2.99 $5.99
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped $2.99 $5.99
CTR: Crash Team Racing $2.99 $5.99
Spyro: Year Of The Dragon $2.99 $5.99
Spyro: The Dragon $2.99 $5.99
Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage! $2.99 $5.99

I truly hope they fixed US Vita compatibility. Otherwise that’s pretty bold move to put them all on sale and
have them still only working for people in the UK and people who still use their PSP’s.

+ avatarguy on October 7th, 2013 at 6:58 pm said:

Why did this not come with ico? & why did eu get shadow and ico and it only counted as one game for their month? Seems unfair

+ SpooNManX on October 7th, 2013 at 7:04 pm said:

I wish we would stop getting discounts on games that were already given away for free.
This seems to be a recurring thing.

Given away on Plus:
Crash Bandicoot – PS1 – 11/1/11
Crash Bandicoot 2 – PS1 – 11/1/11
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped – PS1 – 11/1/11
Crash Team Racing – PS1 – 12/14/10
CTR: Crash Team Racing – PS1 – 11/1/11 – Repeat

Spyro the Dragon – PS1 – 1/4/11
Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage – PS1 – 2/1/11
Spyro Year of the Dragon – PS1 – 3/1/11
Spyro the Dragon – PS1 – 12/6/11 – Repeat
Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage – PS1 – 12/6/11 – Repeat
Spyro Year of the Dragon – PS1 – 12/6/11 – Repeat

Also, Angry Birds should be no more than $2.99 cents ($99 cents per game).