PS4 - Destiny

DRIVECLUB Update

Shuhei Yoshida's Avatar + Posted by Shuhei Yoshida on Oct 18, 2013 // President, SCE Worldwide Studios

Update: We know many of you were looking forward to playing the promised PS Plus Edition and we are truly sorry for the delay. Our first priority is to provide you with the best possible experience while playing DRIVECLUB. With the high volume of new players and additional server load the PS Plus Edition is anticipated to bring, we are currently not confident that we can guarantee the best online experience. Until we can ensure that everyone can enjoy the full social connected online experience, we will be postponing the release of the PS Plus Edition until further notice.

SCE Worldwide Studios and the team at Evolution Studios have made the difficult decision to delay the release of DRIVECLUB and DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition until early 2014. DRIVECLUB will be a truly innovative, socially connected racing game, but the team requires more time in order to deliver on their vision — and I’m fully confident the game will surpass your expectations.

This decision also affects PlayStation Plus members’ Instant Game Collection for launch. To be clear, DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition will still be part of the Instant Game Collection when it is released. For the PS4 launch, in addition to Resogun, I’m pleased to announce that Contrast, the highly anticipated game from Compulsion Games will also be available to PlayStation Plus members for free as part of Instant Game Collection. If you’re not aware of Contrast, it will whisk you away to a surreal vaudevillian, film-noir inspired reality full of performance, intrigue, shadow-play and drama. Please check out the trailer below. I’m sure you’ll agree that it is unlike anything you will have played before.

We’re also offering members access to an exclusive “Open Weekend” trial of Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer on December 28-29.

We understand that the delay is disappointing news, but can assure you that the reason we have made this decision is to ensure that when DRIVECLUB launches, it will realize the next-gen racing vision. And PlayStation 4 gamers will have no shortage of titles to play this year. At launch alone, we have Killzone Shadow Fall, Knack, Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag, FIFA 14, Call of Duty: Ghosts, and Battlefield 4 to name but a few, as well as the incredible list of indie games coming to PS4. A broad portfolio of games will be available on PS4 before the end of the year, and with games such as inFAMOUS Second Son, The Order 1886, Destiny, Watch Dogs and now DRIVECLUB coming next year, the strength of the software line-up on PS4 is unprecedented.

DRIVECLUB is a really ambitious racing title and the game is looking stunning. The extra time we’re giving the team means the visuals and overall experience are only going to get better. We can assure you that it will be worth the wait.

192 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ Nano1124 on October 18th, 2013 at 2:06 am said:

Hi Shuhei Yoshida!

+ ThumbsOfSteel74 on October 18th, 2013 at 2:09 am said:

My disappointment with delays is always mitigated by the knowledge that they will produce better games. Still kinda sucks, though. But thanks for the update. :)

+ Nightmare142 on October 18th, 2013 at 2:11 am said:

First watch dogs now driveclub :(

+ ItsNymo on October 18th, 2013 at 2:13 am said:

Heya Shu!
Rather bummed to not see the PS+ edition of Driveclub out-of-the-gate with PS4, but Contrast is a good title to start off with along with (and especially) Resogun! Been looking forward to both and glad that it’ll be free with my existing PS+ subscription!
Looking forward to an extra polished version of Driveclub next year, Evolution Studios!

+ magatsu18 on October 18th, 2013 at 2:13 am said:

I am disappointed, I was really looking forward to getting Driveclub with my PS+ membership. However, I would rather it be a done game than be out before its ready. Contrast will be a interesting game to check out.

+ adamska_br on October 18th, 2013 at 2:15 am said:

A shame about DRIVECLUB, but I’d rather have a good game later than a not as good game early. Also, nice of you guys to throw in another game in it’s place for IGC, am hoping the PS3 and the Vita will get lots of love these last two months, as far as IGC goes.

+ lost_cauze81 on October 18th, 2013 at 2:15 am said:

A bit disappointed, but still looking forward to initial lineup.

+ kidhero99 on October 18th, 2013 at 2:23 am said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

+ vik26061993 on October 18th, 2013 at 2:25 am said:

I guess we better get ready for disappointment of PS+ offers for PS4 in years to come.

+ Mam0gamik0s-82 on October 18th, 2013 at 2:25 am said:

Hi Shuhei san
No problem just make a good job on the game.

+ D-Squad3 on October 18th, 2013 at 2:32 am said:

FAIL

even less games to get at launch.

+ greeny84 on October 18th, 2013 at 2:34 am said:

@vik26061993:
“Sadly SOny didn’t even have balls to provide really unique PS4 game as replacement (coughResoguncough).”

Your statement doesn’t make sense to me… you realize Resogun will be available on PS+ day 1, right?

Also, Contrast looks pretty cool to me.

People are acting like DC was cancelled. It’s just delayed for a few months.

+ StateBiscuit on October 18th, 2013 at 2:34 am said:

NOOOOOOOO!!!
Give us a better game.

+ Andrew_McP on October 18th, 2013 at 2:37 am said:

Disappointing, but hardly a surprise… console launches are always messy. The problem for me is that Driveclub was the only reason I pre-ordered, because I’m dying to see what developers can do with new tech and my favourite gaming genre.

Mmm… decisions, decisions! My heart says keep the order. My head says the PS4 will make a rather expensive paperweight for a few months. But then my head was always eager to point out that buying into the first wave of any new hardware is always risky.

This hobby is hard work sometimes. :-)

+ Denlerien on October 18th, 2013 at 2:38 am said:

So, start lineup is really weak. Good console, good service and no “must have” games. It’s pity.

+ kidhero99 on October 18th, 2013 at 2:41 am said:

Yeah would be nice to know, if i was to guess its probably something to do with online? Is that not a major component of the game? They promise so much, and i bet that is difficult to achieve especially on a new system.

If that game has online issues, yeah it would fall apart. I doubt it will have as a robust single player as Gran Turismo or Forza (or even NFS)

+ kidhero99 on October 18th, 2013 at 2:41 am said:

Well… ****.

I hope early 2014 means January or February.

At least we’re getting Contrast. Played it at Gamescom and I’m very interested in it.

+ kidhero99 on October 18th, 2013 at 2:41 am said:

tinfoil hat on – maybe the PSN stuff wasn’t as mature as they’d need to integrate the deep social multiplayer stuff in? Motorstorm RC was really nicely done but if PSN wasn’t ready in time they might need longer to get that ready.

Also lol at those expecting 60fps. They wouldn’t delay a launch game to go to 60fps, there would be more significant issues they need to solve – either technical, balance or social etc. So *if* it comes in at 60fps that’ll be an unexpected bonus.

+ kidhero99 on October 18th, 2013 at 2:42 am said:

Now let’s see how many gamers are gonna start yakking about bailing out of the PS4 ship over this bit of news and whose got the balls to weather the storm .

+ Elvick_ on October 18th, 2013 at 2:42 am said:

Yes, Contrast.

This is better for my interests. Shame for those excited for DriveClub though.

+ Pyrokid16 on October 18th, 2013 at 2:43 am said:

KILLZONE SHADOWFALL (Multiplayer) MUST HAVE LAYING DOWN (PRONE) MODE! O_O

+ kidhero99 on October 18th, 2013 at 2:47 am said:

Evolution did amazing technical work on the last two Motorstorm games so I really don’t see why they couldn’t manage this.

+ future-phil on October 18th, 2013 at 2:56 am said:

ANOTHER indie game? cmon sony!

i was hoping we would get KNACK since japan will get it for free next year as well … that sucks … no driveclub no watchdogs… great..

+ EmperorLawlight on October 18th, 2013 at 2:56 am said:

So, 60fps?

+ sibbor on October 18th, 2013 at 3:05 am said:

@EmperorLawlight, hopefully – and probably. They’re already aiming for it. And with a couple of more months I don’t see why this couldn’t be achieved.

Here’s also hoping for full support for the Logitech G27 steering wheel, clutch, gear, paddles etc.

Still looking forward to DriveClub. Keep on rocking, devs! And Mr Yoshida, you too!

+ jesborg on October 18th, 2013 at 3:12 am said:

Seems a little disrespectful to delay these games a month before launch. I’m all for making the better product, but surely you guys knew you weren’t going to make launch earlier, why screw over retailers and customers this late in the game. This should of been known months ago well before retailers started putting these bundles together.

+ ScreamAimFire999 on October 18th, 2013 at 3:29 am said:

I am very disappointed.

+ nevermore82 on October 18th, 2013 at 3:32 am said:

I am disappointed to not have Watchdogs and Driveclub at launch.
However my biggest disappointment, although this is a regional thing, is with the unavailabilty of any information regarding console bundles in my country.

Or for that matter game releases, we have no oficial listing, in any retailer, of the games we will be able to buy on launch day here (Portugal, 29th November).

I have complained at the distributor where I pre-ordered my PS4 and they say it’s not their fault, it’s the Sony distribution in Europe that hasn’t provided that info to them.
I don’t really care about who’s to blame. I just wish things would be handled more professionaly. I wanted to also pre-order some games, at least one more controller. And they won’t let me because they have no information on availability.

This to me is something that cannot be happening just short of 1 month before launch!

+ Nightcrow71 on October 18th, 2013 at 3:37 am said:

OK , **** happends. But Contrast is not a good alternative.
You cannot be serios !!!!
At least give us KNACK or something what is nearly the same !!!!

+ Mattsta001 on October 18th, 2013 at 3:41 am said:

What an epic failure.

Just think Yoshida, if you hadn’t closed Studio Liverpool you could have had a bigger team with racing game experience working on DriveClub to get the game out at launch.

+ CossieLover1369 on October 18th, 2013 at 3:41 am said:

Playstation Plus subscribers are being bumped here, I only rejoined for Drive Club. could of saved my self a few months subscription here. I think PS+ should be free for us until Drive Club is added. Sony have messed up big time here.

+ TheWintendoHii on October 18th, 2013 at 3:44 am said:

With Watch Dogs and now Driveclub delayed.. its really hard to justify buying a PS4 on launch.. there just isn’t enough must play games. This is why Sony shouldn’t have focused so heavily on just indie games… They needed more big name titles on launch. I have nothing against indie games, some people enjoy indies and I’m sure many of them are great but its just not something I would buy a console for. Just how I if I go to a movie theatre, I’m going to watch a Hollywood movie, not someone’s homemade video.

+ CossieLover1369 on October 18th, 2013 at 3:46 am said:

Contrast for Drive Club is like swapping Lionel Messi for an amateur Player! You just wouldn’t do it…. Oh hang Sony just has!!!

+ Jisatsu_Kiddo on October 18th, 2013 at 3:50 am said:

9 Stop crying like someone kicked you in the jewls.
30 Plenty of games will be available just not what YOU want.

+ MmaFanQc on October 18th, 2013 at 3:51 am said:

Honestly, i prefer a delayed game than a rushed game.

…and THX for Contrast!

+ Elvick_ on October 18th, 2013 at 4:04 am said:

@30: Without more indies, we’d just have less games. Not more first party titles. First party development isn’t affected at all by indie games being on PlayStation platforms.

So tired of people whining about this. We’re just getting MORE games. Period. We aren’t losing anything by having more indie games.

+ TheWintendoHii on October 18th, 2013 at 4:05 am said:

32 Yeah.. that’s what I’ve said.. nothing to justify me buying a PS4 on launch because the remaining launch games aren’t must buys for me lol

+ MrBendel on October 18th, 2013 at 4:08 am said:

Feel a bit bait and switched… As someone who preordered the ps4 based on the launch lineup, the two games I was planning on getting are now delayed to 2014. :(

+ EmperorKorea on October 18th, 2013 at 4:09 am said:

PS4 going for the title of having the worst launch lineup of all time?

+ TheWintendoHii on October 18th, 2013 at 4:14 am said:

@34 Its still money and resources that could be used differently. You and I both don’t know how things work internally within Sony, but its obvious money and resources that aren’t used in one area can be used in another. Simple as that. And you are absolutely right, without indies, there would be less games. However, I much rather have quality than quantity.

+ smoothboarder540 on October 18th, 2013 at 4:21 am said:

I’m so tired of hearing people complain about the launch titles. There will be great games on ps4. Just have some patience. If there is nothing that you want to play at launch, then don’t buy a ps4 yet. Eventually there will be something you’ll like. That will likely be sooner rather than later.

+ DaNTi3L on October 18th, 2013 at 4:23 am said:

Well there goes another game i was going to pick up at launch ((Watchdogs being the other)) which is really disappointing news to me. I will still buy the PS4 but this really leaves a sour taste in my mouth after so much hyping up the game during this past few months :( but hey it does not stop me from buying my PS4. I just hope that you guys deliver on something amazing but i will be honest the launch lineup in terms of exclusives looks very weak right now Sony…

+ honkayjeezus on October 18th, 2013 at 4:25 am said:

So, as far as first party there is a Killzone and that DLC-looking Knack for any sort of retail release?

I really wish you guys would have let out the fact it would be delayed when it was known it would be delayed. In the future you will see how this affects the public perception of your console.

+ smoothboarder540 on October 18th, 2013 at 4:27 am said:

@38 Indy games are great. They give the developers free reign to make the exact game that they envision. Have you played Sound Shapes, Guacamelee, or Journey? To compare them to homemade videos is insulting. The amount of control that major publishers have over developers, more often than not, changes games for the worse.

+ AnoyoIkari on October 18th, 2013 at 4:27 am said:

I was holding out on buying a PS4 till Metal Gear V released anyways. Still I hate to see the negative waves this is making for what is going to be the next generations greatest console. Here’s to hoping you guys can keep the lead and not be buried by bad karma. I gave faith in Sony. This being said from a person that till a year ago was a die hard Microsoft fan. I believe in Sony.

+ Hogwild333 on October 18th, 2013 at 4:33 am said:

Thanks for the update and for offering a different game in PS+. I’d much rather wait a little bit and get a better game. You may want to consider publishing a complete list of games launching in 2013 because people keep forgetting about some of them and are getting overly disappointed about the delays. I don’t hear anyone mentioning all the big free-to-play games we are getting: Blacklight Retribution, Planetside 2, DCUO, War Thunder and War Frame. I for one am going to be very busy playing all of these games well into 2014 so this delay just spreads out the backlog I am going to have on day 1.

+ AnoyoIkari on October 18th, 2013 at 4:33 am said:

No more of Microsofts wore out old business model. Consumer farming business ethic. They thought they had core gamers so in their pocket and under thumb this generation that they released their vision for what their next system is and what it would require from its base. Gamers rallied with Sony, a company that has been the victor in console a console generation. One that had a hard start with the PS3 and rather than milking and bleeding their user base with an over inflated online service. Found a new innovative means to draw in gamers and reward them for doing so. Microsoft may have changed its tune for what it has planned for its console and the gamers that support it. But it hasn’t changed the fact if who the better company is, I believe in Sony.

+ M-Easy on October 18th, 2013 at 4:40 am said:

This sucks but we prefer quality over a rushed project so Kudos to you Sony.

+ actio1_618 on October 18th, 2013 at 4:46 am said:

Contrast? Not even mad.

+ zeothedeathgod on October 18th, 2013 at 4:47 am said:

as upset as i am over driveclub. contrast is amazing. was going to buy it alongside knack/killzone but now i dont have to. saves me money, and really needed that, thank you!!!!!
maybe now i can buy driveclub full when it comes out too, to support them.

PAGE 1 2 3 4