No Man's Sky

Rocksmith 2014 Edition: An All-New, Inclusive Experience

Michael Madavi's Avatar + Posted by Michael Madavi on Oct 22, 2013 // Content Producer, Ubisoft

Rocksmith 2014 Edition is finally out today! Since we announced it at this year’s E3 Conference in June, we’ve seen an outpouring of excitement, questions, and speculation from old fans, as well as those just hearing about Rocksmith for the first time. Everyone wants to know what’s been updated, fixed, and improved upon – all valid questions with a simple answer: Rocksmith 2014 Edition is a full-fledged sequel that has been built from the frame up to be the best, most fun, and fastest way to learn guitar or bass!

Rocksmith 2014 on PS3

Even though the game was announced in June, our Development team at Studio SF in Ubisoft’s San Francisco office has been hard at work on Rocksmith 2014 Edition for two years. The process was long, but ultimately worth it as the team took a hard look at the original Rocksmith and decidedly improved on every existing feature while dreaming up innovative new ones. In the words of Paul Cross, our Creative Director, “We set out immediately to do something different.”

The entire format has been reduced to the core functionalities and experiences users want out of playing guitar – a simple menu with clear options, easy to use features, and simple navigation. The way the game looks has also been revisited: a clean, warm, inviting space for you to experience your guitar journey without pretention or cliché.

We wanted to show exactly how this process happened, from inception, through trial and revision, to the final realization of what we believe is the best guitar learning experience possible. Join our Creative and Art teams for a deep dive into the totally revamped look behind Rocksmith 2014 Edition.

The overarching message we’d like someone who was familiar with the original game to take away is that the dark wood, leather “rocker” clichés are no more – Rocksmith is now an open and inclusive experience that anyone regardless of age, gender, or musical preference can enjoy. We’ve seen so many players learn to play guitar or bass using Rocksmith and absolutely rave about the results, so our goal was to open that to more people. Paul Cross really summarizes the entire effort well when he says:

“We’ve made a lot of games. In between us [the Rocksmith developers] we’ve made dozens and dozens of million plus selling games but Rocksmith is the only one that I’ve worked on that I’ve seen it change lives. Because a few people in a back room in San Francisco, with the help of a few studios dotted around the world, buckled down and delivered on something that we’ve all been dreaming about.”

Rocksmith 2014 Edition is available on PlayStation 3 today.

11 Comments

+ ALEXBERSERK on October 22nd, 2013 at 12:26 am said:

Hi, never played but now got some interest! Seems like a nice opportunity :)

+ XxCRAZYxRAGExX on October 22nd, 2013 at 12:30 am said:

We need rockband on psn network for ps3 and need rockband on vita digital as well. What is the hold up?

+ SKeRJ on October 22nd, 2013 at 1:35 am said:

I don’t think I’ve anticipated a game this much in a long time. Can’t tell you how many hours I’ve put into the first and I didn’t even want to play it anymore after I saw the improvements in this one. Goodbye fingers, you were good to me.

+ GABEv01 on October 22nd, 2013 at 1:55 am said:

I’ve always wanted to learn how to play the guitar.

+ rastech99 on October 22nd, 2013 at 3:30 am said:

ive tried downloading and installing the game 3 times and keep getting corrupted data when trying to instal. fix it please.

+ TimMalouff on October 22nd, 2013 at 6:14 am said:

On the spend $50 get $10 back through the 29th.
Looks like I am not alone on the understanding of “through”

Do purchases made on the 29th count, can we buy things released on the 29th?
What time and timezone does the sale end?

+ FriedConsole on October 22nd, 2013 at 6:43 am said:

Wow that video was a waste of time. 6 minutes on the menu design? I thought the menus in the first one were terrible but I didn’t need 6 minutes to know they suck less. Was hoping to see the other changes. Was hoping for a better visualization on when you are playing. Was hoping there was an option for simple tab. The set list does look more broad than last time where it was nothing but hipster rock that wasn’t even guitar focused. Hoping there is options to start the song at a higher difficulty.

+ XeahuleXolic on October 22nd, 2013 at 6:59 am said:

I never played Rock Smith b4, but after seeing this video I really want to try it out. I have rock band 3 and a tun of dlc for that game it’s something i will never trade in. I hope rock smith comes to ps4

+ MexGigio on October 22nd, 2013 at 7:40 am said:

I downloaded the game last night; today my fingers are gonna bleed.
I liked a lot the first one.

+ Iteration7294531 on October 22nd, 2013 at 9:23 am said:

If I owned a guitar, I’d have been all over the first one, solely for Sigur Ros and Best Coast.

+ raelalt on October 23rd, 2013 at 5:05 pm said:

I hope they release a BASS add-on like they did for the first one. Then I will grab the 2014 version.