PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Trine 2: Complete Story Coming to PS4

Kai's Avatar + Posted by Kai on Oct 28, 2013 // Frozenbyte

Hi everyone! This is Kai from Finnish game developer Frozenbyte. We’re the studio behind the Shadowgrounds and Trine franchises. Last week rumours started circling that we would be working on a port of Trine 2 for the PlayStation 4. Well, we’re happy to tell you that the rumours are indeed true! Trine 2: Complete Story is headed for the PlayStation 4!

Trine2CompleteStory_DwarvenCavernsPontius_Screenshot

Trine 2: Complete Story is a sidescrolling game filled with action, puzzles, and platforming. You play as the Thief, the Wizard and the Knight, known as the Three Heroes, who make their way through dangers untold in a fantastical fairytale world.

We’re self publishing Trine 2: Complete Story on PS4, and it’s the very latest version of the game, including a total of 20 exciting levels full of adventure (that’s the main campaign, plus the expansion Goblin Menace and the secret level Dwarven Caverns).

PlayStation 4 has allowed us to go all-out on the technical side, so you’ll get to enjoy the beautiful graphics in 1080p resolution at 60 FPS! What’s more, the game also supports stereoscopic 3D! With 3D displays becoming more common every day, we’ve made sure Trine 2: Complete Story is a treat to play in 3D as well.

Trine2CompleteStory_Scorpion_Screenshot

We’ll have more information soon, but in the meantime, let us know your feedback in the comments below.

47 Comments

+ Cancerebro on October 28th, 2013 at 7:10 am said:

Such a good sequel to an already great game. But I love the music most. It’s so beautiful.

+ hew789 on October 28th, 2013 at 7:12 am said:

why.who cares about this crap game

+ G-Force08 on October 28th, 2013 at 7:12 am said:

Interesting. I played Trine 1 and 2 on PS3 and loved them. I know more information will be given later, but can anyone speak about what Trine 2 will have added to it for someone who has already played it, to want play again?

+ passivefamiliar on October 28th, 2013 at 7:15 am said:

So, this isn’t a trine 3? Its more like a rehash. Which is nice, butI’ll pass. Hope this gets enough momentum to generate a new trine or something new. ButI enjoyed 1 and 2 but not enough to REBUY them. But imI’m glad to see it transfer over to ps4, at the same time iI think its a bit ridiculous we cantcan’t just play ps3 games on it. But life goes on. Just not selling my ps3 is all.

+ mettreidici on October 28th, 2013 at 7:16 am said:

Wouah, Stereoscopic 3D sound serious! For those of us that already own Trine 2, how does it work? Do we have to buy it again? I wouldn’t mind replaying this game in coop. Also, is the complete story coming on PS3?

+ drd7of14 on October 28th, 2013 at 7:16 am said:

I wish the game was more like the first Trine. It was brilliant. Sure, this one was certainly a much better visual display, the engine was improved, and it was blessed with a decent story, but I preferred the first. I liked the Story telling, the level design, and most importantly, the items and powers of the first game. A lot of the powers felt more or less the same. My cousin, my brother, and I had a blast with the first one. The 2nd took us a while to complete cause we really didn’t care. Twas’ unfortunate. If this “Complete Story” added items back into the mix, and more customization, powers, characters even, then we’d definitely give it a go. But I’d rather play Trine ’1′ any day. That was really something special.

+ DJRWarEagle90 on October 28th, 2013 at 7:16 am said:

This is awesome! I got both platinum trophies and had a blast with both games! Nice to see Trine 2 moving to PS4, but a sequel would of been better. I’ll pick this up if the price is right.

+ vongruetz on October 28th, 2013 at 7:23 am said:

Fantastic. Trine 2 was a game I stumbled onto and then fell in love with it. It’s one of the few games that I got the platinum for because it was just so much fun. I was always impressed with how beautiful the game was and now hearing that you’re making it even better.
I’d be really interested to know when this is coming. I’m sure that some people want new stuff instead of ported PS3 games, but I say bring it.

+ vongruetz on October 28th, 2013 at 7:24 am said:

Oh, and bring it to Vita too. That would be epic.

+ Segaholic2 on October 28th, 2013 at 7:26 am said:

Thanks for including 3D support. I have a 3D TV and 3D video games are really cool. Always great to see another game support the feature. :)

+ poodude on October 28th, 2013 at 7:26 am said:

Wow that last screenshot looks gorgeous.

+ IceColdKilla44 on October 28th, 2013 at 7:27 am said:

Wow this is actually really great news: can’t wait to play these gems again @ buttery smooth 60 fps!

And I have to agree with comment #1. Trine 2′s music is literally some of the best I’ve ever heard in a video game.

+ Wozman23 on October 28th, 2013 at 7:27 am said:

Great. I originally played (and loved) the games on the PS3, and was saddened the Goblin Menace never found its way there. I did get it not too long ago in a Humble Bundle, but still haven’t got around to touching it. I’d vastly prefer to play it on my console.

Hopefully a Trine 3 is in the works.

+ Zeitgeist_Pulse on October 28th, 2013 at 7:30 am said:

Did I just read 3d support??? that would be the first 3d ready game on the PS4. AMAZING THANK YOU! There’s a bigger 3dtv market than most people think, 3dtv’s are really affordable right now. I just hope games like knack and killzone get patched later on. 3D really adds a lot to gaming .

+ snakeeyes211 on October 28th, 2013 at 7:34 am said:

Thanks for including 3D support.

+ divineLite on October 28th, 2013 at 7:40 am said:

I have this one on Steam but my VGA refuse to play unfortunately.
So, might buy on PS4 when I got it in 2014

+ ShariusTC on October 28th, 2013 at 7:43 am said:

first of all i just want to know, do they fix the bug with PS3 version yet?

the bug is if you download NA version of the game with your AS or JP PS3, you will unable to spent your skill point due the different between the X and O buttons of the 2 version

i have my copy stay in my PS3 for too long and wait for the fix, and i plan to get AS PS4 this time too (i kind of like how they use O as the main button in these version) so i want to ask to avoid the same mistake again

+ nikrel on October 28th, 2013 at 7:45 am said:

3D ?! This is the first game announced as far as I know that has stated anything about 3D, Sony hasn’t even said if the PS4 would do 3D!

Thanks for the information, i’ve been wondering if I should get a 3D tv or not.

+ akisuo on October 28th, 2013 at 8:08 am said:

Since this is being self published, we have to buy it all over again if we already have it on PS3? I’ll buy it again regardless, but just wondering. =) Why not bring it to the Vita? ;)

+ stlthriot on October 28th, 2013 at 8:11 am said:

I’m very excited for this!! :D
I own the PS3 version but it’ll be worth it for the upgraded visuals and added levels!

+ GGCAN on October 28th, 2013 at 8:19 am said:

Like several others here, glad that the PS4 is getting 3D support.

Many have purchased a new tv and 3D is an option that came with that new tv.

I’ve been mentioning that Sony needs to provide more 3D movies on Movies Unlimited and they seem to be starting the service back up.

Heard too many rumors that they were not supporting the feature any longer and I really think they should continue the support on the PS4 as well as the Movies.

+ Amnalehu on October 28th, 2013 at 8:23 am said:

Trine 1 was one of the beautiful games on the PS3. I was actually just about to start playing Trine 2 but I think I will hold off for the PS4 version. Thanks for bringing this gem to the PS4. I can see that touch pad on the DS4 coming into use. Well done and congrats!

+ MmaFanQc on October 28th, 2013 at 8:32 am said:

Sweeeeet! The game is awesome and will be even better on ps4

+ FrozenbyteGames on October 28th, 2013 at 8:45 am said:

Hi guys, Joel from Frozenbyte here (we’ll try to get Kai here too, just some technical hiccups).

Thanks for the support and feedback. :) The game is awesome on PS4 and we can’t wait for the launch! We hope to be there at launch or very soon after.

3D – yeah it’s awesome! It truly is, and we’re all very happy about that. The game works great in 3D because the gameplay is on a static level, so your eyes can focus on all the graphical details without it interrupting gameplay.

I’ll post a new post about PS3 stuff in a moment.

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine 2: Complete Story

+ FrozenbyteGames on October 28th, 2013 at 8:46 am said:

PS3 things I copied over from my EU Blog post reply:

We can’t do PS3/PS4 Cross-Buy sadly due to different publishers and other stuff. :( We are looking into a discount possibility but are not sure if that’s going to be technically possible… Normal pricing should be 16.99 euros but we’ll confirm when we know the discount stuff…

As for the DLC/PS3 issues – sorry! We didn’t handle the situation as well as we should have, and there were some technical and financial issues involved too, including the fact that the Goblin Menace levels didn’t run on PS3 without big optimizations, and the developer-publisher relationship sometimes makes it even more difficult (although we are ok with ATLUS and respect them). So everything just became a bit messed up and we weren’t able to support the game as well as we wanted or should have… Sorry! :(

(So in other words, the bug on Asian consoles is not fixed and will not get fixed – please get in touch with our support at http://www.frozenbyte.com/contact and we’ll sort it out one way or another.)

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine 2: Complete Story

+ FrozenbyteGames on October 28th, 2013 at 9:01 am said:

Ah, sorry, shouldn’t copy too much stuff from Europe! Pricing will most likely be $19.99 in US. We’re looking into discounts but there may be technical issues preventing that… If that turns out to be the case, we’ll see if we could offer something for current PS3 Trine 2 owners… can’t promise anything but let’s see how it goes!

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine 2: Complete Story

+ lisatsunami on October 28th, 2013 at 9:26 am said:

HI, I loved Trine 2. So beautiful and fun, even though I’m very bad at platformers so those parts were always tricky for me.

+ Erlaxis on October 28th, 2013 at 9:41 am said:

Trine 2 is one of the most amazing and beautiful games I played this gen. If this was a full sequel, I would buy it day-one. Still, I will get this game eventually, specially after seeing that huge scorpion boss.

+ Elvick_ on October 28th, 2013 at 10:29 am said:

Will you guys be doing anything with the lightbar and other unique stuff on PS4? Like different colors for each character or something?

Definitely buying it a 3rd time.

+ Welmosca on October 28th, 2013 at 11:20 am said:

Trine 2 is an amazing beautifully crafted game…its really fun and gorgeous to look at….I’m thankful to Plus for giving me this great game for free but I had bought Trine 1 before playing the 2nd and it was amazing already…….but Trine 2 going to PS4 sure isn’t good news…fail.A Vita version would’ve been much better and welcome…and you would have a buyer right here.

+ mastorofpuppetz on October 28th, 2013 at 11:40 am said:

@2 – Why did you post then? Obviously people do. People like you should be banned from posting on the official blog. Take your trolling to the xbox.com forums.

+ Mando44646 on October 28th, 2013 at 11:52 am said:

No Vita support?

+ FrozenbyteGames on October 28th, 2013 at 11:55 am said:

@Elvick_ Thanks for the thoughts – we had some ideas for the lightbar but ultimately couldn’t quite make use of it, so we don’t use it. Sorry! We are using the touch pad though! You can draw the Wizard’s magic stuff on it, like creating boxes and planks, it’s quite nice. :)

We know there’s a lot of PS Vita fans out there, but it just hasn’t been a good match for us yet… we haven’t completely ruled it out in the future though, even if we have nothing to announce right now.

- Joel, Frozenbyte, developers of Trine 2: Complete Story

+ duff916 on October 28th, 2013 at 11:57 am said:

I hope this is cross buy

+ AizawaYuuichi on October 28th, 2013 at 11:57 am said:

Finally, confirmation that there will be 3D gaming on the PS4, and not just 3D movies! Definitely will pick this up at some point. I actually bought Trine 2 on PS3 when it first released, but I still haven’t gotten around to playing it. Guess I should do that soon, so I can really compare the quality between the PS3 and ’4 versions.

Thanks for bringing this to PS4 and not Vita. It’ll be awesome to play this in full 1080p at 60fps. If I really want it on my Vita, it’ll support Remote Play, right? Right? Right.

Looking forward to news on a release date for this.

+ Treequil on October 28th, 2013 at 12:06 pm said:

Hum… Do I get this game a third time for the PS4, just to see it in full HD?
… Probably. (I have PS3 & PC versions.. PC version was bought for the soundtrack..)

+ plaztiksyke on October 28th, 2013 at 2:00 pm said:

yay 1080p 3D!!!

other games have done discounts for previous buyers: Journey had a discount for people who bought Flower in its first week, Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath on Vita had a discount for people who bought the PS3 version, and there’s a few other first and third party examples. I really hope you guys can pull it off. (At least you have an excuse for double-dipping — a change in publisher — whereas TellTale is just screwing their fans/supporters.)

will the audio assets be 24-bit and/or losslessly compressed? the voiceovers in the previous games were especially irritating to listen to due to the artifacts. hoping for at least 320kbps Ogg in all of these next-gen games.

thanks for answering questions!

+ Guimace on October 28th, 2013 at 2:26 pm said:

Trine 2 is such a beautiful game. Will possibly look even more stunning on PS4.

I might pick it up again if it has another Platinum. haha

+ tusunami on October 28th, 2013 at 3:14 pm said:

I hope this won’t be the extent of rehash of PS3 games to PS4 with extra content. Because for the many of us that already had this game that’s not going to help.

+ PatricioUSA on October 28th, 2013 at 5:14 pm said:

I have trine 1 and 2 for ps3 and steam.
There should be a way to get trine on ps4 for free….

+ Mantiskilla on October 28th, 2013 at 7:48 pm said:

Looks like its nothing new my PC version can’t do already so I’ll pass on it. Still its good that its coming to PS4 though with those features.

+ younginflavor18 on October 29th, 2013 at 4:34 am said:

I’ll defintiely check this game out when I purchase a PS4. Looks pretty beautiful, colorful, and underrated, and I couldn’t care less if it’s a rehash to the original version that was previously on the PlayStation 3.

+ Ryusennin on October 29th, 2013 at 3:28 pm said:

What about us PS3 hobos? Are we still not worthy of Goblin Menace?

+ Ryusennin on October 29th, 2013 at 3:30 pm said:

Just read Frozenbyte’s explanation on EU blog. What a shame. Remind me next time not to blindly trust this developer again.

+ FrozenbyteGames on October 29th, 2013 at 4:37 pm said:

@Ryusennin sorry!

@plaztiksyke Yeah we have better audio quality on PS4, there’s so much memory that the old limitations are basically gone. Audio should be clear and crisp!

+ I_Like_Tomatoes on October 29th, 2013 at 6:33 pm said:

Microsoft pays a ton of money to EA for Titanfall to be exclusive for ever, and you guys get TRINE 2 … Way to go!

+ guatman67 on November 2nd, 2013 at 2:01 pm said:

I agree the game should look and play great on the PS4 and I’ll probably download it since I enjoyed Trine 1. I don’t think 3-D is all that common though, sales of 3-D televisions have been disappointing..