Street Fighter V

Oct 30

Heavenly Sword

Heavenly Sword Animated Feature Film Coming in 2014

Brad Foxhoven's Avatar Posted by Brad Foxhoven on Oct 30, 2013 // Producer

*This movie has not been rated.

Today we’re proud to announce the Heavenly Sword feature film. This is a CG animated film based on the game that originally launched in 2007. The Heavenly Sword film is slated to be released digitally worldwide, as well as theatrically in select global markets, in Spring 2014. The film stars Anna Torv, Alfred Molina, and Thomas Jane.

Heavenly Sword is a dramatic tale of revenge that sees Nariko (Anna Torv), a fiery red-haired heroine, embark on a quest of vengeance against the invading King Bohan (Alfred Molina) and his army. Once considered the failure of a legendary prophecy, Nariko must wield a sword that was ultimately meant for another. This ancient Heavenly Sword, once belonging to a powerful deity, can never be wielded by a mortal without slowly and inevitably killing them. For Nariko, it’s a race against time to avenge her clan before her life is irreparably overtaken by the omnipotent Heavenly Sword.

Heavenly Sword Feature Film, 01Heavenly Sword Feature Film, 02

I think it’s important to understand where Heavenly Sword stands for us, as many of you know Blockade Entertainment from our Ratchet & Clank movie announcement. In fact, Heavenly Sword came before Ratchet & Clank, and ultimately started everything for us. You see, we had an idea we presented to Sony a few years back. We asked them to allow us to use the existing game assets and development materials from a Sony game to make a movie. Sony could pick the franchise we would adapt, as we loved all of the franchises within PlayStation — how could we go wrong?

They chose Heavenly Sword.

We’re fortunate to work with the Heavenly Sword game franchise. Andy Serkis, along with Ninja Theory, had created an extensive library of material to access and use in the film. In addition, Anna Torv, while a relatively unknown actress when voicing the video game, has grown tremendously in popularity thanks to her role on Fringe.

Initial feedback on early cuts of the film encouraged Blockade, Sony, and the film’s financial partners to take the film to the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year with TriCoast WorldWide. The reaction to the film was very positive, with multiple buyers looking to release the film theatrically in their markets.

After a few exhausting years, working with a very small crew, the film is done and we can tell the world about it. We hope you enjoy it!

PAGE 1 2

+ enano_javi on October 30th, 2013 at 12:56 pm said:

King Bohan just doesn’t seem right… He always sounded like a mad person, not like this all serious and bad guy. Andy Serkis why are you not there helping? :(

For those asking for Andy Serkis, heres IGN’s interview:
-“Our next challenge was Andy Serkis, who not only directed the game’s cinematics, but also played King Bohan in the game. He wasn’t available when we were making the film, so our challenge was how to replace him? Fortunately we were able to bring Alfred Molina aboard.”

Also read the story it will now have:
-“The film follows the overall plot of the game, with one major deviation. In the game you never actually get to see the true “chosen one,” because he was never born. In the film, though, we introduce him—and give Nariko the task of getting the Heavenly Sword to him. This creates a driving element through the second act of the film, and places even more pressure on Nariko when everything falls apart.”

Are you really going with this just because of gender? Thats what made the story interesting for me, the whole game her people hated her cause she was a blasphemy to the legend, and at the end she is the actual savior.

Brad Foxhoven's Avatar

+ Brad Foxhoven on October 30th, 2013 at 1:00 pm said:

Appreciate the comments. The twist with the chosen one is just that, a twist. The overall path of Nariko stays the same with this little curveball thrown in. Nariko’s clan is still against her, and she is still the outcast. Thx!

+ ngreatshark on October 30th, 2013 at 1:25 pm said:

This is great news, but Im really looking forward to this game getting a proper sequel. I didn’t get a chance to play this until last year and it was easily one of the best produced games on the console, which is amazing since it was a year one game yet still holds up today. Everyone did an excellent job on this game, and my hope the movie captures the games magic. It’s a shame HR isn’t even on PSN.

+ Lord_Orpheo on October 30th, 2013 at 1:26 pm said:

Yes, I’ve been looking forward to this since I first read about it. I still believe both “Folklore” & “Heavenly Sword” are two of the best games this gen and would love to see sequels to both.

I’m looking forward to this move though I’m a bit apprehensive concerning the twist of the Chosen One. In the game I was always under the impression that Nariko really was the Chosen One, but that the prophecy of the gender of the Chosen One was really more an assumption because the original wielder of the sword was male. The movie’s twist takes away from the justification and deeper meaning behind the identity of Nariko, BUT I will wait to make a concrete call on this until I see the film. There may be some trickery involved that would still reinforce this theme. ;)

Here’s a question. If this movie does well, do you think you may try to make a “Folklore” movie?

+ TLSBill on October 30th, 2013 at 1:46 pm said:

+1 to Orpheo on Folklore & Heavenly Sword. It was funny to see all kinds of games go to the bargain bin early, but those two held their price for a long, long time.

Can’t wait to see this movie, it’s one of those “shut up and take my money!” moments.. Just tell me where and when. It will be great to see Kai again (personal favorite), and I hope she’s still as funny a character. Congratulations!

+ ngreatshark on October 30th, 2013 at 1:37 pm said:

I wonder what Thomas Jane’s role is in the film

+ M-Easy on October 30th, 2013 at 2:02 pm said:

This is great. HS is one of my all time favorite games. No use your powers of persuasion to get SCEA to make Heavenly Sword 2.

+ remanutd5 on October 30th, 2013 at 2:02 pm said:

I hope this leads to Heavenly Sword 2 on ps4 and Heavenly Sword on psvita!!!!! i want to see more of Nariko.

+ Kaiser499 on October 30th, 2013 at 2:33 pm said:

Hopefully we get Heavenly Sword 2 for Playstation 4 after this movie.

+ xClayMeow on October 30th, 2013 at 2:33 pm said:

If Sony wants to boost Vita sales, they need to make Heavenly Sword 2 a Vita exclusive. That’ll certainly push units!

+ Gamerzlimited on October 30th, 2013 at 2:34 pm said:

About my previous comment, forget what I said. Anna Torv is the original VA for Nariko. Now curious why they couldn’t get her back for PlayStation All-Stars. Another question I have is will the film be a re-telling of the game or is it an original story? I never played Heavenly Sword so I don’t know.

+ FearMonkey on October 30th, 2013 at 2:55 pm said:

@Brad – OMG! Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash is playing Kai!?! :O

+ hush404 on October 30th, 2013 at 3:39 pm said:

Huh. This is damn awesome. I loved the game, hope this sparks interest in a new one :)

+ D-Squad3 on October 30th, 2013 at 4:17 pm said:

+ D-Squad3 on October 30th, 2013 at 4:21 pm said:

Btw Bohan is completely not the same without Serkis. :(

+ Wozman23 on October 30th, 2013 at 5:16 pm said:

Monkey Peaches! Glad Anna is back. I welcome any new content from the IP.

+ cjmc18 on October 30th, 2013 at 5:26 pm said:

Narikoooo!! :D

+ BG808s on October 30th, 2013 at 5:38 pm said:

Definitely one of the most underrated PS3 games, and one of my favorite games on the PS3, especially story & character-wise! Looking forward to how the movie will turn out, even though it’s disappointing to see that Serkis won’t be in it…

Most of all, I really hope this means Sony is preparing Heavenly Sword 2 for the PS4 behind the scenes!!

+ mikemill on October 30th, 2013 at 6:42 pm said:

Heavenly Sword was one of my favorite PS3 games and I’ve been hoping for HS2 for years now.

SONY – Please, please, please tell me that we’ll see a Heavenly Sword 2 on PS4!!!

+ JacquelineFerre on October 30th, 2013 at 7:04 pm said:

Horrible CGI. looks worse than those Barbie movies.

+ Souledge94 on October 30th, 2013 at 8:22 pm said:

This is cool and all but im just iffy on there being an actual person who can hold the sword.I just dont like the thought of nariko pushed into the background for some other person that was thrown just for the movie. Hopefully you prove me wrong.

+ Regor91 on October 30th, 2013 at 8:59 pm said:

I loved Heavenly Sword. I hope this movie is good, but what I REALLLLY want is Heavenly Sword 2.

+ SocialClimber_85 on October 30th, 2013 at 10:42 pm said:

Thank you so much!! I’m so excited to see features on two of my favorite Sony franchises.
Heavenly Sword was the reason I even bought a ps3 and Ratchet and Clank is truly one of my favorite gaming experiences. I hope if these do well it’ll mean movies for some more Sony properties.. It’d be awesome to see a god of war or inFamous movie later. For now I’d like to say thanks again, I’ve missed Nariko.

+ Gscorpio14 on October 30th, 2013 at 11:20 pm said:

Please add trophies to Heavenly Sword so everyone can see how awesome this game is!

+ Davenport on October 30th, 2013 at 11:26 pm said:

the lack of original voice actors and unnecessary plot “twist” makes me lose any interest in this project. and that’s ashame as this game is one that definitely deserves a sequel.

+ FreshRevenge on October 31st, 2013 at 12:06 am said:

This was a underated fantastic game. I wished that it had more of an success. I really felt at the time they did a wonderful job with capturing facial animation with the mo-cap actors. I did want to see the sequel. I am happy that Sony hasn’t really abandoned this franchise. I will support this movie and hopefully a sequel to the first game comes out!

+ Sarges24 on October 31st, 2013 at 2:41 am said:

makes me want to go back and play HS. I always loved the Shorts they did for HS and felt it had the potential to be a great anime or film. This definitely looks great and has my full attention. Can’t wait to watch it. Great Work!

+ Elvick_ on October 31st, 2013 at 5:17 am said:

Sucks that Kai’s VA isn’t returning. She was perfect. D:

+ Sean_Pierce on October 31st, 2013 at 12:30 pm said:

It better get its own Blu-Ray release too!! It’d be so wrong if it’s distributed digitally only! But if we do get a theatrical release domestically, I’d definitely go there first!

+ SILVERX200 on October 31st, 2013 at 2:47 pm said:

I bought the game thinking it would be really cool, but the gameplay just didn’t do it for me. Very odd and infuriating QTE segments, and the amount of screen-tearing and jagged edges in the game was ridiculous. I wanted to like it, I really did.

I really have no interest in the movie because of this and that’s a shame. I also don’t find Ninja Theory to be a capable developer outside of facial animation. They should stick to what they’re good at. The Unreal Engine is so overused it’s not funny.

Best of luck with the animated feature.

+ hongthay on October 31st, 2013 at 8:27 pm said:

Fantastic news, can’t wait to see it. Now, we just need a confirmed sequel.

You know, I think a digital re-release of some of the titles in the first 2 years would be great. Valkyria Chronicles, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, R&C Crack in Time and Tools of Destruction and some others would benefit from the larger install base now.

I am going through Valkyria Chronicles again at the moment and would love for more people to get a chance at it.

+ CommandingTiger on November 1st, 2013 at 8:33 am said:

As a gamer, it’s cool they went with this game.
On a business stand point, not so much, there’s only been 1 game of it. I don’t know if it’ll be popular enought.

+ Welmosca on November 1st, 2013 at 11:59 am said:

Never played the game but…I know a lot about it…played the demo though…the game does have a good story but stiff gameplay.Looking forward to the movie..great job guys.

+ RewVitalize on November 5th, 2013 at 5:03 pm said:

I’d heard a Heavenly Sword movie was in the works, but I’m stunned that it’s actually a done deal. Looks interesting!

Hopefully this spurs interest in the game again, and gets development teams talking about making a next-gen sequel on the PS4!

+ Gorvi on October 30th, 2013 at 9:32 am said:

This looks really good, hopefully we’ll see another game in the franchise at some point too. :)

+ TomHoang on October 30th, 2013 at 9:34 am said:

I’m glad this IP still lives. One of my all time favorite games.

+ Elvick_ on October 30th, 2013 at 9:37 am said:

I think it looks great.

I hope that the franchise lives on after this movie, with perhaps a sequel on PS4? PS Vita? Something. I don’t really care. I just don’t want it to be dead after this. The characters are far more interesting than most in the genre.

+ KidCommando on October 30th, 2013 at 9:40 am said:

Great news! Looking forward to checking it out.

Hopefully this will improve the chances of a sequel happening.

+ nbnt on October 30th, 2013 at 9:42 am said:

Heavenly Sword 2 pls :(

+ Vinland_Krauser on October 30th, 2013 at 9:42 am said:

“We asked them to allow us to use the existing game assets and development materials from a Sony game to make a movie.”
Ah, so THAT’s why it looks so much like the game. Can we expect some significant changes to the story or will it follow the same events that we already played back then?
Also, no Andy Serkis as Bohan? :(

Brad Foxhoven's Avatar

+ Brad Foxhoven on October 30th, 2013 at 12:41 pm said:

Sorry about Andy – his schedule didn’t match up with our production. We think Alfred does an amazing job in the film though. As for the story – we alter one element. There is a “chosen one”, and Nariko has to get to him before King Bohan. What happens when they meet up is a great moment in the film. I won’t spoil it for you. :)

+ YungShep on October 30th, 2013 at 9:42 am said:

would really love a sequel, granted understanding what happens when you wield the sword, i still would hate to be without a part 2. maybe a different story arch?????????????????

+ Elvick_ on October 30th, 2013 at 9:44 am said:

@6: IGN had an interview that addresses both. You should go check it out, I’d link to it, but then I’d have to wait for moderation. *eye roll*

+ KuroiHanshou on October 30th, 2013 at 9:46 am said:

Yes! Tbh I’ve never logged in to comment but I’m so psyched about this. Such a great IP, so happy to see it’s gotten some love, six years after release.

+ AriesWarlock on October 30th, 2013 at 9:48 am said:

Great news! Always eager for some more Nariko. Please, keep giving us more news!

+ SarshelYam on October 30th, 2013 at 9:48 am said:

I imagine the changes in performance are something we’ll never be privy to. Serkis was a special level of crazy as Bohan…and I’m unsure how Molina will translate, or if the character is being reduced from the role we saw in the game, less nutty, more possessed and tyrannical.

So happy to hear Anna Torv returns, but I have to ask. You mention digital and theatrical releases, but nothing for those of us considered as physical junkies. Any chance you might do a limited run on Blu-Ray? I think that would be an amazing buy, especially if you include some bonus content like, perhaps, the animated short films that released prior and through the games release?

Brad Foxhoven's Avatar

+ Brad Foxhoven on October 30th, 2013 at 12:44 pm said:

Yes, we really wanted Andy (as I address in another comment thread). The schedules just didn’t work on our favor, though we love Alfred’s performance and hope you do too. No matter what, its the same Bohan character in tone and performance. To your other question – this will also be on Blu-Ray and DVD. Thx!

+ SarshelYam on October 30th, 2013 at 9:49 am said:

…I don’t mean to imply Molina isn’t capable or accomplished. He’s great! Though I do feel we’re being treated to a very different Bohan in this version.

Brad Foxhoven's Avatar

+ Brad Foxhoven on October 30th, 2013 at 12:44 pm said:

Yes, Alfred does bring a slightly different take on it, but equally disturbing (in a good way).

+ AriesWarlock on October 30th, 2013 at 9:49 am said:

Also, the mandatory: please, make HS 2!!

+ Robbie_G_lrish on October 30th, 2013 at 9:50 am said:

Just as long as we get some Twing Twang… Kai was my favourite character in that game. Is her voice actor returning?

Brad Foxhoven's Avatar

+ Brad Foxhoven on October 30th, 2013 at 12:47 pm said:

Sadly the actor who played Kai is not in the film (Lydia Baksh). That said, we think the actress who came on for the role (Ashleigh Ball) does an amazing job. Make sure to stay to the end of the film for a cool moment with Kai.

+ tonydamiani on October 30th, 2013 at 9:50 am said:

Wow! I can’t believe this! This is awesome. Hopefully the movie boost up the popularity of the game and maybe Sony make a sequel. It’s one of my all time PS3 favorite games.

Brad Foxhoven's Avatar

+ Brad Foxhoven on October 31st, 2013 at 4:07 pm said:

Love that – we agree! :)

+ wocyob on October 30th, 2013 at 9:52 am said:

Man iv been waiting many years to hear something about Heavenly Sword. Ugh hate knowing I now have to wait for this :(

+ Heisem on October 30th, 2013 at 9:54 am said: