Uncharted 4

Rainbow Moon Coming to PS Vita December 3rd

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar + Posted by Marcus Pukropski on Nov 01, 2013 // CEO, SideQuest Studios

After we released Rainbow Moon on PS3 last year, one of the most common questions we received was “Are you going to make a Vita version?” Obviously we weren’t the only ones that believed Rainbow Moon would make a great experience for handheld platforms, and with demand being so high, we set about working on a Vita port almost immediately.

For those of you not already familiar with Rainbow Moon, we’ve put together a new trailer. You can also find a few of our older blog posts explaining the game in more detail here.

Something that was really important to us from the beginning was using our own engine to ensure a solid 60 FPS, and a robust game with little to no loading times. After months of hard work, we’re happy to announce that Rainbow Moon Vita is coming to PlayStation Store on December 3rd!

Rainbow Moon on PS Vita, 06Rainbow Moon on PS Vita, 10

As a result of all the amazing feedback from Rainbow Moon fans around the world, more than 30 new features, improvements, and bug fixes found their way into Rainbow Moon for Vita. The biggest new addition is cross save, meaning that any progress you make on your Vita can be continued on PS3, and vice-versa. This also applies to existing Rainbow Moon saves, so you don’t have to worry about losing any progress!

Additionally, XP counters in the victory screen can now be skipped, items can be used directly from the quest vendor, and left-stick control has been improved, reducing the chance of walking in unintended directions while in battle mode.

If you don’t own a PS Vita yet, don’t worry. All these improvements will be included in a patch for the PS3 version of Rainbow Moon next month.

Rainbow Moon on PS Vita, 03

Rainbow Moon on PS Vita, 05Rainbow Moon on PS Vita, 08

I hope you’re as excited about the Rainbow Moon Vita launch as we are! We’re really grateful to everyone for telling us how much they wanted a Vita version. Make sure to leave your thoughts and questions in the comments, and if you want to get in touch with us and stay up to date with Rainbow Moon news, check out our website or Facebook Page.

Don’t forget to check back here for more information and details on Rainbow Moon!

PAGE 1 2

+ Doppelgangergang on November 1st, 2013 at 3:30 pm said:

I hope you guys could port Soldner-X and Soldner-X2 to the Vita. :)

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 1st, 2013 at 3:50 pm said:

There is a chance, but can’t say more at the moment:)

+ ProfessorStotch on November 1st, 2013 at 3:39 pm said:

This might be a dumb question, but I’m confused about what you’re saying on trophies. In one reply back you say that they share a list, and in another it seems like trophies will unlock when you load your data. Maybe I’m just reading it wrong.

By “shared lists” do you mean more like Dragon Fantasy Book II or Sound Shapes?

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 1st, 2013 at 3:53 pm said:

Hi,

I’m sorry for being unclear. Because of the cross save feature, Trophies are shared between the Vita and PS3 version. So, unlocking a trophy in one version will automatically unlock the same trophy in the other version and vice versa.

Hope that helps.

+ rabidninjamonky on November 1st, 2013 at 3:41 pm said:

Rainbow Moon is my favorite psn game ever. I loved every second of my 100+ hours I spent with it. I am not obsessed with trophies, but I’m kind of bummed with the shared trophies. I platinumed the PS3 version, and was planning on doing the same with the vita version, but now I can’t really see a reason to buy this version. I can’t wait for Rainbow Skies though!

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 1st, 2013 at 4:01 pm said:

I’m sorry to hear that and I can see your point.

Well, we probably can’t make everyone happy. There are people like you who would prefer a new trophy set, while others want to share all unlocks between both platforms. For games that supports a cross save feature, the second method is the most common one and highly recommended by Sony.

Hope that helps.

+ TeamGreen615 on November 1st, 2013 at 3:52 pm said:

More great news for the Vita! Can’t wait!

+ Vextalon on November 1st, 2013 at 4:17 pm said:

I can’t wait. So many great games coming out for Vita. My Vita backlog is bigger than my PS3 one. Though i’m curious will you be able to import save data from Rainbow Moon into Rainbow Skies for extra equipment or something? Any chance that this game will have any co-op action?

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 2nd, 2013 at 2:07 am said:

Hi,

besides from many improvements, new features and bugfixes, there is no new extra content I’m afraid. We felt that the game is already very complete in terms of content. So, besides from many optional side quests and secrets, Rainbow Moon contains a massive endgame section.

It’s a pure single player game. There is an online feature for comparing statistics and scores but apart from this and cross save, no other network features are supported or planned.

+ beetlegossip on November 1st, 2013 at 4:39 pm said:

@ Marcus Pukropski

MADE. MY. DAY. (DAY 1 purchase for me! WOOT)

+ RE_Player on November 1st, 2013 at 4:50 pm said:

Day 1 buy for me.

+ KanesInferno on November 1st, 2013 at 5:11 pm said:

Definitely getting this, I love it on PS3. I’d be more likely to play it more often on Vita, though.

+ zephyrus777 on November 1st, 2013 at 6:24 pm said:

this comes out on birthday! sweet, happy birthday me, i’ve been wanting to get a game like this for my vita and i think this will be the one

+ loveinspace on November 1st, 2013 at 8:27 pm said:

Finally ! Getting this for Vita day 1. Great improvements too.

+ Dothius on November 1st, 2013 at 10:24 pm said:

Very happy that there’s a cross-save feature so I can continue my PS3 progress (as I’ve already put over 60 hours into the game).
If there’s a 50% (or more) discount on this game for PS3 owners then it’s a definite day 1 purchase for me, but if it’s full price then I’ll be waiting for a sale. :)

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 2nd, 2013 at 2:10 am said:

I hope we can confirm the discount soon.

+ AizawaYuuichi on November 1st, 2013 at 11:00 pm said:

Wasn’t too sure about this when it first came out on PS3, but after seeing all the positive buzz around it, and you later confirming a Vita port, I started looking into it. It definitely looks like a game I’d like to try out, and considering my huge PS3 backlog, I decided to wait for the Vita version.
With the release date finally announced, you’ve got another confirmed Day One purchase in December when this launches. :)

PS> Also looking forward to Rainbow Skies whenever you get it finished and released!

+ idn86i on November 2nd, 2013 at 4:49 am said:

<3 you guys!! Thanks for bringing this to the Vita!! Woot woot! I will pick this up day 1 for sure.

+ Rainwater on November 2nd, 2013 at 8:28 am said:

When something like this gets announced, I’m always saddened to see people asking about Cross Buy. Why do we assume small developers can port content for free? Cross buy makes sense in a less instances than we imagine (e.g. F2P games or games that have a really small price point), especially for small independent studios.

+ Svramism on November 2nd, 2013 at 8:42 am said:

Yay! Gonna get it on DAY 1! Thanks!

+ Rezolution77 on November 2nd, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

I do not remember requesting this one.
Mine were Socom 3, Splinter Cell, and Rainbow Six to name a few.

Colors and sound looked nice.

Can’t say I will be holding my breath for this one, but can not find a complaint with adding it.

*Make it Crossbuy, and reasonably priced, and I may think about it.

+ Rezolution77 on November 2nd, 2013 at 12:20 pm said:

And to defend myself on your comment @Rainwater.
1. Maybe, because certain games are fairly easy to port.
2. Seeing as they charged what they have already, for development.
3. Porting would likely not cost as much as the development.

Maybe what you are referring to is the abilty for someone else to buy the rights of a game, then tries to resell that product on another console / system.
“Why would you even argue on their behalf, if you were a real customer?”

Then why should Sony even advertise the ability to CrossBuy.
* Unless you start adding in fine print “Only on select titles” ignoring how very few have done so.

Arguing about why, will not change how very few will buy this game, unless something is done to make it worth buying.

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 3rd, 2013 at 3:02 am said:

Hi,

believe it or not, but Rainbow Moon for Vita was definitely not an easy port. We’re not using any middle ware or third party engines, so porting our in house technology took us much longer than we originally had expected.

+ Rezolution77 on November 2nd, 2013 at 12:21 pm said:

I bet had they offered the original team part of the proceeds to make it Crossbuy,

And yet blame the consumer, for not paying twice for the same game.

There is not that huge of a Vita owner base yet, and reasons like this are why.

+ zombie9 on November 2nd, 2013 at 1:36 pm said:

@47 love the comment Vita blows

+ JeffsonP on November 2nd, 2013 at 1:38 pm said:

Hi, Rainbow Moon is also coming to Brazil too?

+ zombie9 on November 2nd, 2013 at 1:43 pm said:

ps4 ????????????????????????????????????????

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 3rd, 2013 at 3:05 am said:

Probably not. We will consider this for Rainbow Skies but not for Rainbow Moon.

+ rabidninjamonky on November 2nd, 2013 at 1:46 pm said:

@ Rezolution77 I usually ignore trolls, but I can’t help it today. You do realize they spent a year porting this for vita, right? You really expect them to just give it away for free? They said they were considering a 50% discount for PS3 owners. That sounds pretty generous to me. “Make it crossbuy and reasonably priced and I may think about it.” The PS3 version has been out for over a year for only $15. I’m sure the vita version will be the same price. If $15 for a massive SRPG with over 100 hours of gameplay and deep customization isn’t reasonably priced enough for you, maybe this isn’t the right game for you. If it was so cheap and easy to port games to vita, we wouldn’t be getting so many delays and cancellations like Terraria, Dead Nation, Bit Trip Runner 2, GOW HD collection, etc.

+ NoGodsOnlyMan on November 2nd, 2013 at 4:05 pm said:

this type of game is better played on vita with cross play with PS3. I will get the combo of PS3+Vita on December 3

+ Unit68matthew on November 3rd, 2013 at 11:16 am said:

Very excited for this on the Vita! It’s been a long time coming.

+ Desfar on November 4th, 2013 at 6:27 am said:

I’m very excited! I can’t wait to dive in on the Vita and start tackling hard mode. I spent 125 hours on the PS3 version. Here’s to many more on the Vita!

Seriously guys, thanks so much for everything you do. Rainbow moon is my undisputed game of the generation. When I bought Rainbow Moon last year, I had no idea that I was buying my dream game; a game with a deep battle system, amazing music, a wonderful world that was just begging to be explored, awesome character customization and growth, extensive post-game… I could go on and on.

Anyways, again–thanks. It means so much to me.

One question: Is there a comprehensive list of all the fixes and improvements that are in the patch / Vita version? I’m very curious about the changes!

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 5th, 2013 at 1:05 am said:

Hi Desfar,

Thanks a lot for all the praise:)

You’ll find a brief list of changes at our forum site:

The most important changes are:
    - Cross-Save has been implemented. It is now possible to exchange saved data between different platforms.
    - Certain item types can now be used from the item request window.
    - Added option to cancel XP counters on the victory screen.
    - The savant now offers two methods for exchanging Rainbow Pearls,
    allowing you to increase your stats in single and multiple units.
    - Improved handling for left stick, reducing the chance of moving in unintended directions during battle.
    - After entering a character name, the name can be reviewed and adjusted.
    - Several minor improvements have been added.
    - Several additional bugs fixed.

There is currently no comprehensive list of all changes available but feel free to ask in our forum if you’re interested in this.

+ wutdaheckman on November 4th, 2013 at 7:44 am said:

Both SRPGs, Shining Force 1/2/3 and FFTactics/TacticsOgre are very different from each other. I saw you mentioned earlier that there’s an exploration aspect to the game. Can you comment which games I mentioned above RM leans closer to? Thanks!

+ Desfar on November 4th, 2013 at 8:23 am said:

wutdaheckman:

Rainbow Moon is very different from both of those series. I suggest looking up gameplay videos on YouTube to get an idea.

To give you a brief idea:

Rainbow moon has a large world map, full of maze-y forests, islands, towns, deserts, oceans, etc. The world is displayed isometrically, and you have complete character control and can explore as you please. There are also numerous dungeons that are full of puzzles, mazes, warps and monsters. One of the points of the game is to explore every corner of the world and the dungeons.

Monsters show up on the overworld / dungeon visibly. If you get close to the monster, it will show you how many enemies are in the encounter and what level the most prominent enemy is. Touching the monster will start a grid-based SRPG battle.

The battle system is too detailed to get into here. Watch a video to get an idea. I will say that it has quite a bit more differences than similarities compared to any other SRPG I know of.

I hope this helps.

+ wutdaheckman on November 4th, 2013 at 8:58 am said:

@desfar

thanks bud! very helpful

+ Apeman24 on November 4th, 2013 at 7:49 pm said:

Yes, getting some sweet SRPG action on the go.

+ Rizzytron on November 9th, 2013 at 12:57 pm said:

I have been waiting for this!! Thank you!

+ Specter087 on November 19th, 2013 at 1:25 pm said:

Will Rainbow Moon be a cross buy?

+ BaronBrain on November 22nd, 2013 at 3:48 pm said:

I’m sure this will likely be a futile question, but is there any chance of a standard retail version of the game(s) getting released anywhere in the world (i.e. NOT onl online via PSN)? I have no qualms paying a bit extra for a hardcopy of the game.

What can I say, for several reasons I never purchase games via online… I still go back and play titles from 20+ years ago, and when I buy a title, I should be able to still play it years from now without worrying if it’ll still even be up on the network… or if the network itself wil even still exist (yes, I’ve been screwed over this way before).

Thanks, and good luck with the games!

+ madagus on November 30th, 2013 at 8:41 am said: