PS4 - Destiny

Cleaning Up with Dustforce on PS3

Ryan Clements's Avatar + Posted by Ryan Clements on Nov 05, 2013 // Social Media Specialist

Dustforce, 11

Sprint, leap, and clean towards victory. Dustforce celebrates precision platforming, and embraces its 2D roots by spritzing the whole experience with colorful characters and a grooving anime twist. In Dustforce, players gun for the best time and most complete run through more than 50 stages.

Originally developed by a small indie team for the PC crowd, Capcom is bringing Dustforce to PS3 and PS Vita. All the charm and addictive play of the PC version returns, along with online multiplayer (ranked and private), shiny Trophies, and cross save support. Now the PlayStation community can train to become the greatest of ninja janitors the world has ever known.

The Capcom crew brought Dustforce by for Justin and me to play. Listen to our interview with them below, then read on for our full impressions.

Ryan Clements

Dustforce gives players room to breathe. At the start, stages are short, simple, and teach newcomers how to successfully navigate obstacles and clean up the most dust to achieve high scores. Jumps are cozy, and the levels themselves are designed to pull the player into a flow.

One run through a stage reveals the layout and enemy placement, as well as where players need to sweep up dust. Sometimes, one run is all it takes to complete the level. But in subsequent runs, experimentation and happy accidents coalesce into tangible knowledge of how to shave seconds off your completion time, and maximize dust cleaned up. This ups end-level ranks, and opens even harder stages to tackle.

Dustforce, 04

There are four characters to chose from at the onset of a stage. Though each character shares a basic set of controls, the four differ in their jump and dash distance, as well as their attack range. This allows players to find the perfect fit for each level, as well as select a style that works best for them. The differences of the four are subtle, but those subtleties have tremendous impact as players advance deeper and deeper into the thick challenge of later courses.

Fortunately, death and failure don’t sting in Dustforce like they do in other games. Stages are short enough to work through in less than a minute, which means pushing faster times and improving player ability is a more natural, well-paced commitment. And you look cool when you play well! One of the best rewards in gaming comes from that sense of style and skill rooted in a mastery of play.

Dustforce enables this with painless lessons and clear goals. It’s the kind of game to get lost in, even if it means messing up a few times just to get the feel of it. Sooner than later, you’ll be climbing the leaderboards like the best of them.

Dustgirl

Dustworth

Justin Massongill

This is a game that speaks to the perfectionist in me. The more you play Dustforce, the less tolerance you’ll have for even the smallest mistake; you can always shave another half-second off that run.

Your repertoire in Dustforce is not a big one, but every move counts: Jump, dash, wall-run, and attacks of varying power. I say “attacks” because “sweeping” doesn’t convey the energy implied by your characters’ animations — you are not a simple janitor; you are a highly trained dust-elimination machine.

It’s the wall-runs in particular that set Dustforce apart from other similarly-minded action platformers. Long jumps will seem impossible, and they would be if not for your ability to cling to a wall and run along it. You can dash or double-jump (triple-jump if you’re playing as Dustkid) once in the air, but landing on the ground or clinging to a wall resets this, allowing for some truly intense runs.

Dustforce, 06

Dustforce rewards momentum in a major way. As you flawlessly execute a run, your combo multiplier builds, eventually culminating in a super move (super sweep?) you can unleash on unsuspecting detritus. Miss that pixel-precise jump or whiff a dust cloud though, and kiss that multiplier goodbye. Remember that lack of tolerance for mistakes I mentioned above? This is where it hits the hardest.

By the way, this game gets hard. I got to try my hand at one of Dustforce’s sadistic secret levels, and it took me 20 minutes to get halfway through and finally give up. I foresee very few players conquering Dustforce’s more taxing stages. Of course, skipping straight to one of the hardest levels in a game isn’t the best way to play, but it’s encouraging to see that there’s something to work toward.

I’d be remiss not to mention Dustforce’s stellar soundtrack. Mixing chiptune beats with expertly crafted melodies, it provides a perfectly contrasted backdrop to the games frenetic, yet blissful action.

Dustforce is set to clean up on PS3 and PS Vita early next year — and I can’t wait.

Dustman

Dustkid

+ ManicJest on November 5th, 2013 at 10:15 am said:

Looking forward to this for my Vita!

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on November 5th, 2013 at 10:24 am said:

Me too! It might be the one that finally gets me off Spelunky.

+ Gorvi on November 5th, 2013 at 10:26 am said:

I remember hearing nothing but great things when this launched on Steam, I can’t wait for the Vita version. As for getting me away from Spelunky, I don’t think anything can do that at this point. It’s an addiction. :)

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on November 5th, 2013 at 10:34 am said:

Dustforce will be our new addiction.

+ akiratech on November 5th, 2013 at 10:27 am said:

Yes! this is great news i want all the great indie PC games to come over. Steam for me is gonna to be real lonely lol. WE NEED THIS THE “INDIE” LIST: Organ Trail,Dear Esther, Sir you are being hunted, The showdown effect, surgeon simulator (move support), Super Brothers, Bastion, and Monaco.

+ Man-is-Obsolete on November 5th, 2013 at 10:36 am said:

Looks awesome. My Vita is ready.

+ skelekey on November 5th, 2013 at 10:42 am said:

I watched a video and it seems fantastic. Shame I have to wait till next year to get this on vita.

+ naDOOFUS on November 5th, 2013 at 10:45 am said:

On the topic of curbing ones Spelunky addiction; The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is what I need.

+ Souledge94 on November 5th, 2013 at 10:47 am said:

I love the artstyle of the game. Looks pretty fun.

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on November 5th, 2013 at 2:51 pm said:

Me too. Great anime influence, I feel.

+ Gorvi on November 5th, 2013 at 10:47 am said:

@akiratech I’d love to see They Bleed Pixels, To The Moon, Dungeons of Dredmor, Legend of Grimrock. Q.U.B.E., FTL, Resonance, and Gunpoint. I love the indie games, but having them on the Vita gives me far more opportunity to play them.

+ Welmosca on November 5th, 2013 at 10:59 am said:

Oh yay PS3 and Vita?………thanks.Cant wait to try it out….I think this will be a perfect fit for Vita.

+ Anddo on November 5th, 2013 at 11:03 am said:

Can’t wait!

+ tusunami on November 5th, 2013 at 11:10 am said:

Now this is a unique title for PS Vita this I will definitely get. With more original games coming out for PS Vita & the price drop on Amazon for 179.00 more people should be picking the platform.

+ Tridus101 on November 5th, 2013 at 11:18 am said:

I’m loving these unique 2D old-school games the VITA is getting. Had a great time this weekend going through Hotline Miami.

+ missxtrish on November 5th, 2013 at 11:20 am said:

BEYOND!

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on November 5th, 2013 at 2:51 pm said:

Beyond!

+ Rezolution77 on November 5th, 2013 at 11:21 am said:

If it does not cost very much, I may consider it.

+ Rezolution77 on November 5th, 2013 at 11:22 am said:

I think I would rather see a remake of Ninja Gaidan or Master Blaster though.

+ XeahuleXolic on November 5th, 2013 at 11:58 am said:

epic

+ SirRamonTercero on November 5th, 2013 at 12:15 pm said:

I’ve played this one countless hours on PC, and i was always thinking how well this would play and look on my vita, so naturally i can’t wait to SS everything again! Also really looking forward to the local multiplayer on PS3.

+ Elvick_ on November 5th, 2013 at 12:18 pm said:

Can’t wait to play this on PS ita.

+ Zezzler on November 5th, 2013 at 2:09 pm said:

It’s great to see Hitbox Team’s classic game make its way to consoles. I seriously think that this is a perfect fit for Vita, and cannot wait to get my hands on it!

It’s too bad that it isn’t cross-buy, but I’m not too distraught about it.

+ Kchow23 on November 5th, 2013 at 4:13 pm said:

Remember playing this game back when on Gamemaker lots of fun :)

+ MrBendel on November 5th, 2013 at 4:39 pm said:

This looks amazing. Can’t wait to play it! And kudos to Capcom for doing something more indie.

+ TJF588 on November 5th, 2013 at 5:24 pm said:

Shame on me for still having not played Dustforce, despite having it on PC for months (and months?), even with a sterling recommendation, too. Through clicking links, happened to find this article written up on your site: http://hitboxteam.com/designing-game-narrative Definitely gonna have to give that a read. Choice quote I’ve seen: “Games with cutscenes are the silent films of games.”

+ Shadow_Raskolnik on November 5th, 2013 at 9:37 pm said:

I just started getting into the indie game explosion on the Vita starting with Hotline Miami, Lone Survivor, Guacamelee!, and Mutant Space Blobs. After watching some videos of this I think this will be a perfect fit on the Vita. Looking forward to picking it up in the future.

+ AgentIZeroI on November 6th, 2013 at 7:28 am said:

BEYOND!

great article, Clements!

+ deadmo5-346 on November 6th, 2013 at 6:14 pm said:

the game looks very awsome. But will it be online?

+ NinjaMicWZ on November 7th, 2013 at 2:39 pm said:

I’m looking forward to playing this on Vita so much. Dustforce has been collecting dust on my laptop, but I want to give it the proper love I know it deserves.

+ PrinceofXIII on November 10th, 2013 at 12:49 pm said: