God of War

Nov 05

Nov 05

The Guided Fate Paradox Out Today for PS3

David Alonzo's Avatar Posted by Idea Factory International

The Guided Fate Paradox Launch, 06

Hey, doods! Your humble Prinny David from NIS America again, and I’m here to ask: are you prepared? Have you made peace with your social life? Because The Guided Fate Paradox is finally upon us — out in stores today and on PlayStation Store. Now then, gather ye ’round, that we may bear witness to the glory that is this story-based roguelike!

In The Guided Fate Paradox, Renya Kagurazaka is an ordinary high school student who wins a mall lottery and becomes a god! Guided by an angel named Lilliel, he learns that a god’s job isn’t just sitting around in the clouds. He must help people (And mermaids, and zombies…) by guiding them to their proper fates — a task that can only be done in the Copy World, which renders each person’s fate into a different, randomly-generated dungeon. There, Renya can lay a hammer of judgment down on the aberrations holding these folks back from their fates.

And you don’t just have hammers, either. You’ve got tank treads, a Prinny hat, electric plug hands… there are hundreds of items you can equip, each with their own unique “Divine Skill” attached, which will help you blast your way through these dungeons. On top of that, you can also recruit an angel to help you out, each with his or her own angelic specialty, like healing, debuffing, or doubling up attacks.

The Guided Fate Paradox Launch, 02The Guided Fate Paradox Launch, 05

And guess what? Those angels also get to wear whatever equipment you want to throw at them, so you can customize every last bit of the game. You can also give them commands while traversing the dungeon to change how they act. Feeling a little greedy? Have them run around looking for treasure! Or maybe they’re low on health, in which case you can have them try to avoid enemies. It’s up to you and your playing style.

Sounds like a pretty rad package for a god, right? But wait, there’s more! The Divinigram system allows you and your angels to achieve permanent stat boosts and passive skills by getting your equipment to their breaking points so that they “Burst!” Not only does this strengthen you, but it allows you to repair and strengthen your items and, later, even synthesize them together to create crazy strong stuff.

Now that I’ve got you all excited about your equipment, let me bring up the fact that this is a story-driven roguelike in the same vein as Z.H.P.: Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman. What does that mean? Basically, when you die, you can say goodbye to what you have equipped and whatever you’re carrying, and your level will reset back to one.

The Guided Fate Paradox Launch, 04

The Guided Fate Paradox Launch, 03The Guided Fate Paradox Launch, 01

It’s okay, though, because whatever levels you’ve gained still count towards your base level, so you’re always stronger when you go back to brave the dungeon, and you’ll have access to safekeeping for your hard-won items. You’re a god, after all!

Such god-like powers require some beautiful presentation, and you’ll get that in spades with character design and artwork by Noizi Ito, the artist behind titles like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Shakugan no Shana. The game is enhanced with music by the band Yousei Teikoku, which brings an appropriate air of epic to the proceedings, and you’ll even get to see Yui from the band in the game.

The Guided Fate Paradox is out today. Hundreds of dungeons await you in this story-driven roguelike where customization lights your way! Harness your Divine Skills and call upon your angels to show this world and the Copy World who’s god! These fates aren’t going to guide themselves, after all!

Thanks for your support, and taking the time to read this! Prinny out, dood!

Add Your Own

Elvick_ said:

November 5th, 8:09 am

Just gotta wait for my Limited Edition to arrive. :D

S_T_O_N_E_ said:

November 5th, 8:11 am

Dood!

So.. It’s like disgaea?

David Alonzo's Avatar

David Alonzo said:

November 5th, 11:33 am

Hey S_T_O_N_E_,

Sort of! It’s more of a roguelike than an SRPG so instead of setting up your turn, executing everything, then moving onto the enemy’s turn, in this game enemies match every move you make in real time. Every time you move, attack, use an item, or do anything, the enemies will have a chance to be doing something as well.

The attacks are just as over-the-top as in Disgaea, though, and you also get to throw objects and characters!

Gorvi said:

November 5th, 8:13 am

So this is kind of like ZHP, right?

David Alonzo's Avatar

David Alonzo said:

November 5th, 11:19 am

Hey Gorvi,

Yep, it’s a roguelike just like ZHP! Also like ZHP, the story is a lot more involved for a roguelike.

Ryumoau said:

November 5th, 8:18 am

Why are these Nisa low budget jrpgs so overpriced? I enjoy the Atelier games on ps3 and the last Neptunia, but even those shouldn’t have been priced over $30.

I-Dusk-I said:

November 5th, 8:20 am

Great game. Got my LE copy yesterday. Are we getting the Guided Fate character DLC for Disgaea D2 today?

bldudas said:

November 5th, 8:25 am

My LE arrived yesterday, and I’m really enjoying this game so far.

oGMo said:

November 5th, 8:28 am

Insta-buy, been waiting for this one ALL YEAR, and the reviews I’ve seen are all positive. Yes this game is like ZHP, not Disgaea (though the two are not *so* far apart).

ein_nineteenth said:

November 5th, 8:53 am

I’m totally buying this…Once I get confirmation that NISA didn’t pull anything similar to Mugen Souls ie cheap out and only voice almost the entire main story.

seliosun said:

November 5th, 9:02 am

When can we expect it on the digital store?

perrandy said:

November 5th, 9:07 am

i will definitely try this game even tho i’m not a big fan of rogue likes.game premise sounds pretty interesting to say the least.the only thing that i’m not too sure is the going back to 1hp each time you lose.but either way i will try it,cuz who knows it may be actually a fun game :)

btw, is this game too difficult?oh and a shout out to the houk :P

detictiveconan said:

November 5th, 9:16 am

I’m interested in this but can’t shell out $50 right now because I’m saving for a PS4 .I was really hoping Z.H.P would go free for PS+ this month to promote this so I could try out the gameplay style.
But since that’s not happening is there any chance Z.H.P will be going on sale under $10 soon? I’ll have PSN credit from last months sale and I’ve been waiting for Z.H.P To hit that price before I buy it.

Lazaro_21 said:

November 5th, 9:26 am

Looks great, any chance of a vita port?

David Alonzo's Avatar

David Alonzo said:

November 5th, 11:33 am

Lazaro_21 –

No news on that! If that does happen, we’ll definitely let people know, dood!

FearMonkey said:

November 5th, 9:26 am

Pre-ordered the limited edition. I got no shipping notification even though it was billed. :(

geassuser87 said:

November 5th, 9:48 am

Love the opening music.

Great game to be ported to vita.

tusunami said:

November 5th, 9:54 am

Looks like a fun game so much to play must budget my time better.

Shadow_Kamui said:

November 5th, 10:11 am

i really need to play this game

DesmaBR said:

November 5th, 10:16 am

@ein_nineteenth – It’s fully voiced. NISA normally treat their internal games better.

Oh, just gotta wait for my paycheck to pick this up. Can’t wait, ZHP is my favorite PSP game

tearsofash said:

November 5th, 10:46 am

I knew some of the art design looked familiar! I’ve been skipping NISA games lately, but I might pick this one up.

David Alonzo's Avatar

David Alonzo said:

November 5th, 11:39 am

Hey tearsofash,

Yep, Noizi Ito did the artwork, and it’s gorgeous! If you pick up a Limited Edition from our online store, you’ll get a signed custom art print by Noizi Ito done exclusively for the game, in addition to a soundtrack, art book, and character cards, dood!

MapleStory said:

November 5th, 10:46 am

The game looks amazing and I LOVED ZHP as well. However, while on the topic of NIS roguelikes…

PLEASE give us a discount on Legasista!

primalmatrix2814 said:

November 5th, 12:31 pm

Unfortunately pre-order from Gamestop nor Amazon is still not out. There is always a delay. Same thing happens with every NIS game at GameStop.

primalmatrix2814 said:

November 5th, 12:32 pm

So how does your level set back to 1 when you die but you keep your stats for base level?

Seluhir said:

November 5th, 12:49 pm

@Primal I guess you’ll see when you play it ;)

I’m going to buy this digitally tonight, looking forward to it. :)

Red_Haze said:

November 5th, 3:07 pm

Does this game have any Dengeki cameos like ZHP did?

hakumen_wins said:

November 5th, 3:16 pm

First time hearing about it is this entry on the blog… I have too many games to play as is… I want new japanese games though…

Viewtiful_Gene said:

November 5th, 5:10 pm

Your localizations are the worst work I’ve seen on a videogame, not even the most awful game gets such a bad treatment, like getting such terrible translations, or getting so much content removed just because you are doing your “work” of “localizing” game, and you just keep doing an atrocious job.

Me, and a lot of people are done with you. Everyone should be disgusted with your work.
Awful “translations”, content removed, bugs everywhere when not a single bug was found on the original game, you don’t even bring all the content for your games!
I mean, SERIOUSLY?!

I really hope you go broke so you hand over the games to a better company (ANYTHING is better than you); the games you localize deserve so much better… but you keep F-ing everything up.

You can’t even accept a single criticism, you just cry and whine, and just keep F-ing everything.

I would be interested in this game, The Guided Fate Paradox, but I already know what can we expect… by the videos I already know it has a terrible translation.

We won’t continue to support you. We won’t support this atrocity to videogames anymore.

Oh and good luck with your Mugen Flops Z aka No Sells Z.

Elvick_ said:

November 5th, 6:33 pm

@25: “a lot of people” heh… you are the first person I’ve ever seen whine so much about NISA.

Shoo with your butthurt.

SonicTheNanobot2 said:

November 5th, 8:47 pm

Curse you NIS! You gave me Disgaea on my vita and now I just want to throw money at you!

Anyway, I’ll probably pick this up eventually, as it looks great.

Seluhir said:

November 6th, 7:43 am

Wow… someone’s angry. lol

pikmin44 said:

November 6th, 2:38 pm

This actually looks pretty interesting. I might have to pick it up!

PrinceofXIII said:

November 10th, 12:49 pm

good stuff!

and yeah, to be honest most western companies nowadays have terrible translations of Japanese games.

though some games that aren’t story heavy is not a problem, but for games like this can be problem.

i think Square Enix(well there’s still some issues) and Nintendo, Namco and Sega are the only ones that does a great job on localizing and translating games as faithfully as possible.

and lol don’t even mention Atlus US. they’re terrible at translating games, censoring names changing them as well as cutting content