Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Nov 07

More Ways to Play Knack: Co-op Mode, Mobile App Detailed

Nick Accordino's Avatar Posted by Nick Accordino on Nov 07, 2013 // Associate Project Manager, SCEA

Hello, everyone. We’re just a little over a week away from the launch of PS4, and I can’t wait for everyone to finally get their hands on Knack. If you’re looking for a taste of something different, something a little more old-school, Knack is the perfect PS4 game for you. With Knack, not only are we taking gamers back to the days of classic games like Crash Bandicoot, we’re also introducing some new and unique ways to experience the game.

We have a unique two-player coop mode that puts a fun twist on traditional co-op games and is a great reason to pick up an extra DualShock 4 controller. If you own a PS Vita, there’s of course Remote Play, which can even work in conjunction with our two-player co-op. We have a fun social connectivity feature that lets you unlock collectibles faster through your network of PSN friends, and finally, we have a brand new standalone mobile game app called Knack’s Quest. I’m here to talk about all of these today.

Knack, 05Knack, 06

Knack’s co-op is a little different from some cooperative games you may have played. From the very beginning, Knack was meant to be both a challenging and rewarding old-school style character action game, as well an accessible “gateway” title for gamers to initiate their friends and family members into the joys of true console gaming. On Normal or Hard, the game can be brutally challenging and very rewarding. But with simple controls and Easy mode, even new players can experience the world of Knack.

Knack, 04Knack, 09

In Knack, our two-player cooperative mode was designed in a way that accentuates the vision for the game. A second player can drop in or out at any time, and control Knack’s shiny metallic helper, Robo Knack. Robo Knack has a move set somewhat similar to Knack’s, but can donate parts to Knack and heal him with a touch of the Triangle button. If there’s a non-gamer or light gamer in the house, this is a great way to introduce them to the world of Knack – just start the game on Easy and drop in from time to time to help them through the game.

Oh, and if you enjoyed the smack fests in LittleBigPlanet, you’ll find some fun in smacking your on-screen partner when he or she least expects it.

As you play through Knack’s story mode, you’ll no doubt find walls and doors that are begging to be smashed, burnt down or otherwise destroyed. There are over 60 of these rooms — some are out in the open, but some are a little trickier to find. Inside these rooms, you’ll find a chest that holds a collectible item: either a gadget part, or a rare Crystal Relic.

Knack, 02

There are eight gadgets in all, and each requires anywhere from 3 to 7 parts to complete. Once you complete a gadget, Knack can equip it to enhance his abilities or add new ones. A few of my favorite gadgets are the Combo Meter, which allows Knack to boost his attack strength by hitting enemies 8 times in a row without taking damage himself, and the Harvester, which lets Knack collect sunstones from defeated enemies. In these chests you may also find Crystal Relics, like diamonds or rubies. If you find enough of any single kind of rare Relic, you’ll unlock a new form of Knack to use in a second play-through of the game. Each Knack variation has different characteristics such as super strength, super fragility, etc.

Knack, 07Knack, 01

Finding these secret rooms and collecting gadget parts and Relics is fun, but it’s even more fun when you have friends playing the game as well. Whenever you find a secret chest, you’ll be able to either take the item you found in the chest, or choose any item a friend found in that same room the last time they played. This can really come in handy when you’re trying to complete those gadgets or unlock that last Knack variant. Your gadget collection even carries over to new playthroughs, so you can work on getting all eight handy gadgets.

You’ll also find secret areas holding more parts to help you heal and grow, as well as Sunstone crystals to fill up your super move gauge.

Knack, 13Knack, 12

Lastly, we just launched a new mobile game app called Knack’s Quest as a FREE download for iOS devices (Android version coming soon). This game is a standalone three-in-a-row jewel game featuring Knack himself. Gather parts to help Knack grow before the time runs out to clear the level. Unlock endless mode by beating all levels, and post your scores in global and friend rankings.

Knack, 11Knack, 10

What’s more, you can also unlock gadget parts and rare Relics for use in the full Knack game on PS4. Once PS4 launches on November 15th, there will be an update to the mobile app that connects it to the PS4 game, allowing you to transfer all of your unlocked items over to your full game. Even if you don’t have a knack for these kinds of games (excuse the pun), you can enlist a friend or family member to work on unlocking items for you.

We’d love to hear your thoughts about the game and co-op mode in the comments below! Look out for Knack on November 15th!

PAGE 1 2

+ Apeman24 on November 7th, 2013 at 9:27 am said:

Great to see a co-op game. I am buying two controllers, and the fact that I can use my Vita as well is great.

+ TimMalouff on November 7th, 2013 at 9:55 am said:

@ninth_prey I am talking about the PS4 LEGO Marvel Superheroes game.

Also a co-op game but on say a PS3 or Xbox 360 it splits the screen so you can go in different directions (It does not always force you to be on the same screen like Skylanders or I am assuming Knack will).

I think the PS4 experience with a Vita will be like (from what I heard) the experience is like on a Wii U version of the game.

That is instead of splitting the screen like the PS3 and Xbox 360 does one player gets the big TV screen and the second player gets the gamepad screen. That game however will sometimes need you to cooperate to open areas of the game as you each get different powers unless on freeplay.

Try looking on Youtube for some videos when out of work.

+ race2winnet on November 7th, 2013 at 11:16 am said:

Why isn’t Knack’s Quest on PSM?

+ Brooklyn008 on November 7th, 2013 at 1:54 pm said:

This, with my son. Perfect. Can’t wait.

+ CrusaderForever on November 7th, 2013 at 2:07 pm said:

Looks great and the COOP looks really fun! Just downloaded Knack Quest and will give it a try in few minutes. Already preordered on PSN! Only 8 days to go! Greatness Awaits!

+ xeno3d on November 7th, 2013 at 2:35 pm said:

Knack is sitting on my desk waiting to be played on 11/15, can’t wait! Please tell me that Knack has remote play for Vita because it’s not listed on the back of the box.

+ PanTheMan16 on November 7th, 2013 at 2:59 pm said:

Is it possible for multiple people (on multiple devices) to link their Knack’s Quest game to the same PSN account?

+ sekaniy on November 7th, 2013 at 3:03 pm said:

Glad to see such a fun and interesting game. There is still hope out there!! Keep it up. All of us are not FPS drones. Great games are good for adults and kids alike!

+ Groovy341 on November 7th, 2013 at 3:00 pm said:

Being an Android user feels like being ____ on a lot. Why do companies release one version of something before the other is ready? Honest question, I’d like to know what goes into making the decision to release the iOS version before the Android version is ready to go.

+ nervehammer on November 7th, 2013 at 3:07 pm said:

I heard that you can go and pick up KNACK at gamestop right now is that true anyone know?

+ xeno3d on November 7th, 2013 at 4:10 pm said:

@44 and Best Buy. I already picked up Knack, COD Ghosts, Killzone Shadow Fall and the Playstation camera. Tomorrow I will be getting Madden 25 and Battlefield 4

+ cheesystuff on November 7th, 2013 at 5:02 pm said:

Can you use two Vitas or is it not even possible to register more than one at once?

+ tusunami on November 7th, 2013 at 6:05 pm said:

I am now much more interested in this game now because there’s co-op amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

+ BigBuddhaBoss on November 7th, 2013 at 7:24 pm said:

I picked up Knack on Tuesday, and I’m getting very anxious just staring at the case. Counting down the days only helps slightly :)

But yes, Knack is looking like the game I play first on the PS4. Don’t get me wrong, FPS is a fun genre, but it’s been so watered down and repetitive the last few years. Knack is going to be a fresh breath of air. It really does take me back to the days of Crash 2 on the PSone!

+ FINEST on November 7th, 2013 at 7:47 pm said:

Thats it im sold im buying it!

+ TheCraZyCloWn on November 7th, 2013 at 7:59 pm said:

I never considered this game until my fiancé and I tried the coop mode at the PlayStation Booth in Montreal this week.

We also received a 20$ credit towards the purchase of this game thus making this a 39.99 purchase – Thank you Sony.

We have decided to buy an additional controller and this game along with Battlefield and Killzone + Warframe (arggg DriveClub and WatchDogs have been delayed but I have enough to keep myself busy until next year)

+ Elvick_ on November 7th, 2013 at 8:49 pm said:

@42: Because the iOS version is done. It’s easier for developers to support iOS because the hardware is limited, while android has countless phones and tablets. Find a review without compatibility issues on Google Play store. Get used to it or buy an iPhone or iPad instead.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on November 8th, 2013 at 6:58 am said:

so no ONLINE CO-OP?..-___-

+ Joe_W-UK on November 8th, 2013 at 8:26 am said:

Hi Nick.. I’m really looking forward to this game even if in the UK we have to wait longer than US :( .. It’s refreshing to find this kind of adventure on Playstation as a good iconic platformer is well over-due! Gonna be nostalgic playing this with 2 controllers co-op :) Can I ask when the UK release of the Knack app will be released (android version)?

+ Dafreakzo on November 8th, 2013 at 10:37 am said:

I cannot wait for the Android app!

+ tigres7882 on November 8th, 2013 at 4:55 pm said:

When is the mobile app going to be available on Android? I mean we do have Sony phones we are the ones supporting sony, and also, is it going to be available for the PS Vita too?

+ KRONOS-- on November 8th, 2013 at 5:42 pm said:

I am really looking forward to this game. Should be a lot of fun and I will check out the free game app as well. Best of luck on your success!!

+ KevinChaos on November 8th, 2013 at 6:04 pm said:

So… it sounds like the android version won’t be released until after the PS4 launches. I hope that’s not the case. iOS users have a week to earn things to use in-game, and we won’t have that time for android. :(

If my friend plays the game on their iOS device, will it be able to sync to my ps4 as well as my own android version too? or can it only sync data for one?

+ CrispyCanuk on November 8th, 2013 at 9:15 pm said:

@51 as someone who has developed for Android I have to say that I am sick and tired of people bandying about false information about how its “harder” to develop for Android. Its no harder than developing for PC, as long as you develop for the right version (ie as low as your feature set allows). If they released whatever apk they had ready now, 90% of people would be able to use it without any problems. Its only highly restrictive devices that ever have any problem (and its usually from specific hardware manufactures)

Saying “buy an ios device” is rather condescending and your attitude is why many people buy android in the first place, so we don’t have to use Ios.

The problem is that the Android version isn’t released at the same time as the Ios one creating a [perceived / actual] disadvantage for more than half of the mobile device market when the app can affect gameplay. The solution is simple, delay the Ios one until the android is ready or better yet…actually plan your development cycle properly and make sure a simultaneous release is possible so half your customers aren’t pissed off at you for something that is 100% fixable.

+ xeno3d on November 9th, 2013 at 8:51 pm said:

Got to play Knack today at my local Gamestop. I loved every second of it! Amazing and fun game. Can’t wait to play the full game on Friday!

+ NDGO on November 10th, 2013 at 7:31 am said:

It’s great to see old school co-op in use again. I think a lot of game maker are forgetting that people still like playing games with friends on the same couch. I wish more games would incorporate this. Will be getting this and will be playing with my nephew.

+ Dafreakzo on November 12th, 2013 at 10:43 am said:

@op Where is the Android app? Our PS4’s should be here soon and we would like to complete the Quest game prior to playing the PS4 game!

+ BrokenEdges on November 15th, 2013 at 12:58 pm said:

Does anyone here know how to get the local co-op to work in Knack….i have 2 ds4s if that helps anyone.

+ Skater_Ricky on November 16th, 2013 at 1:42 pm said:

Please add Online Coop, I’ve been playing Knack so far and I feel left out while playing by myself. No couch buddies, no second controller. Need to add Online Co-op please. Having Online Coop would bring allot of fun to the already enjoyable game.

+ andyfatsax on November 17th, 2013 at 4:20 pm said:

I’ve been searching for an hour trying to find co-op mode….HELP, someone please tell me if you know the trick to playing local co-op!

+ DJ_Erubus on November 17th, 2013 at 9:27 pm said:

Co-op mode = second controller presses PS button, then press X to start playing as a mini-Knack

+ ChunderHog on November 18th, 2013 at 5:17 am said:

DJ_Erubus told you the answer before I could. It took me two days to figure it out. Mostly because I was also battling the PS4 not remembering my ID every time I put it in standby.

+ solo013 on November 26th, 2013 at 1:41 pm said:

I would love to see an adroid app come out at the same time as the ios app. Unfortunately, now nothing will even go on my android because it was one of the first ones. Oh well it looks cool though.

+ FdT81 on December 3rd, 2013 at 6:57 am said:

Hey, so I have the app but the gadgets are not transferred to the game yet. How is that done?

+ refriedchicken on December 6th, 2013 at 12:14 pm said:

Is there any word on the Android App?

+ refriedchicken on December 6th, 2013 at 12:15 pm said:

nevermind last post, found it in the store had the wrong name.

+ Craphex on November 7th, 2013 at 7:07 am said:

By second player do you mean a second controller, or is it not local coop?

Nick Accordino's Avatar

+ Nick Accordino on November 7th, 2013 at 8:56 am said:

I see Elvick’s helping me out below, but yes, it’s local co-op!

+ Elvick_ on November 7th, 2013 at 7:09 am said:

These mobile companion apps should be on PS Vita as well.

I’d play them on there.

+ Elvick_ on November 7th, 2013 at 7:10 am said:

@1: It’s local.

+ sciteach on November 7th, 2013 at 7:11 am said:

i agree with elvick! i don’t see why the apps wouldn’t be on the Vita!

+ G-Force08 on November 7th, 2013 at 7:13 am said:

This is my only confirmed PS4 launch game. Looks great! I do have one question about Remote Play co-op though.

In order to play co-op with remote play, do you still have to have two Dualshock 4 controllers? Or can you have one Dualshock 4 while the Vita is used as player 2’s controller?

Nick Accordino's Avatar

+ Nick Accordino on November 7th, 2013 at 7:21 am said:

Hey G-Force – You can play co-op completely with a DS4 and a VITA. 2nd Dualshock 4 isn’t necessary, but I’d still suggest one – have you felt how nice it is? :)

+ Danji on November 7th, 2013 at 7:19 am said:

The mobile app is surprisingly fun. It’s a bejeweled-esque game that doesn’t add overly annoying mechanics like most versions of that game do. It’s definitely worth a free download.

Nick Accordino's Avatar

+ Nick Accordino on November 7th, 2013 at 7:21 am said:

Thanks Danji! We appreciate the kind words!

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on November 7th, 2013 at 7:21 am said:

When is it releasing on android’s google play store?

+ judasgoat on November 7th, 2013 at 7:25 am said:

Why not also release it on Playstation Mobile? It seems logical…

+ PhilESkyline on November 7th, 2013 at 7:29 am said:

Just so I’m clear, this Knack co-op is local only meaning I won’t be able to play with my brother who lives 30 miles from me?

+ NoPity_21 on November 7th, 2013 at 7:30 am said:

I would think that be cool to play coop with controller and other player gets vita you wouldn’t have to be in the same room I hope more games implement coop in this way for future or just make a game that uses this feature exclusively

+ electronicpart on November 7th, 2013 at 7:31 am said:

Pre ordering NOW

+ Gorvi on November 7th, 2013 at 7:31 am said:

Is there an ETA on the Android app more specific than “soon”? Or a window at least?

Nick Accordino's Avatar

+ Nick Accordino on November 7th, 2013 at 9:06 am said:

Hey Gorvi – looking at launching it within a week or two. (Nailing it down as we speak.) Please stay tuned!

+ MakoSOLIDER on November 7th, 2013 at 7:31 am said:

Since the Android version doesnt exist yet you might as well as release it on PS Mobile instead. Then I can actually play it since I only have a Vita for a mobile device.

+ DRellx4 on November 7th, 2013 at 7:31 am said:

Are there areas in the game that require co-op in order to be accessed?

PAGE 1 2