Final Fantasy XV

Nov 11

Nov 11

inFAMOUS Second Son Hands-On

Ryan Clements's Avatar Posted by Senior Specialist, SIEA Social Media

Infamous Second Son, 02

Things don’t go as planned for Delsin Rowe, the smug but likeable hero of inFAMOUS Second Son. Following the catastrophic events that shook the world in the first two games, Delsin’s super-powered status as a Conduit is laid bare after exposure to other superhumans. Delsin can absorb the powers of others, and then employ them for his own devices. He has serious potential, and that immense potential was on display during the PS4 launch event here in New York City this week.

This third-person, superhero action game already looks electric running on PS4, with fluid animations and sharp bursts of light around every rain-soaked corner. At the event, we join Delsin and his cop brother Reggie as they attempt to pass through a Department of Unified Protection (DUP) security checkpoint. Their dark, menacing uniforms stand in stark contrast with the bright yellows of warning signs that litter the scene.

But unfortunately for Delsin, things don’t go as planned.

Sure enough, Delsin’s spectacular abilities trigger an automated warning at the checkpoint, and the DUP descends upon him with rifles ready. This is where the first playable section of Second Son begins. I grabbed the DualShock 4 with an appropriate level of eagerness (see: extensive), and put Delsin through his paces.

Infamous Second Son, 01

Second Son feels just as it should in the inFAMOUS family, with an addictive fusion of melee combat and projectile play. Once again, Sucker Punch has approached traversal carefully and with a great attention to detail.

The first power on display is smoke, which gives Delsin some great ways to move around. Our hero can burst apart into gouts of red and black, whipping right through obstacles and towards targets. All it takes is a press of the Circle button, but the momentum this move generates is exhilarating and practical, providing Delsin with much needed control of the battle space.

Like past inFAMOUS games, Delsin can also leap up onto cars and launch off of them with more inky explosions, gaining additional height and tactical options. In fact, explosions (and, more specifically, their remnants) fuel Delsin’s smoke abilities — much like Cole’s beloved electricity. By standing near a ruined car or fire that’s belching smoke, Delsin can absorb it into himself for some extra super juice. A fine meal for any smoke-powered protagonist.

Delsin can move around all day, but he still has some very angry DUP soldiers to deal with. Using his chain and shots of smoke, Delsin chews through the opposition with style. Each tap of the Square button peppers targets with sizzling blasts that come in both light and heavy varieties. The heavy, “shotgun” blasts are capable of tearing down guard towers, along with any unfortunate soldiers staffing them at the time of demolition.

Infamous Second Son, 05

Infamous Second Son, 03Infamous Second Son, 04

Delsin has a few more tricks up his sleeve, however. Our hero can drain the humming charge of neon signs and take on those powers for himself. Yes, “neon” can be a power, and it’s rad from top to bottom. Delsin’s blast becomes a bright streak of light, and his new, neon dash can send him flashing up the sides of walls in a glorious display of color. Sucker Punch is tightlipped on the other applications this power will provide, but the mind races at the possibilities.

The demo ends on Delsin face-to-face with a hulking soldier and his chaingun pal. But even the extra padding isn’t enough to save the soldier from Delsin’s tentatively named “karma bomb,” which sends our hero up into the air and back down again in a screen-wide attack.

inFAMOUS Second Son looks and plays like a dream, and makes our wait for Delsin’s story all the harder to bear. Expect increased smoke levels in Seattle come early next year, when Second Son drops on PS4.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

almex2 said:

November 11th, 3:22 pm

I want a PS4 for this game

mitchbel1996 said:

November 11th, 3:23 pm

That Neon power in action. Wow…

xeno3d said:

November 11th, 3:24 pm

Can’t wait for this game! Will there a demo soon?

Where_Iz_JP said:

November 11th, 3:26 pm

This will be the game that’s make me buy a PS4.

Fergi21 said:

November 11th, 3:26 pm

Absolutely cannot wait for this game! Thursday night getting my PS4 and then I start anticipating InFamous!

Ryan Clements's Avatar

Ryan Clements said:

November 11th, 3:30 pm

The anticipation begins!

Berae said:

November 11th, 3:27 pm

This is my most anticipated game I think! even if Infamous 2 disappointed me a bit compared to the first one, I like this franchise!

mitchbel1996 said:

November 11th, 3:29 pm

Seriously, we have to get a trailer soon (15th). Just give me all that neon awesomeness!!!

memortally said:

November 11th, 3:32 pm

Sounds great and I am pretty sure it looks amazing in motion. As a gamer I am dying to see new IP from sucker punch. Don’t get me wrong infamous universe is amazing (can’t wait for second son though) but IMO sucker punch became TOP quality devoloper right now and can’t wait to see what new ideas and world can they brought to gamers. What about linear action/adventure game with movie like moments (without qte lol )

Sum-Mischief said:

November 11th, 3:43 pm

This is one of the ps4 killer Apps

HitmanRebornEX said:

November 11th, 3:43 pm

got it preordered already gonna kill this next year =D cant wait

NintendoTim said:

November 11th, 3:47 pm

Oh, be honest: “neon” is just another of saying “electricity.” It’s also a way to get around the issue that is the inability to play as Cole.

<< Big Infamous fan, eager for I:SS.

PharmBoY044 said:

November 11th, 3:48 pm

Hey Ryan,

The screenshots are looking really good. That neon power sounds like is gonna be a lot of fun to play with.
Do you happen to know if this is still releasing in February 2014? I know there hasn’t been a release date announced but on your former co-worker’s (Greg Miller) show, they mentioned that this would be released in February 2014.
I just wanted to make that was still the case.

Thanks!

Mobius2525 said:

November 11th, 3:59 pm

I wish this was a launch game.

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

November 11th, 4:04 pm

a video wouldve been alot nicer..but i guess some nice cool pics will do..although the game does look great..and i cant wait to find out what the story is all about..I CAN WAIT..till they release a game that i can still enjoy after i completed the story..in other words im looking forward to some uncharted,god of war or Starhawk..or better yet a new SOCOM!! i got my fiingers crossed for next year..till then i shall be putting alot of time on GTA ONLINE…as soon as it can be played on the PS4..i will jump on that wagon :p

MachoMoustachio said:

November 11th, 4:08 pm

“I don’t wanna lose you know… lookin’ right at the other half of me.”

herbalsticky said:

November 11th, 4:19 pm

“I don’t wanna close my eyes, I don’t wanna fall asleep cuz I might miss this game and I don’t wanna miss this game..”

thunderbear said:

November 11th, 4:21 pm

Looks insanely good. Outside of Killzone and Watch Dogs, this is my most anticipated next-gen game at the moment (that I’ve seen gameplay footage from).

L1N3M4X- said:

November 11th, 4:25 pm

I want the collectors edition of that game NOW!

myuunokiseki said:

November 11th, 4:26 pm

SUCKER PUUUUNCH FTW.

solid--raiden said:

November 11th, 4:57 pm

Ryan I believe the title “powerhouse” belongs to infamous now. That game looks exquisite. Keep up the great work and always remember be good and BEYOND!

AizawaYuuichi said:

November 11th, 5:06 pm

@ PharmBoY044: Jack Tretton announced on-stage at E3 that it was releasing in February 2014. Until someone official (i.e. with Sony) says otherwise, I’d figure it’s a safe bet to make.

Really, really looking forward to this game. I was sure that I2 was the end of the franchise, so getting more inFAMOUS is amazing. Sucker Punch keeps outdoing themselves. Would love to get a downloadable trailer for this on the PS4 soon after launch, so I can watch it every day!

Unit68matthew said:

November 11th, 5:14 pm

My most anticipated PS4 game! BEYOND!

NoGodsOnlyMan said:

November 11th, 5:14 pm

Ryan BEYOND!

Infamous franchise on PS3 is right at the top for me, and when infamous second son releases i will buy a PS4. I will buy the Collectors Edition for sure

swan-ton-bom said:

November 11th, 5:31 pm

@11, not necessarily, yes electromagnetism produces light, but light is a category of its own. Cole’s powers were electricity (mainly) and magnetism (to some degree, but you can never seperate the two).

Alv325Ci said:

November 11th, 5:42 pm

Second Son looks amazing. I believe they’ve confirmed that the game is locked at 30 FPS. Has there been any word as to what resolution it runs at?

PharmBoY044 said:

November 11th, 5:44 pm

@ AizawaYuuichi Thanks. I hadn’t realized that Jack Tretton had mentioned a release date at E3. Really looking forward to playing this game.

XeahuleXolic said:

November 11th, 6:15 pm

it looks amazing!!

boomstickbhg said:

November 11th, 6:16 pm

Got my copy pre ordered.

Looking forward to a release date.

With no Watch Dogs, the current next gen line up is a bit weak until games like this drop.

togue said:

November 11th, 6:27 pm

1080p60?

tusunami said:

November 11th, 6:46 pm

The infamous series is very great can’t wait to get the collector’s ed. PS4 day 1 shipping I’m out!!!!!!!!!

Spazgadget said:

November 11th, 6:55 pm

My anticipation for this game is mindblowing.

Also, Ryan Clements, so happy to see you back in the business and even happier you’re over at Sony. You were missed!

saab01 said:

November 11th, 7:15 pm

Looks really nice cant believe this game isn’t creating more of a buzz.

Graywolffe said:

November 11th, 8:41 pm

CLEMENTS!!! Good to see ya’ up @ Sony. They scored a lot of talent from IGN. Great preview. I wasn’t the biggest fan of the PS3’s Infamous games; but even I am gettin’ interested in this one. Power effects looks very fluid.

TheCraZyCloWn said:

November 11th, 8:57 pm

kool stuff

Adorable69KSA said:

November 11th, 9:30 pm

I would pay 1000$ to change my user ID i mean look at it! it’s a clusterfuc*

Back to the point take you’re time with the game we don’t want a Buggy version of it :)

UsCoMmAnDeR said:

November 11th, 9:48 pm

BEYOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cedrob09 said:

November 11th, 9:52 pm

I have this game in my GF GameQ. Pre ordered PS4 in June. Traded in my PS3 and Dualshock controllers and games at my local GS for the PS4 camera and a extra Dualshock 4 controller. Let the freaking games begin!

tonydamiani said:

November 11th, 10:16 pm

Got this Game Pre-Ordered and Paid!! Can’t wait!

icurafuse said:

November 11th, 10:53 pm

Can I suggest that all PS4 games include the Vita RemotePlay button mapping in the store?

I’m always going to want to spend a lot of time playing my PS4 games on my Vita, while my GF watches TV. So, having well thought out controls is important. There is a big difference between being clever, or just dumping it onto the back panel like one PS4 game I tried.

I also think that RemotePlay games should allow a player to fall back to customising their own controls, if the default controls are too bad.

I’m really looking forwards to see how creative developers can be to make the games work on the Vita. If you see existing Vita games like KillZone, Uncharted and Resistance; you’ll see how a clever mapping of controls can make a big difference.

SweetReLeaf said:

November 12th, 1:31 am

Praying they’ll be a PS4 bundle with this game on its release (fingers cross)

GeoDarky said:

November 12th, 4:01 am

Open-world with super powers at glorious 1080p, SuckerPunch you guys won!

andremal said:

November 12th, 5:07 am

The anticipation began when I completed Infamous 2! The original Infamous was the title that really grabbed ahold of me and began my journey to PS exclusivity in my home. 2nd Son is looking absolutely fantastic and I can’t wait to take it for a spin! Ryan, you are getting some awesome hands on opportunities! Congrats!

wshqjc said:

November 12th, 6:15 am

This game is in the queue of my must-buy games. I would take it home when I buy a ps4 console in store. Though the precessors didn’t get much receptions and became famous as other third-person action games, inFAMOUS the second son has already surpassed its precessors and will be successful.

Alyyse said:

November 12th, 7:03 am

That neon looks pretty good.

gib_darkfire said:

November 12th, 7:10 am

I cannot wait for this game. I am waiting until it comes out to get my ps4 however. I am hoping that they will release a bundle package for both the console and the game. Does anyone know or have any idea as to weather or not they will be doing this? Releasing a PS4/ InFamous: Second Son bundle????

Odikay said:

November 12th, 7:17 am

I know for a fact that these Neon Powers belonged to ‘Fetch’. I’m just hoping you dont have to kill her to aquire them. i’m totally not cool with that

Glaplayer627 said:

November 12th, 7:17 am

I want it so bad!

VG_JUNKY said:

November 12th, 7:45 am

Honestly haven’t been interested in infamous since the 1st one on ps3 and I’ve gotta say it looks interesting this time around. I might even get it :)

xLastGambit said:

November 12th, 8:10 am

Gameplay is looking fun. What a gorgeous looking title too.

KrisButtar said: