Street Fighter V

Nov 12

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Coming to PS Vita on February 11th, 2014

David Alonzo's Avatar Posted by David Alonzo on Nov 12, 2013 // Idea Factory International

Danganronpa_ Trigger Happy Havoc, 02

Hey, doods! It’s your humble Prinny David from NIS America here to school you with a cohesive thesis on our upcoming title, Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc — a revised and revamped edition of the very first Danganronpa that appeared on PSP in Japan in 2010. The game is set to release on February 11th in North America, exclusively on PS Vita — just in time for Valentine’s Day! You guys ready to fall in love with some ultimate brutality?

In Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, you take on the role of Makoto Naegi — an excruciatingly ordinary teenager who one day finds himself accepted into Hope’s Peak Academy. This is an ultra-prestigious school meant only for the best and the brightest and basically anyone but the ordinary. Some of Makoto’s fellow classmates include Leon, the Ultimate Baseball Star; Chihiro, the Ultimate Programmer; and Sayaka, the Ultimate Pop Sensation, so what’s a guy like Makoto doing here?

Looks like Makoto’s got enough to deal with trying to find his place amongst Japan’s teen elite, but things get a little tougher when he suddenly falls unconscious and finds himself rudely awakened by an evil black and white robot bear calling himself Monokuma. He announces to the students that they’re all locked in, and the only way out is to kill another student and get away with it. Pretty much the beginning of every high school movie ever. There’s a catch, though – if you get outed as the killer, then you’ll face Monokuma’s deadly punishment, and if you do get away with murder, you’ll be dooming your other classmates to death.

Danganronpa_ Trigger Happy Havoc, 03Danganronpa_ Trigger Happy Havoc, 06

Still, it doesn’t take long before your classmates start scrabbling for the outside and end up killing each other in the process. So much for the best of the best! Now it’s up to you to investigate each murder, hold forth in trial, and discover the psycho bear’s ultimate motive so you can escape from this forsaken high school.

The gameplay is similar to the investigative nature of the Phoenix Wright series, with a dash of 999 and Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward storytelling thrown in. You’ll begin each chapter in “Daily Life” mode, roaming the campus and speaking with your fellow classmates to find out what makes them tick. The more you get to know characters, the better your relationship with each of them will be, which can be improved by giving them gifts you think they’d like.

You might think, “Why would I need to be friends with these people? I just wanna get out of here!” and you could do that, but improving relationships unlocks skills, which come into play a little later.

After this benign period of how-do-you-do, someone always ends up a little murdered, and you’re quickly thrust into the investigative mode of “Deadly Life.” During this time, you’ll utilize the analog sticks or tap the touch screen to scour the school and crime scenes for clues. You’ll need to pay attention to every detail and conversation you have here, because once you’ve gathered enough evidence on what went down, Monokuma will gather all the students and begin…

The class trial. This is where you’ll employ all your gumshoe work in some fast-paced rounds of timing- and rhythm-based minigames. Your classmates will try to come at you with misinformation, but you’ll literally shoot their words down with Truth Bullets — facts that you’ve gained to dispute their lies. Now remember those skills I mentioned earlier that you gain from relationships? Here’s your chance to use them! You can equip skills like “Robot Jock,” which increases your Truth Bullet rate of fire, or “Lost in Thought,” which increases trial time limits — all to aid you in your quest for the truth.

Danganronpa_ Trigger Happy Havoc, 11

As you hone in on a suspect, they’ll become more and more defensive and the gameplay will switch to a rhythm-based section where you’ll tap a button or the screen in time to clear the air of their protestations. Throw in some word puzzles and crime scene comics and you’ve got yourself the most high-stakes mock trial high school’s ever seen!

As you unmask the killers, you’ll raise even more questions. What’s the real story behind Hope’s Peak Academy? Why does this murderous little bear hate high school kids so much? And could there be an even more sinister force behind this twisted game…? Steel yourself against falsehoods and arm yourself with the facts — surviving high school has never been this deadly.

Keep an eye out for Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc in February, and remember: “One truth prevails!” Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to put on my deerstalker cap and investigate who stole my sardines…

Until next time — Prinny out, dood!

PAGE 1 2

+ Todoh789 on November 12th, 2013 at 10:28 am said:

How big will the game be on US PSN? If it’s more than 1GB I may get it retail, otherwise I am so hype for my GotY 2014 contender X3

+ starspd11 on November 12th, 2013 at 10:31 am said:

I’ve played the fan translation by Project Zetsubou and I absolutely loved it. I wasn’t a fan of visual novel before, but after playing the PSP version of this game, I was hooked. This is a day one purchase for me when this comes out, I just wished it was sooner.

+ zeothedeathgod on November 12th, 2013 at 10:32 am said:

can’t wait! really worried we won’t get the second one though >.>

David Alonzo's Avatar

+ David Alonzo on November 12th, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

Hey zeothedeathgod,

We’d definitely want to localize the second one if the first gets a positive reception in the West, dood!

+ Mando44646 on November 12th, 2013 at 10:33 am said:

that sounds really interesting. And visually it looks a hella like Persona 4 Golden. I’m interested

+ liammill18 on November 12th, 2013 at 10:34 am said:

Absolutely can’t wait for this!

+ Monterossa on November 12th, 2013 at 10:44 am said:

NISA! please localize Ciel no Surge, the new Atelier Rorona, and both Neptunia rebirths.

+ vinardus on November 12th, 2013 at 10:44 am said:

Wow I’m sold! Will this have a CE or something similar?

David Alonzo's Avatar

+ David Alonzo on November 12th, 2013 at 10:58 am said:

How’s it going, vinardus?

Please see my reply to comment #13, dood!

+ bldudas on November 12th, 2013 at 11:08 am said:

This game looks interesting.

+ Rezolution77 on November 12th, 2013 at 11:12 am said:

Another game not worth the $40 price tag.
……Sorry for being negative, but so is the asking price.

See you possibly on Plus, on another title, I did not want.

People want games you can play, why even bother having a thumbstick (controller), and just go buy an Ipad.
Or for that matter read a book.

Vita =’s GAMING console, NOT Storybook.

*Stories are great, but they are supposed to be in addition to an actual game.*

+ Rezolution77 on November 12th, 2013 at 11:14 am said:

I would better accept a tutorial device teaching me the Russian language, while playing.

+ Fardeenah on November 12th, 2013 at 11:20 am said:

you got me at 999 and virtue last reward

+ Elvick_ on November 12th, 2013 at 11:23 am said:

Wait, so you’re charging full price? I don’t know if I like that, since in Japan they’re getting both games. I know it’d be risky, and a ton of localization work to do both at once. But I thought you’d probably go the digital only route (which is a bummer) and price it at $30 or something.

It’s great it’s at retail, but I don’t know about $40…

But if the Limited Edition you’re ;) about is awesome… then you probably will win me over. You guys and your damn LE… making me broke!

@28: You don’t have to like this type of game, but they’re still games. Games aren’t made to appeal to you and you alone.

+ Tenechan on November 12th, 2013 at 11:28 am said:

Lets say there will be a Limited edition on the NIS store, (Then it will be US only) sure you can play it on a EU account but my question basically is. Is there DLC’s for this title? Need to know if I should bother with the Limited edition or not as swapping accounts is just a to big hassle on Vita.

David Alonzo's Avatar

+ David Alonzo on November 12th, 2013 at 11:51 am said:

Hey Tenechan,

Nice avatar! There won’t be any DLC for Danganronpa, so you can definitely bother with the Limited Edition, dood!

+ TiagoCostaX on November 12th, 2013 at 11:30 am said:

I know that this remake/port in Japan came with 1 + 2 + a “school mode” and “island mode” where you would be able to spend time with characters and date them… will we ever get this school and island mode, if the second one does get released? I’ will buy the european version btw!

+ macy113 on November 12th, 2013 at 11:39 am said:

Finally. I’m a huge danganronpa fan. I have to pre order though considering my town never gets JP games and I don’t got no EBGames near by. Really hope it gets good reception so the Second will be ported as well.

+ Artemisthemp on November 12th, 2013 at 11:48 am said:

I presume their won’t be any DLC for this game?
I hope the answer is no, so I can pre order the game or LE from NISA Store.

David Alonzo's Avatar

+ David Alonzo on November 12th, 2013 at 11:52 am said:

Hey Artemisthemp,

I also dig your avatar! Please refer to comment #32!

+ SOUP_32 on November 12th, 2013 at 11:50 am said:

Can’t wait :D

+ DakkuMaujii on November 12th, 2013 at 10:45 am said:

Show off your most Super Duper Limited Edition Set!

+ Hayades on November 12th, 2013 at 10:47 am said:

What is different between this version and the psp one? What as been added or revised? Anyway, it looks great and I’m hooked on the premise.

David Alonzo's Avatar

+ David Alonzo on November 12th, 2013 at 11:03 am said:

Hiya Hayades,

The Vita version has spruced-up the visuals, added touchscreen controls, and all-new post-game content!

+ MakMan333 on November 12th, 2013 at 10:47 am said:

Any idea when it’ll be up on the NIS store? I’d really like to order a Limited Edition if possible.

David Alonzo's Avatar

+ David Alonzo on November 12th, 2013 at 11:05 am said:

Hi MakMan333,

Please see my reply to comment #13. Keep your eyes out, dood!

+ supersmith2500 on November 12th, 2013 at 10:54 am said:

Will both US and EU get a retail release?

David Alonzo's Avatar

+ David Alonzo on November 12th, 2013 at 11:04 am said:

Hi supersmith2500,

Yes indeed! February 11th for US and February 14th for EU!

+ Chidori_93 on November 12th, 2013 at 11:03 am said:

How the Trophies will work i ask because this is only the first game and in japan the first and second shared the same list.

+ Wario64 on November 12th, 2013 at 10:06 am said:

“The gameplay is similar to the investigative nature of the Phoenix Wright series, with a dash of 999 and Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward storytelling thrown in.” Alright, you got me.

PAGE 1 2