Driveclub

First Look: PS4’s New UI Revealed

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Nov 14, 2013 // Senior Manager, Social Media

With just hours to go until PS4’s debut in North America, it’s time to take a closer look at PS4’s new UI — it’s a slick little piece of work dubbed the Connected User Experience. Sony Network Entertainment Vice President Eric Lempel gave me a full tour, showing off PlayStation Store’s speedy response time (even mid-game), live game broadcasting via Twitch and UStream, and social feeds that show what your friends are buying and watching. But that’s just a start: Check out Eric’s video tour below.

Another new feature worth calling out is Play As You Download, which enables PlayStation Store users to start playing supported games after downloading a portion of the game’s data, leaving the rest of the game to download in the background.

With PS4 debuting nationwide tonight, many of you will have a chance to get plenty of hands-on time. Try it out and let us know what you think in the comments!

52 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ materclobber on November 14th, 2013 at 6:14 pm said:

please add customization options like wallpaper or at least where you can change the color. i love the blue but it sucks that you cant change it to lets say, red.

+ tusunami on November 14th, 2013 at 6:22 pm said:

These features are epic, waiting patiently this will be 1 of the greatest days for me. PS4 day 1 shipping I’m out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ AirMaxPenny on November 14th, 2013 at 6:25 pm said:

Things I would like to see down the road

1) a patch to turn off the light on the remote as most TV’s are mirrors.
2) Allow us to overlay music on shared videos via Music Unlimited

Question

Does “Live from PlayStation” allow us to watch friends gameplay even if they do not start Twitch or uStream? AKA is it a part of the Playstation system.

+ KwietStorm on November 14th, 2013 at 6:25 pm said:

There was a PS4 video a few months back that showed a guy playing in his garage, and it looked like he had a custom sub-group on his friends list. Is this possible? With the increase to a possible 2,000 friends, filtering through them would be less than desirable, just like the current download history list. If I have multiple clans across different games, it would be very beneficial to have them sorted at all times. Am I able to make a group within my list for my Killzone clan, and another group for my Battlefield clan, my real life friends, etc.?

And yea, please add wallpaper support in the future as well. Everything else looks very smooth, and it’s a great improvement over the XMB. Thanks, Sid, Eric.

+ classyphenix on November 14th, 2013 at 6:26 pm said:

that dude is wicked boring but the interface does look sweet. looking forward to no lag when accessing my messages in game. hope it will play psn games from my ps3 account..

+ classyphenix on November 14th, 2013 at 6:30 pm said:

you should be able to group your friends in to categories . that’s stellar idea.

+ THExNEXTxHERO on November 14th, 2013 at 6:32 pm said:

I love a lot of this and I can’t wait to get my PS4 in a couple hours, but I was hoping the store would be… different, but oh well. Still love it.

+ thebiglouie on November 14th, 2013 at 6:35 pm said:

Thank you for finally showing off the PS4 PS Store, though I’m surprised the design is mostly the same as the PS3 store. I thought it would something more extravagant

+ AirMaxPenny on November 14th, 2013 at 6:35 pm said:

Does anyone know if we can “share” video and pics straight to PSN for our friends to see in the “what’s new” area without requiring facebook or twitter accounts?

+ en_em on November 14th, 2013 at 6:38 pm said:

it does seem .. cluttered. like there’s information in boxes all over the place with no clear design hierarchy.
(much like this sony blog)

+ Elvick_ on November 14th, 2013 at 6:38 pm said:

Wish you had show more of it. Oh well, less than 24 hours and I don’t need this video anyway.

+ Elvick_ on November 14th, 2013 at 6:39 pm said:

@10: That’s the “in” design today. I don’t like it. Many have adopted that and it’s lame. I like uniform design.

+ DaNTi3L on November 14th, 2013 at 6:42 pm said:

It looks really good and snappy i am satisfied :) i am on my way out now to pick up my PS4 at 12 at my local Gamestop i wish everyone a happy new gen gaming #GreatnessAwaits

+ Ryumoau on November 14th, 2013 at 6:53 pm said:

New UI looks pretty good. Love the increased speed on mulitasking and psn store. just hope the web browser is better than ps3, so i can use it to access online guides during gaming. :)

+ ruffneckc on November 14th, 2013 at 6:54 pm said:

Looks great. Really hope Youtube and Google + support is added soon (don’t want a FB account).

+ D-Squad3 on November 14th, 2013 at 6:56 pm said:

Welcome back Mr. Eric Lempel!

But yes please add customizable wallpapers and dynamic themes!

+ Solid_Ian on November 14th, 2013 at 6:57 pm said:

Would really like a customizeable UI, different color backgrounds, ability to change the background music with preset ambience, or your own. Customization should take precedence with the UI. I like it, don’t get me wrong, but I also like the idea of being able to customize it whenever I want. I guess it’s a show-off feature. :)

+ tirminyl on November 14th, 2013 at 7:09 pm said:

Please for the love of all, do not load every single game I play into a single horizontal menu!

Otherwise, looks good. Agree about custom wallpaper and the like.

+ Mobius2525 on November 14th, 2013 at 7:15 pm said:

Saw earlier on you-tube cant wait.

+ viceforce on November 14th, 2013 at 7:24 pm said:

People I’m sure there will be wallpapers and themes down the road. Remember the PS3 didn’t get themes and wallpapers at launch

+ RoII_chan on November 14th, 2013 at 7:25 pm said:

Beautiful.

+ gohan16ken on November 14th, 2013 at 7:35 pm said:

Awesome but here are a few suggestions…

1. Backport these changes and enhancement to the PS3

2. Create a video and audio chat service that allow chatting between ps4 and with ps3, psvita, android, ios, mac, and windows

3. Bring video unlimited to android, ios, and pc

4. Allow upload to YouTube

Thanks.

+ JROD0823 on November 14th, 2013 at 7:43 pm said:

Greatness awaits in just over two hours!

+ KazeEternal on November 14th, 2013 at 7:59 pm said:

Can we get a panel on trophies that shows us how many of a certain Trophy Rarity we have?

Organizing games that have been downloaded or do I have to search for them?

Voice commands to launch downloaded games or jump to their information page?

PSOne Support?

PS2 Support?

PSP Support?

DLNA?

+ EvoAnubis on November 14th, 2013 at 8:26 pm said:

I wish there were some more customization options, but not bad for just starting out! So very excited…will be seeing this for myself in just a few short hours….

+ YODA798907 on November 14th, 2013 at 9:15 pm said:

I really need and answer from somebody @PlayStation,

Movies that we have purchased on PS3 (I have 23) wll we be able to back them up and have them on PS4 or even re-download them?

+ TeleVision3733 on November 14th, 2013 at 9:19 pm said:

The UI looks absolutely amazing. However, I think the folks behind the Cadillac User Experience (and the lawyers at GM) might take umbrage with its name…

+ whatisdelicious on November 14th, 2013 at 9:35 pm said:

Christian Jones, male model, may want to check on the security of his account because someone else entirely is broadcasting Knack with his name.

+ mrpaulryan on November 14th, 2013 at 9:54 pm said:

My biggest pet peeve about the PS3 was endless swirling icons. This looks a lot better, but I still saw swirling icons. This console has eight processor cores and 8GB of memory. Nothing should swirl for more than half a second.

Glad to see the store loads instantly instead of taking 30 seconds, but it still looks like a confusing mess. Gigantic image-based layouts that waste screen real estate and make it difficult to figure out where to click (and what will happen when you click). The menu sections still have vague, incomprehensible titles and a complete lack of a “Latest” section to show you the newest additions to the store. I used to love coming to the store every week to see the latest stuff. Now I don’t even bother checking. The original PS3 store was still the best. All the latest stuff in one section, with folders for lesser stuff like wallpapers or avatars. Quick, easy, intuitive.

+ Dnut on November 14th, 2013 at 10:10 pm said:

So super excited with my new PS4. Downloaded new 1.50 and now has been 30 mins looping unable to sign into PSN so I can start playing on my ID. This is so not good.

+ atzelbobatzel on November 14th, 2013 at 10:17 pm said:

Could you guys maybe update the PS Vita UI so it looks more like the PS4? Maybe update the PSN Store too :)

+ ChronicWinner on November 14th, 2013 at 10:21 pm said:

Super Irritated. Just got my midnight release, and as I work out of town and live in hotels, tried to connect it to wifi at hotel.

With the PS3, you have to open the web browser first and “log in” on hotels wifi webpage before you can log in to PSN.

With the PS4, you have to be logged into the PSN before it will let you open the web browser. So I’m unable to connect mine, catch-22. I can’t log into PSN, as it gives an error. I can’t open browser, because I’m not logged in to PSN.

When I do a connection test, it passes, because it can grab an IP address, but it’s blocked from going further.

Someone please tell me there is a work around, as I’m tempted to return the thing.

+ amos7667 on November 15th, 2013 at 12:08 am said:

its not even allowing me to play

+ Errantia on November 15th, 2013 at 12:20 am said:

Looks to me like Sony is trying to hard.

What I don’t like:

1) Movies in the cloud. You know Sony, over 60% of the US has no access to High Speed internet. hopefully you can download them.

2) 2 Big “Music Unlimited” and “Video Unlimited” buttons taking up prime real estate. The PS3 has enough icons you can’t remove, but at least they are hidden in a category.

3) Information overload, way to cluttered. I wonder what it looks like if you have no friends list or facebook account to like to.

4) The whole interface looks like an updated Roku menu.

+ INFIDEL_JIHAD on November 15th, 2013 at 3:22 am said:

using ps4 to send this ._ its smooth Ireally like it the browser is waaaay better

+ geneMag on November 15th, 2013 at 3:23 am said:

playing around with it right now.

things I liked:
– the OS menu setup just like the XMB, only the presentation’s stacked instead of a cross-ish thing.
– Store’s way more responsive than I expected. Still hope there’s a way to show more games per page though.
– Sixaxis control for the keyboard is surprisingly good. But can there be an option to adjust its sensitivity? As in adjust the horizontal and vertical sensitivity separately?

things I hope can be added:
– an option to sort the icons in the menu maybe? I would’ve liked the Library on the left-most end, or at least near the games that are downloading.
– option to use the touchpad for navigation. either to scroll left-right, and/or up-down. This was the number-one application that I hoped it would be used for.
– a way to prioritize certain items for download. (or maybe i just hadn’t found it yet?)

+ Terminator_T-X3 on November 15th, 2013 at 7:02 am said:

This is awesome, I didn’t pre-order but I’ll be getting this console when I start working again. I love how the features of the PS4 is social networking based, I just wonder if your profile can be more personalized.

Like for example I don’t like how in the PS3 “About Me” section can barely fit a single thought let along a blurb about yourself. The other thing is allowing sub-accounts to become master accounts, that’s more of a design aspect than an OS thing.

+ Terminator_T-X3 on November 15th, 2013 at 7:05 am said:

I forgot to mention it would be cool to have social networking aliases section, to let people know about your YouTube channel or Twitter accounts.

+ Lucifer6161 on November 15th, 2013 at 10:54 am said:

Is it possible right now for sub accounts to brodcast their own gameplay? I made a dummy account a loong time ago and have been using the sub account for all my stuff. In the parental controls there doesn’t seem to be anything that’d allow for my sub account to brodcast gameplay.

+ phinnv8 on November 15th, 2013 at 11:39 am said:

If I’m seeing that video right the UI already needs a cleanup. All the games you have installed are presented in a long line you scroll through linearly? It just seems cumbersome. Other than that, once again I ask to please bring DLNA and Suspend/Resume in an update ASAP.

I checked out the launch event at The Standard in NYC last night, it was awesome! Very well done, didn’t buy one because I was expecting Amazon to bring my BF4 bundle today. Amazon dropped the ball and my “release day delivery” isn’t arriving until next week, *sigh*.

+ DRUNKCLAM_Jr on November 16th, 2013 at 1:46 pm said:

Please add an option to change background!! It would be awesome if I could use my live Afrika background from my ps3, or at least be able to change the color!

+ MurDa_Bo1z on November 17th, 2013 at 2:18 pm said:

Hey, how about showing the PS Vita some love? Can we get the OPTION to change to this AMAZING UI? Because, Sony, you are showing the PS Vita about 5% love right now, we need you to step your game up severely, from the beginning I believed you’d do what it took to make the PS Vita sell, but you have not, you are letting the Nintendo 3DS DESTROY you, it’s to the point where I’m glad I kept my PS Vita box and AR cards intact because I’m about to sell that crap, that’s what the PS Vita is, CRAP. I look at the DS and I’m like, “Wow, there’s a WHOLE rack of games for sale, I wonder how much PS Vita games there are, wanna know? 1 Row, just one, and that’s like 5 games. That is terrible, you guys aught to be ashamed of yourselves. Start listening to your players and customers, they will help you build a better gaming experience and help you make money. (Because we know that’s all you care about)

+ Camaargo on November 17th, 2013 at 2:51 pm said:

Incredible, it really is! But PLEASE, let us be able to change our PSN ID names !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Otherwise I would create another PSN user to play at PS4 however with no trophies and previous data at all !!!

+ WesHouston on November 17th, 2013 at 5:52 pm said:

Love the new UI. Very fast and easy to navigate. My only complaint is the large icons scattered amongst my games. It would be nice if it had separate rows for different categories. Such as top row be strictly games with the What’s New Icon in front as it is. Push down arrow and go to second row with TV/Video, Live from Playstation, Video unlimited. On down to the third row with web browser and so on. I just think it would look cleaner and not have to scroll through what will one day be a huge collection of games to find TV/Video when I want it.

+ sschneiker on November 17th, 2013 at 9:46 pm said:

I do like the rarity trophy feature but I am dissapointed in many aspects with the new console.

I cannot add an external drive/ flash drive
I cannot change the background
I cannot play music from existing library
I cannot play movies ( like Ps3) unless i have a dvd

There are a lot of upgrades as in game quality ( Killzone), the PSN network auto updates, and controller. otherwise although the new features are great, having some of the old features mainly external drive support and media from the flash drive would be a software update away…

+ Turok on November 18th, 2013 at 8:26 am said:

Please add Google + and or Youtube support. I really have no interest in uploading videos or posting screenshots to Facebook.

+ Wallpaper_Kid on November 18th, 2013 at 8:38 am said:

An option to put in the “power save” section later: instead of turning off, putting the console in sleep mode after a set time. This way we don’t lose our game and the system consumes less power.

+ jorge197 on November 18th, 2013 at 10:54 am said:

Is there a video chat on PS4? I know there’s a party chat.
Thanks

+ jorge197 on November 18th, 2013 at 10:54 am said:

Oh by the way, LOVING MY PS4!!!!

+ Kt-izM on November 18th, 2013 at 7:44 pm said:

Everything great. But please need CUSTOM WALLPAPERS and COLORED BACKGROUNDS PLEASE. I Hate the Blue background sick of it already. Thanks Please update this asap.

PAGE 1 2