Far Cry 4

PS4 Launch: It Begins

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Nov 14, 2013 // Senior Manager, Social Media

It won’t be long now! PS4 is is just hours from making its grand debut and lines are filling up at retailers nationwide. Meanwhile, the PlayStation team is holed up at The Standard, High Line, a luxury hotel in downtown New York City in preparation for one of the most dynamic launch events in gaming history (and psst: You’re invited!). Take a behind-the-scenes look at the week’s buildup, including a dazzling interactive light show and live PS4 gameplay projected on surrounding buildings. If you’re in the NYC area, this is one console launch you won’t want to miss. And yep, we’ve even got a special order of PS4s on sale just for you.

In other launch-related news, I had a chance to speak with Sony Computer Entertainment President and CEO Jack Tretton about PS4’s unique place in PlayStation history.

I also checked in with Andrew House, Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment to get his take on PS4’s successful launch and his goals for 2014 — watch it below.

109 Comments

+ coltsandcubsfan on November 14th, 2013 at 10:23 pm said:

Hmmm.so on the phone now with Sony to see why we can’t sign in

+ Hatchetforce on November 14th, 2013 at 10:23 pm said:

Too bad we can’t game under our own account because we can’t sign in. Sony knew how many preorders were sold and this just shouldn’t have happened.

+ eOrBlunt22 on November 14th, 2013 at 10:25 pm said:

ps4 online not working for me. thanks a lot sony.

+ NDGO on November 14th, 2013 at 10:27 pm said:

Got my PS4 but PSN seems to be down. Keep getting error messages. What’s the deal?

+ u2roy on November 14th, 2013 at 10:29 pm said:

Did someone put Obama in charge of this roll out? WTF

+ at0msplat on November 14th, 2013 at 10:32 pm said:

Same here as everyone else, will not sign into PSN. just says please wait…. when I’m not getting error codes or lost connection. Not what I was looking forward to after sitting in line for 5 hours Sony!! Fix it!!

+ RDFish90 on November 14th, 2013 at 10:37 pm said:

Ya, whats the point of a midnight release if you network isn’t going to work. I can understand if people were having problems downloading the update, which is why I downloaded mine ahead of time on a thumbdrive, but not being able to sign into PSN!? That should be the simplest part of setting the thing up.

+ frayhavoc on November 14th, 2013 at 10:44 pm said:

Same here as well =( My PS4 will not sign into PSN, but my PS3 will. Such a bummer.

+ PR_Jroopy216 on November 14th, 2013 at 10:50 pm said:

Not letting me sign in which sucks cuz I really wanted to play before I go to work at 4am

+ Inuyasha986 on November 14th, 2013 at 10:51 pm said:

PSN is down!!! I am hearing from friends as well as myself cannot connect to PSN on our PS4s and I hear PS3s can’t either!!! @_@

+ jorge197 on November 14th, 2013 at 10:52 pm said:

yeah its bull that we cant sign in, if i put wrong password or wrong email, its say, wrong shiit but when i us my real shiit it will not work or just stay there trying ti sign in!!!!!

+ frayhavoc on November 14th, 2013 at 10:52 pm said:

I’m playing Ghost online on my PS3 right now? PSN is fine.

+ NDGO on November 14th, 2013 at 10:55 pm said:

PS4 problem not a PS3 issue.

+ Dark_Prince on November 14th, 2013 at 10:56 pm said:

same here…update went great, no problem, but when trying to login to PSN I get the “Please wait” prompt.

+ Travenkirkwall on November 14th, 2013 at 10:57 pm said:

i cant log in too i even updated please fix

+ frayhavoc on November 14th, 2013 at 10:58 pm said:

NDGO, yeah I understand bro. I was telling Inuyasha986 that PS3 are connecting to PSN. My PS4 won’t connect either.

+ xTheBlackHandx on November 14th, 2013 at 11:01 pm said:

Terrible. Wait all day, work a midnight release, pop in Shadow fall and NOPE! Not surprised either.

+ TWODEEEE on November 14th, 2013 at 11:01 pm said:

i think its because its not midnight in Cali yet, it will be midnight there in one hour, so if it still doesnt work after that i will assume there is an issue, till then ill play assassins creed

+ sam_val8417 on November 14th, 2013 at 11:01 pm said:

I thought I was the only one… I was able to install the update but when I try to log in it just says “Please wait…” and after a while I will get a message “Cannot connect to the server (WV-33910-6)”??? Tried resetting my internet router and restarting the PS4 but nothing seems to help… Anyone got around this?

+ RDFish90 on November 14th, 2013 at 11:01 pm said:

I just got told by an online agent that the issue is they haven’t completely rolled out PSN and they will not do so until 12AM PST time, which is 4AM for us east coasters. He said and I quote, “The stores may have sold the console to you at 12 AM your timezone however, the PS4 does not officially launch until 12 AM PST. I do apologize and appreciate your patience… I do apologize for the frustration, however the console has not been officially launched yet. We apprecieate your patience.” Basically what he is saying is that even though we bought the PS4, it doesn’t launch until it hits 12AM on the west coast cause the system doesn’t officially launch until then, WHICH is completely against anything that was publicly advertised.

+ Bills_Mafia_32 on November 14th, 2013 at 11:02 pm said:

Continuous please wait damn this needs fixed ASAP I have work in 3 hours I stayed up for this?? Lol

+ Ryodin on November 14th, 2013 at 11:03 pm said:

10 tries later and I finally connected to my PSN account on my PS4

+ Bills_Mafia_32 on November 14th, 2013 at 11:03 pm said:

Maybe that agent has no idea what he is talking about and is making a complete bs story I still have to download my ghost and can’t do that without psn

+ Ryodin on November 14th, 2013 at 11:05 pm said:

UPDATE: I connected and it asked me to update some privacy settings. After I finished doing that it is now in a continuous “Please wait” loop. Will try again in the morning.

+ Bills_Mafia_32 on November 14th, 2013 at 11:07 pm said:

Finally getting it

+ Bills_Mafia_32 on November 14th, 2013 at 11:07 pm said:

Yep same thing happened here

+ Jack_Ryman on November 14th, 2013 at 11:07 pm said:

Oh good, I thought I was the only one with a completely useless PS4. Can’t even sign in to the PS4 so I can’t do a damn thing about it either. Hopefully there’s a fix after a couple of DAY 1 PATCHES?!?!?11111 I mean, seriously? I’m willing to bet that it was one of these patches that messed it up, because I managed to connect online without TOO MUCH trouble…after the patches, next thing I knew, I couldn’t even connect to my wifi even with the WPS and such. Just horrible…

+ CaandyMaan on November 14th, 2013 at 11:09 pm said:

I tried logging in from different areas of the ps4, the closest i got was going to the internet browser, it logged me in, asked a few questions, then….”error occurred while communicating with the server”….why sony? why?

+ Hatchetforce on November 14th, 2013 at 11:09 pm said:

Don’t be gutless Sony. Get on here and talk to your people. You took our money now gives us 5 seconds. Having issues is one thing but ducking and running is an entirely different matter. Straigten your spine, step into the light and tell us what is going on and what you are doing to fix it. Man up.

+ Inuyasha986 on November 14th, 2013 at 11:09 pm said:

It’s kinda working now. Probably traffic is clogging it up. I got signed-in to my PSN but now it’s stuck again so it’s in and out.

+ RDFish90 on November 14th, 2013 at 11:10 pm said:

Finally getting connected.

+ u2roy on November 14th, 2013 at 11:11 pm said:

I’m in!!!!!

+ jayrabbit on November 14th, 2013 at 11:20 pm said:

so glad I bought a hard copy game to play, yeah no psn for me ether. if the crap about us having to wait till the west coast gets there ps4’s then we should wait till the UK gets theirs as well… what thats like on the 29th?

+ sam_val8417 on November 14th, 2013 at 11:20 pm said:

Its somewhat working… I get to log in after waiting a couple of minutes the I respond to a few profile set up questions. Then after waiting a couple of more minutes I get a “Lost connection to server” message which kicks me all the way back to the beginning….

+ badmomma79 on November 14th, 2013 at 11:24 pm said:

Got my Ps4 woot!!!!! Now installing version 1.50!!

+ amos7667 on November 14th, 2013 at 11:26 pm said:

i cant even play on the system and plus they said the pulse headsets was gonna work and they dont

+ amos7667 on November 14th, 2013 at 11:29 pm said:

i cant even play or do anything

+ amos7667 on November 14th, 2013 at 11:31 pm said:

it says the network is down already this is crap very disappointed

+ Juben on November 14th, 2013 at 11:33 pm said:

won’t be up until 3 am pst from what sony support is saying

+ amos7667 on November 14th, 2013 at 11:36 pm said:

i just want to play ghost

+ tommyxthirteen on November 14th, 2013 at 11:37 pm said:

I love the controller it’s crazy comfortable and the ps4 console looks awesome and the design is wicked cool! love the light on top of it too! The lights on the controller are sick. The xbox is really ugly too big and goofy with a huge power cord still lol omg

+ amos7667 on November 14th, 2013 at 11:39 pm said:

well i know i have a friend that lives in nc thats on and doesnt have any problems

+ tommyxthirteen on November 14th, 2013 at 11:44 pm said:

75 what happens after the please wait loop? Mine is still going for 8 minutes

+ amos7667 on November 14th, 2013 at 11:46 pm said:

it took 30 mins just to install ghost

+ so-knee on November 14th, 2013 at 11:49 pm said:

Great job guys. You made the cheaper console. Let’s keep it up and get some exclusive missions and exclusive underpants in game since it’s really impressive….not. Actually I’d like to submit my resume and I’ll do you a favor….I’ll work the first year for free. Maybe if you had someone who actually knows how to impress American customers you could win here again. You already have my contact info. I guarantee I could help since you guys keep droppin the ball like new inmates drop the soap. BTW Where was Epic games?

+ amos7667 on November 14th, 2013 at 11:54 pm said:

i just dont understand why they does understand that this was gonna happen

+ amos7667 on November 15th, 2013 at 12:01 am said:

i’m about ready to take it back

+ Duo_The_Great on November 15th, 2013 at 12:08 am said:

If they charge for online gaming I wont be buying a PS4..

+ Duo_The_Great on November 15th, 2013 at 12:11 am said:

Rather purchase the Microsoft equipment if Im gonna have to shell up dollars for online gaming..its just bad business..

+ sam_val8417 on November 15th, 2013 at 12:20 am said:

I signed on after about 10 times…. just keep trying guys I already downloaded RESOGUN and CONTRAST… gona play all day tomorrow Feel free to add me online :)