PS4-The Order

The PlayStation Recap – What We’re Reading

Justin Massongill's Avatar + Posted by Justin Massongill on Nov 17, 2013 // SCEA Social Media Specialist

We did it guys! PS4 is out! I’m back home on the west coast after a week in New York City manning the PS4 launch festivities, and as much as I love that city I’m glad to be home playing my shiny, angular new game machine.

In honor of PS4′s launch, we’re gonna rock out a top 20 this week instead of a top 10. I figure if there’s any time to drop a few extras in there, this is it. Plus, well, a lot happened last week!

Here are a few highlights that didn’t make it into the top 20:

Super Motherload is out now on PS4, and it’s actually one of my most-played PS4 games so far. The gents at Sucker Punch argued for a bit about whether smoke or neon is better in inFAMOUS Second Son, we dove into Resogun’s co-op mode, Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus keeps the PS3 release list moving along, and we got a new ‘n tasty look at the upcoming PS4 Oddworld game.

Oh, and you’ll want to listen to this week’s PlayStation Blogcast. We were lucky enough to grab boogie2988 (the man behind Francis) for an insightful look at what it’s like to be a rising YouTube star. Plus, he let us in on his top 10 games of the generation.

Personally speaking, I can’t get enough of Resogun. Those voxels need blowin’ up — who am I to deny them? Super Motherload came out of nowhere, and keeps me coming back despite Killzones and Rivals calling my name. PS4′s sharing features are seeing even more use than I anticipated: I’ve been streaming on my Twitch channel a ton this weekend, and we’ve been sending out some screenshots via the @PlayStation Twitter account. If you take any extra-cool screens, reply to @PlayStation and keep that #PS4share tag in there; we’ll be RT’ing them here and there.

What are you playing this weekend?

• I’m playing: Resogun, NFS Rivals, Flower, Super Motherload, Contrast, CoD: Ghosts
  • I’m watching: Bob’s Burgers (via Netflix on PS4!)
  • I’m listening to: Lady Gaga: Artpop (and actually kind of digging it — don’t judge me)

What We’re Reading

This Week’s Top 20 Posts

1. Uncharted on PS4, The Last of Us: Left Behind DLC Revealed
  2. PS4 Launch Games: The Complete List
  3. PS4 Launch: Midnight Event in NYC, 444 PS4s on Sale
  4. inFAMOUS Second Son Hands-On
  5. PlayStation 4 Launch Events – San Francisco and More
  6. Destiny Beta Available First on PlayStation
  7. PS4 Launch: It Begins
  8. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Getting PlayStation-Exclusive Déjà Vu Mission
  9. Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition Out Today Including 6 DLC Fighters
  10. PSN Digital Content Now Available on Amazon.com
  11. First Look: PS4’s New UI Revealed
  12. Battlefield 4 Out Today on PS4
  13. Battlefield 4: DICE Talks Commanders, PS4
  14. PS4 Available Now in North America
  15. Hands-on with Dying Light on PS4
  16. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Coming to PS Vita on February 11th, 2014
  17. Contrast Out Today on PS4, Free for PlayStation Plus
  18. Introducing the Video Unlimited Service and Music Unlimited Service on PlayStation 4
  19. Need for Speed Rivals Hands-On
  20. TowerFall Ascension Coming to PS4 in Early 2014

Most-Watched Video of the Week

+ deathshadow799 on November 17th, 2013 at 2:52 pm said:

Not getting PS4 until 2015, waiting for the Slim model and for Uncharted 4.

In the meantime…

I’m playing: Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, I Am Alive, TellTale’s The Walking Dead

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on November 17th, 2013 at 6:54 pm said:

Isn’t The Walking Dead fantastic? Can’t wait for Season 2.

+ xClayMeow on November 17th, 2013 at 3:12 pm said:

Playing BAO on PC and Blackgate on Vita.

PS4? Pfft, what’s that?

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on November 17th, 2013 at 6:55 pm said:

What do you think about Arkham Origins and Blackgate so far? I can’t get over how good Troy Baker’s Joker is.

+ blackiemist88 on November 17th, 2013 at 3:26 pm said:

What I’m playing: Resogun and Warframe

What I’m watching: walking dead, almost human, and American dad

What I’m listening to: Pandora

What I need: to get the PlayStation app to work and some demos for PS4

+ MichaelNyboeBach on November 17th, 2013 at 3:49 pm said:

Playing Castle Storm, Killzone and Rayman on the VITA until I get my PS4 on the 29th :) Cannot wait!!!

+ Yigytugd on November 17th, 2013 at 4:13 pm said:

Please add music, video, photo and game sections back to the PS4′s UI. It honestly is a mess and unorganized. The fact that I can’t put my own music on the PS4 is amazing. Same with videos. Just so we’re forced to use stupid Music and Video Unlimited.

I hate not being able to have my own photos as the background image as well. It’s amazing that these basic things that were on the PS3 are all of a sudden gone from the PS4.

Also, I hate having all my games lumped under one place. I don’t want a news feed, I want a videogame console that doesn’t limit me to the stuff I can do.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on November 17th, 2013 at 6:55 pm said:

Thanks for the feedback.

+ MrZ_2010 on November 17th, 2013 at 4:37 pm said:

I am waiting and wondering; what is SONY going to do to address the issues of PS4 hardware problem and failure rate.

+ IR2PROASKURMOM on November 17th, 2013 at 4:49 pm said:

I just wish the store wasn’t doing maintenance all day was hoping to buy a digital copy of killzone today

+ jgrizzle358 on November 17th, 2013 at 4:54 pm said:

@5

I don’t know about you, but I use gaming consoles to play games.

+ TeamGreen615 on November 17th, 2013 at 5:24 pm said:

Playing: COD Ghosts (Extinction Mode) Injustice on the Vita

Watched: The Titans lose again (Thurs. Night)

Listening to: Playstation Blogcast You guys need to get Francis back on again. Very entertaining!

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on November 17th, 2013 at 6:52 pm said:

We’d love to have him! I think we were all a little thrown off by just how personal and insightful that conversation got. That was a segment I’ll never forget.

+ Zezzler on November 17th, 2013 at 5:30 pm said:

Playing: Killzone Shadowfall, Resogun, Warframe and Blacklight ALL from my Vita :)

I love Remote Play to death! And of course, I’ve been playing from my PS4 as well. I can’t get over how nice the DS4 is too!

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on November 17th, 2013 at 6:53 pm said:

I’m still having a hard time believing just how well Remote Play works. It’s like magic!

+ Zezzler on November 17th, 2013 at 5:37 pm said:

@8 There is absolutely no reason you should be a **** to someone with a very legitimate concern, each person is VERY entitled to their own opinions about what they want out of a console, and you know what, I have to agree with Yigytugd.

I used my PS3 as a ‘Everything’ console. I would stream videos, pictures, and music all through DLNA to my PS3 and it was a great way to get other media into my living room when I had friends over, or if I wanted to watch a movie or whatever.

Yes it is true that not everyone wants these features, but it’s extremely disappointing to see them gone in the transition to PS4, especially for those of us who used them extensively on PS3.

+ dodgedoors on November 17th, 2013 at 5:45 pm said:

Playing: Killzone Shadowfall. Having a hell of a time trying to beat the turret portion in chapter 7 on hard 5 hours and still can’t do it. (not a spoiler)

Watching: Almost Human, then back to my misery on Killzone

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on November 17th, 2013 at 6:53 pm said:

Thanks for keeping it vague. :)

+ Alyyse on November 17th, 2013 at 5:52 pm said:

I’m playing: Devil May Cry
I’m watching: Random videos on Youtube
I’m listening to: A State of Trance with Armin Van Buuren

+ Cobra1 on November 17th, 2013 at 6:47 pm said:

Can you give us poor souls that couldn’t get one on launch day an idea of when stores will be receiving more? Looking forward to getting my grubby little mitts on one! :smileyvery-happy:

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on November 17th, 2013 at 6:54 pm said:

We’re building ‘em as fast as we can! Keep an eye out, and good luck!

+ Neo_Portugal on November 17th, 2013 at 7:25 pm said:

Hi SONY US,

I am a Portuguese Citizen living at Brazil, and i need to speack with you what SONY BRAZIL is doing with SONY TRADEMARK.

For me SONY is equal to PERFECTION.

Its my best Trademark. I have purchased one SONY BRAVIA TV, one SONY MXV 50 ( Car Radio ), all my speackears, subwoofer, etc … of my car is SONY.

I have also a PS 3. My Daughter as a PSVITA.

Well …. We are 100% Sony.

However:
1) I can NOT play PS 3 with my SONY BRAVIA. ( Bravia HDMI issues )
2) I can NOT hear Originals, or MP3 Cd’s on my Car ( Laser issues )
3) I can NOT purchase at PS STORE. ( BANK TRADEMARK issues !!!!! )

SONY BR is Taking down SONY TRADEMARK. Please SONY US change SONY BR Ownerchip !!!!!

———-
A Hungry SONY BR Customer

+ BoobooJones on November 17th, 2013 at 7:36 pm said:

Can anyone confirm that the change of being able to convert sub accounts into master accounts is actually happening? It’s literally the only thing keeping me from being a PS4.

+ divineLite on November 17th, 2013 at 7:37 pm said:

I’m playing: Gundam Breaker well, last week to play this), Gravity Rush (second play)
I’m reading: Assassin’s Creed: The Secret Crusader

no ps4 for a while, hopefully can get it in March

+ Nejithegreat on November 18th, 2013 at 12:51 am said:

I’m playing: Virtue’s Last Reward , Muramasa Rebirth
I’m watching: Youtube
I’m listening to: Eminem’s Marshall Mathers LP 2

Ps… Hoping we get some good news on more full hardcore gamer type game for Ps Vita like God Eater 2 or Gundam Breaker. We don’t have that many good game on Ps Vita need over here in the good USA like they do in Japan for the Ps Vita. Plz Sony give us some better game and stop putting out all these Indie and Mini game plz.

+ owsleyf on November 18th, 2013 at 1:16 am said:

Couple things I’d like to see.

1. Bring back the video, music & photos don’t limit the capabilities of the PS4!
2. Battery life on the controllers needs improved. Can the LED light be placed into a sleep mode while watching movies and or, other activities that do not require it’s use?

+ Conall-Star on November 18th, 2013 at 6:56 am said:

i want to echo what several others have said on here. Please bring back the ability to put our own music and videos on the PS4, or at least the ability to connect to an external hard drive that houses the files. I use this feature a lot on my PS3.

I haven’t grabbed my PS4 yet but will in the not to distant future (i already own 5 games for it). From what I’ve seen of the interface i’m not sure if there is a way to organize our games into folders. I have well over 100 downloaded titles on my PS3 and the only way it is manageable is by putting them into folders. If the PS4 doesn’t have a way to custom organize my downloaded games, that’s gonna be rather annoying before too long.

+ Stranger_Eddie on November 18th, 2013 at 7:06 am said:

Congratulations Sony!

PS4 = 1 million units sold on Day 1 more than 500.000 Sega Dreamcast in two weeks!

Now, do what your fans wants = EXCLUSIVE GAMES! <<< And continue including PSVita in this project!

Regards!

+ JesterX on November 18th, 2013 at 8:41 am said:

I couldn’t afford a game on launch day unfortunately, but I found DC Universe on there which I’ve never played before and I’m enjoying that for now. It’s more fun than I thought it would be. I agree with others that I’d like to see personal music and video support on the PS4 so I can move my PS3 out of my cluttered entertainment center and into another room. Other than that, loving it so far.

+ Binarynova on November 18th, 2013 at 8:41 am said:

While I understand not hoping on the early adopter train (I personally will as soon as I see one on a store’s shelf) I don’t think waiting for a Slim model is the best idea.

Remember, it was 3 years before the PS3 got a slim. Three. Years.

+ rwlove on November 18th, 2013 at 10:16 am said:

what happened to the original playstation motto “it only does everything” sure it can play higher quality games now but it has lost quite a bit of its features like viewing and listening to your own music, videos, and photos. Oh and would love it if you guys brought the youtube app over to ps4

+ xClayMeow on November 18th, 2013 at 2:47 pm said:

Justin, I completely agree. Every naysayer owes Baker a HUGE apology. Seeing the relationship between Batman and Joker develop over the course of the game was certainly a highlight and that was definitely aided by a perfect voice acting job by Baker. I think voice acting overall has always been a strength of the franchise and Origins is no different.

I beat the main story of BAO and all side missions except the bonus one at the end and thought the game was awesome. Sure it’s kind of an Arkham City 2.0, but it did have better boss fights overall (though none not quite as good as Mr. Freeze) and a story that I felt rivaled Arkham Asylum. As such, I’d say it’s the best game of the series.

As for Blackgate, I’ve only played roughly an hour or two (because I didn’t want to play it until after beating BAO, since it takes place after). I think it’s pretty good so far and was surprised at how well the combat was translated – much better than I thought it would be. Sure it can’t hold up to the other games in the series, but as a cheaper spin-off, I think it’s pretty good and don’t mind the switch to side-scroller.

+ KingDubin on November 18th, 2013 at 4:56 pm said:

CAN SOMEBODY IN CHARGE OF SCEA AND/OR PS BLOG PLEASE CONFIRM IF GRAN TURISMO 6 WILL BE A DAY 1 DIGITAL DL FOR NORTH AMERICA???? IT’S ALREADY BEEN CONFIRMED FOR JAPAN, ASIA, AND EUROPE, BUT NOT NORTH AMERICA. THERE’S A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION (Not me, personally. I’ve already pre-ordered my 15th Anniversary Edition from Gamestop). EVEN A ‘NO COMMENT’ WOULD SUFFICE IN THIS INSTANCE. PLEASE INQUIRE US ON THIS MATTER SOON. B/C, AFTER ALL, AFTER TODAY, IT’S ONLY 16 DAYS UNTIL GT6 COMES OUT.

Many thanks in advance,

Randy

+ Jasspers on November 18th, 2013 at 7:24 pm said:

Ok, so I bought my PS4 on Nov 15 believing that SONY would had fix all bugs and problems prior it’s release… NOT!! First off, this is my first time buying a Playstation since all I’ve used before has been Microsoft and Nintendo, the fact that there is no directions or user’s manual, blows my mind like if everybody that bought the PS4 is supposed to know how to use it. I was able to send commands through my control mic, now that option has disappear. I can’t customize my theme like I’ve seen before get done on the PS3. My BF4 game does not save while on campaign mode, keeps saying my save device is corrupt, the game crashes while loading sometimes 4 to 5 times in less than five minutes, and just when you think you have something good going the game crashes again. You would think SONY developers would inspect and ensure all units work to perfection but no, I guess it was more important to sell the units before Christmas. I’ll be waiting for an update that will fix these glitches but I will buy my SONY 36 months insurance policy just in case.

+ KingDubin on November 18th, 2013 at 8:31 pm said:

CAN SOMEBODY AT PS BLOG/SCEA PLEASE CONFIRM IF GRAN TURISMO 6 IS GOING TO BE A DAY 1 DIGITAL DL IN NORTH AMERICA? I’M ONLY ASKING B/C IT’S ALREADY BEEN CONFIRMED FOR THE REST OF THE WORLD AND I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THERE ARE MANY GT FANS THAT WOULD LIKE TO HEAR THIS NEWS. PLEASE LET US KNOW EITHER WAY, OR EVEN PM ME ON PSN.

THANK YOU.