PS4-The Order

The Last of Us: New Heads Revealed, Neil Druckmann PBS Interview

Eric Monacelli's Avatar + Posted by Eric Monacelli on Nov 18, 2013 // Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

Our first-ever single player DLC, The Last of Us: Left Behind, was unveiled last week in New York during the PS4 launch event. If you haven’t seen the teaser, check it out now. There are some cool hints as to what kind of gameplay you’ll be seeing in the video.

The Last of Us: Left Behind is one element of our $19.99 Season Pass. We wanted the Season Pass to be all-inclusive and a great value. The first piece of DLC for the Season Pass was our Abandoned Territories Map Pack. The Abandoned Territories Map Pack released in October and it’s a blast, with four brand new maps for the Factions multiplayer in The Last of Us.

The Last of Us on PS3

In addition to our behind-the-scenes documentary, Grounded: The Making of The Last of Us, we added over 60 multiplayer head items to the Season Pass. The Country Flag Hats and Nightmare Bundle are out now. We’re making the next three bundles special for Season Pass holders by making them available starting as soon the PlayStation Store updates in your region. Here’s a look at what’s coming your way:

The Last of Us on PS3The Last of Us on PS3The Last of Us on PS3

Government Issue Bundle – Available immediately for Season Pass holders, releasing November 19 on the PlayStation Store for $8.99 (individual head items prices vary).

Rally Bundle – Available immediately for Season Pass holders, releasing December 3 on the PlayStation Store for $8.99 (individual head items prices vary).

Bygones Bundle – Available immediately for Season Pass holders, releasing December 17 on the PlayStation Store for $8.99 (individual head items prices vary).

That’s some serious early access and you’ll have the coolest multiplayer character out there if you pick up the Season Pass now. If you don’t get the Season Pass you’ll have to buy the separate bundles to get every multiplayer head item. Each bundle has its own exclusive head item. The Nightmare Mask, Battle Mask, Flame Motorcycle Helmet, and the Rooster Hat are only wearable if you buy the bundle associated with it or purchase the Season Pass.

The Last of Us on PS3
When you do the math, the Season Pass is a tremendous value with savings of 75% over purchasing all the content individually. So it’s the best way to get all of The Last of Us content without crushing your wallet. Not only do you get immediate access to all the head items but you’ll be getting awesome multiplayer content and what we promise will be one of the most compelling pieces of single player DLC ever made.

A few weeks ago The Last of Us Creative Director Neil Druckmann visited local LA TV station KLCS and filmed Between the Lines with Barry Kibrick. Barry wanted to dive deeper into the philosophy behind The Last of Us and what makes the game the universally acclaimed hit it is. The full episode is now available online. It’s a great interview with some questions and answers you wouldn’t typically hear. Watch it now:

Look for more news and information about The Last of Us: Left Behind and all multiplayer DLC content that will be available via the Season Pass in the near future.

+ jchill001 on November 18th, 2013 at 2:03 pm said:

SMEEF

+ Eric Monacelli on November 18th, 2013 at 2:15 pm said:

SWEET! :)

+ MarkakaJin on November 18th, 2013 at 2:13 pm said:

We need more taunts.

+ Eric Monacelli on November 18th, 2013 at 2:16 pm said:

There are gestures in the game…..not really taunts.

+ GnomeWizard on November 18th, 2013 at 2:21 pm said:

Pump taunt would be epic!
*I mean pump “gesture”
:P

+ Ejsponge61 on November 18th, 2013 at 2:23 pm said:

So, you guys got to talk about video games on Public Television? I’m so glad to see this artform progressing.

Haven’t picked up TLOU yet due to money issues and my PS3 dying. But Walmart is selling PS3′s for $150 and TLOU for $25, so I’m definitely going to take advantage!

Good luck in the VGAs! Or VGX as it’s called now.

+ Eric Monacelli on November 18th, 2013 at 4:36 pm said:

Yes! We were stoked to be on Between the Lines. It was very cool.

Thanks!

+ CaruthK on November 18th, 2013 at 2:35 pm said:

Now only if all games were pretreated in this light. Wonderful interview

+ Eric Monacelli on November 18th, 2013 at 5:24 pm said:

Thank you. We were very happy with the interview!

+ Lens09 on November 18th, 2013 at 2:36 pm said:

As a season pass holder I am very pleased with the regular extra content that’s coming in. But… Is there any chance at all that there will be more weapons added to the multiplayer at any point? I was thinking the MP pretty much uses all the weapons from SP and so there none to add, however the Semi-auto was created from scratch right? Just a thought.

+ Eric Monacelli on November 18th, 2013 at 5:25 pm said:

We don’t have any plans to add more weapons. The Last of Us is a world of scarcity and what’s available is what’s available.

+ JENNY101282 on November 18th, 2013 at 2:42 pm said:

#YoutubeDOWN!!

Gonna have to check it out tomorrow…

+ Eric Monacelli on November 18th, 2013 at 5:25 pm said:

Right?! Sadness but it’ll be back.

+ darkwonders on November 18th, 2013 at 2:43 pm said:

If there’s weapons to add, I’d hope they’re free. There shouldn’t be any advantage to people who spend extra money on a game.

+ Eric Monacelli on November 18th, 2013 at 5:30 pm said:

We don’t intend to add weapons at any point right now.

+ Jagjaguwar on November 18th, 2013 at 2:59 pm said:

The last time I came back to this multiplayer, maybe a month ago, every other game I joined had the hack/glitch/lag issue where somebody was invisible or invincible, shivving our whole team over and over again. Not sure if it’s just a latency issue or something more malicious, but it made me seriously consider ever coming back to the game. Is it fixed, whatever it was?

+ Eric Monacelli on November 18th, 2013 at 5:32 pm said:

Most likely. It sounds kind of like a network issue you could have had. If you have more issues please send us a direct message.

+ Cotrip on November 18th, 2013 at 2:59 pm said:

I need that single DLC ASAP! =(

Btw Eric, already voted for The Last of Us (every category) and Naughty Dog in the VGX site. Hope you guys win it, because you deserve every prize you can get. Loved TLOU so much!

+ Eric Monacelli on November 18th, 2013 at 5:32 pm said:

Early next year!

Thank you! Please share your votes with everyone.

+ Pikmologist on November 18th, 2013 at 3:24 pm said:

The multiplayer is the one thing about The Last of Us I do not know by heart. I beat the campaign five times, and on every difficulty, it’s indeed my favorite of the generation (possibly of all time).

I have the season pass I should probably catch up and start playing The Last of Us again. I’m very excited for Left Behind DLC, and even Uncharted on PS4. I picked up a PS4 yesterday just because it was announced, I am that happy. I hope to see a new trailer at the VGA’s this year (VGX). Speaking of VGX I voted for anything The Last of Us related. The Last of Us deserves Game of the Year.

Thanks for the update Eric. Naughty Dog 4 Life!

+ Eric Monacelli on November 18th, 2013 at 5:33 pm said:

Woo hoo! Thanks for all the support and love. Keep it coming! :)

+ Assais on November 18th, 2013 at 3:27 pm said:

Damn they’re still talking about this game? I’m sorry but it was the most overhyped game ever. I was anxiously waiting for its release counting every week but then when I finally got it I just didn’t feel it. You just do a LOT of scavenging, fight some monsters, move to the next area. rinse, repeat. It’s just so slow and repetitive. My head starts to hurt within an hour of having to check around every nook and cranny of the screen to search for items.

I beat it twice and sold it. I’m sorry ND but this is was a HUGE letdown compared to Uncharted, it’s just so much better, more entertaining, much better characters, amazing scenery and FUN combat. So damn excited for Uncharted 4.

+ Eric Monacelli on November 18th, 2013 at 5:35 pm said:

Sorry to hear we let you down. Hopefully you enjoyed some of your The Last of Us experience.

Glad you’re excited about UNCHARTED on PS4 tho!

+ GABEv01 on November 18th, 2013 at 3:44 pm said:

This is my very first blog comment post from the new PS4 browser… So sweet!!! Oh yeah… I cant wait for Left Behind DLC. Maybe here I will experience what the Comic Book kept intriguing me with… What really happened to them n how they got bitten. The horror n anticipation is killing me just like it did when I waited for each comic book issue to get released. TLOU best EVER!!

+ Eric Monacelli on November 18th, 2013 at 5:36 pm said:

Awesome, you read The Last of Us: American Dreams. Good deal. We’ll be talking about what’s up with the Single Player DLC in the near future.

+ GABEv01 on November 18th, 2013 at 3:49 pm said:

Btw… Theres a pluggin missing that wont let me see any videos throu the PS4 browser. Is there a fix for this? Wheres the YouTube app or any video App in the PS4? Feels like the PS3 had so many more features and details… I can only hope for future better updates… Till then… TLOU MP! Hehe!

+ Eric Monacelli on November 18th, 2013 at 5:37 pm said:

That sounds like an issue for the PS4 technical issues forum. Although YouTube was down for a bit today.

Enjoy TLOU MP!

+ Spine999 on November 18th, 2013 at 3:53 pm said:

Are we gonna have some new trophies soon please?

+ Eric Monacelli on November 18th, 2013 at 5:38 pm said:

We are definitely looking at getting new trophies in there. What and when is still TBD. We’ll see and it should happen. Not 100% yet tho.

+ D-Squad3 on November 18th, 2013 at 4:07 pm said:

Yes! Keep the head and mask items coming!!!

+ Eric Monacelli on November 18th, 2013 at 5:38 pm said:

You’re welcome! Enjoy!

+ TigerStealth on November 18th, 2013 at 4:20 pm said:

Please bring TLOU to PS4!

+ Eric Monacelli on November 18th, 2013 at 5:39 pm said:

Enjoy the new head items! :)

+ KingDubin on November 18th, 2013 at 5:04 pm said:

CAN ANYBODY ON THE PS BLOG PLEASE, AT THE VERY LEAST, COMMENT, AND AT THE VERY MOST, CONFIRM EITHER WAY IF GRAN TURISMO 6 IS GOING TO BE A DAY 1 DIGITAL DL IN NORTH AMERICA???? I’M ONLY ASKING B/C IT’S ALREADY BEEN CONFIRMED FOR THE REST OF THE WORLD EXCEPT NORTH AMERICA. QUIT DRAGGING YOUR FEET ON THIS ISSUE, SCEA, AND LET THE HARDCORE GT FANS KNOW!!!!! EVEN A ‘no’ OR ‘no comment’ WOULD SUFFICE ATM.

THANK YOU.

Randy

+ Eric Monacelli on November 18th, 2013 at 5:38 pm said:

Sorry, but your answer is in another blog post.

+ VsAssassin on November 18th, 2013 at 5:37 pm said:

Awesome head items!!! I love how these cool head items are beginning to look very unique by the day.

I just have one request: Would it be possible in the next patch or update for the customization to allow us change head/hat/face items colors?

I also would like for more ‘logo’ placements, cuz right now we only have the backpack, helmet, and the other one I forgot.

Anyway, thanks ND for these great additions to the ever-addicting MP of TLoU!!!

+ Eric Monacelli on November 18th, 2013 at 5:40 pm said:

Glad you like these! We wanted the world of Factions to have a distinct look and feel and too much customization would take you out of the Clan experience and meta-game for the world. Wild colors and goofy items just don’t fit into the world.

+ waldowalso on November 18th, 2013 at 7:04 pm said:

The Last of Us is one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time, and I’ve been playing arcade/video/PC games since the late 70s.

Joel and Ellie’s quest in this post-apocalyptic world left an impact on me, much in the way I might react after watching something written by Rod Serling.

Easily game of the year in all categories for me. Naughty Dog surprised me with this game and it gives me new hope for the future of quality video game development.

You guys truly came through with this one. Thank you for all of your hard work making this game a reality for us to enjoy. Bravo!

+ classiccrank on November 18th, 2013 at 7:04 pm said:

Before committing to the season pass I came on here specifically and asked you about trophies and was told it was definitely happening “dependent on DLC drops” then none came. Went on ND forums and asked again, was told it was coming just not with this batch, but in the future.

Now you’re saying maybe some in the future, but “it’s not 100%”?

Seriously what is going on? Are trophies really that hard to add? Am starting to regret buying another season pass with ND, of course fool me twice shame on me I guess.

+ KingDubin on November 18th, 2013 at 7:18 pm said:

@ Eric:

Well, can you please direct me to it? B/C, if anybody from SCEA did respond to my question, I don’t see any reply whatsoever on the numerous comments across various blog posts that I posted the question on. And, trust me, I looked EVERYWHERE where I posted comments and I didn’t see a reply.

Randy

+ waldowalso on November 18th, 2013 at 7:42 pm said:

What a great interview! Earth Abides is an awesome book, one of my childhood favorites, and early influence. When Mad Max came around I was ready with open arms. haha

Really good job with the interview. The game deserved this kind feature and I applaud all involved.

+ Rich8606 on November 18th, 2013 at 8:28 pm said:

Sweet~ Money well spent on that season pass.

+ KingDubin on November 18th, 2013 at 9:01 pm said:

CAN SOMEBODY AT PS BLOG/SCEA PLEASE CONFIRM IF GRAN TURISMO 6 IS GOING TO BE A DAY 1 DIGITAL DL IN NORTH AMERICA? I’M ONLY ASKING B/C IT’S ALREADY BEEN CONFIRMED FOR THE REST OF THE WORLD AND I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THERE ARE MANY GT FANS THAT WOULD LIKE TO HEAR THIS NEWS. PLEASE LET US KNOW EITHER WAY, OR EVEN PM ME ON PSN.

THANK YOU.

Randy

+ Onlinedata on November 18th, 2013 at 10:20 pm said:

Hello Amazing game…..

+ kmetek on November 18th, 2013 at 11:07 pm said:

Eric & ND: Please make another DLC, i would preorder in advance…..happy with season pass of course.

+ Welmosca on November 18th, 2013 at 11:19 pm said:

Will have to check the interview tomorrow…but thats some sweet amount of cool items,thank you ND…but I must ask….why are you guys neglecting Gas masks?…I mean those were supposed to be in the customization since the beginning seeing that its a must have item in TLoU universe.Come on we need Gas masks…anyone that wears a Gas mask instantly becomes a bada**.

+ Welmosca on November 18th, 2013 at 11:22 pm said:

@ Eric Monacelli

What a fantastic reply to #19….thats what I like to hear….I agree 100% with that decision.

+ SweatySasquatch on November 19th, 2013 at 12:34 am said:

Is it wrong that I instantly read this as Neil Drunkman?
We bought a Season Pass not Season Hats Naughty Dog lol.

+ passivefamiliar on November 19th, 2013 at 3:47 am said:

I very much enjoy this game. Bought it during Halloween sale, and sadly have not finished it yet. Being busy…working, but its one of my favorite games still so far. But the multiplayer is not for me, it seems very unbalanced. Some matches are even, but most times one team, usually just 2 people destroy everyone. And imI’m not even sure why….but iI dontdon’t fault ND for it. Multiplayer is a hard sell anymore, seems like it is forced onto aa lot of games its not needed.

keep on doing what your doing. My only friendly advice is to just worry more on singlplayer (which your doing very well) iI just ddon’t want you to shift to much onto online play.

excited to finish this, and then buy the single player dlc, but imI’m not bothering with the season pass if most of the content is just multiplayer stuff. Nice, just not for me.

+ GaminFanatic on November 19th, 2013 at 5:27 am said:

So, just to confirm, is the the last content for the Season pass, besides the single player dlc? I was hoping for maybe another map or two and a new game mode…

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on November 19th, 2013 at 7:38 am said:

This game was impressive but im still a die hard Uncharted fan..and thats probably the reason why im still playing UNCHARTED ONLINE..and looking forward to UNCHARTED on PS4..that game and a new GOD OF WAR or SOCOM would make my PS4 gaming dreams come true :) So keep up the fantastic work ND! and please dont forget about Jak and Dax .they would blow Knack sales out into little pieces (pun intended) ..lol

+ Welmosca on November 19th, 2013 at 8:22 am said:

@ 33 nYcFrEeWiLL82 – Do you still play Uncharted “2″?…if you do please add me.

+ RickDiculous on November 19th, 2013 at 9:04 am said:

@GaminFanatic

No. There is another MULTIPLAYER DLC drop later in the first half of 2014 AFTER the single player DLC. That will be the third and final drop included in the Season Pass. See this blog post: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/09/27/the-last-of-us-future-dlc-plans/

+ GaminFanatic on November 19th, 2013 at 12:02 pm said:

@35 I appreciate the link, thanks for clearing it up.

+ SolomanStarks on November 19th, 2013 at 12:49 pm said:

ADD A NEW GAME MODE PLEASE!!!! The one we have are good but getting old plus if you add 4 new maps with no new game mode….it get well old and lame!

+ Nano1124 on November 19th, 2013 at 2:39 pm said:

Do season pass holders get the pre-order bonuses of Left Behind?

+ xKillzonelifex on November 19th, 2013 at 2:59 pm said:

This is probably the best multiplayer I ever played and single player, I always find myself diverting away from it for a little while and just coming right back to it in the end. The stealth is the best i’ve ever seen and sneaking around shiving people is just so fun it never gets old for me. This game influenced me alot, I even bought a Fur Aviator. Hoping for a TLOU 2.

+ tusunami on November 19th, 2013 at 7:46 pm said:

Glad I have the season pass, much better than paying 50 bucks for season pass for Cod ghost lol.

+ Kchow23 on November 19th, 2013 at 7:56 pm said:

Got my season pass after seeing the reveal for the SP DLC! Looking forward to it hopefully I can play TLOU with the DS4 :)

+ kmetek1975 on November 19th, 2013 at 10:43 pm said:

more SP DLC + TLOU 2….

TAKE MY MONEY :D

+ kmetek on November 19th, 2013 at 10:45 pm said:

i bet if ND makes a poll about more SP DLC or TLOU2 it would be 80-90% YES

+ Welmosca on November 19th, 2013 at 11:13 pm said:

@ 39 xKillzonelifex – Thats funny.

+ Skillz_That_Envy on November 20th, 2013 at 5:26 am said:

Dear Naughty Dog:

We want SP DLCs! Keep your helmets and masks.

Sincerely,
The rest of us

+ TheeSpongeman on November 20th, 2013 at 9:54 am said:

Ehhh… what’s with all the hats? I can get all that nonsense of Team Fortress 2. I want to know what the DLC content is gamewise. I’m kinda hoping for some sort of ‘horde’ mode for people who like to play together, rather than against eachother. These hats are nice and all, but I’ve never spent a penny on something that irrelevant to the gameplay. Is my season pass really just gathering a closet full of hats and masks I’ll most likely never use? It’s rather concerning. Plus 9 bucks for some hats is way to expensive in my book. Again, it doesn’t change the gameplay or influence it in one bit.

+ CambodianPwn on November 21st, 2013 at 7:39 pm said:

Very smart, showing the past what Ellie was like when he was with Marlene, is it possible to see her mother, like I heard about Ellie and Riley in the dlc. Is it possible between the times 2014 and 2032 of Joel’s past?