PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

PS4 Global Sales Update

Andrew House's Avatar + Posted by Andrew House on Dec 03, 2013 // President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

In what is shaping up to be a historic year for gamers, I’m delighted to share an important new milestone with you. PS4’s North American debut on November 15th was PlayStation’s largest ever, with more than one million gamers picking up a PS4 in just 24 hours. Now, with PS4’s global launch expanding to a total of 32 countries worldwide, including Europe and Latin America, I’m proud to announce that more than 2.1 million PS4s have been sold.

It’s an impressive and record-setting accomplishment for our company and for our industry, and we couldn’t have done it without you. I want to personally thank PlayStation fans, both old and new, for your vote of confidence. The best part: the PS4 journey has just begun. In addition to an incredible lineup of PS4 games from the best developers in the world, we will continue to introduce valuable new features and services to PS4 in the months and years ahead.

While PS4’s capabilities will continue to evolve, our commitment to gamers and breakthrough entertainment remains steadfast. We believe that videogames represent the pinnacle of artistry and entertainment, and we will work tirelessly to make sure that PlayStation remains the best place to play.

Thank you for your passion and your support — we couldn’t have done this without you.

222 Comments   1 Reply

+ thewindowsguy on December 3rd, 2013 at 5:52 am said:

Any news on the USB headset support or YouTube? Are these going to eventually be working on the PS4?

+ thewindowsguy on December 3rd, 2013 at 5:53 am said:

Congratulations Sony. I had a feeling that when the first official announcement was made, this console would be a success.

+ remanutd5 on December 3rd, 2013 at 5:55 am said:

Congrats, the system is great. Now put sony japan and Cerny to work on Knack 2, oh my i freaking love Knack, the sequel needs to be bigger, better and not that linear, combat is simple but great, make it a little open world, online co op and longer campaign.

Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer is great as well, now bring the games. When is Driveclub supposed to be released? inFAMOUS Second Son? The Order 1886?

+ Vcheese on December 3rd, 2013 at 5:58 am said:

Glad to hear that and being part of your success. Congratulations! Now get back to work on that multimedia functions missing on ps4 and bring us some more games to play.

+ intheface88 on December 3rd, 2013 at 6:01 am said:

And we (Sony “people”) still haven’t seen the craziness that is going to ensue once it is released in Japan. I’m going to go WAY out on a limb and say sales will double once it’s released there. Maybe that’s a bit much. Either way, glad to see Sony, a company that I am completely loyal to in all Technology that they make (Computers, TVs, etc…) because of their consistent level of high-quality and customer support. Thank you Sony and glad to be a part of this record-setting endeavor.

+ Elder-Mike on December 3rd, 2013 at 6:12 am said:

Congratulations guys, when your a PS Fan always a PS Fan.

+ Od1n757 on December 3rd, 2013 at 6:14 am said:

so when am i gonna be able to video chat on the ps4 because i have this camera with limited uses

+ MG_PANDORA on December 3rd, 2013 at 6:14 am said:

Congratulations Sony! Long Live The King!!

+ Cor_76 on December 3rd, 2013 at 6:22 am said:

Well I’m happy for you guys. My brother and I are enjoying the PS4, still enjoying our PS2 and PS3 as well as our PSPs and PSVita so it didn’t really surprise us you would come through for your community

+ Sadorox on December 3rd, 2013 at 6:29 am said:

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!!!!! Hail the Champion of gaming consoles!

+ paulogy on December 3rd, 2013 at 6:29 am said:

Wow, amazing guys. Congratulations!

I’m looking forward to a nice big install base for PS4 to encourage excellent developer support.

+ devinw2426 on December 3rd, 2013 at 6:36 am said:

Well, you surely dropped the ball when you didn’t manufacutre enoughtto meet the demands. Theres no reason that the shelves should be empty with a launch specifically set for the Holidays. There will be alot of disappointment on Christmas Morning.

+ KazeEternal on December 3rd, 2013 at 6:37 am said:

Don’t suppose you guys could hound Ubisoft over AC4 PS4′s Ubisoft Server connectivity issue?

I’m locked out of half my games features and it isn’t reflecting well on my PSr.

+ KingKacchi90 on December 3rd, 2013 at 6:37 am said:

Congrats Sony, u guys are awesome. Cant wait to see what other games u got in store for us. Awesome Start to a brand new console

+ Neoarchon on December 3rd, 2013 at 6:38 am said:

Just wait till it gets released in Japan…..

+ Shane_O on December 3rd, 2013 at 6:39 am said:

Great job, Sony!

Now here comes the difficult part; maintaining a consistent message of quality and feature rich content for the consumer or potential consumer and keeping your mindful, supportive approach to the gaming and development communities.

Congratulations on a fantastic launch!

+ NoGodsOnlyMan on December 3rd, 2013 at 6:50 am said:

Short and Sweet

Dont Hold Back

Love my PS4

+ idn86i on December 3rd, 2013 at 6:52 am said:

Thank you, Sony!!! I still have the PSOne, PS2, PS3 and love them all! What amazes me is that they’re all still working! All those good memories :’). PS4 will be the next milestone in console greatness for years to come.

+ Man_The_King on December 3rd, 2013 at 7:00 am said:

Congratulations!

My own June 10th Launch edition pre-order was a tiny part of that 2.1 mil number.

+ swan-ton-bom on December 3rd, 2013 at 7:13 am said:

Greatness Awaited! lol I honestly thought it’d be way over 2 mil at this point though, but it just came out so xD

+ hitoshura78 on December 3rd, 2013 at 7:13 am said:

Congrats!!!! Will be buying one in March when inFamous comes out. Keep bringing those AAA games please!

+ djnealb on December 3rd, 2013 at 7:18 am said:

While it may not be perfect (yet), the PS4 is still an amazing system that I love more every time I play it. Any word on when bluetooth headset and DLNA support will be added in. Those are really the only things that I want in the system at the moment. Oh, and to be able to organize my games into folders like I could on the PS3.

+ SCoopat on December 3rd, 2013 at 7:25 am said:

that’s great and all…. how’s local media playback coming along??

+ MarinoBrea on December 3rd, 2013 at 7:27 am said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! And keep updating us with every of these milestones! I want to keep track of each one as PS4 breaks through and sits in its rightful throne! THE RETURN OF THE KING!

+ Kaynos72 on December 3rd, 2013 at 7:32 am said:

Gratz Sony, you made a hell of a good console, having nothing but fun since i bought it last week.

+ syed-wajahath77 on December 3rd, 2013 at 7:34 am said:

OH DUDE! WHEN IS PS4 GOING TO RELEASE IN INDIA AND MIDDLE EAST.I AM GREAT FAN OF IT AND WAITING EAGERLY!
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IT

+ jahonius80 on December 3rd, 2013 at 7:36 am said:

Congrats Sony people!
This, by far is unprecedented sales record!

+ SeanStrange on December 3rd, 2013 at 7:38 am said:

Congrats Sony! I just wish I could find a PS4 here around Montreal. It seems to be sold out everywhere!

+ TheCraZyCloWn on December 3rd, 2013 at 7:40 am said:

I’m always glad to be one of the first gamers on the new Sony PlayStation platforms. It is such a privilege. PS are the best consoles ever. Period.

+ hmw_kamikaze on December 3rd, 2013 at 7:42 am said:

Loving the PS4, not liking the fact that Music Unlimited now requires credit card information for activation… Like, it’s flat-out making me angry.

+ Sharing4Fun on December 3rd, 2013 at 7:47 am said:

Yes. greatness await.now is would be a matter of time until they put all these ps1, ps2, and ps3 classic on ps4 via gakai.i got this ideal how about you come with the year of ps1 next year and put all the ps1 games from best to worse then 2015 is the year of ps2 and 2016 the year of ps3 but just pick a date and month when those system launch before to celebrate it.by the way i love greatness await challenge in ps home i felt like i was in the e3 event.

+ afigueroa on December 3rd, 2013 at 7:48 am said:

Happy to be a Playstation fan since the PSone appeared. I’ve owned every console and handheld.

+ T1NGO on December 3rd, 2013 at 8:00 am said:

Congratulations Sony, awaitness has arrived PS4. Muchas felicidades a todo el equipo de Sony.

+ Ryumoau on December 3rd, 2013 at 8:01 am said:

congrats to Sony! Those numbers will hopefully encourage more developers to start making next gen exclusive games since the install base is pretty big to start.

+ hmw_kamikaze on December 3rd, 2013 at 8:04 am said:

Again, thanks for the PS4. Overall I do love my console.

To dig further, it would be AWESOME if I could get Music Unlimited working without having to offer cc info… You know, cause you can actually listen to Music while you play games now. I didn’t really use Music Unlimited before since YouTube plays most music totally for free (which I’ll have to resort back to).

I have cc info to provide, but honestly just don’t want to (thinking of the infamous PS Hack from a while ago)… What’s the point of having PSN cards if you guys insist on cc information?

+ zombie9 on December 3rd, 2013 at 8:04 am said:

still can’t find one and why are they still doing pre orders for a machine that is out? I’m still waiting on the Games personally and I’m still not buying a VITA.

+ OmegaSpear on December 3rd, 2013 at 8:06 am said:

Return of the King

+ xShanghaiGAMERx on December 3rd, 2013 at 8:54 am said:

Thank you for developing my favorite gaming console of all time. So proud to have contributed to the PS4′s powerful launch!

+ DustoMan on December 3rd, 2013 at 8:59 am said:

You need to tell Best Buy to quit holding them for their own made up “events” and let customers buy them.

+ Eonkid00 on December 3rd, 2013 at 9:11 am said:

When is the PlayStation 4 going to launch in India…? :( Eagerly waiting… PS,PS2,PS3 waiting for PS4.

+ Aldebar_US on December 3rd, 2013 at 9:14 am said:

hum…… clearly deserved. I’ m glad you learned from the mistake you made with the PS3. Ps4 is clearly the best system to date.
Long live the The King.

+ lostlemon on December 3rd, 2013 at 9:21 am said:

Congratulations! I’ll certainly be getting one soon enough.

+ Jeo on December 3rd, 2013 at 9:30 am said:

Hey Sony, how about instead of bragging about how many sales you made, you address the fact that once again your network has been compromised. How about some kind of a public announcement letting people know this has been going on since Thanksgiving with people having transfers made and used to buy FIFA points.

Apparently attempting to link to the article in the support forum will require my post to be approved, so if you doubt it, just go over there yourself. Almost 10 pages of people dealing with $150 in fradulent charges.

+ Erlaxis on December 3rd, 2013 at 9:35 am said:

I’m one of the new millions of happy PS4 owners. Just got mine last friday when it came out in my region and had a great weekend playing Killzone, Resogun and ACIV. The console works even better than I expected.

Dat remote-play. Dat Dualshock 4. Dat Twitch streaming. Dat snapshot sharing. Dem automatic updates.

Just like with game features, the console features that I’m enjoying the most are the ones I didn’t even knew I wanted.

Also, Flower looks awesome at 1080p/60fps. Journey and Unfinished Swan would be great on PS4 as well *wink wink*.

+ INFIDEL_JIHAD on December 3rd, 2013 at 9:36 am said:

Amazing sales figures compared to previous launches ( PS3 ) … Been waiting on the worldwide sales figures since the European launch 2.1 million is huge … To all the people saying sony should have made more / REALLY …
Sony put out 1.1 million more units then the Xbox1 … Back when pre-orders were being taken sony made the news For how long they were taking pre-orders … They put out an astounding amount of units for that time period … All I can say is u should have pre-ordered if it meant that much to you … Why blame SONY for your lack of insight?

+ Moeeed on December 3rd, 2013 at 9:38 am said:

Congradulations.

I am so HAPPY SONY Has pulled together after the terrible PS3 Hardware fiasco.

Lets keep the momentum going!

+ YungShep on December 3rd, 2013 at 9:47 am said:

I’m actually playing Knack as I stumbled across the news! Congrats. Tell EA to fix battlefield 4

+ YungShep on December 3rd, 2013 at 9:48 am said:

And lol to you whiners who don’t have a PS4. You should know better by now, snooze u lose, period.

+ BeastModeDan on December 3rd, 2013 at 9:53 am said:

I read this in Andrew House’s voice, it was fantastic.

+ brookm5 on December 3rd, 2013 at 9:54 am said:

Well thats great! We mad you millions on console sales plus another 1.5 million on ps plus sold ok so wheres our 1 free ps4 game of appreciation? And im not talking about a game like flower or somthing weak like that im talking about a big title give us a big exclusive! Give us infamous for example then your showing some good appreciation dont just brag about the millions we! Us! The fans made you! I love playstation i always have always will even if they dont give us nothing big(infamous) for free lol hey its business right?