PS4-The Order

Minecraft Hits PS3 December 17th in North America

Owen Hill's Avatar + Posted by Owen Hill on Dec 16, 2013 // Mojang

Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition

Season’s greetings! Owen from Mojang here. I have some exciting news that you might be interested in. It’s about Minecraft – a game that’s sold over 30 million copies to date. Minecraft is a game about breaking and placing blocks. At first, you’ll probably build simple structures to protect against nocturnal monsters. Later on, you might work with your friends to create wonderful, imaginative things.

It can also be about adventuring or watching the sun rise over a blocky ocean. It’s pretty. Brave players battle terrible things in The Nether, which is more scary that pretty. You can also visit a land of mushrooms if it sounds more like your cup of tea.

Minecraft: PlayStation 3 EditionMinecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition

Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition will be available to download from PSN on December 17th in North America. Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition and Minecraft: PS Vita Edition are also being developed, but we don’t have release dates yet. Expect them sometime next year.

I’ve received a few questions concerning the PS3 edition over the past few months, so let’s clear them up before I get thrown off the blog…

Minecraft: PlayStation 3 EditionMinecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition

Q: Does Minecraft: PS3 Edition feature everything from the other versions of Minecraft?
Minecraft: PS3 Edition comes with everything present in other console versions. They’re pretty much identical to play, and will be developed in tandem from now on.

Q: Will Minecraft: PS3 Edition feature DLC texture packs and skins?
Downloadable skins and texture packs will be available from PSN soon after release.

Q: Will there be PlayStation-specific content?
PlayStation-specific skins and texture packs would be cool! Fingers crossed, eh?

We don’t know yet, sorry. We’ll let you know as soon as we do.

Q: Does Herobrine feature in Minecraft: PS3 Edition?
Probably not.

That’s it for now! I’ll do my best to answer any more queries you have below! Merry Christmas/Nadolig Llawen everyone!

Owen – @bopogamel

Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition

PAGE 1 2 3 8

+ JeRzYzFyNeSt on December 16th, 2013 at 6:18 am said:

Nice to bad I’m waiting for the PS4 version lol

+ JimmyHACK on December 16th, 2013 at 6:20 am said:

Good hustle getting out before year-end. Now for that PS4 version.

+ RandomReduX on December 16th, 2013 at 6:20 am said:

Any word on a retail release for any Sony platform? I ask as a retail employee who WILL be asked this by parents, lol ^^;

Owen Hill's Avatar

+ Owen HIll on December 16th, 2013 at 8:35 am said:

It’s download only for now, sorry. :)

+ Link2999 on December 16th, 2013 at 6:21 am said:

Also waiting on the PS4 version here. Found what could be a mistake in your blog post though, you said: “Q: Will Minecraft: PS3 Edition feature Remote Play or compatibility with the PS4 or PS Vita editions?” – I think you meant “cross play” or “cross buy”.

+ Rabzinatorz on December 16th, 2013 at 6:22 am said:

1 Question, How much does it cost?

+ xZEEZO on December 16th, 2013 at 6:22 am said:

Awesome to hear that!, any news on when the ps vita and ps4 versions are coming out?
Thank you playstation and thank you mojang.

Owen Hill's Avatar

+ Owen HIll on December 16th, 2013 at 8:45 am said:

They’ll both be out next year, but no specific dates yet, sorrty.

+ JuggaloMemnoch on December 16th, 2013 at 6:22 am said:

About time! lol
Any chance of this being Cross-Buy once the other versions are out?

+ jkerz on December 16th, 2013 at 6:23 am said:

I didn’t even realize it was close to being done, especially this soon. I thought it wouldn’t be out till 2014. Awesome work!

+ cubbielovr on December 16th, 2013 at 6:24 am said:

How much, and I agree on the Cross-Buy. I’d do that in a heartbeat!

+ GynPLaYeR on December 16th, 2013 at 6:25 am said:

This would be more fun on the VITA!

+ gokugt25 on December 16th, 2013 at 6:25 am said:

YEAH! day 1 purchase for me

+ lilturtleboy on December 16th, 2013 at 6:26 am said:

I am waiting for the PS4 version but I would get it for PS3 also if it were cross-buy.

+ Motherboop on December 16th, 2013 at 6:30 am said:

My dream has finally come true- thanks Mojang/4j!!!

+ fredster90 on December 16th, 2013 at 6:33 am said:

Amazing I thought this hame wae only on ps4

+ Korghano on December 16th, 2013 at 6:33 am said:

What a wonderful surprise! I’m waiting on the PS4 version though as I sold my PS3. Would love to know if this is Cross-Buy as well since I also own a Vita but can’t justify a double purchase.

+ Motherboop on December 16th, 2013 at 6:36 am said:

Platinum trophy?

Owen Hill's Avatar

+ Owen HIll on December 16th, 2013 at 8:35 am said:

For sure!

+ Jerel on December 16th, 2013 at 6:38 am said:

If you guys do Crossbuy, I’d buy it tomorrow. Otherwise, I might as well wait for the PS4 version.

+ snakeeyes211 on December 16th, 2013 at 6:39 am said:

OMG

+ akisuo on December 16th, 2013 at 6:40 am said:

Hell yeah!! Is this going to be cross buy later in the future?

Owen Hill's Avatar

+ Owen HIll on December 16th, 2013 at 8:36 am said:

We don’t have info on this kind of thing yet, sorry.

+ jhernandez360 on December 16th, 2013 at 6:41 am said:

Thank you!

+ DaddyJenkins on December 16th, 2013 at 6:41 am said:

$19.99?

+ chavez1138 on December 16th, 2013 at 6:41 am said:

Instant buy if it’s cross-buy, I will have to pass if not… only going to buy it 1 time so I’ll be better off waiting for a PS4 or Vita version.

+ jhernandez360 on December 16th, 2013 at 6:45 am said:

You Just put the iceing on this years Christmas!!

Owen Hill's Avatar

+ Owen HIll on December 16th, 2013 at 8:44 am said:

Lovely! Have a good ‘un!

+ SonicRift on December 16th, 2013 at 6:49 am said:

If it’s a cross-buy game, I’ll buy it tomorrow. I’ve already bought this game once. I hope you’re not expecting me to buy it 3 more times to get it on all my Playstations.

+ Mando44646 on December 16th, 2013 at 6:49 am said:

STILL no PS4/Vita release? What gives!? It was originally supposed to be a launch game with PS4 :/

+ Sonicfan11589 on December 16th, 2013 at 6:49 am said:

If i buy the PS3 version, when the PS4 version releases, will there be an upgrade fee?

Owen Hill's Avatar

+ Owen HIll on December 16th, 2013 at 8:37 am said:

We don’t have any details on the PS4 version yet, sorry.

+ Mando44646 on December 16th, 2013 at 6:51 am said:

Ill also clarify, since you did not say if the game is Cross-Buy, I will not be buying it on PS3. I want it on Vita and I will not buy it more than once for that.

I love Minecraft, sorry but you need to give us more info than that after making PS gamers wait for so long on it

+ snowcrave on December 16th, 2013 at 6:52 am said:

also waiting for the ps4 version but if it comes out cross buy so i can upgrade it when it comes out i will buy on ps3 hopefully they deliver

+ The_Dukenator on December 16th, 2013 at 6:59 am said:

There better be a Minecraft demo.

@25 It was never a launch game for PS4.

@6 Next year.

Owen Hill's Avatar

+ Owen HIll on December 16th, 2013 at 8:46 am said:

There is a demo/trial. :)

+ The_Dukenator on December 16th, 2013 at 7:01 am said:

@3 Retail release is unknown at this point. Could ask Mojang directly.

+ Gorvi on December 16th, 2013 at 7:01 am said:

Price? Cross Buy? My son has really, really been looking forward to this, he’s going to be very excited. :)

+ jonjon0890 on December 16th, 2013 at 7:01 am said:

I’m hoping this would be $09.99 but I doubt it.
I’m expect this this to be $19.99 on PSN to match XBL Store’s price which kinda of suck.

+ JuggaloMemnoch on December 16th, 2013 at 7:08 am said:

Just lettin people know.. Mojang “answered” some people on PS Blog Europe.. Their quote about ‘Cross-Buy’

“We can’t talk about that kind of thing yet, sorry. More info as soon as we can. :)”

I really hope there’s Cross-Buy.. I would love to buy it tomorrow but there’s no way I’m gonna pay a second time for the PS4.

+ Zezzler on December 16th, 2013 at 7:11 am said:

Cross-buy, Cross-save and Cross-play are a MUST for this game!

I’ve enjoyed Minecraft ages ago on PC (stopped playing around 1.0 release), but I’d love to play it again on my Vita, or split-screen with some friends. Thanks for the PlayStation love!

+ The_Dukenator on December 16th, 2013 at 7:19 am said:

@34 Minecraft PC was recently updated to 1.7.4.

@32 It’ll be about $20.

+ XpAcErX on December 16th, 2013 at 7:22 am said:

@The_Dukenator

Your wrong they announced Minecraft as a launch title on stage at Gamescom 2013. It was announced that it was delayed a bout a week or so before the PS4 launched in the US.

+ PRIMUS_420 on December 16th, 2013 at 7:26 am said:

Waiting on that ps4 version. If it is cross buy I would pick it up sooner.

+ RoII_chan on December 16th, 2013 at 7:29 am said:

Do we get the same content than the PC version?

+ BlueRobotX on December 16th, 2013 at 7:34 am said:

Whoa, this was a nice surprise as I logged onto the blog this morning, didn’t know Mincraft was coming to the PS3 so soon. Will there be a demo, what’s the price?

+ jonjon0890 on December 16th, 2013 at 7:36 am said:

I’ll wait for it to be $5.00 or buy it @ the end of the month since it will cost $19.99.

+ PainOfSarrow on December 16th, 2013 at 7:41 am said:

terraria was just as terrible as this looks..

+ bajor27 on December 16th, 2013 at 7:43 am said:

Count me in as another needing Cross-buy for me to purchase this tomorrow. I don’t really care about it in the end, but this is a game I will want to keep coming back to for a while, but my PS3 will soon be a distant memory (I already own a PS4)

I will either want to play this on Vita or PS4 in the long-run, and I can wait a little longer if need be (ie no cross-buy) to get it for my platform of choice.

+ mike02x2 on December 16th, 2013 at 7:46 am said:

Please add it to the PSN+ for Free and add local multiplayer as well as Online as well!

+ Original_Slumdog on December 16th, 2013 at 7:48 am said:

Do we know if this is Cross buy for all systems or do we have to buy every minecraft for the systems?

+ Teflon02 on December 16th, 2013 at 7:57 am said:

PS Vita and PS4 versions are the only ones I have a interest in, odd the PS4 one comes after the PS3 version. I don’t wanna be that guy, but is that competition policy’s at work? But foreal I knew it wouldn’t make it for release

+ moon4567 on December 16th, 2013 at 8:00 am said:

Could be nice to know if there’s some sort of Cross-buy thing, that’s a big detail I think.

+ Ryumoau on December 16th, 2013 at 8:02 am said:

i have never played this but heard great things. hope there is a demo to try first though.

+ Super_Jagerman on December 16th, 2013 at 8:06 am said:

Great!!!

Except I get my PS4 Wednesday. If this is a Cross Buy, will get on PS3 for sure but if not, will just have to wait for the PS4 edition.

+ Ryumoau on December 16th, 2013 at 8:10 am said:

Also hope theres a ps4 version discount for people who buy the ps3 one.

+ Rica-10_V on December 16th, 2013 at 8:13 am said:

Im waiting for psvita And ps4 but im getting the psvita editiin first because its handheld, i hope minecraft on he psvita isn’t like iOs.

PAGE 1 2 3 8