PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Dragon’s Crown: New Difficulty and Dungeon Available Now

John Hardin's Avatar + Posted by John Hardin on Dec 20, 2013 // PR Manager, ATLUS

Dragon's Crown
‘Twas the week before Christmas, and all through the house,
No DualShock was stirring because you didn’t know there was a new Dragon’s Crown patch out.
The players are all partying in the tavern with cheer,
Because “Holy Crap!” a new difficulty level and dungeon are here!

I’m fairly certain that’s how that poem begins, and I refuse to accept any corrections to it.

It’s been a while since Dragon’s Crown launched, but we haven’t stopped working to make it better. We added cross play, improved the game balance, and tweaked many things to make the game even more fun. You would think we were done by now, but today we have a true holiday miracle for you: another brand new feature. So knock the cobwebs off your Fighters, Elves, Wizards, and the rest, because we’re adding in a lot of new content with The Fifth Dragon’s Crown Patch.

If you’ve ever played a Vanillaware game before (Odin Sphere and Muramasa: Rebirth spring to mind), you know the brutal difficulty the games are known for. We got the impression that a lot of people didn’t feel Dragon’s Crown was hard enough on the way to level 99, so now there’s a brand new Ultimate difficulty level. After you clear the ninth layer of the Labyrinth of Chaos, you can access the new difficulty in the Temple.

So what’s it do? Well, it makes things harder, for one. But harder monsters mean players need to be better, stronger, and faster, so we’re raising the level cap from 99 to 255. You read that right, you now have 156 levels to grind out.

Dragon's Crown, 04Dragon's Crown

“But that’s a lot of grinding the same levels over and over again,” you’ll say. Well, we have you covered there, too! Once you’re on Ultimate difficulty, there will be a new dungeon unlocked, called the Tower of Mirages. It’s randomly generated and it has tens of thousands of levels. TENS. OF. THOUSANDS. I say this with all sincerity, since I know some of you are going to try to KO it: “Good luck.”

Finding it hard to give up your maxed-out Dwarf to start a new character? We fixed that too (sort of). As long as you have a save file with the Story mode cleared, you can make a new character that skips over that part and leads straight into the Talisman collection quest. Now there are no excuses for not making alts!

In addition to all that, we threw in a few other improvements for gameplay stability and various other tweaks to controls, NPCs, and character skills.

So go forth this holiday season and enjoy all the new stuff from Dragon’s Crown!

PAGE 1 2

+ TheExiled12894 on December 20th, 2013 at 10:08 am said:

This game is easily one of the best purchases for my Vita of 2013. The base game was good but I love that Vanillaware/Atlus have been working to make it better and better.

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 11:05 am said:

+ Ryan Clements on December 20th, 2013 at 10:12 am said:

I’m crying tears of joy.

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 10:17 am said:

Me too, Clements. Me too.

+ KKAtan on December 20th, 2013 at 10:12 am said:

I was hoping that Vanillaware / Atlus would expand the game further with more characters or more DLC.
But this is perfectly fine as well.

Onwards to dungeon floor 10000 with my Elf waifu.

+ I-Dusk-I on December 20th, 2013 at 10:14 am said:

Is this available now?

+ Ryan Clements on December 20th, 2013 at 10:16 am said:

Yup! ^_^

+ MSMrRound on December 20th, 2013 at 10:14 am said:

All hail based George Kamitani (+his Vanillaware crew) and Atlus.

Luckily I didn’t have to write any tear-stained letters to John when I heard about the Japanese patch earlier today.

Now about the subject of that Devil Survivor 2: Break Record image that was in the Atlus logo in that Xmas newsletter that was sent to the Faithfuls…

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 10:24 am said:

I will still accept your tear-stained letters.

+ KKAtan on December 20th, 2013 at 10:21 am said:

Expansion for Dragon’s Crown: Princess Vivian playable character.

+ MaxSterling85 on December 20th, 2013 at 10:21 am said:

Is this for PS3 and Vita versions?

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 10:23 am said:

YUP.

+ FearMonkey on December 20th, 2013 at 10:36 am said:

Wow. This now gives me motivation to Platinum it finally. That initial grind when creating a new character was driving me nuts. >_<

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 11:00 am said:

Yeah, time to finally start my wizard!

+ xClayMeow on December 20th, 2013 at 10:37 am said:

Holy bejeezus!

I guess I need to get back to playing some Dragon’s Crown on my Vita then!

Awesome news! Love free post-launch support!

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 11:04 am said:

You…you stopped playing Dragon’s Crown? T___T

But yeah, me too. Enjoy!

+ IIL0YDII on December 20th, 2013 at 11:07 am said:

OMG this is so awesome!

+ samiamiamsam on December 20th, 2013 at 11:10 am said:

Bought this when it released but I have not yet started playing it. Unfortunately this is another one added to my growing back-log of games I need to play.

I have more games than time to play I am afraid.

It’s always calling my name, and soon I shall answer. I hope.

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 12:05 pm said:

:O

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 12:06 pm said:

It’s time to heed that call.

+ Void_Incarnate on December 20th, 2013 at 11:10 am said:

Nice. Just unlocked Hard difficulty with my Amazon last night, and saw this pop up.

Totally digging this game. Was a big fan of the Mystara games and Golden Axe, and love the direction that Kamitani-san and co. were able to grow the genre in.

Best game on Vita? Quite possibly. Best game on my Vita. Mostdefinitely.

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 12:08 pm said:

Nice! Yeah, amazon was my first character, but man oh man did I hit a difficulty wall with her. I rerolled a dwarf. Don’t tell!

+ D4v33d05 on December 20th, 2013 at 11:12 am said:

If there’s a list someone is keeping of “Games to add to PS+” Dragon’s Crown better be on it. More people need to experience it.

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 12:06 pm said:

Noted!

+ erapago on December 20th, 2013 at 11:26 am said:

Wonderful game. Extend my thanks to everyone at vanillaware for their continued support!

+ MaxSterling85 on December 20th, 2013 at 11:29 am said:

Just read what Void_Incarnate said they need to bring the Capcom arcade games like D&D Mystara series along with other great Capcom arcade games to the Vita.

+ happydude633 on December 20th, 2013 at 11:30 am said:

Thank you very much! I’ve been actually wanting to play this again lately. Trying to platinum The Last of Us and playing some of my PS1 JRPGs has been keeping me away from this amazing title. If anybody wants to play feel free to send me an invite and let me know in a message “DC” so I know why you’re adding me. My witch is mostly a defensive class how I made her, so hopefully someone wants to play. Happy gaming!

+ MrZ_2010 on December 20th, 2013 at 11:32 am said:

It’s absolute good to have level cap at 255, but what is the point if I can only farm the same map with the same weapon over and over and over?

There should be a silver trophy for level 99 and golden trophy for lv255.

I already beat lv99 boss in the dungeon, and I see no significant improvements on item drops, as well as character damage dealt and skill points. So why bother if there is no trophy to hunt?
Besides, there are plenty of ways to kill time.

I have no motivation to play it after I platinum the game.

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 12:21 pm said:

Thanks for the feedback, good job on getting the Plat trophy.

+ Void_Incarnate on December 20th, 2013 at 11:39 am said:

@Max_Sterling: Totally. My Steam friends had a blast playing Mystara online together (I’m in a different timezone, so missed out). PSVita port, pls, sony/capcom!

+ shrimpdude on December 20th, 2013 at 11:43 am said:

The gift that keeps on giving! Thank you, Atlus, for giving us the greatest gift of all – mo’ Dragon’s Crown.

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 12:09 pm said:

‘Tis the season! :D

+ TheAngryOtter on December 20th, 2013 at 11:49 am said:

I saw the patch when I fired the game up this morning and it was a really pleasant surprise! After getting my rear handed to me in Spelunky repeatedly, I started playing DC again for a change of pace. I LOVE the artwork in this game.

+ ALIEN-gunner on December 20th, 2013 at 12:06 pm said:

It is amazing to me that this could of easily been DLC to charge for but instead they went the old ways and offered it for free. They made an already huge game so much bigger. Awesome stuff.

+ bone_and_sinew on December 20th, 2013 at 12:07 pm said:

I love you guys, Atlus and Vanillaware.

+ ehafh on December 20th, 2013 at 12:08 pm said:

great news!

+ RoII_chan on December 20th, 2013 at 12:15 pm said:

Perfect timing! Im gonna play Dragons crown again! =)

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 12:22 pm said:

Me too!

+ Erlaxis on December 20th, 2013 at 12:18 pm said:

One of my favorite games of the year. And you actually have improved it on significant ways. Played it for around 100 hours and got every trophy. Respect for you, guys.

+ BoogityBoy on December 20th, 2013 at 12:24 pm said:

Too bad they broke dashing with the analog sticks this update. I tried 2 different controllers and my bud also said he has the same issue with his vita analog stick. Dashing hardly comes out anymore like they fixed up the input window or something.

Lame. Hope they find this and fix it soon.

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 12:39 pm said:

Will ask about that. (sorry, writing these from the airport on my mobile.)

+ Kchow23 on December 20th, 2013 at 12:36 pm said:

Awesome… I haven’t comeback to the game for a while, but now I don’t ever have to put it down :)

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 12:40 pm said:

THAT’S WHAT I LIKE TO HEAR

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 12:36 pm said:

Will ask about that.

+ jacky-junior on December 20th, 2013 at 12:52 pm said:

Nice, I stopped playing when I bought Muramasa: Rebirth. I guess I’ll have to shuffle between them both now.

+ Sneakers392 on December 20th, 2013 at 1:20 pm said:

Thanks, Atlus + Vanillaware, you guys rock!

+ TheOathsworn on December 20th, 2013 at 1:27 pm said:

I need to get back to playing this. Stopped playing so I could dwindle down my backlog of games before it gets out of control. Glad to see Dragon`s Crown still being supported after all this time.

I should be getting back to the game pretty soon, gonna get back to my lv 81 Elf and get her to 99 and get goign through that Labyrinth. I also have a few trophies left to get before I can plat this…. Yes I`m looking at you specifically Legendary Strike and Gourmand. >_>

Regardless great patch I’ll get to downloading it on both my PS3 and VITA when I get back home from work. :)

+ Thiagots85 on December 20th, 2013 at 1:41 pm said:

Oh my freaking god…. are you guys serious?!?!?!?!?!

I’ll be playing this game on my vita again…

You guys are awesome!

Yo, Clements…. BEYOND, mah man

+ JamalVita_91 on December 20th, 2013 at 2:04 pm said:

Nice, now I think I’m a little more confident to try out the Labrinyth of chaos now, lol. I REALLY want to unlock that Ultimate difficulty now!

+ Dark_Rezo on December 20th, 2013 at 2:56 pm said:

Vanillaware… Atlus… THANKS!!!! T.T (I’m so happy now)

+ ChazzyChazX on December 20th, 2013 at 3:13 pm said:

too much fun with Dragon Crown ~ love VITA version ~!!!
waiting for Dragon Crown 2 ~!!!!!!

+ Rainwater on December 20th, 2013 at 4:36 pm said:

Seriously?!? This is the game that keeps on giving! Thanks ATLUS and Merry Christmas! :)

+ INFIDEL_JIHAD on December 20th, 2013 at 5:17 pm said:

Almost all positive comments on the US PS blog … I must be dreaming

+ Wolfgame_Dev1 on December 20th, 2013 at 5:18 pm said:

the best.

+ califoreigner on December 20th, 2013 at 7:12 pm said:

I bought my vita day one in anticipation of this game and ended up waiting more than a year for its release. those were tough times, but with that said- the wait was definitely worth it! this is up there for my GOTY. we all appreciate the continued support.

pretty OT, but i feel it needs to be said- it’s a shame grand knights history never made its way over. my PSP was so ready :(

+ geneMag on December 20th, 2013 at 9:25 pm said:

Platinum’d the game around 150 hours in (my very first plat ever), still playing it with 345+hours on the save file. The game’s just so fun to play.

Now 1.05 upped the enemy and boss dynamics in a great way. The new character skills and weapon affixes allow for more combo variety (tossing flaming hammers while tossing exploding enemies? so good.)

Vanillaware and Atlus, thanks for making 2013 a really fun year of gaming for me. :D

+ BlueBl1zzard on December 20th, 2013 at 9:34 pm said:

I picked this up for vita about a month or so ago when it went on sale. I’ve only put in a couple of hours so far, but I definitely plan on diving back in, and now with this update it seems like as fitting a time as ever to do so. Thanks!

+ Shadow_Raskolnik on December 21st, 2013 at 12:06 am said:

Thanks for the new update, Dragon’s Crown was probably the one game I most looked forward to all this year and it’s good to see both Vanillaware and Atlus continue to support the title with all these little tweaks and now this huge update with more content. Along with the upcoming DLC for Muramasa Rebirth it really feels good to have Vanillaware on the go, now if you guys were to convince Vanillaware to release an updated Odin Sphere for the Vita…

Anyway I just wanted to share my thanks for this unexpected update and for all the other excellent portable titles you have released this year. Hopefully next year will be just as good as this one.

+ YungShep on December 21st, 2013 at 12:14 am said:

my body is not ready for this punishment, however i just picked up Dragon’s Crown 2 weeks ago! i love it, i really love the score most of all, but geeezzzzzzzzzzz 10,000 levels………. i know what im doing on christmas break..guess i’ll put the ps4 down for a couple of days, haha

+ ManicJest on December 21st, 2013 at 5:11 am said:

This update is amazing, and I LOVE that Vanillaware has been updating this as it’s by far one of my favorite Vita games/games EVER! It’s SOOOOO goood. The transparency this has really made it easy to keep an eye on my character as well.

I’m a long-time Vanillaware fan and I just want to say thank you for your amazing games!

Lastly, is there any news regarding the DLC for Muramasa: Rebirth on Vita which was promised to be offered at some point? I know Vanillaware has been busy with Dragon’s Crown and I know it’s a small company, so I figure they haven’t had time. I haven’t minded because I’ve been busy with DC as well! I’m hoping the Muramasa DLC is indeed still coming out at some point and wasn’t thrown into the black abyss of empty promises. I’ll still love you anyway though, because I’m a Vanillaware fanboy. (Seriously, I have loved all of your games.) Plus I live right by your studio in Osaka and I mean that in the least creepy way possible. *queue shifty eyes*

+ yentair on December 21st, 2013 at 7:53 am said:

Can you please add a patch or update that changes the female characters’ completely sexist outfits? I would really love to play this game with my wife, but she took one look at the sorceress and amazon and said no way.
I mean seriously?!? An outfit where her breasts are literally hanging out of dress? Come on!
We loved Odin Sphere on the PS2, so it’s a major let down that this is the art direction you took. I’m sure you made plenty of 13 year old boys happy, but dang it’s a huge slap in the face to all women. Grow up already, you’re grown men (and probably some women). Wasn’t this game made by adults?
Sorry to rant, but this is ridiculous. I’d love to play future Vanillaware games with my wife and daughter.
Thank you.

+ SILVERX200 on December 21st, 2013 at 3:32 pm said:

A) Awesome and thank you!, B) WTF! Why are there no new weapons, magic spells, or abilities, WHYYYYY?

Skill Points should have been increased as well!

+ zandalimb1358 on December 21st, 2013 at 3:57 pm said:

In a future patch, can you guys add new characters? I had one in mind, a marksman like mercenary with two guns and a sword and a shapeshifter mage-like character. If you have any new characters in mind thats fine too. I love the game and glad to be part of it!

+ PrinceofXIII on December 21st, 2013 at 7:09 pm said:

i really need to get back on this, seems alot of things changed from this game since november which i last played ^^’

thanks for the huge update Vanillaware and Atlus

+ XBudyX on December 21st, 2013 at 8:21 pm said:

you have no idea how happy im am to see this game getting updated me and my friends still play this we were getting borde with noting else to do (especially me due to the fact that i had for both ps3 and vita so i paly on the go XD ) we hit lvl 99 with all six classes some of them twice (on the same accout that is) and we thought it wouldnt get better then this but now WOOHOO this will makes us play twices as much XD and to know that this game got an update like this gives me hope that there is more to come like a new class maybe hmmm

(cough cough) dark elf (cough cough)

. . . . .yeah im sure you can see that. . . .putting cough didnt help hide it at all ( -_-). . .
GOOD JOB AND GOOD LUCK DRAGONS CROWN ( J^_^)J