Dec 20

Dragons Crown Heroes

Dragon’s Crown: New Difficulty and Dungeon Available Now

John Hardin's Avatar Posted by John Hardin on Dec 20, 2013 // PR Manager, ATLUS

Dragon's Crown
‘Twas the week before Christmas, and all through the house,
No DualShock was stirring because you didn’t know there was a new Dragon’s Crown patch out.
The players are all partying in the tavern with cheer,
Because “Holy Crap!” a new difficulty level and dungeon are here!

I’m fairly certain that’s how that poem begins, and I refuse to accept any corrections to it.

It’s been a while since Dragon’s Crown launched, but we haven’t stopped working to make it better. We added cross play, improved the game balance, and tweaked many things to make the game even more fun. You would think we were done by now, but today we have a true holiday miracle for you: another brand new feature. So knock the cobwebs off your Fighters, Elves, Wizards, and the rest, because we’re adding in a lot of new content with The Fifth Dragon’s Crown Patch.

If you’ve ever played a Vanillaware game before (Odin Sphere and Muramasa: Rebirth spring to mind), you know the brutal difficulty the games are known for. We got the impression that a lot of people didn’t feel Dragon’s Crown was hard enough on the way to level 99, so now there’s a brand new Ultimate difficulty level. After you clear the ninth layer of the Labyrinth of Chaos, you can access the new difficulty in the Temple.

So what’s it do? Well, it makes things harder, for one. But harder monsters mean players need to be better, stronger, and faster, so we’re raising the level cap from 99 to 255. You read that right, you now have 156 levels to grind out.

Dragon's Crown, 04Dragon's Crown

“But that’s a lot of grinding the same levels over and over again,” you’ll say. Well, we have you covered there, too! Once you’re on Ultimate difficulty, there will be a new dungeon unlocked, called the Tower of Mirages. It’s randomly generated and it has tens of thousands of levels. TENS. OF. THOUSANDS. I say this with all sincerity, since I know some of you are going to try to KO it: “Good luck.”

Finding it hard to give up your maxed-out Dwarf to start a new character? We fixed that too (sort of). As long as you have a save file with the Story mode cleared, you can make a new character that skips over that part and leads straight into the Talisman collection quest. Now there are no excuses for not making alts!

In addition to all that, we threw in a few other improvements for gameplay stability and various other tweaks to controls, NPCs, and character skills.

So go forth this holiday season and enjoy all the new stuff from Dragon’s Crown!

PAGE 1 2

+ BoogityBoy on December 20th, 2013 at 12:24 pm said:

Too bad they broke dashing with the analog sticks this update. I tried 2 different controllers and my bud also said he has the same issue with his vita analog stick. Dashing hardly comes out anymore like they fixed up the input window or something.

Lame. Hope they find this and fix it soon.

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 12:39 pm said:

Will ask about that. (sorry, writing these from the airport on my mobile.)

+ Kchow23 on December 20th, 2013 at 12:36 pm said:

Awesome… I haven’t comeback to the game for a while, but now I don’t ever have to put it down :)

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 12:40 pm said:

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 12:36 pm said:

Will ask about that.

+ jacky-junior on December 20th, 2013 at 12:52 pm said:

Nice, I stopped playing when I bought Muramasa: Rebirth. I guess I’ll have to shuffle between them both now.

+ Sneakers392 on December 20th, 2013 at 1:20 pm said:

Thanks, Atlus + Vanillaware, you guys rock!

+ TheOathsworn on December 20th, 2013 at 1:27 pm said:

I need to get back to playing this. Stopped playing so I could dwindle down my backlog of games before it gets out of control. Glad to see Dragon`s Crown still being supported after all this time.

I should be getting back to the game pretty soon, gonna get back to my lv 81 Elf and get her to 99 and get goign through that Labyrinth. I also have a few trophies left to get before I can plat this…. Yes I`m looking at you specifically Legendary Strike and Gourmand. >_>

Regardless great patch I’ll get to downloading it on both my PS3 and VITA when I get back home from work. :)

+ Thiagots85 on December 20th, 2013 at 1:41 pm said:

Oh my freaking god…. are you guys serious?!?!?!?!?!

I’ll be playing this game on my vita again…

You guys are awesome!

Yo, Clements…. BEYOND, mah man

+ Dark_Rezo on December 20th, 2013 at 2:56 pm said:

Vanillaware… Atlus… THANKS!!!! T.T (I’m so happy now)

+ JamalVita_91 on December 20th, 2013 at 2:04 pm said:

Nice, now I think I’m a little more confident to try out the Labrinyth of chaos now, lol. I REALLY want to unlock that Ultimate difficulty now!

+ ChazzyChazX on December 20th, 2013 at 3:13 pm said:

too much fun with Dragon Crown ~ love VITA version ~!!!
waiting for Dragon Crown 2 ~!!!!!!

+ Rainwater on December 20th, 2013 at 4:36 pm said:

Seriously?!? This is the game that keeps on giving! Thanks ATLUS and Merry Christmas! :)

+ INFIDEL_JIHAD on December 20th, 2013 at 5:17 pm said:

Almost all positive comments on the US PS blog … I must be dreaming

+ Wolfgame_Dev1 on December 20th, 2013 at 5:18 pm said:

the best.

+ califoreigner on December 20th, 2013 at 7:12 pm said:

I bought my vita day one in anticipation of this game and ended up waiting more than a year for its release. those were tough times, but with that said- the wait was definitely worth it! this is up there for my GOTY. we all appreciate the continued support.

pretty OT, but i feel it needs to be said- it’s a shame grand knights history never made its way over. my PSP was so ready :(

+ geneMag on December 20th, 2013 at 9:25 pm said:

Platinum’d the game around 150 hours in (my very first plat ever), still playing it with 345+hours on the save file. The game’s just so fun to play.

Now 1.05 upped the enemy and boss dynamics in a great way. The new character skills and weapon affixes allow for more combo variety (tossing flaming hammers while tossing exploding enemies? so good.)

Vanillaware and Atlus, thanks for making 2013 a really fun year of gaming for me. :D

+ BlueBl1zzard on December 20th, 2013 at 9:34 pm said:

I picked this up for vita about a month or so ago when it went on sale. I’ve only put in a couple of hours so far, but I definitely plan on diving back in, and now with this update it seems like as fitting a time as ever to do so. Thanks!

+ Shadow_Raskolnik on December 21st, 2013 at 12:06 am said:

Thanks for the new update, Dragon’s Crown was probably the one game I most looked forward to all this year and it’s good to see both Vanillaware and Atlus continue to support the title with all these little tweaks and now this huge update with more content. Along with the upcoming DLC for Muramasa Rebirth it really feels good to have Vanillaware on the go, now if you guys were to convince Vanillaware to release an updated Odin Sphere for the Vita…

Anyway I just wanted to share my thanks for this unexpected update and for all the other excellent portable titles you have released this year. Hopefully next year will be just as good as this one.

+ YungShep on December 21st, 2013 at 12:14 am said:

my body is not ready for this punishment, however i just picked up Dragon’s Crown 2 weeks ago! i love it, i really love the score most of all, but geeezzzzzzzzzzz 10,000 levels………. i know what im doing on christmas break..guess i’ll put the ps4 down for a couple of days, haha

+ ManicJest on December 21st, 2013 at 5:11 am said:

This update is amazing, and I LOVE that Vanillaware has been updating this as it’s by far one of my favorite Vita games/games EVER! It’s SOOOOO goood. The transparency this has really made it easy to keep an eye on my character as well.

I’m a long-time Vanillaware fan and I just want to say thank you for your amazing games!

Lastly, is there any news regarding the DLC for Muramasa: Rebirth on Vita which was promised to be offered at some point? I know Vanillaware has been busy with Dragon’s Crown and I know it’s a small company, so I figure they haven’t had time. I haven’t minded because I’ve been busy with DC as well! I’m hoping the Muramasa DLC is indeed still coming out at some point and wasn’t thrown into the black abyss of empty promises. I’ll still love you anyway though, because I’m a Vanillaware fanboy. (Seriously, I have loved all of your games.) Plus I live right by your studio in Osaka and I mean that in the least creepy way possible. *queue shifty eyes*

+ yentair on December 21st, 2013 at 7:53 am said:

Can you please add a patch or update that changes the female characters’ completely sexist outfits? I would really love to play this game with my wife, but she took one look at the sorceress and amazon and said no way.
I mean seriously?!? An outfit where her breasts are literally hanging out of dress? Come on!
We loved Odin Sphere on the PS2, so it’s a major let down that this is the art direction you took. I’m sure you made plenty of 13 year old boys happy, but dang it’s a huge slap in the face to all women. Grow up already, you’re grown men (and probably some women). Wasn’t this game made by adults?
Sorry to rant, but this is ridiculous. I’d love to play future Vanillaware games with my wife and daughter.
Thank you.

+ SILVERX200 on December 21st, 2013 at 3:32 pm said:

A) Awesome and thank you!, B) WTF! Why are there no new weapons, magic spells, or abilities, WHYYYYY?

Skill Points should have been increased as well!

+ zandalimb1358 on December 21st, 2013 at 3:57 pm said:

In a future patch, can you guys add new characters? I had one in mind, a marksman like mercenary with two guns and a sword and a shapeshifter mage-like character. If you have any new characters in mind thats fine too. I love the game and glad to be part of it!

+ PrinceofXIII on December 21st, 2013 at 7:09 pm said:

i really need to get back on this, seems alot of things changed from this game since november which i last played ^^’

thanks for the huge update Vanillaware and Atlus

+ XBudyX on December 21st, 2013 at 8:21 pm said:

you have no idea how happy im am to see this game getting updated me and my friends still play this we were getting borde with noting else to do (especially me due to the fact that i had for both ps3 and vita so i paly on the go XD ) we hit lvl 99 with all six classes some of them twice (on the same accout that is) and we thought it wouldnt get better then this but now WOOHOO this will makes us play twices as much XD and to know that this game got an update like this gives me hope that there is more to come like a new class maybe hmmm

(cough cough) dark elf (cough cough)

. . . . .yeah im sure you can see that. . . .putting cough didnt help hide it at all ( -_-). . .

+ AnimePrado17 on December 22nd, 2013 at 6:41 pm said:

A level 255 Sorceress!?

+ lil_matt15 on December 22nd, 2013 at 7:43 pm said:

This game is awesome and has good ass graffics.

+ b1tters on December 23rd, 2013 at 2:09 am said:

first let me say this. the game is amazing and is the thing i’ve been waiting on for so long. final fight is dead, armored warriors sleeps in a deep grave and battle circuit has gone the way of ahnuld. so thank you a million times over.

this is the stupid “goku and cloud should be in smash bros part” feel free to skip
i found myself at times playing the game and seeing the lizard man thinking to myself “that would be an amazing character to play as!! as would a thief type!!” and then i max out at about 12 character designs total. then take a second look as most everyone in the game fills that role even if in a small way here and there. so i’ve got to put the seiken densetsu 3 out of my head and love it for what it is.

+ b1tters on December 23rd, 2013 at 2:10 am said:

in all earnest however, i already plan to play everyday, even though i’ve got a level 255 set of bones in my pile [already!?] but community inspired and selected daily or weekly quest would be amazing!! even a monthly 4 or 5 from vanillaware direct. it wouldn’t need art but if that route was the choice, you guys could contact people who’ve created fan art and ask them if they’d want their work featured in the game as quest rewards.

ok fangasm over. there is one more serious question so hopefully my laundry list didn’t turn you away. is there a complete changelist anywhere on the net for the patches? sorta wanna know why enemies my dwarf throws turn punk and why the wizard dodges in place. thanks!!

+ ShinUltima on December 23rd, 2013 at 7:19 am said:

I’m 30 hours into this update (410 hours before patch). I think it’s a mixed bag:

1) The Tower of Mirages being endless makes for an aimless end game. You just play it until you get fed up. I preferred LoC, which had a definite end.

2) The ToM’s equipment drops has no pattern to their order and repeat like crazy. You’re encouraged to keep climbing to see if there’s anything that’s good.

3) Ultimate’s level ID for enemies is misleading. L255 enemies in ToM (up tlo floor 30 anyway), on LoC floor 99, and the new stages are all different in strength.

4) The experience gain per level is now astronomical. I was hoping it would be capped at some point, but it’s not. I need over 11 million experience to go from Level 129 to Level 130. It’s going to be impractical to raise a single character to Level 255, far less multiple ones. You’re pretty much forced to specialise now.

5) Elf got nerfed unnecessarily. Arrow drops during bosses makes for a frustrating experience.

6) The camera is annoying as hell now.

I know they said this was the last patch, but I’m hoping they can release one last patch to “fix” stuff. As it is, I think 1.04 DC was a much better game than 1.05 DC, even with less content.

+ Avin1973 on December 23rd, 2013 at 12:48 pm said:

Does the new dungeon uses the same graphics?

I’d love to see some new stuff added…

+ LightningYu on December 29th, 2013 at 8:30 am said:

1. Yeah but you don`t have to do the Storythings over and over. So i think it`s a good Thing!

2. –

4. Yeah but you have now a Game for Months/Years to play like the old good days with Diablo 2, where you have spend a lots of Time to claim 99!

I love the new Update =D

+ kmetek on December 29th, 2013 at 11:36 am said:

play-asia has it very cheap.

+ islankleinknecht on January 6th, 2014 at 7:56 am said:

I wish the Tower of Mirages had a limited number of levels so that you could actually “beat” it, but the levels were different and harder every time you visited it. That way you could actually have something to aim towards (finish the current instance) other than just the grind.

+ KEVIN_BUTLER_CEO on January 10th, 2014 at 2:05 pm said:

AWESOME, I love everything about this game the art the characters the atmosphere and now you give us even more. You have made me a loyal fan of Atlus and Vanilaware. George katanami is now my favourite artist. If you made a sequel I would buy if you made an animated movie I would buy it.

+ Mythic_Owl on January 15th, 2014 at 8:59 am said:

Im late but i justed updated to the new patch. you guys should really add a new playable Dlc. Dragon Crown great just short.

+ FearMonkey on December 20th, 2013 at 10:36 am said:

Wow. This now gives me motivation to Platinum it finally. That initial grind when creating a new character was driving me nuts. >_<

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 11:00 am said:

Yeah, time to finally start my wizard!

+ xClayMeow on December 20th, 2013 at 10:37 am said:

Holy bejeezus!

I guess I need to get back to playing some Dragon’s Crown on my Vita then!

Awesome news! Love free post-launch support!

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 11:04 am said:

You…you stopped playing Dragon’s Crown? T___T

But yeah, me too. Enjoy!

+ TheExiled12894 on December 20th, 2013 at 10:08 am said:

This game is easily one of the best purchases for my Vita of 2013. The base game was good but I love that Vanillaware/Atlus have been working to make it better and better.

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 11:05 am said:

+ IIL0YDII on December 20th, 2013 at 11:07 am said:

OMG this is so awesome!

+ samiamiamsam on December 20th, 2013 at 11:10 am said:

Bought this when it released but I have not yet started playing it. Unfortunately this is another one added to my growing back-log of games I need to play.

I have more games than time to play I am afraid.

It’s always calling my name, and soon I shall answer. I hope.

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 12:06 pm said:

It’s time to heed that call.

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 12:05 pm said:

+ Ryan Clements on December 20th, 2013 at 10:12 am said:

I’m crying tears of joy.

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 10:17 am said:

Me too, Clements. Me too.

+ KKAtan on December 20th, 2013 at 10:12 am said:

I was hoping that Vanillaware / Atlus would expand the game further with more characters or more DLC.
But this is perfectly fine as well.

Onwards to dungeon floor 10000 with my Elf waifu.

+ I-Dusk-I on December 20th, 2013 at 10:14 am said:

Is this available now?

+ Ryan Clements on December 20th, 2013 at 10:16 am said:

Yup! ^_^

+ MSMrRound on December 20th, 2013 at 10:14 am said:

All hail based George Kamitani (+his Vanillaware crew) and Atlus.

Luckily I didn’t have to write any tear-stained letters to John when I heard about the Japanese patch earlier today.

Now about the subject of that Devil Survivor 2: Break Record image that was in the Atlus logo in that Xmas newsletter that was sent to the Faithfuls…

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 10:24 am said:

I will still accept your tear-stained letters.

+ KKAtan on December 20th, 2013 at 10:21 am said:

Expansion for Dragon’s Crown: Princess Vivian playable character.

+ MaxSterling85 on December 20th, 2013 at 10:21 am said:

Is this for PS3 and Vita versions?

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 10:23 am said:

+ Void_Incarnate on December 20th, 2013 at 11:10 am said:

Nice. Just unlocked Hard difficulty with my Amazon last night, and saw this pop up.

Totally digging this game. Was a big fan of the Mystara games and Golden Axe, and love the direction that Kamitani-san and co. were able to grow the genre in.

Best game on Vita? Quite possibly. Best game on my Vita. Mostdefinitely.

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 12:08 pm said:

Nice! Yeah, amazon was my first character, but man oh man did I hit a difficulty wall with her. I rerolled a dwarf. Don’t tell!

+ D4v33d05 on December 20th, 2013 at 11:12 am said:

If there’s a list someone is keeping of “Games to add to PS+” Dragon’s Crown better be on it. More people need to experience it.

+ John Hardin on December 20th, 2013 at 12:06 pm said:

+ bone_and_sinew on December 20th, 2013 at 12:07 pm said:

I love you guys, Atlus and Vanillaware.

+ ehafh on December 20th, 2013 at 12:08 pm said: