PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Winners: 2013 PlayStation.Blog Game of the Year Awards

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Dec 23, 2013 // Senior Manager, Social Media

PlayStation Blog Game of the Year Awards 2013

Your votes have been tallied; below lies the full list of the second annual PlayStation.Blog Game of the Year Awards winners as voted by you, plus Editors’ Choice picks from the PlayStation.Blog staff. Also, be sure to listen to our new episode of PlayStation Blogcast for more discussion and insight into our picks.

Read on to see the very best in PlayStation gaming for 2013 as chosen by PlayStation gamers worldwide. And please provide your feedback in the comments –- it’s always valuable.

PS4 Game of the Year 2013

PlayStation Blog Game of the Year Awards 2013: PS4 GOTY Platinum

Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag

Assassin's Creed IV
Ubisoft Montreal’s seafaring epic Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag scored the Platinum award despite fierce competition from Killzone Shadow Fall. Battlefield 4 and PlayStation Store shoot ‘em up Resogun also secured award positions, with Call of Duty: Ghosts and Knack seeing plenty of votes despite not making the winner’s circle.

PlayStation Blog Game of the Year Awards 2013: Editor's Choice Award

Resogun – Battlefield 4’s majestic multiplayer modes nearly stole the show for me, but ultimately I had to choose Housemarque’s brilliant shmup based solely on the number of hours I pumped into it. The game is almost impossible to put down.

Sid Shuman, US PlayStation.Blog

Resogun – Housemarque’s deliriously exciting retro-fabulous shoot ‘em up scorched my eyeballs and seduced my senses, taking up permanent residence on my PS4. Call me an old codger if you like, but this is gaming at its purest. Love it.

Fred Dutton, EU PlayStation.Blog

Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag — Black Flag has an almost overwhelming amount of content sewn into a breathtaking slice of the Caribbean. It satisfies every craving, from swordplay to stealth, from customization to crafting. And perhaps most importantly, your crew sings shanties as you sail. The coolness of this cannot be overstated.

Ryan Clements, US PlayStation.Blog

Resogun — The true genius of Resogun lies in its deceptive scoring systems. Just when you think you know the best route to the top of the leaderboards, you discover a new trick that forces you to completely rework your now-obsolete strategies. In Housemarque we trust.

Justin Massongill, US PlayStation.Blog

PS3 Game of the Year 2013

PlayStation Blog Game of the Year Awards 2013: PS3 GOTY Platinum

The Last of Us

The Last of Us
Naughty Dog’s blockbuster The Last of Us dominated this year’s PS3 category, with Grand Theft Auto V also finishing strong. Ni No Kuni and BioShock Infinite rounded out the list of winners, though it’s worth noting that Beyond: Two Souls and Tomb Raider both saw robust support.

PlayStation Blog Game of the Year Awards 2013: Editor's Choice Award

The Last of Us – A highwater mark for PS3, and a welcome shot in the arm for all of us after a little more sophistication and nuance from our AAA gaming. Along with Beyond: Two Souls and GT6 it might have heralded the end of a console era, but it also felt like the start of something — and if this is the direction our blockbusters take henceforth, count me happy.

– Fred Dutton, EU PlayStation.Blog

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance — Who knew that a cyborg samurai, action-RPG hybrid with stealth elements would rock so hard? Everyone. Everyone knew that, because it sounds awesome. In execution, developer Platinum Games crafted a blisteringly fast, endlessly satisfying combat engine with a fine, kung fu gloss.

– Ryan Clements, US PlayStation.Blog

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons — In only a few hours, Brothers explores the resilient human element that ties together the very best works of fiction in such a beautiful, fundamental way — and even more impressively, in a manner that only video games can accomplish.

– Nick Suttner, PlayStation Blogcast

The Last of Us – Naughty Dog did it again, surpassing everything we have seen in the industry thus far. Brutal and beautiful at the same time, with a soundtrack by Santaolalla soundtrack that’s almost too perfect. Joelbanderas.gif

– Lorenzo Grajales, Latin America PlayStation.Blog

PS Vita Game of the Year 2013

PlayStation Blog Game of the Year Awards 2013: PS Vita GOTY Platinum

Tearaway

Tearaway
In a tight race for the PS Vita Platinum award, Media Molecule’s highly reviewed Tearaway ultimately prevailed. Killzone Mercenary’s strong showing earned it a Gold, while Rayman Legends and Soul Sacrifice filled out the PS Vita winner’s circle. Dragon’s Crown and Guacamelee! also scored plenty of votes, but not quite enough to place.

PlayStation Blog Game of the Year Awards 2013: Editor's Choice Award

Velocity Ultra – Tough category! For my money, Futurlab’s classy, clever blaster just pips the delightful Tearaway, Spelunky and Hotline Miami. No other game I played this year so brilliantly layered mechanic-upon-mechanic, slowly transforming you from slow-witted cannon fodder to master thumb ninja. Bring on Velocity 2X.

Fred Dutton, EU PlayStation.Blog

Tearaway – One of the most creative games in the universe, with a lovable character, awesome level design, and the best use of the PS Vita features we’ve seen yet. Tearaway should be standard curriculum at videogame universities.

Lorenzo Grajales, Latin America PlayStation.Blog

Dragon’s Crown — Garbed in eye-popping fantasy art, Dragon’s Crown boasts a staggering degree of replayability. It invites return play, tempting us with glittering treasures and stage-searing spells. With six heroes to master and secret paths to traverse, Dragon’s Crown is as rewarding as it is beautiful.

Ryan Clements, US PlayStation.Blog

Spelunky — A game about dying in the jungle in a way you can’t imagine. A thrilling economy of risk, Spelunky trades in chutzpah as much as it does in skill and knowledge. Every one of Spelunky’s pieces fits together like it couldn’t have happened any other way; it’s a Perfect Video Game, as such things go, and beyond perfect on Vita. — Nick Suttner, PlayStation Blogcast

Best Digital Release 2013

PlayStation Blog Game of the Year Awards 2013: Best Digital Release Platinum

Resogun

Resogun
A tight race between Resogun and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon ultimately went in favor of Housemarque’s addictive shmup for the Platinum prize. The newly released Minecraft: PS3 Edition and Guacamelee! also scored highly, just outpacing critical hits Hotline Miami and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

PlayStation Blog Game of the Year Awards 2013: Editor's Choice Award

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3) – At first, I wasn’t sure what to expect from Starbreeze’s daring new PlayStation Store title. Controlling two characters simultaneously, one with each analog stick, is novel. But Brothers backs it up with a story worth telling and characters worth caring about.

– Sid Shuman, US PlayStation.Blog

Guacamelee! (PS3/PS Vita) – Drinkbox threw a bunch of my favourite things into a blender – classic Metroidvania mechanics, primary colours, Mexican food, chicken punching – and came up with a predictably heady confection. In a year of cracking 2D platformers, this was el pijama del gato (thank you, Google Translate).

– Fred Dutton, EU PlayStation.Blog

Super Motherload (PS4) — There’s a special sort of fun in tunneling deep beneath the surface of Mars, collecting precious ores, and unlocking game-changing upgrades. Super Motherload encourages smart plays with ore combinations, special items, and puzzles. Highly recommended.

– Ryan Clements, US PlayStation.Blog

Spelunky (PS3/PS Vita) — Yep, more Spelunky. With the inspired Daily Challenge feature, I think I might slot it into my routine right after brushing my teeth before bed, until I’m stinky bones in the ground.

– Nick Suttner, PlayStation Blogcast

Most Anticipated 2014 Game

PlayStation Blog Game of the Year Awards 2013: Most Anticipated Platinum

inFAMOUS Second Son

inFAMOUS Second Son
Sucker Punch’s eagerly awaited inFAMOUS Second Son, out March 21st, handily scored the most votes, with Watch_Dogs, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, and Destiny duking it out for the remaining spots. Competition was fierce in this category, with strong showings from The Order: 1886, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and Dark Souls II. One thing’s clear: the 2014 game lineup is looking bright indeed.

PlayStation Blog Game of the Year Awards 2013: Editor's Choice Award

Destiny (PS3/PS4) – “Well, duh. It’s Bungie. If the epic story and seamless co-op play don’t get me, the competitive play surely will. Also: Bungie.”

– Sid Shuman, Manager, US PlayStation Blog

Transistor (PS4) – “Everything about Transistor appeals directly to my interests: a surreal, futuristic painted art style, an ominous soundtrack backed by butterfly-inducing, melancholy vocals, a clever new battle system that mixes real-time action with turn-based strategy, and the coolest use of DualShock 4′s light bar we’ve seen yet (it pulses when the sword talks!). We don’t know a ton about Transistor yet, but I’ve got my gaze fixed squarely on it heading into 2014.”

– Justin Massongill, US PlayStation Blog

Dark Souls II (PS3) – “Just hook it to my veins.”

– Fred Dutton, Manager, EU PlayStation.Blog

The Witness (PS4) – “I’ve been bestowed with more of a sneak peek than most, so I can’t say too much, but you also don’t need to play very far into The Witness to see the brilliance behind its puzzle design and world-building (and stunning aesthetic, of course). It’s something truly special, and even in an indie paradise of Transistor, N++, Sportsfriends and Octodad (wow!), it’s still my most-anticipated game.”

– Nick Suttner, PlayStation Blogcast

inFAMOUS Second Son (PS4) – Sucker Punch. That is all.

– Lorenzo Grajales, Latin America PlayStation.Blog

+ retro25 on December 23rd, 2013 at 4:07 pm said:

Too bad GTA 5 didn’t get platinum award but at least they got gold that’s good. Why is Minecraft PS3 edition got silver? To be honest, I never played The Last of Us (because I don’t like survival/post-apocalyptic/war games).

+ jaydlaw20 on December 23rd, 2013 at 4:12 pm said:

I am hoping for a GOTY edition of TLOU on the PS4. I didn’t purchase for the PS3 and now the PS3 barely gets used. Tomb Raider released a ps4 edition, Naughty Dog should as well. On another note KZ4 really wasn’t all that good. BF4 and NBA2K14 are much better productions imo. AC4 is awesome! As far as most anticipated, I would flip Destiny and MGS. I am a little leery about the MGS story and feel as though it will come off as a soap orera as opposed to a stellar game.

+ Enigma777 on December 23rd, 2013 at 4:17 pm said:

Shame there was no love for Brothers. One of the best games I’ve played this year.

+ mtm94 on December 23rd, 2013 at 5:16 pm said:

Love the picks…can’t wait to play shadow fall…it’s a xmas present for my son (& me). One more day to wait!

+ trum3n1 on December 23rd, 2013 at 5:39 pm said:

minecraft? u gotta be fckn kiddin me. is there just kids playing on ps3?

+ CatatonicAlex on December 23rd, 2013 at 5:40 pm said:

LOL@ Dragon’s Crown replay ability.
Same Dungeons over and over and over and over and over and over and over again….

+ BassGuru82 on December 23rd, 2013 at 6:40 pm said:

PS3 Top 5

5.Tomb Raider
4.GTA V
3.Rayman Legends
2.Bioshock Infinite
1.The Last of Us

I still need to play Ni No Kuni.

+ deathtopop_23 on December 23rd, 2013 at 6:48 pm said:

No mention of BEYOND Two Souls?! I loved that game more than The Last of Us which I thought was really enjoyable and my second favorite game of the year.

+ ssy5b6rt on December 23rd, 2013 at 6:49 pm said:

resogun was obvious XD

+ sheilicia on December 23rd, 2013 at 6:56 pm said:

obvious list is obvious

+ mwm on December 23rd, 2013 at 7:12 pm said:

The Division gets my most anticipated game of 2014.

+ el_vatoloco on December 23rd, 2013 at 7:13 pm said:

HHmmm what a coincidence that every game that won the TOP game of the year award is an exclusive, only on Playstation game or had exclusive DLC for the Playstation only.

+ Dothius on December 23rd, 2013 at 7:18 pm said:

Resogun, Imma let you finish, but Blood Dragon was the best digital release of 2013.
While Resogun was as awesome as I expected it to be, Blood Dragon was above and beyond my pretty high expectations.
Regardless of my personal opinion, congratulations to Resogun for winning the category, especially for be able to be seen in such high regard despite being one of the newest games on the list. That’s a great accomplishment.
Congratulations to every winner in every other category as well. I pretty much agreed with the rest, even though not every titled I voted for won, so I have nothing further to add. :)
Merry Christmas everyone!

+ Elder-Mike on December 23rd, 2013 at 7:23 pm said:

Fantastic, just need a few more digital upgrades to PS3 games for the PS4, because the selection is a bit low and high priced, and we’ve got got our free game yet like The Crew etc for moving our PS Plus over.

We can’t use our PS3 games due to compatibility issues. Glad we’ve got our PS3 still so we can play both.

+ One87donkyJunk on December 23rd, 2013 at 7:39 pm said:

TLoU was f#*king badass, but GTA V and Bioshock Infinite were better. And there’s no way Resogun is a better game than Guacamelee, Blood Dragon, Spelunky, or Brothers. It’s a good game but come on. That’s just my opinion. My most anticipated games are Dark Souls 3 and The Witcher 3, but I’m sure Infamous 3 will be good.

+ havoksholly on December 23rd, 2013 at 7:50 pm said:

The way Sid described Brothers: a Tale of Two Sons was excellent. It truly is one of those games that you have to play for yourself to really enjoy the full experience.

+ FantasyFireworks on December 23rd, 2013 at 8:21 pm said:

Wow, I would have thought GTA V.

+ Pedrito79 on December 23rd, 2013 at 8:28 pm said:

Second Son over Watch Dogs, C’mon!

+ SomaXD on December 23rd, 2013 at 9:15 pm said:

As much crap as Assassins Creed gets (undeserved imo) Its one of my favorite series of all time (next to uncharted) and really deserves Best PS4 game!

+ kittyloaf on December 23rd, 2013 at 9:26 pm said:

HBO GO, yes or no. PS4 media server support…when

+ Ironlantern92 on December 23rd, 2013 at 9:35 pm said:

Completely agree with the winners, though part of me still wishes that Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon won best Digital Download game.

+ Murphy37110 on December 24th, 2013 at 12:21 am said:

All great and deserving games for sure. My bank account is definitely in trouble for 2014 though!…Which is awesome for gamers everywhere IMO. Happy holidays!

+ GabbalanceITA on December 24th, 2013 at 2:19 am said:

infamous :D

+ iREVOLTER on December 24th, 2013 at 3:43 am said:

Yeeeeay for the Winners! Now give us discounts for this titles , like last year choice. We want them with discounts in our collection not just on the list for the blog . Thanks!

+ Yunus_sniper on December 24th, 2013 at 3:59 am said:

Very nice..

+ JnF_Gho5t on December 24th, 2013 at 4:12 am said:

Amazing year for Sony. I can’t wait for Infamous: Second Son & I’m having a blast playing Killzone Shadow Fall.

+ PHEEliNUX on December 24th, 2013 at 6:38 am said:

Well…
The only 2 stuff that i would agree with are Bioshock Infinite for PS3 and Black Flag for PS4

Why isn’t Diablo 3 in the PS3 list though

+ mnMikeRocks on December 24th, 2013 at 6:47 am said:

Im kinda shocked The Division didn’t make it on to the “Most Anticipated” list, or the editors choice list.

+ XeahuleXolic on December 24th, 2013 at 7:22 am said:

that’s awesome

+ usaofamerica on December 24th, 2013 at 8:04 am said:

Nice! exactly what I voted.

+ RagingMexicano87 on December 24th, 2013 at 9:10 am said:

@Unretributed my best digital game of the year was also
Guacamelee, too bad it didn’t win >:(

+ So-Bii on December 24th, 2013 at 10:46 am said:

The new Uncharted not an anticipated game of 2014?

+ AsheGeisha on December 24th, 2013 at 11:01 am said:

#1 PS4 Knack
#1 PS3 TLOU

Knack is truly a incredible old fashion action game that old gamer who plays the TV games from PS1 to now love it.
The experience both full of fun and tension. I found what my childhood’s feeling of gaming.

TLOU needs no words.

+ Zaki_ibuki on December 24th, 2013 at 2:52 pm said:

how did battlefield 4 get any awards?! it’s broken to heck and back.

+ captpluto946 on December 24th, 2013 at 5:01 pm said:

Wow, I didn’t even think to look up who did The Last of Us soundtrack. No wonder it was so good!

+ TF123081 on December 24th, 2013 at 6:16 pm said:

There shouldnt be a winner for PS4 games beacuse the system is only a month and some change old. And there isnt that many games out on the system. I think it should be null and void until next yeat

+ DNdaMN on December 24th, 2013 at 6:18 pm said:

The Last of Us definitely deserved the platinum trophy no doubt about it.

+ J_Hyde1 on December 25th, 2013 at 11:14 am said:

i love the last of us it should win game of the year

+ stormbreed on December 25th, 2013 at 3:49 pm said:

Good choices all in all.

+ Welmosca on December 26th, 2013 at 10:49 pm said:

Wow PS is the best even at giving awards lol…..really great and fair awards those all deserved I agree with them all….only Minecraft taking silver with Best Digital Release and GTA gold with GOTY thats some real bulls*** right there.

+ Welmosca on December 26th, 2013 at 10:53 pm said:

@ 62 el_vatoloco – This ain’t no coincidence…this is how awards should be…PS exclusives are always the best…and AC4 deserved the best PS4 game.Do you want stupid VGX awards?….media dont know s*** about games.

+ Strangeheaven on December 27th, 2013 at 7:45 am said:

Red Dead Redemption is the best game of the last generation of games by miles.

My Anticipated PS4 games are The Last Guardian,The Division, and the prequel to Red Dead Redemption.

+ Gerardo042196 on December 27th, 2013 at 7:01 pm said:

I can’t believe The order didn’t make it to the most anticipated but I agree with the Last Of Us and Tearaway getting fist place

+ jcgoodekillz on December 27th, 2013 at 10:16 pm said:

Epic fail tearaway really i was expecting killzone mercenary to be the most best game of the year

+ jcgoodekillz on December 27th, 2013 at 10:19 pm said:

tearaway is a good game i guess though

+ io-knight on December 30th, 2013 at 7:59 am said:

I wonder how well Watch_Dogs would have done if it had been included for consideration in the original “Most Anticipated…” category, instead of making people write it in.

+ trickydemon1 on January 1st, 2014 at 5:06 am said:

where’s dark souls ? or dark souls 2?

+ Snakeshadow18 on January 3rd, 2014 at 9:07 am said:

@jaydlaw20 I´m sorry bro but Naughty Dog have already said that TLOU will be an exclusive game of PS3, I want a PS4 version too but i see that very difficult right now.

+ subsamuel01 on January 3rd, 2014 at 9:53 am said:

Man I can’t wait till inFamous Second Son. Hopefully by then they will be more PS4′s around because I can’t find any where I live.

+ DigiOps on January 3rd, 2014 at 9:56 am said:

I’m surprised Destiny only got bronze.