PS4 - Destiny

PlayStation Plus: January Preview

Kristine Steimer's Avatar + Posted by Kristine Steimer on Dec 26, 2013 // Sr. Community Specialist

It’s almost time for the New Year, and we’re ready to kick-off 2014 in a big way. January’s Instant Game Collection will offer PlayStation Plus members loads of amazing titles, starting off with a new PlayStation 4 title — Don’t Starve. A wilderness survival game wrapped in a cute art style, you’ll take control of a Gentleman Scientist trying to make his way home from a mysterious place. Be warned – this is one of those games where you’ll die a lot, but if you ever get frustrated, just look at how cute your buddy Chester is and I’m sure everything will be okay.

For PlayStation 3 owners, you’ll be able to download three critically acclaimed games – DMC Devil May Cry, BioShock Infinite and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. DMC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the beloved franchise, and while Dante may have received a haircut and a new backstory, his weapons and fighting style should be fairly familiar to fans.

PlayStation Plus January 2014 Preview

Become a PlayStation Plus member

Created by the same folks who brought us BioShock, BioShock Infinite has received multiple Game of the Year nominations. This isn’t your average first-person shooter, you’ll gather vigors throughout your journey that will fling your enemies sky-high or unleash a horde of birds to peck at your foes.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons tugs at your heartstrings as you take control of two brothers (who would’ve guessed?), trying to cure their ailing father. You’ll be handling the sons with each analog stick, so once you get the hang of controlling two characters at once, you’ll need to solve various puzzles in order to save the day.

This month PlayStation Vita owners will be able to download Worms: Battle Island and Smart As. Worms: Battle Island stays true to the classic Worms formula of charming turn-based strategy gameplay. You can customize your wormy soldiers and use crazy weapons to take out the opposition.

Finally, Smart As will become your brain’s new best friend. Run through a series of mind-boggling challenges, and see where you stack up against your friends and other people in the world on the leaderboards. If you practice every day, maybe one day you’ll hit the top.

We’re also trying something new this month – we’ve created a video preview highlighting all of the titles you’ll receive as a Plus member, so give it a look and let me know what you think in the comments below!

January PlayStation Plus Preview

Don’t Starve (PS4)

PlayStation Plus January 2014 Preview

Free for PS Plus members
Don’t Starve: Console Edition is an uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic. You play as Wilson, an intrepid Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world. Wilson must learn to exploit his environment and its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home.

DMC Devil May Cry (PS3)

PlayStation Plus January 2014 Preview

Free for PS Plus members
In a society corrupted by demons only The Order can see the world for what it really is. Join Dante in the ultimate experience of stylish action chain together combo after combo with panache and dispatch demonic spawn back to hell – reveal the truth behind the lies. Explore Dante’s dark past encountering some the most familiar faces in the DmC universe. Call upon unimaginable powers combined with Dante’s epic arsenal of weapons: sword, scyte, axe,
pistols and more. Face your demons…

“As a character action game, it hits all the notes — fast, robust action, marvelous visual style, and a tremendous sense of attitude” – Giant Bomb: 5/5 Stars

BioShock Infinite (PS3)

PlayStation Plus January 2014 Preview

Free for PS Plus members
Indebted to the wrong people and with his life on the line, veteran of the U.S. Cavalry and hired gun Booker DeWitt has only one opportunity to wipe his slate clean. He must rescue Elizabeth, a mysterious girl imprisoned since childhood and locked up in the flying city of Columbia. Forced to trust one another, Booker and Elizabeth form a powerful bond during their daring escape. Together, they learn to harness an expanding arsenal of weapons and abilities, as they fight on zeppelins in the clouds, along high-speed Sky-Lines, and down in the streets of Columbia, all while surviving the threats of the sky-city and uncovering its dark secret.

BioShock Infinite is a brilliant shooter that nudges the entire genre forward” – IGN: 9.4/10

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)

PlayStation Plus January 2014 Preview

Free for PS Plus members
Share in the epic journey of two brothers, as they set out to find a cure for their dying father. Travel across beautiful vistas, through dark and foreboding forests, down perilous rivers, up hazardous mountain sides and experience the wonders of Nordic mythology along the way. Use the unique control system to control each brother with a thumb stick, for concurrent gameplay throughout the adventure. Use both brothers cooperatively to solve puzzles, explore the environments and in boss encounters.

“It’s a powerful venture that isn’t necessarily about where you began or where you end up; it’s about everything that happened in between.” – Destructoid” 8/10

Worms: Battle Island (PS Vita)

PlayStation Plus January 2014 Preview

Free for PS Plus members
Battle up to three other players offline or online on one of six landscape themes, using one of forty classic Worms weapons or some of your own creation in the weapons factory. With sixty single player challenges, five game modes, a powerful level editor and a massive selection of ways to personalize your worm army and customize your game experience, it’s a package sky-high on entertainment!

Smart As… (PS Vita)

PlayStation Plus January 2014 Preview

Free for PS Plus members
Join the brain gaming revolution! Use cutting-edge touch, tilt and camera controls to prove how smart you are in the first ever socially networked brain game on PS Vita. Solve math, memory, logic and word puzzles, crack augmented reality challenges and sharpen your rapid-fire reflexes to storm up the online leaderboards and show off your scores to the world via Facebook and Twitter.

If you’ve got feedback on PlayStation Plus make sure you take the poll above as well as leave a comment below. To chat about all things PlayStation, including this update, you can head over to the PlayStation Community Forums. You’ll also find other topics you can contribute your thoughts to, or you can start your own discussion.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 14

+ StingrayX on December 26th, 2013 at 10:50 am said:

Awesome!

+ xX_NaVaNzO_Xx on December 26th, 2013 at 10:56 am said:

hell yeah
i was so sad when the EU got Most wanted but now … hhhhhhhhh

+ mockduck on December 26th, 2013 at 10:56 am said:

Incredible as always! Really looking forward to Brothers and Smart As…, will also try out Bioshock and DMC. Thanks!

+ Moofboy on December 26th, 2013 at 10:59 am said:

I usually consider PS+ a success if I get two games that I actually wanted all year (with a bunch of surprises in between). Looks like January has already claimed one of the two with Bioshock. Well done guys! And I will definitely be trying the others also. Happy Holidays!

+ FilmMaker2009 on December 26th, 2013 at 11:00 am said:

So glad I didn’t go out and buy Bioshock Infinite with my Christmas money. Thank you Sony! Now I can use that money for Minecraft.

+ soundandvision77 on December 26th, 2013 at 11:02 am said:

Great work on the video preview Kristine. It’s nice to see some clips of the gameplay all in one place.

Great game selection this month too. Vita owners, Smart As is pretty fun and has quick daily challenges you can do when you fire up your vita. It has a nice interface and John Cleese is the announcer, who will quickly remind you of how good (or bad) you’re doing. It’s worth checking out!

+ ArkWake on December 26th, 2013 at 11:06 am said:

Amazing lineup! PlayStation Plus Rocks!!! :)

+ CloudStrife768 on December 26th, 2013 at 11:07 am said:

What an absolutely incredible list to kick off the new year.

+ blackhaze9 on December 26th, 2013 at 11:09 am said:

Best single month’s offerings since I joined up. Sadly already enjoyed the hell out of bioshock, but this is one of the best games to grace NA PS+.

Well done ps+ team, you have made a great deal of people very happy.

+ shikigami78 on December 26th, 2013 at 11:10 am said:

nice update. coollll!!!!
my semester is starting out great!!

+ MajorPenguin85 on December 26th, 2013 at 11:10 am said:

I was going to buy Bioshock: Infinite and DMC with a gift card from Christmas. Thanks for saving me some money Sony!!!!

+ Super_Aggro_Crag on December 26th, 2013 at 11:10 am said:

Vita games are really meh but the others make up for it. I haven’t played any of the ps3 games yet.

Still waiting for metal gear rising though!!

+ rudetoy on December 26th, 2013 at 11:15 am said:

OUTSTANDING, psn. This definitely makes up for the lousy last couple of weeks. The PS3 IGC lineup is fantastic, though the Vita selection leaves plenty to be desired. Looking forward to seeing the discount list also.

Keep it up!

+ buffalothc on December 26th, 2013 at 11:20 am said:

Awesome update. I haven’t played any of these games. I’ll check them all out except for the psp game . Please no more psp games. I’d rather get just one Vita game for the month.

+ iREVOLTER on December 26th, 2013 at 11:21 am said:

Wow , I’m thankful to PS+ ; I saved money from not buying Bioshock ; now i will enjoy it ).

Strong line-up with 2 FULL and big games and a PSN Digital nominated for Goty, very good .

+ TigerStealth on December 26th, 2013 at 11:24 am said:

Amazing PS3 games but honestly terrible Vita games. Huge disappointment for Vita. My Vita IGC wish list:

- Rayman Legends
- Sly Cooper Thieves in Time
- The Walking Dead Season 1
- Velocity Ultra

+ secularsage on December 26th, 2013 at 11:28 am said:

I like this reveal style, Kristine… the video is really cool and makes the games included look as exciting as they are!

The Vita’s got a poor crop this January (Worms is good, but not exactly revolutionary if you’ve played the series, and Smart As looks like it’s just a step above that Foosball game from last year), but the PS3 more than makes up for it. Bioshock Infinite was one of the best games of 2013, and DmC is pretty good as well.

I hope this means some great PS+ discounts are in store for January for the Vita. (I’m also hoping that Wipeout, Uncharted and Gravity Rush are eventually replaced with new evergreen titles like Killzone: Mercenary, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time and Playstation All-Star Battle Royale.)

Plus, I’m too busy with Terraria, Tearaway, Spelunky and Persona 4 Golden to need much more for my Vita now anyway!

+ NMeck702 on December 26th, 2013 at 11:31 am said:

Does that mean Don’t Starve comes out next week?! I haven’t been able to figure out when PSN games are released until they come out? Is there an extended calender of when to expect PSN games to come out on PS4?

+ VirtualDrizzle on December 26th, 2013 at 11:33 am said:

Amazing month

+ angelspawn77 on December 26th, 2013 at 11:35 am said:

Oh wow! Amazing list, too bad I already own some of those, but still a great list nonetheless! The rest will be a welcome addition to my library of PS games :D

+ dodgedoors on December 26th, 2013 at 11:35 am said:

Own Smart as and Bioshock, but still really pumped for the rest, esp . Huge value Bioshock is an amazing game and is tied with TLOU for GOTY on my list. I am paid up until late 2018 and I love how great at least one game a month is great here.

All this said I was hoping we were out of this PSP phase on IGC. It’s about time we stop with games that don’t utilize 2 thumbsticks and trophies.

+ XeahuleXolic on December 26th, 2013 at 11:38 am said:

The new year of 2014 is kicking off with another epic start with PS+ rocking it out with some sweet games!! Thank you!!

+ wOrldXploRe on December 26th, 2013 at 11:39 am said:

This is why PS+ is totally worth it!

+ tarrnation_88 on December 26th, 2013 at 11:40 am said:

I got a feeling…. WOOOOHOOOO… that January’s gon be a good month :)

+ Fardeenah on December 26th, 2013 at 11:42 am said:

i am disappointed in the vita games : ( but ps3 games are awesome. wished we had a better game

+ secularsage on December 26th, 2013 at 11:42 am said:

BTW, one way PS+ could be enchanced for the PS3 as releases wind down would be to bring back classic games for the IGC from time to time. There are so many great games for the PS3 that people have forgotten or missed by this point:

First party:

–SoulCalibur IV
–Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
–Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People parts 1-5
–SSX
–Burnout Paradise
–Odin Sphere (PS2)

All of these are great games that would be great additions to the IGC at different points!

+ Chuppa_ on December 26th, 2013 at 11:48 am said:

Game: My Interest Level:
Don’t Starve: 0/10 – I do not have PS4 (Polish price too high)
DmC: 2/10
Bioshock Infinite: 0/10
Brothers: 5/10 – ok easy 100%, but 5hours and only 100%..
Worms: -10/10 – AGAIN NO TROPHIES PSP SH*T
Smart as.. : 0/10 – ONLINE TROPHIES – OLD GAME too risky

+ Chuppa_ on December 26th, 2013 at 11:49 am said:

disappointed in the vita games

+ farshidus on December 26th, 2013 at 11:51 am said:

Thanks a lot Sony for listening to us and bring good games on PS Plus US network.
:-) great games for this month keep it up for 2014
happy new year

+ DJPlace on December 26th, 2013 at 11:53 am said:

this is a great start to a new year sony!! with ps4 out now and good ps3 for plus members!! wow i all ready bought worms sadly but still smart as… looks cool. i’m going 10/10 of a kick butt PS PLUS MONTH!! also any word of gams leaving ps plus next month?

+ tylerh1701 on December 26th, 2013 at 11:53 am said:

Excellent month for both PS4 and PS3. Vita this month is a little light, especially with a PSP game (which I’m not a fan of getting). But looks like we’re getting 6 games this month instead of the normal 5, so that more than makes up for it!

+ Strike-Snake85 on December 26th, 2013 at 12:01 pm said:

Just great, I really want DMC and Bioshock, still waiting for AC 3 and Metal Gear Rising fod PS3, and a heavy game for PSVITA.

+ punkmusic2009 on December 26th, 2013 at 12:02 pm said:

my ps4 sytem is always crashing on the network right now I cant go online

+ MKPACK on December 26th, 2013 at 12:04 pm said:

This is the best line-up of PS3 games that I can remember. It’s appreciated. I’m most excited to try Brothers. I liked the video run-down. Thanks for providing the update earlier than usual; I hope the timeline becomes the norm. I also hope you get some well deserved time off!

Drive Club, Braid, and Ni No Kuni (sp?) in February?

+ Vcheese on December 26th, 2013 at 12:06 pm said:

Pretty dissapointed, i mean, those are good games for PS3 but i already finished them off. Plus another psp game with false advertisement, aside that i sold my PS3 to buy a PS4 and the only thing we got is dont starve for whole january. I wish i could at least play mickey magical quest on my PS4… Sigh :(

+ Redux99v5 on December 26th, 2013 at 12:06 pm said:

Amazing list !!!! thanks Sony ^^

+ ARES405 on December 26th, 2013 at 12:07 pm said:

We need more on PS4…and when is the next PS4 update coming? I want to actually use my pulse headset wireless..oh and when are we going to hear anything about Gaikai? Come on Sony, you guys are lacking with the PS4 support, I remember when the PS3 came out you guys were on top of it, it seems like the XB1 is getting good support from Micro$oft, how is it you guys can’t actually keep up? And when are you guys ever going to strike a deal with Activision so we can actually get good support from them on software? Really tired of paying out the rear end just to take a backseat to some other crappy console. I’m a Sony faithful, always have been, always will be, but extremely aggravated at the lack of respect and support for we, The Playstation Nation.

+ xClayMeow on December 26th, 2013 at 12:08 pm said:

Since you asked for Vita IGC suggestions…

I’m still waiting for MGS HD Collection. Since EU got it as IGC, I refuse to buy the game out of principle and I’m sure others feel the same way. Not to mention that anyone who owns it on PS3 probably won’t double-dip for the Vita version, so I’m sure they’d appreciate it for free too.

I don’t know when you’re going to replace the three evergreens, but LBP Vita should be one of those replacements, especially since LBP2 was removed from IGC. P4G would obviously make a great evergreen replacement too. Before last month, I would have chosen Soul Sacrifice as the third.

Any of the LEGO games. Marvel is probably too new and there was a bundle for Batman 2, so LOTR is probably the best bet.

Since there has never been a Vita shooter as IGC, I’d suggest Unit 13 – something that most people will no longer buy now that KZM is out. Also, EU got it.

+ BeyondTheDepth on December 26th, 2013 at 12:08 pm said:

I just bought Brothers last week! First world problems are the worst! :(

+ Shoryyuken on December 26th, 2013 at 12:09 pm said:

Fantastic list. I’ve Platinum’d Bioshock, but for anyone who hasn’t played it this is ridiculous. You get one of the best games of 2013 for FREE. DMC is also really great, I can’t wait to replay it for FREE!

And Don’t Starve looks awesome for PS4! I can’t wait! And then there’s Brothers, oh man I can’t wait for that too. And that brain game for Vita looks cool. Only Vita got shafted really this month, besides that daaaaamn.

Good job Playstation, you guys are rocking face.

+ copyofcopy on December 26th, 2013 at 12:13 pm said:

you guys need to step up the vita igc additions. another crappy psp game? no thanks. i also wish the ps4 got more than one game, but with such a small library to pull from i can appreciate that it’s going to be hard to do every month…

+ MushThePainter on December 26th, 2013 at 12:15 pm said:

Meh.. Just kidding, great update!

+ Hayterfan on December 26th, 2013 at 12:18 pm said:

I love DMC, but DmC is just such an odd mixed bag, its not bad my any means, but its not good either just kinda ok.
Am glad to be getting brothers, was actually going to buy it last night (and then my brother used my leftover PSN money to buy Rocksmith DLC) so guess that kinda worked out

+ DaNTi3L on December 26th, 2013 at 12:21 pm said:

Wow well that is how you start strong

+ ShariusTC on December 26th, 2013 at 12:22 pm said:

and the games keep coming, damn, i even lost track of how many game i have in my digital libary over 3 years of PS+ because i don’t even have time to finish them both

+ kimboforever on December 26th, 2013 at 12:26 pm said:

the only thing what interest me is brothers a tales of two.smart as i gonna give a try
ps vita wish list
1.Earth defense force 2017 portable
2-everybody golf
3-guacamele
psp whislist
1.black rock shooter the game
2..castlevania dracula x chronicle
3.corpse party
4.unchained blades.

+ chavez1138 on December 26th, 2013 at 12:27 pm said:

I already bought Bioshock Infinite but this update is great! US PS+ is really getting better! no more PSP games, a good AAA PS3 game and a new PS4 game.

+ magicfan345 on December 26th, 2013 at 12:28 pm said:

Great way to start off the new year! That looks like a nice variety of games – on months you do that, there is a better chance there’s something for everyone.
Looking forward to playing Brothers on PS3 and Worms Battle Islands on Vita, thank-you!
Haven’t played any Bioshock games, will playing this one first ruin/reveal storylines from the first ones ? Or are they mostly unrelated stories ? Just wondering…
Also really liked the video preview, that was cool, keep that up each month :)
Happy New Year to Kristine and Morgan and the entire Playstation Plus Team !!!

+ chavez1138 on December 26th, 2013 at 12:31 pm said:

I just realized that worms is for PSP, I really thought PS+ was over with PSP titles… went from really excited to meh.

+ Tremulan777 on December 26th, 2013 at 12:31 pm said:

I’d like to see Lone Survivor for free on PS Vita. Please make it happen like you did with Hotline Miami. Thanks for DMC I’m all for it. I’m a happy PS Plus member.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 14