PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Happy New Year from the Contrast Team

Guillaume Provost's Avatar + Posted by Guillaume Provost on Jan 01, 2014 // Creative Director, Compulsion Games

Happy Holidays from Compulsion

When a small team of seven — five guys and two pretty amazing gals — set up to create Contrast in a small solarium a few years ago, we didn’t think we’d be launching on a brand new console, across several continents, or get as much attention as we did. 2013 was as exhausting as it was rewarding.

A true labor of love, our singular goal was to create a nice, compelling, and simple adventure while celebrating each other’s craft. Whether it was Whitney’s inspiring visual art (out of which we’ve built an entire art book), Josh and Trevor’s endless ideas about the ways in which we could use or reinvent our mechanics, or the unique way in which Sylvia’s animations are experienced in the game and our trailers, we found unique ways to respect each other’s work and encourage creativity.

Our partners told us that our passion was contagious and this quickly infected them, as they had found an outlet to express their own passions. Nicolas — who composed all the songs in Contrast — composed original songs with a contemporary jazz singer and local jazz instrumentalists. Alex wrote lyrics for the first time, and Laura Ellis donated her time and voice to the project. We even made an album out of it. Our friends at PixelNAUTS, who finished the world environments early, spent more than a month of their own time adding hidden memes and obscure (or not-so-obscure) references in the game.

Contrast, 01Contrast

Christmas came early for my own daughters as they unwrapped a very special gift. A game in which they’ve had a chance to contribute their own drawings, experiences, and personality, as well as their papa taking a longer moment than in the past three years to enjoy their smiles

The press considered us a curiosity project when we first showed the game at PAX East 2013, and we were humbled even more when they honored us with several high-profile nominations and wins. PlayStation, which embraces experimental projects — proposed that we become part of their launch story, so we doubled down on getting the game ready for all of you. Contrast launched with a few issues, but we want to assure you that we have read and heard all of your feedback and we’re continuing to work at resolving them. In the meantime, thank you.

For each of you that have and will experience our world, and for each spouse, child, or friend who sits down and watches along, we feel humbled and vindicated in doing what we love. As a developer it’s hard to ever be satisfied with the final product, but this project is what we set out to do. We wanted something different, something beautiful. We are grateful to all who helped us bring it to life, and to all of you for having us along for the ride.

From the entire Compulsion team, we hope your 2014 is filled with all that you hope for. Keep positive, because you never you know — your dreams, like ours, can come true.

66 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ GalatasarayEken on January 1st, 2014 at 9:04 am said:

Thank You! Happy New Year to the Contrast Team & Everybody else :)

+ Somnia_II on January 1st, 2014 at 9:06 am said:

Loved this game. Thank you.

+ GermaximusS on January 1st, 2014 at 9:06 am said:

That is a gorgeous picture at the top there. =) You guys at Compulsion Games are amazing. Thank you so much for the incredible experience of Contrast. I cannot wait for your next game.

+ Paranoimia on January 1st, 2014 at 9:08 am said:

Completed it last night with just a few trophies to mop up on a second play through, and despite a few minor issues, found it very enjoyable. Loved the shift in/out game mechanic. Thanks!

+ NX_Nytrux on January 1st, 2014 at 9:15 am said:

Happy New Year Everybody, Keep playing!!!

+ KiiillRoy on January 1st, 2014 at 9:16 am said:

The Vita version is dead or ?

+ skipturnstep on January 1st, 2014 at 9:24 am said:

Happy New Year!

I played and finished Contrast yesterday evening and loved it! Thank you for making the game. I am looking forward to your future projects!

+ ArmedOne78 on January 1st, 2014 at 9:24 am said:

Great game. Keep up the good work. Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Husteen on January 1st, 2014 at 9:44 am said:

the contrast team was only seven people? no way!

anyways, happy new year, and i will definitely be picking up this game when i get my ps4 =]

+ muso2005 on January 1st, 2014 at 10:05 am said:

Thanks for bringing such an enjoyable and innovative game to PS4 so early… it wouldn’t have been half as good without Contrast to play while on holiday and having the time to play. Happy New Year!

+ CrusaderForever on January 1st, 2014 at 10:14 am said:

Thank you for Contrast! It’s really a beautiful unique game. I am almost done with it and I have enjoyed it immensely. Happy New Year!

+ Alyyse on January 1st, 2014 at 10:41 am said:

Happy New Year!

+ TLove92 on January 1st, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

I like it, I think its 2nd best psn game out there. They should make dlc for this game, I will buy it.

+ MKPACK on January 1st, 2014 at 11:39 am said:

I love the game! I hope you have as sequel or another original project in the works. Happy New Year. Thank you.

+ Matrix_Lion on January 1st, 2014 at 11:43 am said:

We Made It

+ medenko1975 on January 1st, 2014 at 11:44 am said:

bring some DLC :)

+ SWITCH_00599 on January 1st, 2014 at 11:48 am said:

THANK you team Happy New Year!!! :D

+ Critosis on January 1st, 2014 at 12:36 pm said:

Liked your game guys.

+ Ravenous74 on January 1st, 2014 at 12:37 pm said:

I have to be honest…that made me tear up a bit. Thank you so much and Happy New Year to all of you :-)

+ KnifingGrimace on January 1st, 2014 at 1:45 pm said:

I still don’t have a PS4 yet, but I’m really looking forward to making this the very first game I play once I do own one. Thank you for the new year wishes, and congratulations on your success.

+ ngreatshark on January 1st, 2014 at 1:48 pm said:

I went into Contrast not really expecting anything, and came out completely blown away by what I had seen and heard during my initial play through, and to hear this was all put together by a small dev team is nothing short of impressive. One of the most unique gaming experiences I’ve had, and definitely a highlight game for me when I think back on 2013. Hope there will be a sequel.

+ Lacerz on January 1st, 2014 at 2:05 pm said:

Thanks for the game! Enjoy the film noir environment!

+ Budapesti on January 1st, 2014 at 2:10 pm said:

I LOVED that you put a TARDIS in the game. Nice touch. Happy New Year!

+ MmaFanQc on January 1st, 2014 at 2:28 pm said:

Guillaume, bonne année a votre equipe aussi!

+ MisterA187 on January 1st, 2014 at 2:54 pm said:

I loved this game! I need more of it! Happy New Year!

+ gemuvan on January 1st, 2014 at 2:57 pm said:

Wow, guys, your game is so super awesome =). I think it’s my favourite indie game so far. And I’ve played a lot of indies =). So, trust me, you are the best =). Anyway, looking forward for your next game =). And Happy New Year!!!

+ Smooth423 on January 1st, 2014 at 3:15 pm said:

Probably one of my favorite launch titles. I literaly could not stop playing. I played it twice to get 100% of the trophies. (which were easy enough to achieve while having fun playing). I pray for DLC or a Contrast 2. Keep u the good work!

+ INFIDEL_JIHAD on January 1st, 2014 at 4:08 pm said:

I enjoyed contrast & it also gave my neices & others in my family something to play when we had people over for xmas day, they enjoyed it very much , I like your indie dev story so much i’ll buy your next game :o)

+ deadendblues on January 1st, 2014 at 4:18 pm said:

Thanks for a fantastic game I loved the music and platforming design. I think I watched all of the shadow scenes fantastic!

+ PainOfSarrow on January 1st, 2014 at 4:25 pm said:

wow amazing playstation store update. thanks for this just on time.

+ spacemonkeyham on January 1st, 2014 at 4:34 pm said:

Love your work . . . it’s one of the big reasons I’m planning to get a PS4.

+ INFIDEL_JIHAD on January 1st, 2014 at 4:43 pm said:

LoL painofsarrow pretty sure this dev has 0 to do with updating the store … The store update will come in time … It always does :o)

+ plaztiksyke on January 1st, 2014 at 4:43 pm said:

It’s a beautiful game, and the fact you guys are supporting it so well post-release means any future releases from you are likely an insta-buy for me.

Fantastic to see a game that puts female characters front and center, and finds an interesting period in history and culture to put them in. The fun puzzle mechanics on top of it were icing on the cake.

While some of the clipping/collision detection issues put me off a bit (like in Papo & Yo), I appreciate the other extremely polished areas.

+ Xoombie503 on January 1st, 2014 at 4:43 pm said:

i hope dlc or contrast 2 is on the works

+ SG_danny on January 1st, 2014 at 5:27 pm said:

Right back at ‘ya Complusion! Wonderful game. Haven’t finished it yet but so far, so good!

+ punkmusic2009 on January 1st, 2014 at 7:00 pm said:

lol

+ PatricioUSA on January 1st, 2014 at 7:44 pm said:

I really enjoyed your game guys. Wonderful Story line.

+ gowofwarkratos1 on January 1st, 2014 at 8:20 pm said:

Happy New Year and thanks for this cool game! Loved!

+ Teflon02 on January 1st, 2014 at 8:37 pm said:

Love how artistic this game was. BUT, you wanna know what pissed me off, that they released a completely buggy game and after I 100% it, they release a update fixing it -.-’ I had to restart checkpoints for nonsense too much and get glitched everytime I was putting down a box lol. I can’t understand how that was missed since it happened to me everytime lol. None the less, It was a great experience apart from those issues, I’ll be looking forward to whats next, hopefully releases in a better quality

+ idn86i on January 1st, 2014 at 10:58 pm said:

Happy New Year!!!

+ trav54 on January 2nd, 2014 at 12:19 am said:

Thank you for creating a fantastic game with great visuals, amazing music, and terrific gameplay. One of the gems I discovered in 2013 thanks to the PS4.

+ Kyle_325 on January 2nd, 2014 at 1:42 am said:

Happy new year!
This was for sure one of my favorite PSN games of the year!!!

+ Gamerzlimited on January 2nd, 2014 at 2:51 am said:

Happy New Year! When I ever get a PS4, I’ll play this game day one!

+ akisuo on January 2nd, 2014 at 6:18 am said:

Happy New Year!

Loving Contrast. Really happy it was free with PS+, and I would of bought it if it wasn’t. =)

+ lildragn on January 2nd, 2014 at 6:21 am said:

Happy New year! Guillaume, we’re cheering for you guys down here in T.O. :)

+ PRIMUS_420 on January 2nd, 2014 at 8:34 am said:

Ita was a great puzzle/platformer and the storyline was interesting. I got 100% of the trophies. . Too bad no platinum.

+ Ecks on January 2nd, 2014 at 9:49 am said:

I enjoyed Contrast on PS4, but I likely would have passed on it if it wasn’t free through Plus. A game priced at $14.99 always gives me pause, where at $9.99 it usually is an impulse buy. I’m glad the developers have taken the time to clean up the bugs that were present in the game. Looking forward to the next project from this team!

+ MarkNMo on January 2nd, 2014 at 9:57 am said:

Thanks for putting this on the PS4. It was really enjoyable to play through. I loved the atmosphere so much, as I’m a big movie buff, so being in a film noir setting was fantastic. I finished it all in one day, and I would gladly play a sequel if you choose to ever make one.

+ S__Ashley__S on January 2nd, 2014 at 11:15 am said:

Happy New Year! Hope to see more games from you guys on the Playstation 4. I really enjoyed playing Contrast!

+ tilley6860 on January 2nd, 2014 at 11:16 am said:

what Craig explained I’m surprised that anybody can profit $9894 in 4 weeks on the computer. Check This Out>>>>bay91.C­­­O­­­­­­M

PAGE 1 2