PS4-Watch_Dogs

The Drop: New PlayStation Releases for January 7th, 2014

Ryan Clements's Avatar + Posted by Ryan Clements on Jan 05, 2014 // Social Media Specialist

Don't Starve

Some days, you wake up in a warm bed — perhaps next to a loved one — and you start the day fresh, with the sweetness of a half-remembered dream lingering behind your eyes. Other times, you wake up on a twisted island of dark horrors with a fast-depleting hunger meter and a growing beard. On those days, you’re likely playing Don’t Starve, which launches on PS4 this week!

That’s right friends, the fan-favorite survival game finds a new home on PS4. Don’t Starve is an uncompromising, randomly-generated survival game where you must help the Gentleman Scientist Wilson endure the harsh (likely demonic) environment for as long as possible. Gather food, craft tools, construct shelter, and hunt unlikely foes with a brutal challenge at every footfall.

Don't StarveDon't Starve

If vigorous survival isn’t your cup of tea, there’s more coming to the world of PlayStation! But since we’re emerging from our light holiday lineup, we took a “Drop Lite” approach today. See below for a complete list of games hitting PlayStation this week, and enjoy!

We’ll see you next week for a regularly-formatted Drop. Hope your New Year is starting off great!

The information above is subject to change without notice.

PAGE 1 2 3 4
Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on January 5th, 2014 at 10:51 am said:

It’s the first Drop of the New Year! Delicious!

+ PainOfSarrow on January 5th, 2014 at 10:55 am said:

ohhh mannn

+ wally_mammoth on January 5th, 2014 at 10:56 am said:

Can’t wait for Don’t Starve! Ryan, do you know if the “console edition” has any major differences from the PC Beta? Oh and happy 2014!

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on January 5th, 2014 at 10:59 am said:

Hi! Happy New Year!

I don’t have access to any information on the differences between the two versions — that would be a question for @klei to answer.

However, we hope to have more info on Don’t Starve in the near future. Stay tuned!

Cheers!

+ PGabriel22 on January 5th, 2014 at 10:57 am said:

Yeah! I’m so excited for the releases of this month!

+ gerneric123 on January 5th, 2014 at 10:57 am said:

Whoa, a PSP game in 2014.

dat 10 year plan

Will it be on Vita compatible on day 1?

+ ThumbsOfSteel74 on January 5th, 2014 at 11:01 am said:

Love the new format! :P

Nice to see the Drop back in business. :)

Regarding the lineup, I wasn’t expecting much this week anyway. Might check out the new demo.

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on January 5th, 2014 at 11:07 am said:

Haha, yes, this “format” is definitely not a permanent fixture of the Drop. ^_^

Check out Don’t Starve, too. I had a lot of fun with it on PC and can’t wait to see it on PS4.

Cheers!

+ Samemind on January 5th, 2014 at 11:11 am said:

I’m confused, I thought Tiny Brains was already released on PS3 and PS4.

+ Stryker-7- on January 5th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

Woot Woot! been playing Don’t Starve on my laptop, Excited to get some trophies for it on my PS4!

+ Noctis_HD on January 5th, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

Will it be free for PS+ members when it comes out as well? Or is that another day?

+ Paulie1313 on January 5th, 2014 at 11:25 am said:

@ Stryker -7. As far as I heard, no are no trophies for this game. I could be wrong, but it’s what I heard.

+ NX_Nytrux on January 5th, 2014 at 11:30 am said:

More PS2 classics please.

+ RoII_chan on January 5th, 2014 at 11:40 am said:

I like the other format more, btw what happened to the past update, was that a joke?

+ jimmyjam14810 on January 5th, 2014 at 11:44 am said:

Does anyone know if don’t starve is coming to ps3 or psvita I would definitely buy for either

+ FL1GHTMARE on January 5th, 2014 at 12:03 pm said:

Nice, 1st PS4/PSplus Member download in 2014. Hope this will be a continued pattern from here on out. for PS4 owners. Thanks again for sharing. Looking forward to Don’t Starve on the 7th. (BTW Is this also Remote Play compatible for my PSVita?)

+ EdReedFan20 on January 5th, 2014 at 12:19 pm said:

Any clue when Warthunder will release on the US store? EU has had it since 11/22. I heard US was supposed to have it then too, but there was some sort of snag in getting it released here. Game looks like a blast.

+ Mando44646 on January 5th, 2014 at 12:22 pm said:

So is Don’t Starve free for PS+ when it arrives?

+ Mando44646 on January 5th, 2014 at 12:23 pm said:

also, where is Warthunder? Why is Sony in NA so slow on that game compared to other regions?

+ darkrchaos on January 5th, 2014 at 12:29 pm said:

No Gex 2… I got my money I’m been waiting forever. When do we get more PS1 Classics?

+ IMEMKU on January 5th, 2014 at 12:41 pm said:

any discounts coming this week?

+ FL1GHTMARE on January 5th, 2014 at 12:41 pm said:

@ post #16 Mando44646 Not sure if link from the blog are vefified but this should help.

+ boomstickbhg on January 5th, 2014 at 12:49 pm said:

Why did Kristine lie last week about there being a store update including new plus sales on the 31st?

Why has no one commented/replied to blog posts from last week?

Xmas was two weeks ago, why did the Blog staff decide to go silent last week without anyone filling in for them?

Do you even care anymore about communicating with your customers?

+ CrimsonDev on January 5th, 2014 at 12:58 pm said:

Ps2 Classics: DarkCloud 1 & 2….anyone?….Ok…
Wouldn’t mind seeing those 2, but if it’s an HD version well…even better.

+ ThiagoArroadie on January 5th, 2014 at 1:02 pm said:

Don’t Starve is definitely something you want to spend some time playing. Nice to see it on PS4 :)

+ L2K7 on January 5th, 2014 at 1:21 pm said:

A PSP Game. How interesting. Does this mean more could come? Hope that’s a yes.

+ cbm22 on January 5th, 2014 at 1:36 pm said:

When is TBOI rebirth coming out? Its my most anticipated ps4 game

+ Monterossa on January 5th, 2014 at 1:46 pm said:

Tell me a reason why I should buy a PS4.

All I can see is these indie games so it’s a $400 indie system.

+ ElijahCuddlefish on January 5th, 2014 at 1:51 pm said:

“..with the sweetness of a half-remembered dream lingering behind your eyes.” Beautiful line, Ryan.

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on January 6th, 2014 at 10:22 am said:

Why thank you. ^_^

+ boomstickbhg on January 5th, 2014 at 2:06 pm said:

Lol I don’t mind that indie dev’s are out there, once in a blue moon they actually make a game worth playing, but since launch has there been anything for the PS4 but indies?

And why are all the PS4 Plus offerings Indie games?

I bought my PS4 (well paid for it) back when we were supposed to get a real game, Drive Club for Plus.

Will we ever get a real game in the IGC for the PS4?

Will there be releases in the near future that aren’t just indie games or ports of PS3 games? (even with improved GFX like Tomb Raider it’s still the same as ps3 for the most part).

PS4 has a ton of potential, but I’ve barely touched mine in the past few weeks, fortunately PS3 still has plenty to play.

+ ongbak30 on January 5th, 2014 at 2:07 pm said:

what a joke!!! I pay £350 on a ps4, and then pay 3 months subscription for ps+, and what do we get??? 2 games contrast and resogun, that by anyones calculations should of gone onto the next month already, Ps4 29th Nov. Now 5/01/2014. So how is that having a new game every month!!?? Get your act together!!!!

+ lamie64 on January 5th, 2014 at 2:09 pm said:

Kudos to the Sony team for doing so much to support indie games; it’s the main reason I bought the system. It’s the independent games that are delving into new ways of playing and keeping the whole scene fresh in the wake of the FPS market saturation. Keep them coming!

Also, Ryan et al: I think addressing people’s comments like this and answering their quick questions is a great business practice and it’s apprecited! So, thanks!

+ Snakeshadow18 on January 5th, 2014 at 2:21 pm said:

And when are we going to have Bioshock Infinite and DMC? I don’t think that Kristine had lied to us but I would like to know when are DMC and Bioshock Infinite going to be uploaded to the PS Store.

+ Death8u4u on January 5th, 2014 at 2:23 pm said:

You entitled individuals need to get over yourselves. Instant Game Collection does not mean the same thing as “we will never have to pay for games again”, so quit acting like it. PSN+ became the primary source of paying for online services for our console, hence all the improvements across the entire network. You people need to quit acting like you’re 5 years old, get a real job, and start actually paying for things you want. Stop expecting everything to be handed to you.

As far as the lack of PS4 games being released…indie games are the only ones being made available due to their development times. Bigger games take a lot more effort and a lot more time. Nevermind the fact that this is the same thing that happens >EVERY< time a new console is released…

+ ElijahCuddlefish on January 5th, 2014 at 2:35 pm said:

@Death8u4u #31
Well said. Hates gonna hate…behind a keyboard. So brave.

+ Superstone on January 5th, 2014 at 2:51 pm said:

More PSone & PS2 classics this year!!

+ carlpain on January 5th, 2014 at 3:01 pm said:

My only problem with Indies for consoles is that they rarely get updates or patches. Don’t Starve got a huge update months ago, pretty sure this “Console Edition” has it, but where do you go from there? I know more caves will be added to the game. Will this be part of the console edition with a patch (later)? It is like with Guacamole. Super overpriced for console. Heck, Steam had the game (Gold Edtition) for 3 bucks

+ boomstickbhg on January 5th, 2014 at 3:02 pm said:

” PSN+ became the primary source of paying for online services for our console, hence all the improvements across the entire network.”

And yet somehow the PSN is worse, more error prone and unreliable than ever.

There’s been days in a row when no one could even get on the PSN.

PS4 in particular has had a ton of problems in the past few weeks.

So where exactly are the improvements for our Plus money?

Oh right, they are yet to exist as the PSN is slower and worse to use than ever, just check the msg boards for any online PS4 game.

Nice try, but your ‘excuse’ for the lack of PSN content falls short since the PSN barely functions on PS4 lately.

+ Death8u4u on January 5th, 2014 at 3:15 pm said:

boomstick, I suggest upgrading your internet or get rid of wireless. I have yet to have a single issue with the PS4′s connection, excluding problems that are entirely out of Sony’s hands (namely games disconnecting/crashing due to piss poor programming on EA/DICE’s end).

And brilliant method of making your case even more unsubstantiated chief. Take a biased sample to make a claim over the situation in general. Makes perfect sense…if you wish to ignore the fact that forums are ALWAYS the place people go for complaints. You have no reason to go to a forum if your are not experiencing any problems. The reason for your complaints makes a lot more sense when you making asinine statements like that one.

+ Ireguard on January 5th, 2014 at 3:19 pm said:

Um, I don’t know about you guys but I haven’t paid for a game in a long time. I am so behind on great games like Dragon’s Dogma, Amaleur, Hotline Miami, Rayman, Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Hitman, Resident Evil games, and SIne Mora. I just can’t keep up. Now there’s Bioshock and DMC on the way. If you got PS+ for PS4 then it’s not going to be as great of a deal as opposed to having all systems. PS4 just dropped and it’s numbered in games. I just finished Soul Sacrifice such a great game that I will make sure to drop money on SoulSacrifice Delta. Resogun was so much fun for me. Waiting on Dark souls 2 and FFX.

+ spookcuz on January 5th, 2014 at 3:24 pm said:

Are people really expecting full AAA titles to come to ps plus for ps4 this soon? The thing hasn’t even been out for 2 months yet! And even with it only being out 2 months we’ve already received Contrast, Resogun, Don’t Starve this Tuesday and soon Drive Club. I just don’t see how people can complain about the offerings.

+ pablofsi08 on January 5th, 2014 at 3:26 pm said:

Death8u4u: nice name (sarcasm). Your argument is false too, there have been no improvements and also, there can’t be any improvements that justify paying for Plus as a mandatory suscription in order to access multiplayer features. Games are never played themselves using Sony servers, they are using each company’s servers or p2p (peer to peer connection, which means both players act as servers to each other). I doubt that, excluding games made by Sony, any games use Sony servers for their matchmaking which is just tackling groups of playing together before they actually start playing. So, paying for Plus will never improve online lag, latency or delay, Sony has nothing to do with those things so don’t be a false know-it-all prick.

Secondly, I’ve hardly seen improvement when syncing trophies to Sony servers. It’s more normal than it was on PS3 but that’s because it took like… 5 minutes to sync 500 trophies with the Sony servers on PS3, still takes 30 seconds or so here. Mediocre improvement, cloud storage was already there and from what I remember the bandwidth you’d enjoy on it was fine on PS3 and Plus was optional.

+ Od1n757 on January 5th, 2014 at 3:30 pm said:

does dont starve have local multiplayer

+ Death8u4u on January 5th, 2014 at 3:30 pm said:

spookcuz , 9 times out of 10 the people complaining about not getting free things are either incapable of getting a job due to being too young still or they’re too ill-equipped to manage their finances effectively enough to afford what they want. Then you get people like boomstick that simply feel entitled to everything when they offer pocket change in exchange.

+ Death8u4u on January 5th, 2014 at 3:32 pm said:

pablofsi08 , who said that improving the PSN would decrease lag or anything else that you rambled on so ignorantly about?

+ boomstickbhg on January 5th, 2014 at 3:43 pm said:

lol @ pocket change.

I’m very very comfortable saying and believing that I’ve spent more on sony games, devices etc.. in the past few years, than half of the people who post on this blog COMBINED.

Just because you don’t have any issues doesn’t mean they don’t exist (PSN).

Just because there are people who only post on forums to complain, doesn’t change that there are many many gamers who post on forums for other reasons (advice, discoveries, community interaction, etc… etc… etc…)

Also, there would be no point in the people who do post problems, posting them if they didn’t exist.

So because you think that people go on forums to complain, their complaints are invalid?

I’m sorry to see the only way you feel you are able to “prove” your point is to resort to name calling and insults, instead of providing actual proof that you are right. Not too surprising though, since there is no proof that you are, but much evidence that you’re wrong. (about PSN stability globally)

+ pablofsi08 on January 5th, 2014 at 3:46 pm said:

Then state what are these improvements you are talking about. You just come off as an arrogant ego hungry kid.

Typical, short answer to avoid discussing any of my non counterable arguments.

I have way more games than you do, money is not the point, it’s value of service and respect to customers which are the two main reasons Xbox’s launch was a joke similar to the Jaguar.

+ siriusbee on January 5th, 2014 at 3:47 pm said:

#38 / @spookcuz: Usually probably just drunk venting, or personality of an impatient child.

I would like to echo @edreedfan20 / #15 about War Thunder though. What is up with holding out on that game? From all accounts, it’s pretty awesome. I hope the reason it’s not been released in the US is not that they’re hoarding it for a dry spell or something?

+ Drummlers on January 5th, 2014 at 3:49 pm said:

very nice, do we have a release date on Outlast for ps4?

+ ThumbsOfSteel74 on January 5th, 2014 at 3:49 pm said:

@Death8u4u: Thank you.

You make a great point about forums being the place people turn to report problems. Which is why it’s important to also report a lack of problems (when/if that is the case) so that nobody gets the wrong idea. Well said, indeed.

(Again, folks, it’s not that I have a problem with legit complaints. But if we’re being fair, no one should have a problem with legit praise.)

@pablofsi08: I don’t think it’s accurate to say no improvements have been made. Besides, Plus is and will continue to be mandatory for online play on PS4 regardless of how anyone feels about it. Your list of choices is as follows: a) get Plus, or b) don’t play online (except for games that are already free-to-play).

You do make some good points about the fact that Sony’s servers often have nothing to do with a given game’s online component.

@boomstickbhg: No, if I understand him correctly he’s saying that just because complaints exist on forums doesn’t mean you can draw conclusions from them. The valid ones DO deserve our attention, but we can’t rule out the possibility that the problems have other causes without further evidence.

+ boomstickbhg on January 5th, 2014 at 3:56 pm said:

Oh for the record I am somewhat annoyed with PS4 in general since both Drive Club (the only proper IGC game we had coming) and Watchdogs were suddenly delayed very shortly before the PS4 launch. (WD was my only launch title at the time)

So I can’t claim a totally unbiased opinion, heck I thought that Plus was better before the IGC existed.

@ThumbsOfSteel74

Even if that’s what he meant, it’s not what he said.

Instead of arguing actual points, he’s resorting now to name calling and insults so I won’t be taking anything he says on here seriously going forward. Guess he’s one of those “troll” people I often hear about.

Do problems get exaggerated on Forums? Sure they do. But they still exist.

Besides of the approx. 20 people I know, in real life, not some online form, who have PS4s, ALL OF THEM have been having a lot of trouble with the PSN for the latter half of December onward.

+ pablofsi08 on January 5th, 2014 at 3:57 pm said:

My options? or for those that are considering it and you know, haven’t purchased it yet? I suppose you can see that yellow cross at the top right of my ID. I’ve been a PS Plus suscriptor since I got PS3 in 2011.

If there have been improvements that actually justify paying for a suscription and it isn’t a move to suck up as much more money from everyone’s pockets as possible, as good as free games are, name them accurately, otherwise don’t name that as an argument without any basis while calling others names because they are talking about stuff without writing text here explaining the reasons why they say so.

If you are gonna assume there are arguments behind your reasonings people that are obvious you should assume there are in other people’s opinions which you might be overlooking.

PAGE 1 2 3 4