PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Don’t Starve Out Today on PS4, Free for PS Plus

Corey Rollins's Avatar + Posted by Corey Rollins on Jan 07, 2014 // Community Manager, Klei Entertainment

Don't Starve on PS4

Hey everyone! I’m Corey Rollins from Klei Entertainment, and I’m here to talk about our newest PS4 downloadable game: Don’t Starve. It’s available today on PlayStation Store for $14.99 and it’s free for PlayStation Plus.

If you’re new to the game, Don’t Starve is an uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic. While there are many unique characters to discover and unlock along the way, you’ll start as the gentleman scientist, Wilson. After being lured with infinite knowledge by a demon named Maxwell, Wilson finds himself trapped in a mysterious and unforgiving world. Wilson must learn to exploit his environment and its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home.

Don't Starve on PS4Don't Starve on PS4

Don’t Starve is a game that gives no instruction, and forces players to adapt or die in the process. And oh my, die you will! After every death, a new world is procedurally generated, and you’ll find yourself scrambling to gather resources, explore the world, encounter bizarre creatures, and play your own way to unravel the mysteries around you.

One of the biggest features of the console edition is the inclusion of every single update since the game’s PC launch. After Don’t Starve’s original release, we committed to releasing regular content updates every 3 weeks for 6 months. In the PS4 version you’ll have them all right from day one, including the massive Caves update and the discoverable “Adventure Mode” which will let you embark on a journey through multiple randomly generated unique worlds in an effort to escape.

Alright folks! You’re ready to begin your quest as esteemed intrepid explorers and champions of science! We’ve poured a ton of love into this game and developed it alongside a vibrant community throughout the beta and post release content updates.

If you’ve got any questions or want further tips, come say hello on Twitter. We’re always around and happy to chat. After all, this game wouldn’t be what it is today without the amazing discussions and feedback from our friends in the community.

+ Squiggle55 on January 7th, 2014 at 12:49 pm said:

I am totally going to tell my PS4 to start downloading this while I’m still at work. What a great system. Really looking forward to this game I love the art.

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 12:56 pm said:

Thanks so much! We really wanted to try something new with the art on this. It’s our first “3D” world we’ve worked on. We also wanted to experiment with a new dark / creepy art style for the characters and creatures. Hope you enjoy it!

+ fivestarboy1 on January 7th, 2014 at 12:50 pm said:

Corey btw they are continuing Uncharted they anounced it the night of PS4 launch night :)

+ hawjboi2009 on January 7th, 2014 at 12:51 pm said:

hey Corey Rollins, why does Don’t starve have only 10 trophies ? it should have 25 trophies plus platinum trophy

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:01 pm said:

Sony decides what games get a Platinum Trophy. We designed a set based on the request from Sony.

+ MMandevil on January 7th, 2014 at 12:52 pm said:

IT”S FREE!!!!!!

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:01 pm said:

WOOOH!

+ MarineCastro on January 7th, 2014 at 12:52 pm said:

It’s up! Yay! It’s for free download it now!

+ fivestarboy1 on January 7th, 2014 at 12:53 pm said:

ITS UP IN EASTERN TIMEZONES NOW THANK YOU SO MUCH COREY GOING TO GO PLAY FOR HOURS! <3

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:03 pm said:

GREAT SUCCESS! Enjoy :D

+ VictimUnknown on January 7th, 2014 at 12:54 pm said:

I’m seeing where it says free for PS+ But it isnt showing up as free. I do have PS+ as I extended it last night for another month.

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:04 pm said:

Try logging out of your account, then back in. It’s slowly appearing for people. It will be ready in the next hour or so for everyone. Their goal was 2PM and some people are already seeing it.

+ fivestarboy1 on January 7th, 2014 at 12:54 pm said:

nvm it still makes me pay even though it had the free thing :(

+ sulimonster on January 7th, 2014 at 12:55 pm said:

it is not showing for frr for plus members?? it wants to charge my acc wth??

+ MMandevil on January 7th, 2014 at 12:55 pm said:

I don’t know why Fivestarboy1 I’m downloading it now.

+ Kolorado719 on January 7th, 2014 at 12:55 pm said:

I know this is off topic but you guys need to update themes or at least be able to change the “blue” background. My god its hideous.

+ fivestarboy1 on January 7th, 2014 at 12:56 pm said:

MMandevil you in eastern timezone?

+ alex042795 on January 7th, 2014 at 12:57 pm said:

I’m currently downloading this. so excited to play :)

+ XtraTrstrL on January 7th, 2014 at 12:57 pm said:

It still isn’t free, goodness, wanted to try the game before work. Always something with PSN, I’d think things would be more in order with all the money they are now getting with the forced PS+ subs.

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:07 pm said:

Also had reports that if you are a PSN+ Member, even if it says 14.99 when you click to download it won’t charge you it just downloads it.

HOWEVER!!!!…. if you see any credit card / payment screens etc. Back out and wait another 15-20. It’s almost done for everyone.

+ MMandevil on January 7th, 2014 at 12:59 pm said:

Yes I am FiveStar.

+ fivestarboy1 on January 7th, 2014 at 12:59 pm said:

MMandevil mind if i add you?

+ MMandevil on January 7th, 2014 at 1:01 pm said:

Go ahead man, The more friends the merrier.

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:02 pm said:

Hey all, many are finally now seeing the game for Free as PSN+ members. If you are not, try quitting the store / logging out / logging in to force it to refresh. People should start seeing it soon!

+ fivestarboy1 on January 7th, 2014 at 1:05 pm said:

there we go finally worked :)

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:10 pm said:

YAY! Enjoy :)

+ coolghostish on January 7th, 2014 at 1:05 pm said:

I have ps plus and it is not excepting it is still trying to charge me for the free games it has never done that before

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:07 pm said:

Also had reports that if you are a PSN+ Member, even if it says 14.99 when you click to download it won’t charge you, it just downloads it.

+ skullman43 on January 7th, 2014 at 1:06 pm said:

im downloading it now cant wait to try it and im a member also

+ ASAP_Gallus on January 7th, 2014 at 1:09 pm said:

:D ty!

+ medenko1975 on January 7th, 2014 at 1:09 pm said:

just leeched :)

+ WurtermeIon on January 7th, 2014 at 1:10 pm said:

Free now for me, just had to log out and back in.

+ Zeider78 on January 7th, 2014 at 1:11 pm said:

Hey, I’m a PS plus member and I was trying to download Don’t Starve for free but $14,99 were “taken” from my wallet. Is there any chance to get this money back? Can you do something?

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:16 pm said:

Sorry to hear that happened! But fear not, just contact Sony Customer support and they will provide a full refund. They’ve already assured me that’s the case :)

+ honkayjeezus on January 7th, 2014 at 1:11 pm said:

Why is Sony putting it up for fifteen bucks before the Plus version goes active for most? That makes zero sense, and seems shady.

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:17 pm said:

I also wish it was rolled out a bit different, but if you are charged for it and have PSN+ they’ve assured me you will get a full refund in that situation.

+ XXHEROXX-007 on January 7th, 2014 at 1:12 pm said:

OMG!

+ GO_HABS_GO_20– on January 7th, 2014 at 1:16 pm said:

hey what’s up guy’s, can somebody explain something to me…. why the psn store asking me to pay 14.99$ for the game when i try to grabs it …. it’s suppose to be free for ps+ and it’s wrote free for Ps+ member ((what i am as well))….until the time i want to start the download after they asking for payment

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:19 pm said:

Try logging out of your account, then back in. (or turn the console on / off) The store is just now refreshing for people. Their target time was 2PM PST so they’re actually a bit early.

+ MrSazperilla on January 7th, 2014 at 1:20 pm said:

It is still not free for me. I go to the Don’t Starve Page it says Download and the price is free for PS Plus Users which I am. I confirm that if my PS Plus sunscription ends I will no longer be able to play the game. Proceed to checkout. Then my only optuion is to add funds!

I have tryed logging in and out of PSN

I have also restarted PS4

Hopefully it will all be straighted out soon.

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:21 pm said:

+ GO_HABS_GO_20– on January 7th, 2014 at 1:22 pm said:

alright i already have been test that…i just wait an hour or 2…

thxs for the fast answer +++

+ niteight on January 7th, 2014 at 1:22 pm said:

I’ve logged out & logged back in a half dozen times. It doesn’t do any good. PS Store is still wanting $14.99 for the ”free” game.

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:25 pm said:

It may just be your region, not everyone is seeing it yet, but most are starting to. Their target time was 2PM so those that see it now are a bit early. The update is not instant for all servers, it’s a bit of a “roll out”.

+ PolarLew on January 7th, 2014 at 1:23 pm said:

Why does the US get the update for the free game before UK? Does not make a bit of sense! Also is store update at 2pm approximately today in the UK as well or do we have to wait for that until tomorrow?

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:26 pm said:

To be honest, I’m not entirely sure. I believe the PSN servers just update at different times. We wish we could have done it all at once, but it will be out tomorrow and free on PSN+ for EU users. JPN in a few weeks or so.

+ MrSazperilla on January 7th, 2014 at 1:24 pm said:

Thank you for the fast reply! I will wait patently!

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:27 pm said:

No prob :)

+ Helmsdeep29 on January 7th, 2014 at 1:27 pm said:

It keeps trying to charge me 14.99 for this when I have PS> Plus until 2016 WTF???????????????

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:28 pm said:

+ PolarLew on January 7th, 2014 at 1:27 pm said:

Thanks for the quick response, how about the Store update is that done tomorrow also?

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:28 pm said:

I’m not entirely sure if it’s the same, but they told me today that their NA PSN Updates are “targeted” for 2PM. I can only assume it’s similar for EU.

+ smoothboarder540 on January 7th, 2014 at 1:28 pm said:

Thanks Corey for all of the helpful and candid replies, especially the ones relating to happenings at Klei. We don’t get those those very often from devs on the blog. I will certainly be checking out this game.

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:31 pm said:

No problem! And thanks for checking out our games. We’re pretty easy to chat to on Twitter (@klei) and FB etc. Feel free to drop us a line whenever, I try my very best to answer every single question we get.

+ PolarLew on January 7th, 2014 at 1:30 pm said:

Thanks Corey. Most helpful!

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:37 pm said:

You’re welcome :)

+ moeid_nasir1997 on January 7th, 2014 at 1:30 pm said:

finally, i was able to download the game for free. Thanks for the quick response..looking forward to play it! :)

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:35 pm said:

Yay! Enjoy. Happy not Starve’n :)

+ ariaandkia on January 7th, 2014 at 1:31 pm said:

Out of curiosity, will we be able to sync our PC saves to the PS4?

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:35 pm said:

That would be some crazy voodoo, and very neat. But alas, since the builds are different, we can’t do that at this time.

+ skullman43 on January 7th, 2014 at 1:33 pm said:

if anyone wants to add me my gamertag is skullman 43

+ afigueroa on January 7th, 2014 at 1:36 pm said:

Finally updated free for PS plus. Remote downloading now! Hopefully it will be done when I get home from work.

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:54 pm said:

Nice! Enjoy :)

+ Waikato_Pete on January 7th, 2014 at 1:37 pm said:

I know you have probably answered this question a thousand times already… So sorry for that.
BUT do you have any information regarding what time (and time zone!) Don’t Starve will be available on the EU Store?
For some reason New Zealand is under the EU Store and it’s already midday on the 8th here and still nothing…
Thanks

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:55 pm said:

I’m not entirely sure, they just told me EU launch was January 08. I wish I had more info, if I hear something I’ll try and update!

+ lanix2 on January 7th, 2014 at 1:40 pm said:

is it not possible to play on a different account other than the ps plus one on the same ps4?????

+ MrSazperilla on January 7th, 2014 at 1:44 pm said:

Still wont work on PS4. However I got it through the broswer version! Hope everyone has fun playing!

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:55 pm said:

Glad it got sorted for you! Enjoy!

+ AizawaYuuichi on January 7th, 2014 at 1:46 pm said:

@ lanix2: If you’ve got your main PS+ account on the PS4 and you download PS+ content, any account you have on that PS4 “should” be able to access the content. I haven’t personally tried using my alt account to play any free content yet so I can’t confirm this, but that’s how it worked on PS3.

Also, thanks @Klei and Corey for making this game and getting it to us on the PS4. And for free! Looking forward to playing when I get home from work much later tonight. :)

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:59 pm said:

You’re welcome! Enjoy :)

+ ariaandkia on January 7th, 2014 at 1:47 pm said:

@Corey Rollins: That is a pity. I had most of the characters unlocked on the PC version (as of the time I last played, I had all of them unlocked but I know at least one was added after)

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 2:02 pm said:

That would be a cool feature for sure, I know if it was easy to do in a clean way we’d probably look at it. But I can already hear the developers laughing at me for asking them to do that hahahahha

+ SDkngsht on January 7th, 2014 at 1:50 pm said:

excited to check this out when i get home

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 2:05 pm said:

Thanks for checking it out! Enjoy :)

+ niteight on January 7th, 2014 at 1:53 pm said:

Thanks for replying Corey. It’s a welcome change to the norm on this site. Downloading now. Thanks again!

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 1:58 pm said:

No problem! Happy to be here answering, I know that when I’m eager to play games from other companies that I don’t work at, I want answers fast too :P Enjoy the game!

+ PolarLew on January 7th, 2014 at 2:37 pm said:

Any update on store update :)

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 2:42 pm said:

If you’re in North America, it should be all good. Haven’t heard any issues for the past 20 or so. Try logging out and signing back in.

+ Xaegoth on January 7th, 2014 at 2:38 pm said:

Is there any chance in the world that you guys (devs) can change it so you can use the DPad to navigate menus? It feels SO awkward navigating them with the analog stick. GREAT game though!

+ Corey Rollins on January 7th, 2014 at 2:45 pm said:

Just to clarify, Which menus? Like Main Menu?