Star Wars Battlefront

Jan 13

Retro Rush: Double Dragon PSone Import Out Tomorrow

Ryan Olsen's Avatar Posted by Ryan Olsen on Jan 13, 2014 // PR Manager, MoneyPaw Games

While most of the United States has been climbing out of a deep freeze, MonkeyPaw Games has been working at fever pitch to bring together something that celebrates cool, funky, awesome and frequently requested retro games on PlayStation Store.

We wanted to do something big for the New Year, so starting tomorrow the MonkeyPaw Games Retro Rush will be on! What’s the Retro Rush? Each week, for six weeks, we’ll be releasing a new import PSone Classic on PlayStation Store for PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita and PSP. We are going to highlight games from all kinds of genres, and it will all lead up to a game that PSone Classic fans have been anticipating for a long time. What does the schedule look like? Look no further!

• January 14th – Double Dragon
  • January 21st – Lucifer Ring
  • January 28th – The Firemen 2: Pete and Danny
  • February 4th – Hyper Crazy Climber
  • February 11th – Wolf Fang
  • February 18th – Tomba! 2: The Evil Swine Return
Retro Rush Week 1: Double Dragon

Kicking off the Retro Rush is Double Dragon. You might remember Billy and Jimmy from their side-scrolling days but we are importing the fighting game that is based on the Double Dragon movie from the 90’s. You might not have heard about this game because it was never released outside of Japan even though the movie was made in Hollywood.

The roster gets filled out with beautifully animated sprite-based characters like Abobo, Marian and a host of other characters to keep the punches flying. With 12 characters in total, special charge moves and transformations, there is a lot of game to discover and master.

This is only the beginning of the Retro Rush from MonkeyPaw Games. We’ll have more information about the second title, Lucifer Ring, next week. In the meantime, drop us a line on Twitter and let us know about some of your favorite classic gaming memories.

PAGE 1 2

+ Splodem on January 13th, 2014 at 5:07 pm said:

I appreciate that we’re getting some PSOne Classics, but I wish we’d get some good ones in english sometime soon. The wait one some of these games has been tough. SOOOO many games I’ve been dying to play. Einhander, Suikoden 2, Jade Cocoon, Saga Frontier 1 and 2, Megaman Legends. Any of those would be instant purchases.

+ SpaceOddity87 on January 13th, 2014 at 5:43 pm said:

None of these were games on PS1 that I would have asked for, but they all look interesting. I had no idea that there was a sequel to The Firemen (SNES).

Some that I’d really like to see in the library are:

Azure Dreams
Clock Tower
Fear Effect
Heart of Darkness
Mega Man Legends 1 & 2
Ninja Shadow of Darkness
Strider 2

Some of these are already available in Europe or Japan, and most of them have already been localized, so hopefully the licenses can be worked out. It is disappointing, though, to hear that some of your games have been removed in the past, so please try to keep that from happening again.

+ Gamerzlimited on January 13th, 2014 at 5:44 pm said:

Since they’re PSone Imports, will they all be in Japanese? I know my question sounds stupid, but Tomba 2 was released in English and I want to know if it’s that version so I can understand it.

Ryan Olsen's Avatar

+ Ryan Olsen on January 13th, 2014 at 6:38 pm said:

Tomba! 2 is the Japanese import. We will have information on the website when the game gets closer to release that should help you along menus and such.

+ gold_og_roger on January 13th, 2014 at 6:02 pm said:

Nice. There is such a rich selection of PS1 imports that never made it here. I really am happy that Sony is doing this, I just love having access to these retro games on the Vita and PS3. How about Suikoden 2 , Lunar 2, Jade Cocoon, and Thousand Arms for the next release of PS1 classics?

+ PrinceofXIII on January 13th, 2014 at 6:03 pm said:

yes Tomba 2!!!!!!

+ Destiny19926 on January 13th, 2014 at 6:40 pm said:

Mega Man Anniversary Collection PS2
Mega Man X Collection PS2
Mega Man Legends 1&2 PS1
Bushido Blade 1&2 PS1
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne PS1

+ DunceSpirit on January 13th, 2014 at 6:42 pm said:

Any chance that we can get ape escape over the the us? Even as an import would be fine just tired of jpn flaunting that game over our heads.

+ ExpressImpress on January 13th, 2014 at 6:59 pm said:

As another paying customer who had purchased psOne imports, only to have a few of them removed from my download list after the parent company’s license snafu, is there any sort of guarantee you can offer that these games won’t suffer the same fate?

I understand games being removed from the marketplace when a license expires, but preventing future downloads is a little rough.

+ MaxSterling85 on January 13th, 2014 at 7:27 pm said:

I’d like to see a few other PSOne games like Einhander, Suikoden II, Suikogaiden Series, Shin Megami Tensei if, Snatcher, Dragon Quest IV, Super Robot Taisen Alpha Gaiden, Policenauts, Langrisser IV & V – Final Edition, Thunder Force V, Choro Q series, Dragon Quest Monsters 1&2, Tekken 3, Dragon Warrior VII, Growlanser I and more

+ smoothboarder540 on January 13th, 2014 at 7:27 pm said:

Thanks, but no thanks. I would rather be able to play my favorite American games on Vita first. Many of which are not playable even though they are available in other regions.

+ DRock15707 on January 13th, 2014 at 8:09 pm said:

You can play mgs 1 on the vita.

+ DRock15707 on January 13th, 2014 at 8:10 pm said:

And for ps2 atv offroad fury would be nice, any of them.

+ DarkXSacrificeX on January 13th, 2014 at 8:49 pm said:

for me ps1 game road rash any one of the road rash games that would kick ass i use to play that game non stop

+ binxthepotter on January 13th, 2014 at 8:54 pm said:

OK please add these games to psn so we can play and you make a load of money. win/win. BRAVE FENCER MUSASHI , EHRGEIZ , GAUNTLET LEGENDS , LEGENDS OF LEGAIA ,LUNAR 1 & 2 , TALES OF DESTINY , TALES OF ETERNIA , MEGA MAN 8 ANNIVERSARY EDITION , MEGA MAN X 4 5 & 6, MEGA MAN LEGENDS , VALKYRIE PROFILE. I think if you put those on psn , you’d make millions.and I know it,s been said but SUIKODEN 2 AS WELL. P.S. thanks for the new imports .

+ barry_matharoo on January 13th, 2014 at 11:54 pm said:

Are you kidding me! After teasing us with english version in europe and after such a long time we are getting the japanese version of tomba 2. I want to support this and I am sure you had your reasons but this is not cool.

+ pandakids09 on January 14th, 2014 at 1:26 am said:

Please bring Mega Man X 3 for psOne i would pay top dollar for that game!!!!

+ Goniloc on January 14th, 2014 at 3:41 am said:

This is awesome, thank you so much! I would love to see a PS2 one. There’s only a couple of titles that come to mind, but any PS2 games would be fantastic.

Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie’s Revenge (Or something like that)

And any Silent Hill game

As for PSOne, Pajama Sam, Civilization, Simcity

+ Daverost on January 14th, 2014 at 4:05 am said:

If you guys are able to bring over anything from anyone, I would love to have some shoot-’em-ups. Einhander, DonPachi, and DoDonPachi are all on JP PSN already.

+ Daverost on January 14th, 2014 at 4:06 am said:

Whoops, forgot another import request: Little Princess (the sequel to Rhapsody, also on PSN). Any chance that could happen?

+ anoyero on January 14th, 2014 at 5:08 am said:

+ DARKMAN_X845 on January 14th, 2014 at 5:40 am said:

Hey guys cant wait for double dragon.

One Question would it be possible to get the gundam battle master games to the Ps1 classics

+ Todoh789 on January 14th, 2014 at 6:00 am said:

I used to play this at the arcades as a kid, was pretty fun, will get it for nostalgia but hope the loading times aren’t horrendous.
Mostly used Dulton since I could mash a button and actually something worked! ORA ORA ORYA!

+ XxShadexX on January 14th, 2014 at 9:17 am said:

It would be awesome to see games like Battle Arena Toshinden or Road Rash 3 0:)

+ CJ-Kenji on January 14th, 2014 at 10:14 am said:

Mr.Olsen can you please look into Medievil 2 and the Megaman Series for PSone or PS2 classics that be much appreciated

+ death_nation100 on January 14th, 2014 at 10:27 am said:

Uh Seriously no ps2 games?Brilliant! They only have less then 100 titles at Playstation Store while The PS one have over 561 games . AS far as i know The Playstation 2 sold more then the playstation. So way to go sony for Ignoring the ps2 once again!

+ STIFLER83 on January 14th, 2014 at 11:31 am said:

Pretty please I wanna see scarface. I prefer on ps4 but I won’t be picky ill accept ps3

+ Vincent-Kudo on January 14th, 2014 at 3:40 pm said:

First off, thank you for being awesome and bringing these games stateside for us to enjoy. Thanks for also getting them to work both at home (PS3) and on the go (PSP/VITA), that is super awesome :) .

If I could put in my request I’d ask for first and foremost a Macross game if possible. Back in 1999 I think, we had ads and a demo for Macross VF-X2 in our Playstation magazines (PSM/OPM) and I remember being super hyped for the game’s release, to sadly find out it got canceled shortly there after. I still play that demo disc from time to time, but would love to be able to play the full game without having to import it.

So that’s my request for the future the Macross VF-X games on PS1.

+ Vincent-Kudo on January 14th, 2014 at 3:43 pm said:

If I could ask for another set of games it would be Snatcher and Policenauts. They’re the other two Hideo Kojima games that I know English speaking fans would love to play (Policenauts never being released in the US and Snatcher only getting a Sega CD release here). I don’t know if you guys could work some magic with Konami/Kojima Productions and maybe get those released that would be cool too.

And I have to say it to show my support with other fans, the Mega Man Legends Trio of games ( Legends 1 and 2 and Misadventures of Tronn Bonne) but I know that’s a whole Capcom situation.

Ok, I’ve rambled on enough, thanks again guys :)

+ IIL0YDII on January 14th, 2014 at 5:52 pm said:

Try to bring Crash Bandicoot,Spyro,MGS titles to PS Vita, because SCEA obviously can’t do it.

+ SonsOfMonroe on January 14th, 2014 at 7:22 pm said:

All I want is the (ARCADE) versions of Double Dragon 1 2 & 3. No remixed music. HD upscaled online support & a platinum trophy. PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 pleeeeeaaassseee!!!!! Thank ya kindly.

+ Sub-Zero_BR on January 14th, 2014 at 7:49 pm said:

Oh wow !!! You guys should TOTALLY (if possible, yes please!!) bring Panzer Bandit by Fill-in-Cafe AND Gunner’s Heaven (aka Rapid Reload on Europe) by Media.Vision. If you can get them to PSN Imports section, I’ll buy them 0,00001 seconds after they hit the PSN Store.

Those are AWESOME import games that most people probably didn’t hear about, or maybe they did, it’s a wild guess. I was a fan of Playstation 1 by then and played well over 1000 games. Panzer Bandit is a splendid side-scrolling beat ’em up, and Gunner’s Heaven is often compared to Gunstar Heroes by Treasure, for Sega Genesis.

Also, if you guys would like one more suggestion, but it’s not an import, bring Top Shop (aka in Japan as Tenant Wars) by KID, it’s a VERY FUN board game which borrows many references from Monopoly, with a similar system, where you have to manage stores in big mall and rely on lucky dice rolls. Had countless hours of fun with friends playing those three, unforgettable, games.

+ Pie4prez on January 15th, 2014 at 6:54 pm said:

It’s a real shame that Tomba! 2 won’t be the English version. I probably won’t buy it, just on principle. Europe got the English version, so why don’t we?

+ tyrantred2005 on January 16th, 2014 at 8:25 am said:

I would love to see Fear effect games on Ps store!

+ kidson2004 on January 16th, 2014 at 10:56 am said:

Would LOVE to see a Onimusha HD Collection!! One can dream right? ^_^

+ kidson2004 on January 16th, 2014 at 11:04 am said:

Also, would love to see:

Grandia 3
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
Megaman X4, X5, and X6
X-Men Vs. Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter

There’s more, but these would be great to have!!

+ YoungChieftain on January 16th, 2014 at 1:46 pm said:

Any chance we’ll see Silhouette Mirage from PS1 on the PSN?

+ uprisingwolf on January 16th, 2014 at 2:15 pm said:

DOUBLE DRAGON ! you guys are the best….! If you make and samurai shodown 4 special as ps1 classic the fighting community will be worship you ! keep the good work

+ KrOzZ- on January 17th, 2014 at 6:40 am said:

How about Zero Divide 2.? I still own the original but the sequel never made it to the states.

+ WesReviews44 on January 17th, 2014 at 12:45 pm said:

PS4 soon? Would love to play retro stuff on PS4.

A few suggestions…

Destruction Derby (1 & 2)
Clock Tower
Twisted Metal (1-4)
Soviet Strike
Nuclear Strike

+ SonicRift on January 18th, 2014 at 9:19 pm said:

Suggestions for more games? Data East’s Windjammers comes to mind. I’m desperate to get my hands on that. I confess I haven’t bought Alundra yet, but I’d love to see the sequel. Who the heck owns the rights to the Lunar games these days? Silver Star Story and Eternal Blue are 2 of my fav games.

+ mike02x2 on January 20th, 2014 at 6:20 am said:

Add the classic Tony Hawk 1 and 2 to the Store and it would be great to have it for PS Plus free xD

@MaxSterling85 +1 to all those games, but would be really nice to add to PS Plus List, I don’t know if it has happened before or not ,but so far I only see PS3/PS4 games in the IGC, would be nice to add some good classics into the list!

+ legomeister123 on January 21st, 2014 at 9:28 am said:

Will the Crash Bandicoot series as well as the Spyro one be released to America in the near future??

+ vinsanity0804 on January 25th, 2014 at 4:55 pm said:

I read that wrong… I thought it said Tobal 2. Welp I just disappointed myself.

+ Zeelot on January 26th, 2014 at 8:41 am said:

Gotta love the classics

+ Gorvi on January 13th, 2014 at 9:16 am said:

Wow, Tomba 2? You guys rock!

Ryan Olsen's Avatar

+ Ryan Olsen on January 13th, 2014 at 4:25 pm said:

Thanks! We think you rock too :)

+ NX_Nytrux on January 13th, 2014 at 9:19 am said:

Great!!!! What about PS2 Classics?

Ryan Olsen's Avatar

+ Ryan Olsen on January 13th, 2014 at 5:06 pm said:

The Retro Rush covers PSone classics. Any PS2 titles that we should be looking at? We love to hear suggestions!

+ BramStark on January 13th, 2014 at 9:20 am said:

I want Metal Gear Solid 1 to my Vita :(

+ Razlo on January 13th, 2014 at 9:27 am said:

Great slate of games! I loved the first Firemen and Tomba 2 is a classic. Really looking forward to checking out the others. Thanks for your wonderful effort!

Ryan Olsen's Avatar

+ Ryan Olsen on January 13th, 2014 at 4:25 pm said:

Be sure to let us know what other games you try!

+ kdnpdbyninjas on January 13th, 2014 at 9:29 am said:

I got excited until I saw that this is Monkey Paw releasing these imports. Over a year ago, 25% of their imports were removed from not just the Playstation Store but also from my personal Download section (!)…permanently; due to losing a license with Irem/Data East. Burned me out of around $30. I hope this time the licenses are secure and that something like that never happens again.

PAGE 1 2