The Last Guardian

Jan 13

Jan 13

Retro Rush: Double Dragon PSone Import Out Tomorrow

Ryan Olsen's Avatar Posted by PR Manager, MoneyPaw Games

While most of the United States has been climbing out of a deep freeze, MonkeyPaw Games has been working at fever pitch to bring together something that celebrates cool, funky, awesome and frequently requested retro games on PlayStation Store.

We wanted to do something big for the New Year, so starting tomorrow the MonkeyPaw Games Retro Rush will be on! What’s the Retro Rush? Each week, for six weeks, we’ll be releasing a new import PSone Classic on PlayStation Store for PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita and PSP. We are going to highlight games from all kinds of genres, and it will all lead up to a game that PSone Classic fans have been anticipating for a long time. What does the schedule look like? Look no further!

• January 14th – Double Dragon
  • January 21st – Lucifer Ring
  • January 28th – The Firemen 2: Pete and Danny
  • February 4th – Hyper Crazy Climber
  • February 11th – Wolf Fang
  • February 18th – Tomba! 2: The Evil Swine Return
Retro Rush Week 1: Double Dragon

Kicking off the Retro Rush is Double Dragon. You might remember Billy and Jimmy from their side-scrolling days but we are importing the fighting game that is based on the Double Dragon movie from the 90’s. You might not have heard about this game because it was never released outside of Japan even though the movie was made in Hollywood.

The roster gets filled out with beautifully animated sprite-based characters like Abobo, Marian and a host of other characters to keep the punches flying. With 12 characters in total, special charge moves and transformations, there is a lot of game to discover and master.

This is only the beginning of the Retro Rush from MonkeyPaw Games. We’ll have more information about the second title, Lucifer Ring, next week. In the meantime, drop us a line on Twitter and let us know about some of your favorite classic gaming memories.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

Gorvi said:

January 13th, 9:16 am

Wow, Tomba 2? You guys rock!

Ryan Olsen's Avatar

Ryan Olsen said:

January 13th, 4:25 pm

Thanks! We think you rock too :)

NX_Nytrux said:

January 13th, 9:19 am

Great!!!! What about PS2 Classics?

Ryan Olsen's Avatar

Ryan Olsen said:

January 13th, 5:06 pm

The Retro Rush covers PSone classics. Any PS2 titles that we should be looking at? We love to hear suggestions!

BramStark said:

January 13th, 9:20 am

I want Metal Gear Solid 1 to my Vita :(

Razlo said:

January 13th, 9:27 am

Great slate of games! I loved the first Firemen and Tomba 2 is a classic. Really looking forward to checking out the others. Thanks for your wonderful effort!

Ryan Olsen's Avatar

Ryan Olsen said:

January 13th, 4:25 pm

Be sure to let us know what other games you try!

kdnpdbyninjas said:

January 13th, 9:29 am

I got excited until I saw that this is Monkey Paw releasing these imports. Over a year ago, 25% of their imports were removed from not just the Playstation Store but also from my personal Download section (!)…permanently; due to losing a license with Irem/Data East. Burned me out of around $30. I hope this time the licenses are secure and that something like that never happens again.

BlaqMagiq24 said:

January 13th, 9:34 am

OMG Tomba 2!!! I played a lot of the demo version back in the day but always wanted to play the actual game! Now’s my chance!

@kdnpdbyninjas

Wait they literally pulled those games from your download list? Not trying to sound like a jerk or anything but how did they do that? I bought NFS Most Wanted as a PS2 classic before it got pulled for licensing issues and it’s still in my download list. If that’s the case you should of reported it to Sony and see if they could’ve resolved that issue or refunded you.

CapJSheridan said:

January 13th, 9:36 am

Thanks a lot for Tomba 2, finally *_*

Ryan Olsen's Avatar

Ryan Olsen said:

January 13th, 4:26 pm

I know, right? It’s been a long time coming but it’s finally going to be here! Woo!

detictiveconan said:

January 13th, 9:40 am

Tomba 2 ! I never though I’d get to play that again! Thank you.

kdnpdbyninjas said:

January 13th, 9:41 am

@BlaqMagiq24

Yeah it was the first and only time I’ve ever seen games completely removed from my download list. I’ve downloaded plenty of games before they were removed (most recently MvsC2); to keep them in my d/l list. I did report the issue to MP who told me to reach Sony and then I reported to Sony who only sent me a couple of generic customer service responses. It happened in late 2011 I think.

Teflon02 said:

January 13th, 9:42 am

Guess this is good. None are of my interest, only double dragon I like is Double Dragon and Battle Toads. Game was amazing. Either way, good they are actually going to be on Vita, for that I my buy one just for support sake. But Sony… I’m still waiting for Crash, Sony really doesn’t realize how much it annoys people, especially me not to be able to play it on Vita but everywhere else in the world gets to. One of my biggest +’s for Vita was the fact that I can use analog controls in stuff like CTR: Crash Team Racing and Spyro. Sadly, neither are playable -.-‘

Zookey said:

January 13th, 9:49 am

Hey MP Games! Thanks for bringing so many Japanese games over!

Please OH PLEASE bring these two:

Jumping Flash 3 (Robbit Mon Dieu)

Tobal No. 2

:-)

DuoMaxwell007 said:

January 13th, 9:51 am

isnt that double dragon game the same game that was on Neo Geo arcade machines? because I definitely remember playing a double dragon arcade neo geo game that was based on the movie…. if that sthe same game Im definitely on it

Ryan Olsen's Avatar

Ryan Olsen said:

January 13th, 4:28 pm

Yes! You’re right. So this is a video game, based on a movie, based on a video game. The 90’s were a strange, wonderful time.

LloydDroid12 said:

January 13th, 9:54 am

Darn, none of these are what I wanted….

paladingerbil said:

January 13th, 9:57 am

Lucifer Ring is a fantastic game, like a much-improved Golden Axe…looking forward to playing it again!

Crazysoulman said:

January 13th, 10:07 am

Hey Ryan? What is the price and will it have trophies just asking ok thanks

Ryan Olsen's Avatar

Ryan Olsen said:

January 13th, 4:29 pm

Tomba! 2 will be $9.99 and all the other games will be $5.99. No trophies on the classic games.

boxmyth said:

January 13th, 10:07 am

I was sure PSOne Imports had been forgotten. Long live the imports!

mames said:

January 13th, 10:13 am

Awesome! This is way better than mahjongg games and text adventures that no one can play.

Have you guys looked into releasing Adventures of Little Ralph? It’s a beautiful, fast-paced and tough side scrolling action platformer with pixel graphics. The menus are in english and the gameplay is self-explanatory. It’s a somewhat unknown import gem waiting to be discovered.

Ryan Olsen's Avatar

Ryan Olsen said:

January 13th, 4:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! We love suggestions and what fuels what games we look at next.

Linkdelima said:

January 13th, 10:17 am

Great games, but i would love to play Money Puzzle Exchange in my vita, please add it soon so i can buy it

Dante069 said:

January 13th, 10:17 am

@DuoMaxwell007 From the looks of the screenshot, that is indeed the same Double Dragon game that was released on the Neo Geo arcade machine here in the US.

TrueRadiantFree said:

January 13th, 10:39 am

Sony, can we please get the Crash Bandicoot series available in PSone classics in America, on the Vita?
Also, hopefully you can work with Capcom to get MegaMan Legends 1 and 2 on the store too.

Welmosca said:

January 13th, 10:49 am

Tomba 2?…no way,I still have the PS1 disc…damn I have some fond memories of playing that game with friends.Good job guys.And thanks for doing that…we really need more classics added to the Store.

RoII_chan said:

January 13th, 10:57 am

TOMBA 2 OMGGGGGGGGG!!!!! =)

TubaDude49 said:

January 13th, 11:16 am

Might I suggest localizing Ape Escape: Million Monkeys?

tusunami said:

January 13th, 11:19 am

Say what I have been waiting for this, I going to get this for sure. Now all we need is metal sluggs anthology & I’m set!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CapJSheridan said:

January 13th, 11:21 am

@tusunami

I believe you can get Metal Slug Anthology for PSP on PSN, I bought it a while ago

FearMonkey said:

January 13th, 11:37 am

OMG TOMBA! 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O

FreelanceSam said:

January 13th, 11:50 am

Not too excited. I’m still a little miffed, that they pulled Yakiniku Bugyou from the store AND from my download list, so if my PSP ever dies on me, I can never download it ever again. Also, I couldn’t transfer it to my Vita, which was another bummer.

MatheusRuggeri said:

January 13th, 11:52 am

And Crash for PS Vita?

XeahuleXolic said:

January 13th, 11:55 am

Woo Tomba 2!!

JetSetFuture said:

January 13th, 11:56 am

Tomba! 2 on PSN – I can now die a happy man!

Question for Ryan concerning Tomba! 2: Has the “music bug” been fixed? When the disc version (North American) is played on the PS3, the music does not loop properly and becomes distorted. Apparently this is a backward compatibility issue with the game. I’m hoping it has been addressed for the digital release, because it’s extremely annoying. Looking forward to Feb 18!

Ryan Olsen's Avatar

Ryan Olsen said:

January 13th, 4:41 pm

This is the Japanese import version of Tomba! 2 so I haven’t heard of that problem cropping up on this version. Reach out on Twitter and you can let me know more about the issue so I can make sure I double check the right thing.

IzoGray said:

January 13th, 12:16 pm

Where the hell are the Mega Man X games??????
People have been asking for those since the dawn of PSN

onslaughtree said:

January 13th, 1:15 pm

Can I download and play these games on my PS4 ?

Ryan Olsen's Avatar

Ryan Olsen said:

January 13th, 4:42 pm

These titles have been in the works for a long time so they will only be available on PS3, PSP and Vita

SDkngsht said:

January 13th, 2:25 pm

and for PS4?

gilgamesh21 said:

January 13th, 2:27 pm

I just wanted to say thanks for bringing over Double Dragon.

belmont_gr said:

January 13th, 3:01 pm

Do you have plans to publish some of the above titles on Europe? I got Tomba 2 when you released it way back but I don’t remember if it was pulled back afterwards.

ngreatshark said:

January 13th, 3:29 pm

Wasn’t that game released in arcades and on Neo Geo in North America?

ricegiilha said:

January 13th, 3:32 pm

Hey Sony guys, what about Kururin Pa! and Shingata Kururin Pa!? 2 awesomes puzzle games only avaliable on the Japan PSN store!!!!

inuyasha_523 said:

January 13th, 4:50 pm

its good to see that before the good people of double dragon release the online coop for double dragon neon they are able to release another full game way to go

Splodem said:

January 13th, 5:07 pm

I appreciate that we’re getting some PSOne Classics, but I wish we’d get some good ones in english sometime soon. The wait one some of these games has been tough. SOOOO many games I’ve been dying to play. Einhander, Suikoden 2, Jade Cocoon, Saga Frontier 1 and 2, Megaman Legends. Any of those would be instant purchases.

SpaceOddity87 said:

January 13th, 5:43 pm

None of these were games on PS1 that I would have asked for, but they all look interesting. I had no idea that there was a sequel to The Firemen (SNES).

Some that I’d really like to see in the library are:

Azure Dreams
Clock Tower
D
Fear Effect
Heart of Darkness
Mega Man Legends 1 & 2
Ninja Shadow of Darkness
Overblood
Policenauts
Snatcher
Strider 2

Some of these are already available in Europe or Japan, and most of them have already been localized, so hopefully the licenses can be worked out. It is disappointing, though, to hear that some of your games have been removed in the past, so please try to keep that from happening again.

Gamerzlimited said:

January 13th, 5:44 pm

Since they’re PSone Imports, will they all be in Japanese? I know my question sounds stupid, but Tomba 2 was released in English and I want to know if it’s that version so I can understand it.

Ryan Olsen's Avatar

Ryan Olsen said:

January 13th, 6:38 pm

Tomba! 2 is the Japanese import. We will have information on the website when the game gets closer to release that should help you along menus and such.

gold_og_roger said:

January 13th, 6:02 pm

Nice. There is such a rich selection of PS1 imports that never made it here. I really am happy that Sony is doing this, I just love having access to these retro games on the Vita and PS3. How about Suikoden 2 , Lunar 2, Jade Cocoon, and Thousand Arms for the next release of PS1 classics?

PrinceofXIII said:

January 13th, 6:03 pm

yes Tomba 2!!!!!!

Destiny19926 said:

January 13th, 6:40 pm

Mega Man Anniversary Collection PS2
Mega Man X Collection PS2
Mega Man Legends 1&2 PS1
Bushido Blade 1&2 PS1
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne PS1

DunceSpirit said:

January 13th, 6:42 pm

Any chance that we can get ape escape over the the us? Even as an import would be fine just tired of jpn flaunting that game over our heads.

ExpressImpress said:

January 13th, 6:59 pm

As another paying customer who had purchased psOne imports, only to have a few of them removed from my download list after the parent company’s license snafu, is there any sort of guarantee you can offer that these games won’t suffer the same fate?

I understand games being removed from the marketplace when a license expires, but preventing future downloads is a little rough.

MaxSterling85 said:

January 13th, 7:27 pm

I’d like to see a few other PSOne games like Einhander, Suikoden II, Suikogaiden Series, Shin Megami Tensei if, Snatcher, Dragon Quest IV, Super Robot Taisen Alpha Gaiden, Policenauts, Langrisser IV & V – Final Edition, Thunder Force V, Choro Q series, Dragon Quest Monsters 1&2, Tekken 3, Dragon Warrior VII, Growlanser I and more

smoothboarder540 said:

January 13th, 7:27 pm

Thanks, but no thanks. I would rather be able to play my favorite American games on Vita first. Many of which are not playable even though they are available in other regions.

DRock15707 said:

January 13th, 8:09 pm

BramStark

You can play mgs 1 on the vita.

DRock15707 said:

January 13th, 8:10 pm

And for ps2 atv offroad fury would be nice, any of them.

PAGE 1 2