PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

HBO GO for PS3 Coming Soon, PS4 to Follow

Phil Rosenberg's Avatar + Posted by Phil Rosenberg on Jan 16, 2014 // Senior Vice President, Business Development, SCEA

Earlier this evening at the inaugural Buzzfeed Brews event in New York City, HBO CEO Richard Plepler announced that HBO and PlayStation have partnered to offer the popular HBO GO app − first on PlayStation 3, with PlayStation 4 to follow.

HBO GO app on PS3

With the HBO GO app on your PlayStation system and an HBO subscription via your cable or satellite provider, you’ll have unlimited, on-demand access to your favorite HBO shows, like Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and True Detective. HBO GO offers every episode of every season of the network’s best shows. You can also enjoy hit movies, sports, documentaries, and comedy specials, as well as special behind-the-scenes extras.

As a huge Game of Thrones fan, I can’t wait to watch the show using my PS3. Speaking of which, click here to watch the season 4 trailer that premiered earlier this week, in case you missed it.

Keep checking back here for more updates on when the HBO GO app will be available to download on PS3 and PS4.

PAGE 1 2

+ AMiL3GENDx on January 16th, 2014 at 5:20 pm said:

Any plans for a Vita app too?

+ gerneric123 on January 16th, 2014 at 5:21 pm said:

I suppose HBO is a no go for Vita. Not much of a surprise given the barren app availability on the platform.

+ RyuZX on January 16th, 2014 at 5:21 pm said:

Too bad you have to have a cable subscription… that’s a cord I prefer to keep severed.

+ puresilence on January 16th, 2014 at 5:23 pm said:

Does this work with Comcast?

+ MarkakaJin on January 16th, 2014 at 5:23 pm said:

By the nine! This is very good news! I was thinking of getting HBO just for Game of Thrones. Spring is coming!

Phil Rosenberg's Avatar

+ Phil Rosenberg on January 17th, 2014 at 4:53 pm said:

We agree!

+ RE_Player on January 16th, 2014 at 5:23 pm said:

Please be available for Canada.

Phil Rosenberg's Avatar

+ Phil Rosenberg on January 17th, 2014 at 4:53 pm said:

America only for now. Based upon HBO’s rights.

+ Battlehead on January 16th, 2014 at 5:24 pm said:

AMAZING!

+ shadyblaz3 on January 16th, 2014 at 5:26 pm said:

approx. date? soon is too vague! ive been waiting for this forever!

+ Sharingan_itachi on January 16th, 2014 at 5:34 pm said:

What about Vita?

+ LegacyProject on January 16th, 2014 at 5:37 pm said:

Me thinks this is HBO getting its foot in the door to eventually sever their relationship with cable and go the WWE Network route.

+ Hologram00 on January 16th, 2014 at 5:41 pm said:

this coming to canada aswell? plus it should come to vita!!

+ plaztiksyke on January 16th, 2014 at 5:41 pm said:

Still not interested unless its untethered.

That being said, will the HBO Go streams be higher quality on PlayStation platforms like Netflix was? PlayStation got the SuperHD high-bitrate video, and the surround sound, before other platforms if I recall correctly. Technical specifications on codecs and maximum bitrates would be good.

At the moment, I still prefer to own my favorite TV shows on bluray, namely for the DTS-HD audio. Deadwood’s score is AMAZING on bluray. Are there HD transfers/encodes of HBO shows on HBO GO that currently aren’t on bluray? I’ve been waiting forever for The Wire, Six Feet Under, Carnivale, and Big Love to come out on bluray..

+ gekko1986 on January 16th, 2014 at 5:45 pm said:

Finally!
Any details on video quality or the support for surround sound?

+ DeathGazer on January 16th, 2014 at 5:51 pm said:

I’ve been waiting for this when for so damn long. Back when True Blood was still a decent show…seems like forever ago.

+ etscott on January 16th, 2014 at 5:56 pm said:

Great news. I bought a roku box last year just for HBO go, and I’d much rather have this app on my ps3/ps4. Hope this comes very soon.

+ o0_FLoWiDa_0o on January 16th, 2014 at 5:57 pm said:

Will the video quality for HBO GO be in HD?

+ RedBird06 on January 16th, 2014 at 6:05 pm said:

Pretty cool. Very cool actually.

+ Biggz124 on January 16th, 2014 at 6:09 pm said:

3 1/2 questions?

Will it be coming to Canada? In the form of HBO Go or the TMN bundle app?

2. Video quality choices?

3. 5.1? 7.1 audio?

+ sparepart on January 16th, 2014 at 6:33 pm said:

Why is vita not apart of this? They do make a mobile app.

+ Seeby4 on January 16th, 2014 at 6:33 pm said:

This is going to be awesome. Now I won’t have to sit in the family room with the Apple TV to catch up on my shows all the time. I’ll be able to sit in my own room.

Phil Rosenberg's Avatar

+ Phil Rosenberg on January 17th, 2014 at 4:55 pm said:

Great news Seeby4!

+ magicfan345 on January 16th, 2014 at 6:38 pm said:

Hodor…. Hodor…. Hodor…. Hodor….

+ CmdrSinclair on January 16th, 2014 at 6:40 pm said:

Finally! Been waiting forever! Vita would be nice too.

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on January 16th, 2014 at 6:48 pm said:

@3, 10, & 12

Add me to the list of people who would subscribe to HBO GO if you didn’t also have to have a cable subscription. I have no interest in ever paying for cable TV again. I’m more than happy streaming my video entertainment through Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and YouTube on my PlayStation.

+ KidCommando on January 16th, 2014 at 7:04 pm said:

Why no Vita love? seems kinda lame when there is a mobile app on other devices.

For people who do have HBO, check out True Detective. The show just started last Sunday and it looks to be a pretty good crime drama / thriller with great acting. I’m very much looking forward to the next episode.

+ nampad on January 16th, 2014 at 7:18 pm said:

Hey HBO, please also support the Vita with an app. Thank you.

+ Crazysoulman on January 16th, 2014 at 7:21 pm said:

Yes to every ? You guys are asking.
The a it will work with any service provider u have!
If u have JOB u have it!
Also when are we getting Flixter? Any one know?
Need to know thanks!

+ Crazysoulman on January 16th, 2014 at 7:23 pm said:

Hbo I meant to say !

+ snakeeyes211 on January 16th, 2014 at 7:29 pm said:

Phil Rosenberg's Avatar

+ Phil Rosenberg on January 17th, 2014 at 4:57 pm said:

Oh no, thank YOU. Really. We want to bring you guys the best of the best and the services you want.

+ mastorofpuppetz on January 16th, 2014 at 7:48 pm said:

@3, HBO is well worth the small cost, their shows are on another level then pretty much every other network.

Let me guess Sony, no canada right?

+ RISE_UP44 on January 16th, 2014 at 7:51 pm said:

I am very happy about this.

+ Syrlis on January 16th, 2014 at 8:10 pm said:

Well that’s awesome (and about time). Sadly I will never get to use it. We switched from crappy Comcast to Verizon FiOS years ago when the first put in FiOS in our area. Then months later Frontier Communications bought up the northwest fios from Verizon. A couple weeks in frontier dropped HBOgo support. That was almost 4 years ago. Unless we switch back to crappy Comcast (now branded xfinity) I will NEVER get to use hbogo :’( only I thing I can do is hope for a better ISP to come into the neighborhood (Google maybe?) who knows how long that’ll be.

+ thezenguy on January 16th, 2014 at 8:28 pm said:

nice!!! i;ve been waiting for this. :D

+ BoNeSaW23 on January 16th, 2014 at 8:45 pm said:

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! About time!

Thank You Sony and HBO!

Now please tell us a release date and video quality for GO.

+ TakenTripod on January 16th, 2014 at 9:19 pm said:

I’ll +1, ditto, me too, what he said, you said it, to the Vita comments. Why is the Vita being left out? On that note, why can’t I play mobile games that Android and iOS get as well. Is Vita hard to develop for?

+ rabidninjamonky on January 16th, 2014 at 9:25 pm said:

Took long enough. I gave up on this ever happening, and bought a Roku last month. I love it by the way.

+ punkmusic2009 on January 16th, 2014 at 9:30 pm said:

when will Canada get the vid zone and sony rewards and playstion now

+ boomstickbhg on January 16th, 2014 at 9:31 pm said:

Will people be able to download what’s being offered, or is this just another streaming service.

I don’t buy streaming services, but if it allows downloads, I’d be interested.

+ kpac511 on January 16th, 2014 at 9:59 pm said:

Fantastic news! Please just make sure it supports the Blu-ray remote from launch :)

+ mbanimation on January 16th, 2014 at 10:42 pm said:

Bout time! Hopefully we have this in time for Game of Thrones.

+ Vextalon on January 16th, 2014 at 10:57 pm said:

Well this is great news, I currently have Comcast but I was worried about how to connect a cable box to my PS3 in order to watch shows. Any chance that we can just buy the subscription for HBO through the PSN store in order to use the app? I want to get rid of my cable soon.

Sony you keep this up will all the new apps I can just return my cable box and use my system instead. I’m using it for everything else, well except my Vita. My 320 gb PS3 is getting all its miles put it for Crackle, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Crunchyroll.

Anything in the works for maybe getting a Starz app?

Can’t wait to here more

+ Elvick_ on January 17th, 2014 at 12:16 am said:

Not surprised it’s skipping Vita. Vita is the ugly step child when it comes to apps. It gets scraps.

Is it too much to ask for the Netflix app to be updated to support profiles? It’s useless to me because my profile isn’t primary. So my list isn’t available. Plus the new UI is better.

+ Shinigami_Death_ on January 17th, 2014 at 1:29 am said:

this is great!!!! been wanting this for so long cant w8!!! <3<3

+ Superstone on January 17th, 2014 at 1:34 am said:

What about the Vita?

+ dkarlowicz10 on January 17th, 2014 at 3:14 am said:

An app that is for on the go that is not on the vita, huh?

+ LUCIFERSGLEAM on January 17th, 2014 at 3:33 am said:

This is a pretty big addition for the PlayStation family and I hope SHOWTIME is next so I can watch Shameless on my PS3. LOL @ the Vita though, I guess not worth the hassle since you know, we have these things called smart phones and tablets that are more popular than the Vita . . .

+ InfinitiProject on January 17th, 2014 at 5:51 am said:

I currently use a friend’s account to access HBO Go on my Nexus 5 so hopefully I can do the same with the PS3 & PS4 apps.

+ mastorofpuppetz on January 17th, 2014 at 6:23 am said:

Late January, still not even any communication on the next ps4 update, where is MP3, DLNA, you tube, headset support, friend notifications?

+ MKPACK on January 17th, 2014 at 6:32 am said:

This would be awesome if they had a subscription plan for those of us who will never again pay for an expensive cable TV service. Please make an alternative subscription plan!

+ angeryman on January 17th, 2014 at 7:26 am said:

This is great news. Now when can we expect Watch ESPN and/or NBC Live Extra?

+ keef_psn on January 17th, 2014 at 8:00 am said:

“With the HBO GO app on your PlayStation system…” Hurray!

“…and an HBO subscription via your cable or satellite provider…” …

Sigh.