Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Jan 22

TLOU Left Behind

The Last of Us: Left Behind Trailer, Interview

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Sid Shuman on Jan 22, 2014 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Following its strong showing in Game of the Year awards industry-wide, all eyes have turned towards the future of The Last of Us. And that would be The Last of Us: Left Behind, the upcoming story-driven epilogue written by TLOU scribe Neil Druckmann and starring Ashley Johnson as Ellie and Yaani King as Riley, Ellie’s older and arguably wiser friend.

Set before Joel and Ellie meet in The Last of Us, Left Behind will focus strongly on Ellie and Riley, adding intriguing new wrinkles to Ellie’s future relationship with Joel, as well as immersive details about the game’s decaying world.

With the DLC due out February 14th, we caught up with Ashley and Yaani to learn more about what makes Left Behind tick.

Today also marks the release of a new, full-length, in-game cinematic from The Last of Us: Left Behind. You’ll learn a lot about Ellie and Riley’s relationship and Left Behind’s narrative.

PAGE 1 2

+ max_live82 on January 22nd, 2014 at 10:48 pm said:

I’m happy to have purchased The Last of Us and Season Pass. In America, who Pre-Order Left Behind receives: – The Last of Us ™ Dynamic Theme Ellie
– The Last of U ™ s American Dreams Issue #1 digital download.

Also in Europe there are these bonuses?

+ kmetek on January 23rd, 2014 at 12:00 am said:

Eric: make a poll about “IF WE WANT MORE SP DLC” :)

+ tampaBAY on January 23rd, 2014 at 12:16 am said:

My PS3 HDD has been waiting patiently for this DLC.

+ Vigilante711 on January 23rd, 2014 at 4:48 am said:

When are you going to bring a PS4 version of The Last of Us to market? I know if Tomb Raider can do it, you guys can easily make it happen too!

+ NoleHater on January 23rd, 2014 at 4:58 am said:

I just recently bought The Last of Us but I’m going to wait until the DLC comes out to play it. Since Left Behind happens before the actual game I don’t want to ruin anything for me since I haven’t played TLoU yet and play it in order. (DLC then actual game)

+ Snake2410 on January 23rd, 2014 at 8:36 am said:

@ #39

You probably want to play through the main game first or else the dlc will ruin some things about it and possibly take away from the story for you. Just because its a prologue doesn’t mean it should necessarily be played first, before the first playthrough of the main game.

+ Welmosca on January 23rd, 2014 at 9:01 am said:

That graphics OMG…ND you just won’t stop at making me amazed will you?……..so we’ll be able to start a fight between humans and infected…that will be very fun.

+ Lelo4Ever on January 23rd, 2014 at 10:03 am said:

Don’t do that… the DLC WILL spoil some story for you… its interesting to see the evolution of the character relation with Joel during the main game BEFORE playing the DLC… playing the DLC before is going to ruin that… don’t do it… I’m not kidding… for the plot’s sake its the best course of action… play the main game and only after that the DLC… you’ll understand…

+ conquerator3 on January 23rd, 2014 at 10:15 am said:

What a wonderful Valentine’s day this will make!
As a big Ellie fan, thanks a lot ND! You really made my day! :D
Sooo looking forward to this…

+ Heritic_1995 on January 23rd, 2014 at 10:32 am said:

I Still havent even played the first one -.-

+ mrwings80 on January 23rd, 2014 at 2:18 pm said:

Great news. Long time PC gamer I bought a PS3 last month just to play this game. One of the best games I have ever played. Going to order this DLC now.

+ Strangeheaven on January 23rd, 2014 at 4:09 pm said:

Amazon UK have got Infamous Second Son Bundle for pre-order priced £384.99.

Im Very Tempted to buy it Hmmmmmm.

+ thezenguy on January 23rd, 2014 at 4:25 pm said:

and that is how u make a dlc. hopefully other developers will learn from this one…

+ JIMDAYTON2011 on January 23rd, 2014 at 5:01 pm said:

I have a Ps4 but I can’t look at no videos. Why wouldn’t you format this. You made the ps3 better than the Ps4 . your suppose to upgrade not downgrade systems.

+ goldenratio13 on January 23rd, 2014 at 6:30 pm said:

There’s only 2 games I’d be willing to buy a second time for my PS4. Minecraft and The Last of Us FTW.

+ PrinceofXIII on January 23rd, 2014 at 6:48 pm said:

lol i read the same BS they said about UC3 not havng GOTY and surprise surprise!

it’s gonna happen, Sony will force them to make a GOTY edition whether he likes it or not.

+ LUKATHEGAMER123 on January 23rd, 2014 at 7:45 pm said:

i hope this is for the PS4 and the actual last of us game should be on the PS4 but naughty dog doesn’t have to put the PS4 version of the last of us in stores (if its gonna be true) naughty dog could just put it on the PSN store

+ RulitoCR on January 23rd, 2014 at 9:03 pm said:

Why I don’t have the Season Pass!? What I am waiting for!?

+ puto09 on January 24th, 2014 at 12:00 am said:

I want YouTube on my ps4. I also don’t see why I can’t watch videos in the PlayStation blog on my ps4.

+ Alvaroducks on January 24th, 2014 at 1:10 am said:

i can,t wait

+ Dante3774 on January 24th, 2014 at 1:28 am said:

Beautiful game

+ MagRess on January 24th, 2014 at 1:11 pm said:

Tks Naughty Dog to bring back the REAL SURVIVAL HORROR!! I hope that Capcom becomes truly inspirited with this true survival horror game and produce something decent! Anyway, TLOU is a masterpiece and I am looking forward to play this DLC.

+ BlueDiamond93 on January 24th, 2014 at 5:19 pm said:

More Jak easter eggs??? or new Jak 4 easter eggs?? please!!!!!!!!! for PS4!

+ HugoStiglitz_420 on January 25th, 2014 at 9:04 am said:

Will there be an option to swap the sticks in Uncharted 4?

There was in Uncharted 2, and 3 but no option in the Last of Us. I asked for months on the forum and twitter to have it added but ND wouldn’t even respond, unlike Guerrilla Games who put it in the game within a week.

A lot of people use it, and especially in a competitive game like uncharted online, it’s completely unfair to leave out of the game. No one should have to relearn to play just for one game that doesn’t want to cater to thousands of players with a simple stick swap option.

+ Matrix_Lion on January 25th, 2014 at 11:42 am said:

Such a great game The Last of Us.

+ neuropunk on January 25th, 2014 at 1:17 pm said:

Why do people like this “game” (does it have enough gameplay to be considered a game)? It is so linear and does not allow you to play it how you want. It funnels you through it’s narrow hallways/paths, and gives no freedom of exploration and customization.

Also, nothing is special about the story. It is a hodge podge of most every zombie story ever written. Plus the gameplay has been done by stealth and TPS games for over a decade now. Everything about TLoU is very mediocre, so I have no idea WTF people like it.

Casuals who are impressed by shallow presentation/flash over substance? I would say a definite yes.

+ BlueDiamond93 on January 25th, 2014 at 5:29 pm said:

On a much more serious note.. I doubt this question will get answered as it’s a bit irrelevant, but let’s give it a shot. Also the question isn’t that much of a great one either, just a typical/average question. Why through the progression of the game was it not added/implemented to include the name of the new chapter you reach when you reach it (like in the Uncharted series)? I only ask this because it is rather a bit hard to tell when you reach a new chapter especially when someone has a schedule or plan to stop at a certain point in the game. For example someone may say, “I’m going to do one more chapter then go to bed.” How would they know without exiting the game? – rhetorical question.

P.S. I’m not complaining, just interested in knowing why this wasn’t added. With that said, I love this game (more than the UC series, but not more than the Jak series :)), platinumed this game a month after it’s release & look forward to all the rest of the DLC.

+ hornet123451 on February 1st, 2014 at 8:45 pm said:

Omg I can’t wait for the DLC. I beat the game 4 times already. 2 on hard and 2 on survivor. I can’t get enough of this game. I wish the story was like 30 hours long instead of 18.

+ Markd4547 on February 5th, 2014 at 11:07 am said:

Is uncharted 4 announced heard might just be cover up for LOU 2 and any idea about length for dlc

+ JimmyHACK on January 22nd, 2014 at 9:18 am said:

Happy Valentines Day!!!

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on January 22nd, 2014 at 7:44 pm said:

Happy valentine’s day indeed!

+ CHMURA_FAMILY on January 22nd, 2014 at 9:31 am said:

Awsome, can’t wait to play The Last of Us: Left Behind! Have booked my whole long weekend to play it, between studying for exams :P. Thanks Naughty Dog for being such an amazing studio. :)

+ Thwip on January 22nd, 2014 at 9:35 am said:

Although I certainly don’t want it to become the norm. The Last of Us is one of only a few titles I would double-dip on, to play on my PS4.

+ Shoryyuken on January 22nd, 2014 at 9:38 am said:

I’m looking forward to this a lot. The Last Of Us was the best game of 2013 by far & I can’t be more excited to go back to that world. Here’s hoping Naughty Dog finds a way to make a sequel without losing the magic it has in the original.

Nevertheless, I’m excited. Bring it!

+ Catcher_BR on January 22nd, 2014 at 9:53 am said:

i wish this was on PS4.

+ StealthReborn-- on January 22nd, 2014 at 9:56 am said:

Really really really looking forward to playing this. Although we already know what happens, it’s good to live that experience that we weren’t able to until now.

If I didn’t already pay for the Season Pass day 1, I’d be throwing more money at you guys! So I hope this suffices!

It’s the best I can do! =)

+ ottomat on January 22nd, 2014 at 10:01 am said:

Amazing! :)

+ jchill001 on January 22nd, 2014 at 10:09 am said:

in the first trailer at 2:48 it says reserve at lastofus.com for bonus material, what bonus material and if i have the season pass do i get it?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on January 22nd, 2014 at 7:45 pm said:

It’s the digital comic book – issue 1 of The Last of Us American Dreams and theme. We’re working on a way for the season pass holders to get it, yes.

+ Mando44646 on January 22nd, 2014 at 10:13 am said:

Looking forward to a TLOU GOTY edition on PS4 at some point in the future… :D

+ GABEv01 on January 22nd, 2014 at 10:14 am said:

Amazing preview! I cant wait!!!! Btw, I cant watch the videos posted here from the PS4s browser. Fix?

+ OMEGA_MEXICAN on January 22nd, 2014 at 10:17 am said:

Looks amazing. cant wait
Hope ND gets around to making an Infected Survival mode online =]

+ tusunami on January 22nd, 2014 at 10:37 am said:

So glad that i bought the season pass, this is just so spectacular. This will be a exciting to play!!!!!!!!!

+ Zacky-V-A7X on January 22nd, 2014 at 10:47 am said:

GOTY 2014 right here if uncharted ps4 isn’t released this year

+ yazter on January 22nd, 2014 at 10:54 am said:

Is this particular DLC *confirmed* to include Trophies? :)

Here’s hoping for TLOU with singleplayer-only DLC trophies! Uncharted 3 left a VERY sour aftertaste, which is why I’m praying we don’t get MP DLC

I communicated these concerns with the people of ND via PS Blog comments and they were very responsive. I just can’t help but worry about weird MP trophies a la Uncharted 3 that everyone will demand but no one will get, thereby screwing us all over :(

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on January 22nd, 2014 at 7:46 pm said:

TLOU: Left Behind will have trophies! More on that later!

+ Welmosca on January 22nd, 2014 at 10:56 am said:

So the leak was right….February 14th is the release date.I’m glad for it.Can’t wait.

+ oldsnake2103 on January 22nd, 2014 at 11:09 am said:

Thanks ND (y)

+ D-Squad3 on January 22nd, 2014 at 11:34 am said:

So far away!

+ Kchow23 on January 22nd, 2014 at 11:52 am said:

Shouldn’t it be a prologue instead of epilogue since it takes place before TLOU?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on January 22nd, 2014 at 7:48 pm said:

It is. Typo. Sorry!

+ Phillyblunz on January 22nd, 2014 at 11:53 am said:

Well I think $15 for DLC is a bit much normally, but for the LAst of US i will gladly pay.

Just make sure its not over in 1hr.

One of the reasons i will gladly pay for this DLC is to show ND that this game should get future SP DLC.

I dont buy MP DLC anymore, so I really hope more games with amazing stories like this make SP DLC more often.

Take my money, and get to work on the next one!

Also please confirm The Last of Us 2 for PS4……

+ Kchow23 on January 22nd, 2014 at 12:10 pm said:

@19 Get the season pass.. for $20 way better value.

+ kmetek on January 22nd, 2014 at 12:31 pm said:

any rumours about THE LAST OF US 2 PS4?

PAGE 1 2