Overwatch

Jan 23

Jan 23

Hands-on with Strider on PS4

Ryan Clements's Avatar Posted by Senior Specialist, SIEA Social Media

Strider on PS4

The wintry streets of Kazakh City are teeming with soldiers, automated sentry turrets, and terrified citizens. This striking blend of Russian architecture and dystopian elements set the stage for Strider, which launches for PS3 and PS4 next month. When we first saw Strider running last year, we enjoyed an early look at the PS3 version. This time the PS4 version took the spotlight.

Set in an alternate future of Earth, the world is ruled by the mysterious Grandmaster Meio. Hiryu, the youngest recruit of the Strider program, accepts the mission to eliminate Meio and end his tyrannical supremacy. Hiryu arrives in Kazakh City and is quickly engulfed in conflict.

At its core, Strider is a side-scrolling action game with breathless combat and a near feverish pace. Players explore Kazakh and earn upgrades and powers along the way, which in turn enable them to access more areas of the map. All the action revolves around Hiryu, who blazes across rooftops, over wires, through buildings, and down walls with an absolute dominion over fear. Anything that stands in his way gets sliced to ribbons by his indestructible plasma weapon, the Cypher.

Strider on PS4Strider on PS4

The PS4 version of Strider runs about as smooth as Hiryu does (read: smooth). As players traverse the environment and cut up the opposition, the screen explodes with light effects, smoke, laser fire, and the sizzling remnants of fallen soldiers. The tension rarely lets up, and keeps a breakneck pace throughout the opening sections of the campaign.

DualShock 4 fits Strider perfectly, with responsive controls and a satisfying, oft-used attack button. The developers at Double Helix have made a tremendous effort to align the visual and aural feedback of Strider together. This makes cutting through lines of enemies blissful, as the sound effects and on-screen feedback mesh with intoxicating elegance. Who knew that pounding away at the Square button could be so sublime?

Clicking the touchpad opens up a map of the world, which is crammed with useful information. Based on the starting areas, Strider’s play space is sizeable. Pulling up the map for reference and doubling back for secrets is critical to Hiryu’s success, and also helps players keep track of secret upgrades that might otherwise be missed. And like other action games of this type, health and energy upgrades are paramount to survival.

Strider on PS4Strider on PS4

Strider on PS4

Click here to see the full gallery

Kazakh itself is laced with details both large and small — which are easy to miss with Hiryu leaping frantically from one location to another. Massive buildings rise up through the snow in the backdrop. Monuments stand rigid and gaze down with a menacing air. Citizens wait for trains in the station, and computer monitors flicker on their ceiling mounts. Hiryu sprints through homes, libraries, storage facilities, and palaces — all while avoiding enemy fire and cutting down his enemies.

But don’t linger on the sights for too long — Hiryu has a mission to complete, and Kazakh’s military is hell bent on stopping him. Fortunately for us, taking them on is a lot of fun, and gives players a lot of stuff to split apart with a glowing energy weapon.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

VendettaLion said:

January 23rd, 12:05 am

I CANNOT WAIT! One of my all time favorite (classic) franchises is making its return!

Sonicfan11589 said:

January 23rd, 12:05 am

I actually never played a Strider game before, but i am interested in this one, Any info on price?

Ryan Clements's Avatar

Ryan Clements said:

January 23rd, 10:26 am

Currently, Capcom has stated in its documentation that the price will be $14.99. That may be subject to change, as I can’t speak on behalf of that team!

Cheers!

jelanidozier said:

January 23rd, 12:07 am

Ya this looks pretty cool would like to know price also

Ryan Clements's Avatar

Justin Massongill said:

January 23rd, 12:13 am

NINJA METROIDVANIA YES

MasLegius said:

January 23rd, 1:34 am

are these screenshots from the PS3-version?

TJF588 said:

January 23rd, 1:41 am

“Clicking the touchpad opens up a map of the world,” — Ah, so the touchscreen’s “R/L3 ‘button'” is the DualShock 4’s “SELECT” button. Sneaky devils.

Anyway, needs more Vita-as-a-controller functionality, if it’s not there. Just assign the map to the Vita’s screen, like that neat-o (and ahead of its time) GameCube-Game Boy Advance compatibility.

But aside, slick that a new Strider’s comin’ out, even though any appreciation I have for the property is through others’ adulations.

StalkerD said:

January 23rd, 2:11 am

Sooo how about preparing for this upcoming release by making available on PSN the PSX Classic Strider 1&2? This seems like an ideal moment for allowing us to play the rest of the series on the PS Vita….

MapleStory said:

January 23rd, 2:27 am

Oh god, Double Helix. PLEEEASE don’t screw this up. I’ve been a huge Strider fan since I was a wee lad (and still play the arcade cabinet of it to this day over at Barcade in Brooklyn) and when I heard that Capcom wasn’t developing it internally, I couldn’t help but feel a bit disappointed. Strider 2 wasn’t perfect but it did the character and gameplay justice.

This new one looks pretty good from what I’ve seen but I guess we’ll find out on release. Will end up buying it regardless but I still wish Capcom would stop handing off all their main franchises off to other developers.

ALEXBERSERK said:

January 23rd, 2:29 am

@4, Hey Justin. Join Playstation plus! Where is your symbol? lol

Ryan Clements's Avatar

Justin Massongill said:

January 23rd, 10:04 am

Hah! Good catch, I never noticed that. My Plus symbol doesn’t show up here because the account I use to write on PS.Blog is separate from my personal PSN account. :)

Hooligantuan said:

January 23rd, 2:42 am

Looks like a PS3 game. The models, textures, environments… none of it looks like it’s even flirting with the power of the PS4.

TeamGreen615 said:

January 23rd, 5:34 am

Loved Strider back in the day on the Genesis!

Ryan Clements's Avatar

Ryan Clements said:

January 23rd, 10:27 am

Nice! Hope you like this one.

avluis said:

January 23rd, 5:35 am

REALLY looking forward to this game! Can’t wait!

FifthDream said:

January 23rd, 6:03 am

NEED.

KazeEternal said:

January 23rd, 6:09 am

Cross – (buy/play/save/trophies) with the PS3 version?

What advantages does the PS4 version have over the PS3 version?

viceforce said:

January 23rd, 6:26 am

Never played a Strider game before but looks at the shots remains me of Mega Man X so color me interested.

SegaSaturn617 said:

January 23rd, 6:59 am

In Japan, the PS3 version is going to come with Strider 1 and 2. What I would like to know if this is going to have those games for free too for the US? Also, if they will come with the PS4 version too? I am really hoping the PS4 version has those games for free, if not I’ll probably get the PS3 one just for those two free games alone. Been dying to play the first two for a very long time.

TomatoDragon said:

January 23rd, 7:05 am

Wow! I haven’t played Strider since the NES. Cant wait!

faraway25 said:

January 23rd, 7:07 am

Release date release date release date release date!

er910 said:

January 23rd, 7:37 am

One of my top 5 games of 2014. Loved both the NES and arcade versions.

snakeeyes211 said:

January 23rd, 7:57 am

Will the game have a platinum

ERC1980 said:

January 23rd, 8:29 am

2 questions for you Mr Clements

1). Release date?

2). Price?

Ryan Clements's Avatar

Ryan Clements said:

January 23rd, 10:29 am

Release date: no specific date, outside of “February.”

Capcom has stated in its documentation that the price will be $14.99. But I can’t speak on behalf of the team, so that information is subject to change!

Welmosca said:

January 23rd, 8:45 am

Not interested on the PS4 version…now where’s PS3 version?…anyway…Strider is by far one of the best and coolest video game characters…..I can’t wait to play this game…hope its good.

Welmosca said:

January 23rd, 8:48 am

@ 14 KazeEternal – None.

RyuZX said:

January 23rd, 9:40 am

I look forward to getting this… on my PS3.

And I agree with others commenting here that Strider 1 & 2, the PS One releases, should be put out as a PS One Classic for PS3 and PSP/Vita.

gold_og_roger said:

January 23rd, 9:50 am

Loved this franchise since the Sega Genesis\ MegaDrive days. Looking good Double Helix. Capcom bring Strider 2 to PSN!

MakoSoul said:

January 23rd, 10:10 am

Aww, this would be such a better PS4 PS+ collection game than Outlast.

Sonicfan11589 said:

January 23rd, 11:09 am

I would not mind paying $15 for a metroidvania style ninja game.

PrinceofXIII said:

January 23rd, 11:35 am

will the US Version include the PS1 Strider 1 and 2 games like Japan is getting in their own release?

would love to play all the official Strider games in one console.

tusunami said:

January 23rd, 11:45 am

Hopefully this comes out when it’s supposed to. Because this looks to be the year that games are getting pushed back more than once like Drive Club.

SDkngsht said:

January 23rd, 11:50 am

dude i just to love this game on Genesis. can’t wait to check this out. it’ll look gorgeous in motion.

StalkerD said:

January 23rd, 11:56 am

I hope US gets a bundle with Strider 1 and 2 as well…

KiLLz4Twinkies said:

January 23rd, 12:43 pm

Looking to come to PS+ for PS4 along with Outlast??????

WrekGar said:

January 23rd, 12:58 pm

I’m gonna be refreshing the PS Store every minute that day until I can download it. I remember playing the Sega Genesis version and beating it then playing it again & again & again till I could beat it without being touched.

INFIDEL_JIHAD said:

January 23rd, 1:38 pm

Not just yes but hell yes … I knew strider was coming out but not this soon … Strider was one of my favs back in the day and at 14.99 Shut the front door! I would easily pay more to have Strider on my Ps4

INFIDEL_JIHAD said:

January 23rd, 1:42 pm

@ 23 I’m thinking it may look better on Ps4 ?

DirtySoap3D said:

January 23rd, 2:03 pm

@Welmosca #22+23 – Where’s the PS3 version? If you bothered reading the article, they mention it, and even link to their previous hands-on for that version. Also, Capcom specifically stated that they’re targeting 1080p and 60fps on the PS4 version, implying that’s definitely not happening on PS3.

califoreigner said:

January 23rd, 2:36 pm

I was watching them stream this on capcoms twitch the other day. reminds me a bit of the one xbla game I always wanted on psn, but never got (shadow complex). anyway, looks like double helix nailed it on this one

Metros269 said:

January 23rd, 2:58 pm

I remember playing this game in the arcades when they were in every candy store. I can’t WAIT for this!

Souledge94 said:

January 23rd, 3:44 pm

I will be getting this for ps4.Though of course i will wait for awesome ps store sales.

INFIDEL_JIHAD said:

January 23rd, 4:42 pm

I wish someone would bring road rash to the ps4 with online multiplayer

ITZMACMATIC said:

January 23rd, 4:46 pm

Can’t wait for this game. I didn’t think i would ever see a strider game again

Husteen said:

January 23rd, 4:49 pm

UMVC3 has made me beyond tired of strider, but this game does look cool.

ccanfield1 said:

January 23rd, 5:23 pm

Man if this game had a preorder bonus of the original Strider game, it would be a must buy for anyone. I’m excited to see what the new take on an old classic plays like. Hope there is a demo to try soon.

alphagoku1 said:

January 23rd, 6:45 pm

sooooooooo….. ANY info on …. oh, I don’t know, mercenary kings? or tower fall ascension…. hell divers, planet side2? something that was supposed to be out yet? this is looking good as far as something awesome to play, don’t get me wrong, but this isn’t what my interest has been invested in, please, please PLEASE give me something about some of ( or all, or any really) of those long awaited games that ive been waiting semi patiently for lol……… PLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEE!?

Maj_Mosh said:

January 23rd, 7:01 pm

Day one buy for me! I use to play it on Sega genesis back in the day for sooo many hrs.

XtraTrstrL said:

January 23rd, 7:11 pm

I remember buying the Genesis version for like $75, because it was like the biggest cartridge game at the time or something. Strider is a long time favorite, but I cannot understand for the life of me why Capcom can’t get it through their heads not to outsource such franchises. It’s Strider! come on Capcom. I love the metroidvania-ness of it, but the art-style isn’t that catchy to me, definitely not for a next gen console version. I’m still gonna keep an eye on it, but I really wish Capcom would actually follow through with what they say sometimes. They said the constant outsourcing would stop, yet, here we are again. Anyhow, I still hope it turns out to be good.

Aleonsight said:

January 23rd, 7:12 pm

Cannot wait for it this great. I hope capcom keep it going they have so much material to work on

SpooNManX said:

January 23rd, 7:23 pm

These games really need to be Cross-Buy. I am still enjoying the PS3, but in a month or 2 I plan on moving over to the PS4.. So my only choices are to pay twice for the same game or wait a few months to buy it. Either way most people will only pay once so why not make it a Cross-Buy title?

I also think this should come with Strider 1 & 2 like the Japanese are getting with their purchase.
At the very least they should be offered for sale, but I think offering them as a pre-order deal would make more sense.

Dondada said:

January 23rd, 8:06 pm

Where are the PS4 demos??

EJ25VF34GD7 said: